It's good to be back

There are 29 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 7, 2008, titled It's good to be back. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

When Gary Williams left here in the spring of 1986 for Ohio State after a successful four-year run at Boston College, he was one of college basketball's up-and-coming coaches.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve

Vienna, VA

#21 Feb 7, 2008
Mr. Silence is Golden, please remain silent next time. Your comments are wack. Winning National titles aren't easy, ask the New England Pat why they didn't win the Superbowl after going 18-0. The reason and you should know this already is any can be beaten in a single elimination game. All you can do is make the NCAA tournament and see what happens. Now on the performance of my Terps, they are playing well and need to continue of this tear. They will make the NCAA, just need to take care of business at Comcast Center. As I mention earlier in the season the Terps will be better during the later part of the year, and that is holding true. The Dukies are in trouble next time we meet, because Maryland will be extremely confident on the road and will stun DUKE. Please watch and see how you beat DUKE. The Terps match up better than UNC.

Fear the Turtle, and FRO.
Silence is Golden

AOL

#22 Feb 7, 2008
the terps beat dook because gary outcoaches the guy who claims 795 wins...actually if the other williams wants to be known as a great coach he should take some lessons from gary.
ps if you are a probability guy the probability of the other williams and the weasel are very high every year to win a national championship however they don't and they aren't good bets
Bill K

Baltimore, MD

#23 Feb 7, 2008
Congratulations Coach Williams. MAybe he is not the greatest coach in the world but, I have much respect for Gary Williams. he doesn't get the Blue Chippers that Duke and North Carolina gets, but he'll put together a great competative team year after year.

I've been a Terp basketball fan for many years. I love to see the young guys fight for a win. I love it even more when Gary and the guys knock off a highly rated team.

Right now it looks to be an interesting year. March is only a month away.
jdwilde1

Baltimore, MD

#24 Feb 7, 2008
Two complaints: 1) Why wasn't this game televised in the baltimore area? I had to listen on the radio.

2) The poll question says: "Will you miss not having Bob Knight in college basketball?" (This asks whether you miss the days when Bob Knight wasn't coaching. Presumably during the time b/w Indiana & Texas Tech b/c no one was alive before Knight was coaching Army).

This is really poor writing for a newspaper. It should read "Will you miss having Bob Knight in college basketball."

Now that I think about it I do miss the days of Bobby Knight not coaching b/c the Ravens won the Super Bowl and the Terps went to the final 4 in the NCAA.
Oralious

Baltimore, MD

#25 Feb 7, 2008
Congrats to Gary on a well deserved 600th win. What more could a Terp fan/student/alum possibly want? Gary's passion and loyalty for his alma mater outweighs any and all negatives. I was a 13 year old kid at Lefty'd camp in June '86. Lest we not forget the depths this program has come from!! All hail GW!!!!
gratefulben

Ellicott City, MD

#26 Feb 7, 2008
For what it's worth I find it interesting that one of the most disappointing Terps teams was filled with a lot of "potential" All-Americans. Gilchrist, Caner-Medley and Garrison were as heralded as any group that Gary recruited. But they were either too soft, borderline psychotic or both. The exception was Strawberry, arguably the least talented but most hungry. And while he is only getting to play a minute here or there in Phoenix, he still did make the Show. This current squad is of relatively lower pedigree but have compensated by accepting Gary's program. Frankly, I'll take the underdog anytime. That's what makes being a Terrapin unique. Go Terps, Go!!
charlie

Pfafftown, NC

#27 Feb 7, 2008
well said
Scott G

Frederick, MD

#28 Feb 7, 2008
gratefulben wrote:
For what it's worth I find it interesting that one of the most disappointing Terps teams was filled with a lot of "potential" All-Americans. Gilchrist, Caner-Medley and Garrison were as heralded as any group that Gary recruited. But they were either too soft, borderline psychotic or both. The exception was Strawberry, arguably the least talented but most hungry. And while he is only getting to play a minute here or there in Phoenix, he still did make the Show. This current squad is of relatively lower pedigree but have compensated by accepting Gary's program. Frankly, I'll take the underdog anytime. That's what makes being a Terrapin unique. Go Terps, Go!!
Thats exactly why GW is such a great coach. He gets more out of less. Dixon was never a heralded recruit. Look at a lot of GW's better teams. And then look at the one's the underachieved. Which teams faired better? Danny Miller, he was heralded, and was a good player, but he xferred, and where is he now? People said Dixon and Blake wouldd never make it in the NBA, but who is there and not from that great recruiting class? My sister was attending UM with that class of Gilcrest, Medley etc. From she told me, some of these guys we not really concentrating on ball while there. Remember the stories of Dixon spending Friday night's with his gf at Cole shooting for 3 hours? Thats why those guys won. And for a little tidbit, if I talled correctly, beginning with the 99-00 season (8 seasons not including this one) UMD is 9-11 against Duke (4-4 at Cameron) and 7-9 against UNC (2-4 at Smith Center). That says enough itself.Two other reasons Duke and UMD do so well too, familiarity. Take a look around the ACC and how many coaches have been at their schools as long? How many coaches who did well then left for other teams, or were run out? K was almost run out of Duke after his first few years. And don't forget what UMD went through when GW arrived. Gary was very loyal to the group that came in then, even though were not as good as the following few years. GW could have won a lot more games those first 4 years if he had played his best players.
A Graybeard Terps Fan

Metairie, LA

#29 Feb 9, 2008
I was out of town and had to wait to watch the game on my DVR late last night. Impressive performance, now that Vasquez is settling down, Gist is skying and shooting, Boom is booming, Milbourne is developing (ditto Hayes) and the team has scaled the flex learning curve. I was never a GW hater, but that low spot earlier in the season, when Ohio and American were embarrassing the Terps at home, was making me wonder whether the time had arrived for Gary to consider hanging them up. This has been a stellar coaching job. In his ability to teach the game GW rivals another justly famed hothead: Bobby Knight.

In any event, I'm eating my words and savoring the taste. Even Greivis Vasquez, over whom I have blown hot and cold on this blog, is soaring on my exchange.(I wish my frigging 401K was.)

Hey, I'm a fan. We're mercurial by nature. It's what have you done for me lately, baby?! Well, the Terps are doing a lot, and the turnaround has turned a sour winter into hopeful spring.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boston College Eagles NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: Gabe Moton Granted Release From Boston ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 knowledgeable 1
News Va. Tech stumbles against BC (Mar '11) Mar '11 KevG523 1
News Reggie Jackson favourite to return to Eagles (Feb '11) Feb '11 greg 1
News Boston College switching gears under Donohue (Nov '10) Nov '10 GOEAGLES 1
News Ravenel's Improvement Should Add Frontcourt Depth (Dec '09) Jul '10 dad 2
News Evan Ravenel is latest player to ask Boston Col... (May '10) Jul '10 dad 24
News Men's college basketball: 6-8 transfer adds siz... (Jun '10) Jun '10 family 8
More from around the web