Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256548 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208495 Jan 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
The sexual act of homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible
Why would that matter to a non-Christian?
Eagle 12 wrote:
they’re not entitled to trump our religious belief.
Why should your beliefs limit another person's life?

You seem to have this idea that your religion applies to everybody. It doesn't.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208496 Jan 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Did you notice that that FemiNazi broad thinks a woman more deserves a congratulations for backpacking in Asia instead of having children or being married?!
I think that 250 births a minute (world statisitic) is enough, don't you?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#208498 Jan 28, 2014
I think this might be something interesting to talk about.

What would it take to convince you that a deity exists?

I'm not so sure I could be convinced. First I'd need to know what was being claimed. What is a deity? What must a thing be to be a deity?

Assuming a loose definition for deity that most people would probably say is reasonable, I couldn't be convinced that such a thing exists.

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. It's also going to be indistinguishable from a deity. This is compelling on two levels. I might actually witness something extraordinary that I think should not be possible. This is something that someone might claim is only possible for a deity, but we cannot know that. I think a natural explanation is always more likely than a supernatural one. Extremely advanced technology seems more likely to exist than a deity.

Even without witnessing something extraordinary that is really happening, our perceptions can be fooled. We may experience the effect of mind altering technology that gives us a complete impression of a reality that is implanted. This kind of technology seems more likely to exist than a deity.

We also know that humans can hallucinate and delude themselves. We know that humans can believe something false with complete conviction. Some people don't just claim to have been abducted by aliens, they believe it as much as they believe anything. I don't believe these claims because I haven't seen sufficient evidence to support them. I suspect many of you are in the same boat about that. I'd still sooner believe those claims than claims for a deity. Technologically advanced aliens that abduct people and then return them seem much more likely to exist than deities. Much more likely than that is the likelihood of a human brain messing up.

For me, deity claims are literally unbelievable. I can't think of anything at all that could be called evidence for a deity that I couldn't link more closely to a non-deity explanation.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208499 Jan 28, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Remember that question that irritates you so much?
"Which god?"
Your "God"<(capitalize d for you) is the same as any other. Whether it be the Jesus, the Yahweh, Vishnu, Kokopelli, Derzelas, etc...
Screw'em. They can all go suck imaginary lemons with their imaginary mouths, held with whatever imaginary hands theists imagine they have(or whatever it is they "speak" to you or "touch" you with).
An imaginary screw?

o.O

I leave that in your experienced hand....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208500 Jan 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Very seldom do y'all ever bring up any other god, except to ridicule God and Christian beliefs.

scaritual wrote:

Your "God"<(capitalize d for you) is the same as any other. Whether it be the Jesus, the Yahweh, Vishnu, Kokopelli, Derzelas, etc...

Screw'em.
Divinity Surgeon wrote:

Praise Pangu!
Just Think wrote:

Why would I admit something that is completely untrue?
More importantly - and more obvious - is why are you lying about something when everyone knows you're lying?
You were saying?

For a name like "just think", it'd be nice if you just thought.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208501 Jan 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

But I have had Thai soup. Thai soup is really, really good.
Oh yeah! Thai soup is dericious. I rove that stuff.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208502 Jan 28, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the fact that if this was the first man and woman, writing wasn't invented yet, neither was another person to hear this conversation and write it down.
So in between the time of their creation and the invention of the written word, wouldn't you think a few things were just " made up"?
Use your head for something other than a hatrack, as my mama used to say.
Your mama obviously never contemplated that the "generations of Adam" had to be written down.

You & her also don't know that Adam was illiterate, you just use that as an ignorance filler.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208503 Jan 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
I like the different 'shit' renditions. I wanna start doing that now!
It's mouseshit that its an attack on gays to rip on a straight guy for being effeminate. That's just plain fun. There is nothing bigoted about it. Some gay men are very effeminate. Some are not. Either is accepted. Some gay men IMO actually play up the effeminate part on purpose. It makes no difference to me. IMO whatever it is in how someone is wired that determines their sexuality also causes some gay men to be effeminate. There simply is no denying this
However there is nothing biological about a straight man bring effeminate. If a straight man wants to act like a sissy then he chances being called a sissy. It's not calling him gay because not all gay men are effeminate and its apples and oranges anyway. A guy acting like a puss means he is a weak straight man, not gay. If he was gay it wouldn't be an issue
I know I'm not bigoted against homosexuals. And anybody that says a straight guy telling people about the great diversity among the naked men they showered with isn't funny is full of squirrelshit
~sniggers

Good post.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208504 Jan 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>scaritual wrote, "

Screw'em. "

Divinity Surgeon wrote, "
Praise Pangu! "

Just Think wrote, "
Why would I admit something that is completely untrue?
More importantly - and more obvious - is why are you lying about something when everyone knows you're lying?"

You were saying?

For a name like "just think", it'd be nice if you just thought.
Was that supposed to make some kind of sense, oh "intelligent"(?) one?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208505 Jan 28, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that supposed to make some kind of sense, oh "intelligent"(?) one?
To intelligent people, yes.

Follow the breadcrumbs, young lass...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208506 Jan 28, 2014
LCD wrote:
I wasn't trying to say, nor did I say, that your sexism was against men. Your sexism is against the feminine quality.
The "feminine quality" in some gay men?

How's a man sexist against men?

Think.

Then respond.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208507 Jan 28, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:

For me, deity claims are literally unbelievable. I can't think of anything at all that could be called evidence for a deity that I couldn't link more closely to a non-deity explanation.
That's called closed-mindedness.

IANS tells me that nothing, no amount of evidence, will shake my belief in God.

He's probably right.

But you're the opposite side of the same coin.

Nothing will shake your beliefs.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208508 Jan 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:

I think that 250 births a minute (world statisitic) is enough, don't you?
Holy shit you're right.

http://www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/

That's a lot of breast milk...

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#208509 Jan 28, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Ok my mellifluous friend but, the input you desire is logistically impossible at this time.
Nope, not logistically impossible, rather your empty head leave you with noting to contrabute

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208510 Jan 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

No one is trying to force these religious groups to engage in gay sex. They will not have to accept gay members.
That's true, but they're trying to force us to accept a fundamental change in what marriage is. Not as a man & woman, a husband and wife, no. It's just a union between two people.

That's the ugly fact y'all always dismiss with your "get over it" attitudes.

You want us to brush our values aside and accept yours but you're not willing to accept our values.

Why should we accept your values?

Why do you think your values trump mine?

#208511 Jan 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hmmm
Maybe E=MC2 created Latinos then they used lightsabers to cut a hole in the fence and the US gub'ment got all pissed about it, fed them marijuana and created anti-marijuana laws.
I mean. That's just a guess, but I believe it has merit.
<quoted text>
Just mimicking your "E=MC2 proves that God can't be omnipotent" bullshit.
I thought you knew.
Ahh well you see you are mocking, not mimicking.

But hey, call it whatever makes you feel better.

#208512 Jan 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck has demonstrated that he is very good at parroting what the Discovery Institute says. He has bought their line of BS hook.line and sinker.
Ahh you know him as well as I do.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208513 Jan 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>That's true, but they're trying to force us to accept a fundamental change in what marriage is. Not as a man & woman, a husband and wife, no. It's just a union between two people.

That's the ugly fact y'all always dismiss with your "get over it" attitudes.

You want us to brush our values aside and accept yours but you're not willing to accept our values.

Why should we accept your values?

Why do you think your values trump mine?
You don't appear to have any values.

#208514 Jan 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacklagoon.
Your fellow atheist and science worshipper says DNA didn't exist until it was discovered.
Are you sure? Or did he say that it was undiscovered until it was discovered.

You often choose to misinterpret/misrepresent and then mock based in invalid information and ignorance, as is your way

Just wondering…

#208515 Jan 28, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
While you're wearing them?
Maybe you're misinterpreting their intentions.
Nope definitely not, they each have there own personality and there intentions are not that hard to understand, run, walk, butt, nuzzle, taste, eat, shag, It’s a simple life for a goat with not a lot to misinterpret

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,417,876
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 44 min Zef Hughner - Pla... 311,605
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 32,325
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 8 hr OzRitz 10,064
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web