Bob Knight Resigns From Texas Tech

Bob Knight Resigns From Texas Tech

There are 156 comments on the CBS 2 - KCAL 9 story from Feb 4, 2008, titled Bob Knight Resigns From Texas Tech. In it, CBS 2 - KCAL 9 reports that:

Bob Knight resigned Monday at Texas Tech, a stunning midseason move by the winningest men's coach in major college basketball.

Known as much for his fiery temper as his basketball brilliance, Knight gave no hint a change was coming. He will be replaced by his son, Pat, a Red Raiders assistant.

Chris Cook, a spokesman for athletic director Gerald Myers, confirmed the resignation, which was first reported by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

In September, Knight signed a three-year contract extension that runs through the 2011-12 season. In 2005, Pat Knight was appointed his father's successor. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS 2 - KCAL 9.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
The Old Coach

Austin, TX

#2 Feb 4, 2008
He's gonna open a furniture store. Buy a couch, he'll throw in a chair!!
Mr Nice Guy

Dallas, GA

#3 Feb 4, 2008
When one no longer has the strength to launch a chair across the basketball court or choke your players, it's time to throw in the towel and call it a career.

“Jesus is my Passion!”

Since: Dec 07

Shelbyville, IN

#4 Feb 4, 2008
It's because he misses us here in Indiana as much as we miss him. (I wish). He's coming back to IU. LOL.
DR X

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2008
I think he got tired of the grind and lack of talent need to be competitive, in the Big 12. Good Luck and enjoy your retirement, you deserve it!
Dean Smith

Montgomery, AL

#6 Feb 4, 2008
Anyone know the REAL reason for the retirement? Are there health issues or something? I just can't imagine Bobby walking away just due to frustration.
Pontius Pilate

Castaic, CA

#7 Feb 4, 2008
He was as good at forming ball players as Pavlov was at torturing dogs. Might there be a place for him at Guantanamo?
richard

Lexington, KY

#8 Feb 4, 2008
Pontius Pilate wrote:
He was as good at forming ball players as Pavlov was at torturing dogs. Might there be a place for him at Guantanamo?
40 years he coached. he was never a media darling and he didnt care what they said. his former players if u see them all have nothing but highest praise for him and that is the only ones he had to impress. Also how many coaches u think in today game could coach that long and not have a single solitary NCAA investigation or penalty. He is one of the top 2 or 3 coaches of all time.

Since: Feb 08

Denver, CO

#9 Feb 4, 2008
Pontius Pilate wrote:
LOL! I whole-heartedly agree. The guy was a joke - it's a mockery of education that he was allowed to coach in the first place...
Victor Allen Grant

West Chester, PA

#10 Feb 4, 2008
richard wrote:
<quoted text>40 years he coached. he was never a media darling and he didnt care what they said. his former players if u see them all have nothing but highest praise for him and that is the only ones he had to impress. Also how many coaches u think in today game could coach that long and not have a single solitary NCAA investigation or penalty. He is one of the top 2 or 3 coaches of all time.
Richard you live in a dream land. At least half of his former players can not stand the man. A nice guy when things are going his way and a complete jerk when they are not.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#11 Feb 4, 2008
richard wrote:
<quoted text>40 years he coached. he was never a media darling and he didnt care what they said. his former players if u see them all have nothing but highest praise for him and that is the only ones he had to impress. Also how many coaches u think in today game could coach that long and not have a single solitary NCAA investigation or penalty. He is one of the top 2 or 3 coaches of all time.
Good coach or not he is still an asshole. The only good thing I can say about him is his players went to class or they were gone and his players have always had a high graduation rate. But there is no reason for anyone to be such a hateful bastard like he was to the public and the press. He is a miserable person.
good to me

Junction City, KS

#12 Feb 4, 2008
I lived in indiana for 18 years. bobby knight was an instution, and still is in the state of indiana. as a person he was upfront,honest, and outspoken and a few other things,but he was one of the best character builders in college basketball. he placed more importance on learning and getting an education than basketball, very rare.he also was a hell of a ball coach, if not the best one of the top two.he will be missed whether you liked him or not. and it was fun to watch him come into K.U and spank roy boy's ass at home. the number of people who did this could be counted on one hand. And last but not least P.U,K.U
I agree

Spokane, WA

#13 Feb 4, 2008
True enough...he was as uncivil and tempermental as he was a good coach on the floor. The guy wouldn't last a minute in corporate America. Bob Knight "I'm better than you, you're dumber than me and if you don't like me then kiss my flying chair". Great role model.!!
richard wrote:

nubbins b fairlygood

“obama supporter goes boating”

Since: Jan 08

denver

#14 Feb 4, 2008
jalancast wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I whole-heartedly agree. The guy was a joke - it's a mockery of education that he was allowed to coach in the first place...
you're obviously ignorant of college sports.
Jokem

AOL

#15 Feb 4, 2008
Long Live the General !

Jokem if they can't take afuck
richard

Lexington, KY

#16 Feb 4, 2008
Victor Allen Grant wrote:
<quoted text>
Richard you live in a dream land. At least half of his former players can not stand the man. A nice guy when things are going his way and a complete jerk when they are not.
i cant tell u where to find it but find an article about a player named Landon Turner. Find out what he did for Turner then see if you have the same Opinion
Jimbo Dolan

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Feb 4, 2008
The last of the great coaches. Players graduated and were productive members of society. There are only a handful of universities that can claim that. Because of how soft our children have become, he was looked at as being to tough. The world just became a softer place. God bless and good luck in retirement coach!
richard

Lexington, KY

#18 Feb 4, 2008
Victor Allen Grant wrote:
<quoted text>
Can u name 10 players that played for him? Can u name half of the players that said that? U sure u are not just stating your own opinion and have no basis for fact? He ran a good clean program, he made his kids go to school so if they did not succed in basketball they did in life. Yes he demanded and he expected more than a lot of other coaches that was the reason players went to him...His only problem was he didnt heel toe and steppin fetch for the media and others. U liked him or didnt and he didnt care....
Larry

Racine, WI

#19 Feb 4, 2008
I hope they bury me on my stomach - so that all my critics can kiss my as*- probably not an accurate or "exact" quote but god damn close enough - Love ya Bobby!

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#20 Feb 4, 2008
He was unprofessional, strangling students and throwing chairs is just unacceptable. I had a teacher fling a chair at me once, they later made him principal. His teams won, but he didn't make many NBA players and if college is training to become a professional, he must of beat the drive and individuality out of his players by the time they graduated.

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#21 Feb 4, 2008
I think he's interviewing for the UK job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baylor Bears NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 23 Worker 289
News Profiling: Perry Jones III (Jun '12) Jun '12 ron 2
News Longhorns have no plans to schedule Aggies in f... (Oct '11) Oct '11 D Dedwylder 1
News Perry Jones vs. Terrence Jones: Who Will Be the... (Sep '11) Oct '11 robert brink 4
News Pistons likely to look at big man with 7th pick... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Tiffany 2
News Elite Eight: Duke, Coach K back in Final Four (Mar '10) Mar '10 triple6vamp 4
News Duke, Coach K back in Final Four (Mar '10) Mar '10 blablabla 3
More from around the web