It's good to be back

There are 29 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 7, 2008, titled It's good to be back. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

When Gary Williams left here in the spring of 1986 for Ohio State after a successful four-year run at Boston College, he was one of college basketball's up-and-coming coaches.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jim

Baltimore, MD

#1 Feb 7, 2008
Gary Williams!!! He has the team motivated and the players follow his coaching to a tee. GO TERPS!!!
John

Centreville, VA

#2 Feb 7, 2008
Where's all the nay-sayers that were calling for Gary's head earlier in the season? Crawl out from the rocks you're hiding beneath and admit you were wrong!!!
ryan

Alexandria, VA

#3 Feb 7, 2008
When GV plays like he did last night...forget about the points...3 t.o's and only 1-2 bad shots, this team can play with anybody. definitely his best game...lets hope it continues
Tripp

United States

#4 Feb 7, 2008
Great win...and besides the Gary Williams naysayers, I hope that the hating on Greives tones down a bit. Sure, the guy does sometimes take bone head shots and gets out of control sometimes. But he's a major reason the Terps are one of the hottest teams in the nation right now. This should be a fun second half ACC season. And the ACC Tourny might actually provide Terps fans w/ some true entertaiment. This is a very entertaining team to watch.
Darren

Gwynn Oak, MD

#5 Feb 7, 2008
Congrats Gary!
jack

Baltimore, MD

#6 Feb 7, 2008
Sounds like it was a really good game -- now can someone tell me why it wasn't broadcast here?? And why we couldn't see the ESPN broadcast of Duke V. UNC?
Jon

Bloomington, IN

#7 Feb 7, 2008
Hats off to Gary, What a amazing job he's done with this team.
Peter

Manassas, VA

#8 Feb 7, 2008
the UNC/Duke game was broadcast locally last nite on channel 54, when that happens, ESPN blacks out their broadcast to the viewing area....
Rich

Finksburg, MD

#9 Feb 7, 2008
WE LOVE GARY!...and yes, Vasquez is developing into a phemominal talent...love his passion! Just gotta keep those turnovers under control...if he continues to do that, he's got a great future! Go Terps!
bill

Washington, DC

#10 Feb 7, 2008
GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY!
JHUTERP

AOL

#11 Feb 7, 2008
very difficult to reconcile given start of season..must be coaching
Booth must be doing a wonderful job with Boom and Gist..Gary has his hands full with Griefous..but must have it managed..they just might be the second best team in ACC the next 8 games are going to be very interesting for this team and turtlu's program..lots of fun now
Terp92

United States

#12 Feb 7, 2008
Not bad for a guy who can't coach or recruit (rolls eyes).

This should keep the haters off the board--at least until next game.

Gary knows what he's doing. Case closed.
terps19

Montréal, Canada

#13 Feb 7, 2008
So WHERE are all these negative critics now? Here I kept saying give this team some time and see what they are in the second half of the season. Well from last in the ACC to 3rd isn't too shabby. Now 5-3 in ACC and 15 wins and 8 games to go in the regular season. Duke is our toughest opponent the rest of the year and half the games are at CP comcast center. I wish I were back in MD able to watch this exciting team.

AND

GARY! GARY! GARY! GARY !GARY! ITS GARYLAND BABY!
Charlie

Harrisburg, NC

#14 Feb 7, 2008
I have been critical of this team, and based upon the way they were playing they deserved it. I don't think any of the critics need to admit they were wrong, because they weren't. This team lost to American at home. When you do that you deserve criticism, regardless of how young you are. They are now playing a completely different brand of basketball and I give them props for that. They stayed tough and turned it around. People on here asking where the critics are now, were you out there defending this team when they were playing the worst basketball MD has played in over 10 years? Some were, but I think most were not. We are critical because we love this team and it was painful to watch them play. I was so down on Vasquez because this type of play is what I expected based upon last year. Face it, he has played some brutal basketball at points during this season. I hope he keeps up the good play, because if he does, this team will be a tough out.
Maryland Baller

Prague, Czech Republic

#15 Feb 7, 2008
The State is doing such a great job producing talent, I just wish Williams could get more in-state talent to come to MD. http://www.teesweekly.com/hotbeds.html
Bert Jones

Washington, DC

#16 Feb 7, 2008
600 wins is cute
-Coach K (795 and counting!)
GoTerps

United States

#17 Feb 7, 2008
Come on homers, get real. The Terps lost to American and Ohio, back to back. The also barely beat a bad Northeastern team in overtime and barely beat lowly Hampton. That's why their RPI is still only in the mid-60s, even after their winning streak. If they can get to 18 wins before the ACC tournament, I think they'll get in. But critics who wonder why Maryland can't get blue chip players have a point. MD has gotten just one five star player since winning the national title. They got lucky to get Gilcrest after he decommitted from VT and needed a JUCO recruit in Bowman to help fill out the front line for next year. Not exactly pulling in the big ones!Ironically, the Terps streak has come with Gary changing his coaching philosophy and limiting substitutions, another complaint of critics and potential recruits. But give Gary this, he is great at taking low level Division 1 players and getting every ounce of talent out of them.

Since: Dec 07

Houston

#18 Feb 7, 2008
Congratulations to Gary. You will always be a hero to the Terrapin faithful.
Early Prediction: Maryland will be a 4 seed or better come Tournament time. This is a team that no one will want to see in their bracket.
Dave

Washington, DC

#19 Feb 7, 2008
Terps need to get some points from the bench. Especially from Neal and Bowie need to be more consistant coming into the game. Congrats to Gary nice personal goal but the season is far more important at this time of year. If the Terps keep playing like they did last night then they will get a medium seed come tourney time.
Silence is Golden

AOL

#20 Feb 7, 2008
I could get 795 wins and counting with 8 blue chippers a year or more! the weasel and the crying williams get a whole lot more credit than they deserve. Why they don't have national champsionships galore is teh reason they ain't as good as people and dickie deep throat v think or tell us. The Calhouns, GVs and Boeheims of the world and yes in his day ole bobby knight make/made teams by coaching

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boston College Eagles NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: Gabe Moton Granted Release From Boston ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 knowledgeable 1
News Va. Tech stumbles against BC (Mar '11) Mar '11 KevG523 1
News Reggie Jackson favourite to return to Eagles (Feb '11) Feb '11 greg 1
News Boston College switching gears under Donohue (Nov '10) Nov '10 GOEAGLES 1
News Ravenel's Improvement Should Add Frontcourt Depth (Dec '09) Jul '10 dad 2
News Evan Ravenel is latest player to ask Boston Col... (May '10) Jul '10 dad 24
News Men's college basketball: 6-8 transfer adds siz... (Jun '10) Jun '10 family 8
More from around the web