Boise State deals with fall in poll

Boise State deals with fall in poll

There are 11 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Oct 5, 2010, titled Boise State deals with fall in poll. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Boise State coach Chris Petersen's message to voters who saw fit to drop his team a spot in the polls this week: No hard feelings here.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

“Pro-Constitution , Anti-Obama!”

Since: May 10

Capitan, NM

#1 Oct 5, 2010
Duh! Oregon manhandled a top 10 team. BSU manhandled the Aggies. I am sure there are a few high schools in NM that would beat NMSU! BSU doesnt deserve to be even in the top ten!
Tyrone

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Oct 5, 2010
I agree.
Rat Killa

United States

#3 Oct 5, 2010
Chaos Undercover wrote:
Duh! Oregon manhandled a top 10 team. BSU manhandled the Aggies. I am sure there are a few high schools in NM that would beat NMSU! BSU doesnt deserve to be even in the top ten!
I agree that Oregon should be ahead of them in the polls, but to say that they don't deserve to be in the top ten is ludicrous. Yes the rest of their schedule with the exception of Nevada and Utah state is weak, but I believe they can compete week in and week out with big name schools. They have had their share of players get drafted into the NFL. The conference you are in should not influence your ranking. Now if they had squeezed by NMSU or some other lowly school you have a point, but they are manhandling the schools they should beat easily. They wont be BCS contenders, but they can compete with any BCS school.
OMG

United States

#4 Oct 5, 2010
Interesting debate. Where do you rank a D1 program that has a 52-4 record over the past 4 years and has 20 of 22 starters returning from last year?

On the other hand, this ain't national defense, if just a football poll.

Capitan, NM

#5 Oct 5, 2010
Rat Killa wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that Oregon should be ahead of them in the polls, but to say that they don't deserve to be in the top ten is ludicrous. Yes the rest of their schedule with the exception of Nevada and Utah state is weak, but I believe they can compete week in and week out with big name schools. They have had their share of players get drafted into the NFL. The conference you are in should not influence your ranking. Now if they had squeezed by NMSU or some other lowly school you have a point, but they are manhandling the schools they should beat easily. They wont be BCS contenders, but they can compete with any BCS school.
I disagree. What conference you play in SHOULD influence your ranking. Thats assine to believe otherwise. BSU plays much weaker teams than say a Florida, Alabama, Oregon, or even OSU. They shouldnt even be considered for the BCS Championship as they play in the WAC. Nevada is by no means a power house, nor is Utah. They are also a product of a weak conference.
Who knows maybe BSU could compete week in and week out in a power conference that remains to be seen. If they are as big and bad as they claim, why join the Mountian West, another weak conference. If no other conference wants them....why not go independent? That way they have the freedom of playing stronger schools.

“LSU, 2012 BCS NATIONAL CHAMPS!”

Since: Jun 10

Bama & USC r both going down!!

#6 Oct 5, 2010
Virginia Tech is even weak. Boise State is WAY OVER RANKED!!!!!!! WAY OVER-RANKED!!!!!!!!!!
Funny

La Luz, NM

#7 Oct 5, 2010
Chaos Undercover wrote:
By your picture you Like Dallas Cowboys. Enough said there and stop wasting our time, with stuff you have no idea about
Rat Killa

United States

#8 Oct 5, 2010
Chaos Undercover wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. What conference you play in SHOULD influence your ranking. Thats assine to believe otherwise. BSU plays much weaker teams than say a Florida, Alabama, Oregon, or even OSU. They shouldnt even be considered for the BCS Championship as they play in the WAC. Nevada is by no means a power house, nor is Utah. They are also a product of a weak conference.
Who knows maybe BSU could compete week in and week out in a power conference that remains to be seen. If they are as big and bad as they claim, why join the Mountian West, another weak conference. If no other conference wants them....why not go independent? That way they have the freedom of playing stronger schools.
So what your saying then is say every team in Alabama's conference finishes below 500, then Alabama does not deserve a #1 ranking because by your logic the conference is weak, Even though Alabama beats them all? You cannot deny that BSU has proven themselves year in and year out lately. You put in a playoff system and you can bet that BSU will survive at least two games and will not get blown out in any loss. And they can do it year in and year out. Their record, and their TV appearances have allowed them to draw top level recruits and that is what makes them a good team. They joined the Mountain West because that's who invited them, you don'tjust chose to join a conference, you have to be invited and voted in. As far as being an independent, I don't know all the in's and out's of that decision, so you'd have to ask their AD. My guess is it has a lot to do with revenue sharing, and as an independent you don't have that.
Had Enough Yet

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Oct 5, 2010
OK , let me clarify all this for you guys who hate to see someone have an opportunity to get a shot at the big guys.

No one says that the Boise St. program has always been on top. Having said that , here you go:

2007: Boise ST. vs. Oregon St. winner- BSU
2008: BSU vs. Oregon winner-BSU
2009: BSU vs. Oregon winner-BSU
2010: BSU vs. Oregon St. winner-BSU

I will only cover pac-10, because I have heard the loudest arguments from duck fans. and pacifier 10 fans.

2008: USC travels to Virginia, a BCS school , 3000 miles away, wins handily, and leap frogs two schools from #4 to #2. Virginia is unranked, and wins one game. Argument: Road game against BCS school.
Teams they passed: OU, who went Cincinatti, a BCS school, who was ranked, and finished 11-1. OU won by 11, certainly not the blowout at Virinia. The other school, Ohio State, who was on the road at Pitt, ranked # 17 , and won.

Boise St. 2010, at V-Tech, first game of season, ranked #9. 3000 mile trip, won. THEN , beat #23 Oregon st.

Oregon's first wins: PORTLAND ST!!! AND UNM LOBOS.Ran the score up on both.

They beat a decent Stanford team, STANFORD, at HOME, and were ranked 5 spots higher. You know , at home in Autzen, where teams never win.

Oh, yea, except BOISE ST!!!

Must have been the excuse that Oregon has that tough pacifier schedule to play through, while Boise St. gets to cruise.. You Know, have to prepare week in and week out, and injuries, and BSU doesn't have to worry about all that.

Ready for this: Both BSU victories against OREGON, FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON.

And both years I heard this: slow start, they couldn't do that again!!

JUST BEAT BOISE ST, ANYONE !! then talk crap!!!

Should Oregon pass them up in the polls? YUP, but it should not have happened this week. If BSU loses points for playing the Aggies, then Oregon should lose major points for playing the lobos and Portland st.

If Oregon gets credit for beating a ranked team at home, then BSU should get credit for beating TWO ranked teams, one 3000 miles away.

What should not happen is that FUTURE SOS factor in to the polls. As of today, Oregon has played exactly one decent team, average most years, AT HOME.

So for all of you that agree, save your arguments, because your assumptions are killing the BCS and college football, and ensuring that NO ONE outside of a BCS designated school can ever even PLAY for a title.

What should BSU do? A lot of this could have been answered when the BCS committee took the chicken shit way out and matched BSU up with TCU. A lot more should have been answered when Utah handed Alabama their ass a few years ago.

Could they do it all the time? NOpe ! Does the pac-10 or the SEC do it all the time??????

Capitan, NM

#10 Oct 5, 2010
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
By your picture you Like Dallas Cowboys. Enough said there and stop wasting our time, with stuff you have no idea about
Yep I am a Cowboys fan. Alway have, alway will. What dows that have to do with BSU. Cowboys are NFL, not college.
Mark my words if BSU were say in the ACC, SEC, or even the Big 12 or Big 10, they may play .500 ball, if that!

Capitan, NM

#11 Oct 5, 2010
OMG wrote:
Interesting debate. Where do you rank a D1 program that has a 52-4 record over the past 4 years and has 20 of 22 starters returning from last year?
On the other hand, this ain't national defense, if just a football poll.
They dont deserve the top 10 by any stretch! Go look at Alabamas record over the past 56 games, no doubt they have lost more than 4, but look who they have played, compared to who BSU has played. Yes BSU has beaten Oregon, Oregon St, Oklahoma, and VT, but those are sandwiched between teams like NMSU, Nevada, Louisana Tech, Fresno ect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boise State Broncos NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bronco Dennis Ellis arrested (Mar '07) Dec '15 Fart news 18
News Deshawn Shead proposes to his girlfriend on the... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Los Tardos de LA 5
Why Kellen Moore is a Future Superbowl Quarterback (Sep '14) Sep '14 Michael Strickland 1
News Welker not thinking retiring 'at all' after con... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 17
News Boise State Broncos vs. Mississippi Rebels: Col... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BRONCONATION1960 1
News History Favors Chicago Bears With Shea McClelli... (May '14) May '14 bill4544 1
News New Boise State coach Bryan Harsin hires two ne... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Zach Ruhnow 1
More from around the web