Knight's sudden exit is baffling

Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom Wood Volkswagen, Indiana's Premier VW Dealer, Can Do It All Come in and Test Drive the ... Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
PLAYA

Fishers, IN

#1 Feb 5, 2008
He's a QUITTER, BIG DEAL
Chad

Lexington, KY

#2 Feb 5, 2008
Once again it's Knight the hypocrite, the 900 win plateau was meaningless, and he had a job to do. Yeah sure Bobby. His massive ego would not allow him to retire at the appropriate time with dignity and class. When it became apparent his current Texas Tech team could not provide him with a tourney run, he put himself in the center of attention by abruptly calling it quits. Hopefully this will be the last boorish behavior of his career.
B C Elliott

United States

#3 Feb 5, 2008
Mike Lopresti is a talented and award winning writer for the Gannett News Services. Nevertheless it was disappointing the Star chose his piece to represent their Commentary section. In a state and community with so many intimate ties to "Coach", the decision to take this chain restaurant approach continues to confirm that I will have to look elsewhere for more value added insight. I don't want to, I understand the circumstances behind it, but I still don't believe local management should allow it. Nevertheless, for now, I'll continue to hold out hope that the only way it will change is to TalkBack.
gbr

Winslow, IN

#5 Feb 5, 2008
If you buy the story that Knight is just tired, then this is the most selfish act of his life. For the sake of his players, couldn't he drink some Red Bull for six weeks and make it to the end of the season?
Personally, I don't buy that story. Either he is seriously ill or this is just a move to slip Patrick in as coach.
iaintagonnasay

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, my first thought was he must be terminally ill. Although I'm not a Knight fan by any stretch of the imagination, I hope he's not physically sick.
Mike in NC

United States

#7 Feb 5, 2008
My guess is that maybe there was some behind the scenes pushback about Pat "inheriting" the program, and this is a move by Knight to muscle him in and force the University's hand. If he quit at the end of the season, the University could more quietly open up the position to other candidates....but now if they want to do that they have to "fire" the interim head coach....maybe I am wrong, but I think it is a power play. Maybe a smart move.
baldeagle

Marengo, IN

#8 Feb 5, 2008
Once again the CLASSLESS Myles Brand shines bright, having no comment about the winningest coach ever. Knight was a winner. Hard to get along with, UNLESS you were one of his people. He taught winning the right way, was intesely honest...that's all you have a right to expect in your coach. I hope there's a great party for the NCAA when Brand rides off into the sunset (soon, I hope).
sfchoosier

Fishers, IN

#9 Feb 5, 2008
Nobody has ever questioned that RMK does things "to a different drummer", he's consistent with that. He could care less about the media or what people think, he could care less about etiquette or how things have been done in the past, he did things his way. While he was aggravating at times (especially if you were opposing him), he was his own man. He had his son in line for his job, and when the time hit, he hung it up. No glory parades like most coaches so he could recieve rocking chairs and golf clubs and adoration from the masses, he could care less, he has taken care of himself, his family and Im sure his players as well. Its just one more jab in the heart of his "haters" but for those who respect him, more power to him, he will never be forgotten.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#10 Feb 5, 2008
Mike in NC wrote:
My guess is that maybe there was some behind the scenes pushback about Pat "inheriting" the program, and this is a move by Knight to muscle him in and force the University's hand. If he quit at the end of the season, the University could more quietly open up the position to other candidates....but now if they want to do that they have to "fire" the interim head coach....maybe I am wrong, but I think it is a power play. Maybe a smart move.
I think you may be right. Most of the time when a coach leaves a program they will at least give a brief explanation as to why. Health, family matters or what ever it may be. Lute Olsen left twice at Arizona but both times the school and the players and the public knew why. His wife was terminally ill the first time and personal reasons the second time. Knight owes the players, the alumni, the school and the fans there at least a brief explanation why he is quitting this late in the season. The idea that his son gets the job automatically is horse shit to me. Why? I think you may be right and there is a hell of alot more to it than we will ever know.
tberry

Cape Coral, FL

#11 Feb 5, 2008
Bob Knight is the best thing that ever happened to Indiana University Basketball. Without him we would not be who we are!
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#12 Feb 5, 2008
baldeagle wrote:
Once again the CLASSLESS Myles Brand shines bright, having no comment about the winningest coach ever. Knight was a winner. Hard to get along with, UNLESS you were one of his people. He taught winning the right way, was intesely honest...that's all you have a right to expect in your coach. I hope there's a great party for the NCAA when Brand rides off into the sunset (soon, I hope).
What is he supposed to say? Thanks Bobby for quitting right when we need you with still a shot at the tournamnent at hand? Knight is the one that owes an explanation not anyone else. He up and quit his job, what do you think they should do? Give him a parade? Those kids committed to play for Texas Tech and Bobby Knight. He did not honor his contract and that is it. Those players should be allowed to transfer if they choose without losing a day of eligibility. they did not sign to play for Pat Knight, they signed to play for the great no good bastard Bobby Knight.

“Loving this Colts' era!”

Since: Jan 08

Waynetown, IN

#13 Feb 5, 2008
baldeagle wrote:
Why would Brand make a comment? Basketball coaches quit all the time, although not usually in the middle of a season. Hey Bob, what happened to the old adage- If you start something, you should finish it.-? Another bad example for our young people to follow.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#14 Feb 5, 2008
tberry wrote:
Bob Knight is the best thing that ever happened to Indiana University Basketball. Without him we would not be who we are!
Oh Really? what about all the great players that busted their asses and won all those games? Don't they deserve a little credit? The best coach in the world isn't worth a penny without good players. I know he recruited most of them but it is possible alot of them would have went there regardless of Kinght's presence or not. Don't make him out be more than he was. He is just a sour, miserable old bastard that happened to be a coach. We had a All State player from Quincy Il named Jim Wisman that played for Knight years ago and Knight basically grabbed him up on national TV and embarrassed the hell out that very good young man. How many others has he done that to including his own son. He is a miserable ass and I am glad he is gone and hopefully never to be heard from again.

“Loving this Colts' era!”

Since: Jan 08

Waynetown, IN

#15 Feb 5, 2008
tberry wrote:
Exactly! Look at "who you are". Just think all the good things I.U. could have accomplished if I.U. had not wasted so many years in Bloomington bowing to Bobby Knight.
Rollin

Greenfield, IN

#16 Feb 5, 2008
baldeagle wrote:
Oh, That's right, I forgot it was Brand who physically assaulted the kid and who couldn't obey the zero tolerance clause in his contract, I forgot that, thanks for reminding me.
colts1893

Jeffersonville, IN

#17 Feb 5, 2008
Patrick is taking over as coach because that was the agreement reached. It's the same deal Matt Painter had and the Colts just put in place.
We love you Bobby! Thanks for all the great years at IU!!
joelpa

Barnegat, NJ

#18 Feb 5, 2008
Bob Knight a coaching genius. I hope he finds his peace now. Thanks for the memories, the only coach K.
Chad

Lexington, KY

#19 Feb 5, 2008
baldeagle wrote:
Why would Brand comment ? After all Bob Knight lied to him over and over again. He was intensely honest my a--.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#20 Feb 5, 2008
joelpa wrote:
Bob Knight a coaching genius. I hope he finds his peace now. Thanks for the memories, the only coach K.
Which ones? The ones where he is throwing chairs or the one where he is choking his player or the one where he is assaulting a reporter in an elevator? Which of memories should we cherish?
IU grad 82

Milwaukee, WI

#21 Feb 5, 2008
He was probably fired for slapping someone around. They just asked him to resign before he was fired....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baylor Bears NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec '14 The Real Daniel S... 281
Profiling: Perry Jones III (Jun '12) Jun '12 ron 2
Longhorns have no plans to schedule Aggies in f... (Oct '11) Oct '11 D Dedwylder 1
Perry Jones vs. Terrence Jones: Who Will Be the... (Sep '11) Oct '11 robert brink 4
Pistons likely to look at big man with 7th pick... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Tiffany 2
Elite Eight: Duke, Coach K back in Final Four (Mar '10) Mar '10 triple6vamp 4
Duke, Coach K back in Final Four (Mar '10) Mar '10 blablabla 3
More from around the web