Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#208311 Jan 27, 2014
Back to charges.

And the original spark.

I didn't write the damned BBT, but I understand it from innumerable shocks to my system that were derived from it.

In this universe charge causes motion. No charge, no motion. You couldn't even push a pack of cigarettes away from you without the localized charges opposing each other.

You don't get a charge unless you create it.

The expansion of the universe per the BBT created a charge. It made space. That is distance that has to be traveled for it all to return to the "singularity" it sprangeth from.

A void does not divideth itself.

When you read your modern physics books you are concentrating on objects, and not really grasping the process. You are trying to link words and not what is happening on the material level.

You are a construct, an artifact of something somewhat larger than yourself, yet something that can feedback to the original source.

There is no such thing as a "void" that can occur on its own. It has to be manufactured, but then it isn't a true void. It's a bubble in something bigger.

Take a drop of water and zap it with a bolt of lightning. That is the process the BBT describes.

Or something like that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208312 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
http://prayerfoundation.org/wo rld_christian_growth_statistic s.htm
This might interest you.
Thanks. Too bad for Asia and Africa. They'll learn in time - less than the West, which had to develop the intellectual armamentarium to combat faith before it could transcend it. Africa and Asia will get to that point much more quickly.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#208313 Jan 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the hope that sustains many of the faithful. If you're into revenge and punishment, you can't do better than hell.
No Ians. You also agreed, should God make an appearance it would undo a lot. Im merely describing what you all will resemble. You should also educate your fellow , Jim, about the fault of him making positive claims.

La Veta, CO

#208314 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>
I guess you don't have much use for sciency poetry either. Not too many posters here do.
As for not embarrassing himself, how can he do that without giving up posting? He's only got two kinds of posts: moonbeams and discontent.
Poor IANS.

He doesn't understand how poetry expands the consciousness and connections.

He understands Tab A into Slot A, and detailed instructions on how to assemble something. Wow!! He so smart, he put things together like they told him to.

His creativity and imagination is limited to his believing in his intelligence and knowledge.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208315 Jan 27, 2014
I glanced at your brochure and saw nothing of interest there. If you have one good reason for opposing same sex marriage, give it here. Assumptions and unsupported claims won't do.
Buck Crick wrote:
It denies the complementarity of a union of opposite genders which is derived from the self-evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women. As civil law is a structuring principle for society, there is little to no evidence to contradict the view that a marital covenant between a man and a woman, by its nature, is better ordered toward procreation, child rearing, and the perpetuation of the human race.
How is that an argument against allowing gay people to marry? That seems to be an argument to not forbid heterosexual relationships.

You say that "there is little to no evidence to contradict" your claims, but where are the data supporting them?

Incidentally, the human race is in no danger of fizzling out for lack of procreation, which has little to do with marriage anyway.
Buck Crick wrote:
Furthermore, as a same-sex union is not oriented toward a sexual procreation, but toward the sex-act itself, it elevates sex acts to a higher relative status in comparison to values and mores which might buffer the potential harm of irresponsible behavior.
I still don't see an argument against loving gay couples living in households without the benefits of marriage being allowed to enjoy those benefits.

This is better than the Gish gallop of 77 reasons in the pamphlet. If the best reasons can be rejected, then they all can.

La Veta, CO

#208316 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you want to die?
Why do you?

Look in the mirror in 20 years. You will see you are headed that way, just like they told you.

Then you go poof by what others tell you.

Tell me, thick haired girl, what is the difference between putting a body with little wear and tear in the ground and a body that got some use?

Are you afraid of dying?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208317 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Why do you want to die?
Whether or not you drink coffee and smoke cigarettes, death is inevitable.

Then you can't reproduce anymore.

So says Science....

La Veta, CO

#208318 Jan 27, 2014

Life is to be enjoyed.

:-)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#208319 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
How is that an argument against allowing gay people to marry? That seems to be an argument to not forbid heterosexual relationships.
You say that "there is little to no evidence to contradict" your claims, but where are the data supporting them?
Incidentally, the human race is in no danger of fizzling out for lack of procreation, which has little to do with marriage anyway.
<quoted text>
I still don't see an argument against loving gay couples living in households without the benefits of marriage being allowed to enjoy those benefits.
This is better than the Gish gallop of 77 reasons in the pamphlet. If the best reasons can be rejected, then they all can.
It is an argument against allowing same-sex marriages because any law pertaining to marriage is inherently oriented toward the principles society deems important for perpetuating itself, and same-sex marriage is contradictory of those principles.

Procreation is in no danger, agreed, but the relevant issue is how society structures its civil laws in regard to that procreation, encouraging its better aspects.

Altering those principles for accomodation of a particular sex-act, or those organizing around support of the act, is unusual and disruptive.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208320 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you?

Look in the mirror in 20 years. You will see you are headed that way, just like they told you.

Then you go poof by what others tell you.

Tell me, thick haired girl, what is the difference between putting a body with little wear and tear in the ground and a body that got some use?

Are you afraid of dying?
Nope, just a little afraid of spiders but I don't sit around wishing I was dead nor do I wish to be the living dead.

In 20 years I'll be in my mid 50's and if now is anything to go by I'll look younger than that.

Who told me what?

I don't think there's a difference really and imagine everyone has "wear and tear" the more they age, how much would be different for everyone.

Do you think there's a difference?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208321 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Whether or not you drink coffee and smoke cigarettes, death is inevitable.

So says Science....
I didn't mean because he smokes, if that's your implication.

I referred to Dave's prayer, to the jesus character.

Does science say that?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#208322 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Do you deny there are biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women?

Do you deny the union in marriage of a man and a woman allows these differences to combine in complementary fashion, providing a modeling of both sets of characteristics to an offspring of the union?

Do you deny the offspring benefits from this modeling?

Or do you only deny that civil law should encourage such benefit?

If you deny this, do you deny that civil law should encourage or discourage any type of behavior?

Do you disagree with a civil society producing its own laws and being subject to laws only with its consent?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208323 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't mean because he smokes, if that's your implication.
I referred to Dave's prayer, to the jesus character.
Does science say that?
Yup.

Scientific studies have proven that if you die, you can't reproduce and therefore you can't evolve.

Amazing find!

La Veta, CO

#208324 Jan 27, 2014
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/macklem...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25465...

Live!! In the comfort of your own living room!!

The freak shows you have been dying to see!!

Why bother building relationships with other human beings, or doing the dirty yourself? Why go to all of that trouble and expense expereincing life?

Tune in and turn on!!

Now a word from our sponsors.

Newly married? Need a divorce?

Call Catcher1 at 696lb69696.

Buy Bounty, the quicker picker upper.

Vaginal infection? Try our new and improved hypoallergenic silicone dildo with hypoallergenic lube enhanced with stimulating chemicals to give you, or your partner, that special feeling you always desired.

Children giving you fits? Try Zombie drink. Fortified with the latest chemicals to make a more perfect world.

Excited by your new improved hypoallergenic dildo? Want to spend more time with it? Simple. Quit going to church on Sundays. Stay home and savor life. This message brought to you by the National Association of Topix Atheists Seeking a Viable Alternative to The Old Homophobic Way of Doing Things.

La Veta, CO

#208325 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just a little afraid of spiders but I don't sit around wishing I was dead nor do I wish to be the living dead.
In 20 years I'll be in my mid 50's and if now is anything to go by I'll look younger than that.
Who told me what?
I don't think there's a difference really and imagine everyone has "wear and tear" the more they age, how much would be different for everyone.
Do you think there's a difference?
You have a lot to learn and become aware of yet.

BTW, you may look young for 50, but you WILL be 50. With the meter still running.

Speaking of looks and realities. Once upon a time women had falsies, wigs, and various enhancements that revealed themselves when something got their attention and they wished to act upon it. Now they think Botox and silicone are the real thing.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208326 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Yup.

Scientific studies have proven that if you die, you can't reproduce and therefore you can't evolve.

Amazing find!
Oh. You changed your statement.

Please, do continue talking out of your arse.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#208327 Jan 27, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Theres going to come a time when you will look like a rat caught in a trap, eyes buldging.
there just may come a time when you die and you turn to face YOUR God, only to find yourself looking at Vishnu, or Allah, and realize you've been worshipping the "wrong" God all along. Then what are you going to do skippy?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208328 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You have a lot to learn and become aware of yet.

BTW, you may look young for 50, but you WILL be 50. With the meter still running.

Speaking of looks and realities. Once upon a time women had falsies, wigs, and various enhancements that revealed themselves when something got their attention and they wished to act upon it. Now they think Botox and silicone are the real thing.
I don't like the idea of unnecessary body modifications, I don't even like make up but that's just me, I don't care what others choose to do, not my business.

What meter?

You're born, you live, you die. I think it's all natural and prefer to focus on the living part.

I agree, I do still have a lot to learn and am an eager student.

I just think it's sad to be so miserable all the time.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#208329 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether or not you drink coffee and smoke cigarettes, death is inevitable.
So says Science....
WASHINGTON—Dr. Stephen Hawking’s recent statement that the black holes he famously described do not actually exist underscores “the danger inherent in listening to scientists,” Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minnesota) said today.

Rep. Bachmann unleashed a blistering attack on Dr. Hawking, who earlier referred to his mistake on black holes as his “biggest blunder.”

“Actually, Dr. Hawking, our biggest blunder as a society was ever listening to people like you,” said Rep. Bachmann.“If black holes don’t exist, then other things you scientists have been trying to foist on us probably don’t either, like climate change and evolution.”

Rep. Bachmann added that all the students who were forced to learn about black holes in college should now sue Dr. Hawking for a full refund.“Fortunately for me, I did not take any science classes in college,” she said.

Bachmann’s anti-Hawking comments seemed to be gaining traction on Capitol Hill, as seen from the statement by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), Chairman of the House Science Committee, who said,“Going forward, members of the House Science Committee will do our best to avoid listening to scientists.”

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#208330 Jan 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you disagree with a civil society producing its own laws and being subject to laws only with its consent?
Lots of questions, Buck.

I'll field only this one, because it's in my bailiwick.

The laws of our civil society are also subject to the U.S. Constitution.

To deny the right to marry to same sex couples violates the equal protection clause.

And don't you dare argue with me about this.

It's no longer open to question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Well Well 1,497,797
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Heretic 11,024
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 hr ThomasA 313,383
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Thu Worker 289
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Feb 22 ResidentPhartx 32,756
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Feb 21 TrumpsPhartsx 99
How my search of $450000 dollars became real. Feb 14 Kesby Karen 1
More from around the web