What to do with so many guards?

What to do with so many guards?

There are 114 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 28, 2007, titled What to do with so many guards?. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana University basketball coach Kelvin Sampson will find himself in a unique situation tonight against Chicago State.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Hoops

Winona Lake, IN

#106 Dec 29, 2007
IU fan no more wrote:
<quoted text>
yes I'm sure you don't want me kind. The kind that plays by with integrity and by the rules. You would prefer to have a cheating coach and a cheating program just to get a few hollow victories.
What is going to make it even worse is when IU loses in the first round of the NCAA tournament. So even when IU cheats they still lose.
Son, you should take some classes on ethics. Hopefully they aren't taught by Sampson, because he doesn't know the first thing about being ethical.
Thanks for your insight Ol Righteous One. Like I said earlier, you'll have a chance to confess your sins tomorrow morning.
JacksonB

Indianapolis, IN

#107 Dec 29, 2007
LOL wrote:
Wow.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt070...
IU plays #270 Chicago State? Really? Is that going to get IU prepared for the Big Ten season next week? ReallY?
And that following that grueling game against #298 Coppin State!
(And #332 Longwood! And #280 Tenn. State! And #286 Western Carolina!)
IU's strength if schedule is now a scintillating 270!!!!!!!!
Kudos, IU! No wonder Cellvin Sanctions begged to get out of that game against IUPUI this year!
IU's schedule is the weakest of anyone in the Big 10.
And the ACC.
And the Atlantic 10.
And the Big Sky.
And the Big West.
And the Horizon.
And the Ivy League (!).
And the Missouri Valley.
And the Pac-10.
And the Southern.
And the Southwestern.
And the Summit League.
And the West Coast.
(Weaker than anyone in the Ivy League? Really?)
Do any of you really think that playing the dregs of the NCAA will make IU a better team? Really? Do you think that perhaps a game against a tough opponent might actually teach IU how to play against the big boys?
Maybe that's why Cellvin couldn't win a single game in the Big Ten tourney last year (losing to a lower seed). Maybe that's why IU went 5-6 over their last eleven games last year. Maybe that's why Cellvin's last seven Oklahoma NCAA teams all lost to lower seeds (teams that included IU, Purdue, and even Indiana State).
With an experienced team, why is Cellvin scheduling the weakest schedule in the Big Ten and 13 OTHER CONFERENCES??????
He's not just a cheater and liar; he's also a coward.
Obsess much? Holy crap man.

Sounds like another Purdue WHINER upset with the fact that his team got embarrassed by WOFFORD.

Since: Jul 07

United States

#108 Dec 29, 2007
JacksonB wrote:
<quoted text>
Obsess much? Holy crap man.
Sounds like another Purdue WHINER upset with the fact that his team got embarrassed by WOFFORD.
All that research and Wofford kicked them to the curb.

Poor Pee Ewe fans. LOL should be a coach, an analyst, a TV commentator. Oops. He is a noone.

Hard to be a Pee Ewe fan nowadays. Give them a break.
big deal

United States

#109 Dec 29, 2007
nice picture of the cheater and mr. I can't make grades. Jucos, suspensions, cheating coaches, one and dones, prep school qualifiers, lemming fans, spineless AD and admin, cupcake schedule...how can anyone with character support this? They can't. Those who do, enjoy your ignorant bliss.
Fan of IU

Marysville, OH

#110 Dec 29, 2007
Hoosierdaddy wrote:
<quoted text>
All that research and Wofford kicked them to the curb.
Poor Pee Ewe fans. LOL should be a coach, an analyst, a TV commentator. Oops. He is a noone.
Hard to be a Pee Ewe fan nowadays. Give them a break.
hey hoosierdaddy, lets u en me praktise this copy and paste thing, wofford is gittin harder en harder to member how too spell. is pee ewe the new sayin fer pu in that there big city en clarksberg? i like to lern lingo from the rich foke. like u, i ma runnin outta things to say to rubbit in thear fases, u need to gimme more miterial.

wofford, banners, er insight bowl, cmu, florida int. bnaners, hobby.

GO iu, were fer u
Chemical Imbalance

Indianapolis, IN

#111 Dec 29, 2007
LOL wrote:
Wow.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt070...
IU plays #270 Chicago State? Really? Is that going to get IU prepared for the Big Ten season next week? ReallY?
And that following that grueling game against #298 Coppin State!
(And #332 Longwood! And #280 Tenn. State! And #286 Western Carolina!)
IU's strength if schedule is now a scintillating 270!!!!!!!!
Kudos, IU! No wonder Cellvin Sanctions begged to get out of that game against IUPUI this year!
IU's schedule is the weakest of anyone in the Big 10.
And the ACC.
And the Atlantic 10.
And the Big Sky.
And the Big West.
And the Horizon.
And the Ivy League (!).
And the Missouri Valley.
And the Pac-10.
And the Southern.
And the Southwestern.
And the Summit League.
And the West Coast.
(Weaker than anyone in the Ivy League? Really?)
Do any of you really think that playing the dregs of the NCAA will make IU a better team? Really? Do you think that perhaps a game against a tough opponent might actually teach IU how to play against the big boys?
Maybe that's why Cellvin couldn't win a single game in the Big Ten tourney last year (losing to a lower seed). Maybe that's why IU went 5-6 over their last eleven games last year. Maybe that's why Cellvin's last seven Oklahoma NCAA teams all lost to lower seeds (teams that included IU, Purdue, and even Indiana State).
With an experienced team, why is Cellvin scheduling the weakest schedule in the Big Ten and 13 OTHER CONFERENCES??????
He's not just a cheater and liar; he's also a coward.
It's that time of the month again...

Stay away from this guy when he's got sharp objects. Not quite stable.

And stay away from heavy machinery as well. Wouldn't want to get hurt during one of your episodes.
IndyStar Fan

Cicero, IL

#112 Dec 30, 2007
big deal wrote:
nice picture of the cheater and mr. I can't make grades. Jucos, suspensions, cheating coaches, one and dones, prep school qualifiers, lemming fans, spineless AD and admin, cupcake schedule...how can anyone with character support this? They can't. Those who do, enjoy your ignorant bliss.
What planet do you live on? Please spare us any more of your dumb rants.
Bill Clinton

United States

#113 Dec 30, 2007
Actually...I have a constructive idea. Send all the IU guards to the Insight Bowl so there are more than 8500 fans there.
Mr Wayne

Dallas, TX

#114 Dec 31, 2007
Defensive Box Score, is sorely needed by the IU team. Recently DJ White reported his goal was to have a double double this year for every game. He would do wise to set a goal of a defensive double double. But what would that be? Lets face it, if the greatest defensive player in the NBA played for IU what would he do to the opposing player? Certainly we would expect the opposing player to turn the ball over, to want the ball less, to have fewer assists, poor shooting percentage ect. Perhaps points below average, pba of 10 for the opposing player. Rebounds below average, rba of 10 that would be a double double for DJ to shoot for. How about assists below average, aba for the opposing player. But IU should get some defensive goals set up so players can have some tangible goals to shoot for. Its very disappointing when the opposing player has a break out game against IU. Or even worse when the opposing team has a player that IU just can't seem to stop. Of course, DJ rests during the game, and the points scored by the opposing player should not be counted against DJ then. Half of the game IU is on defense, something must be done to honor the defensive efforts of the players on the team. Bill Russel, of the Boston Celtics, defensive efforts were measured not just what he did to the opposing player but to the opposing team as a whole. We need a defensive play maker, that directs the defense, a guy that disrupts the passing lanes, that forces the other team into taking bad shots. Lets create some new stats, lets hear DJ say I also want a double double on the defensive end of the court. To develop a great defensive team and a great offensive team wouldn't that be a great New Year's Resolution?
Fran Romero

Clarksville, TN

#115 Dec 31, 2007
These posts, for the most part, are totally lacking in substance. I am an IU alum and fan but would not retaliate to the hateful messages shown here. Yesterday is gone and so are the people who guided the former teams, so let them go. It is hurtful to our players to constantly read such things. Please give them and their families a break.
Fell Down Got Funked Up

United States

#116 Dec 31, 2007
It's amusing to see people get so morally outraged over Sampson's phone calls. The same people who didn't care that Mr. Knight was physically abusing players, students, police officers, and university employees. It comes off as hypocritical at worst and disproportionate at best.

You want to know things in college athletics that are more serious than phone calls?

1. Payments to to players like Reggie Bush (something to the tune of $200,000 in two years)

2. Massive academic fraud (just how many football players from FSU were suspended before the bowl game again?)

3. Steroid and HGH abuse (no way people start using only when they turn pro)

But in the minds of the loudest of the Sampson critics, a phone call is the highest offense known to man.
Woody Boyd

Bloomington, IN

#117 Dec 31, 2007
Bill Clinton wrote:
Actually...I have a constructive idea. Send all the IU guards to the Insight Bowl so there are more than 8500 fans there.
***Go SUCK a cigar Billy Boilermaker***
Woody Boyd

Bloomington, IN

#118 Dec 31, 2007
big deal wrote:
nice picture of the cheater and mr. I can't make grades. Jucos, suspensions, cheating coaches, one and dones, prep school qualifiers, lemming fans, spineless AD and admin, cupcake schedule...how can anyone with character support this? They can't. Those who do, enjoy your ignorant bliss.
***YES I.U. is kicking ass this year alright!!!*** PURDUI SUCKS BIG TIME!
Bill Clinton

United States

#119 Jan 1, 2008
Fran Romero wrote:
These posts, for the most part, are totally lacking in substance. I am an IU alum and fan but would not retaliate to the hateful messages shown here. Yesterday is gone and so are the people who guided the former teams, so let them go. It is hurtful to our players to constantly read such things. Please give them and their families a break.
Huh? The current coach is suspicious at best. Some of the current players are behaving suspiciously at best. Some of the current recruits are of dubious ilk...at best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago State Cougars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UH roars past Chicago State - Hawaii Sports (Dec '09) Dec '09 alice 1
Chicago State Videos/dvds (May '09) May '09 ilovethisgame1 1
News CSU's Holston back for more (Nov '08) Apr '09 chicago sporting 4
News Ryan Toolson scores 63 points and Utah Valley S... (Jan '09) Jan '09 chicago sporting 1
News THE STAR: Chicago State's David Holston (Jan '09) Jan '09 chicago sporting 2
3 NBA Prospects End Epic Battle in Chicago (Jan '09) Jan '09 chicago sporting 1
News UCF's Taylor in for showdown with Chicago State... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Old Fan 2