Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254917 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#208138 Jan 26, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
What does anger me is the objection to adoption. That now crosses a line where children suffer for the sake of someone else's ideology who doesn't provide a solution for the problem they just caused .. I guarantee any kid stuck in one of the places doesn't give a rat's ass if their foster patents are gay. I would love to see the stays of what percentage of kids 'turned gay' because they were raised by gay foster parents. And if gay marriage makes it easier for them to adopt then I say great. It's odd how people that are apparently so concerned about what environment these kids grow up in supposedly don't seem to have a problem with them rotting in foster care
Bravo, Skom. That was very well put. And I agree.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#208139 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
sigh...
Such an obsessive creature you are.
One more time, read further down the wiki page. I know that is a great mental effort for you, but take some vitamins and some deep breaths, you will get that far.
Just exactly where on the page, Dave?

Here?

"In Africa one traditional form of geomancy consists of throwing handfuls of dirt in the air and observing how the dirt falls. It can also involve a mouse as the agent of the earth spirit. Ifá, one of the oldest forms of geomancy, originated in West Africa, and uses the same sixteen geomantic figures as in Arabic and Western geomancy with different meanings and names; the process is shortened to using only two figures. In China, the diviner may enter a trance and make markings on the ground that are interpreted by an associate (often a young or illiterate boy).

Similar forms of geomancy include scrying involving the patterns seen in rocks or soil."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomancy

Point to the form of geomancy you adhere to or follow.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208140 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Skin color and ethnicity is morally neutral while homosexual conduct is both morally and legally questionable.
That's the Christian and Muslim perspective. Humanists find the conduct of the church questionable.

I'm wondering if and when you will realize that the church may not get to call the shots any more. All of the signs suggest that. The church ignores evidence and reason at its own peril.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#208141 Jan 26, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual you have learned a few technical terms and then think you know what you are talking about!!!!!
1. "Black holes as concentrated gravity." No, they are the result of collapsed matter.
2. "Blackholes are the barycenter of a galaxy, or of galaxies." No, they are not the Barycenter of anything, they can occur anywhere in a galaxy whenever a 8+ solar mass star supernovas and certainly not between galaxies.
Look we all know you like to make a fool of yourself but please try to make an effort to understand what you are talking about.
The sad thing is the other godbots actually think you have a brain.
If you had collapsed matter you would have a lump, not a hole. A really solid object.

If you star collapsed to nothing, then the collapse sent everything flying. Which leaves no mass to cause gravity.

Gravity works in straight lines. You have a continuous beam of this force between objects with motion modifying its effects. This beam also crosses other beams. Realize you have a force field that exists between those objects. It's invisible. Those crossing fields can amplify the force. Those straight lines and motion of them about that point give it a mass appearance.

That force is not a nothing.

It is too complicated to describe gravity and all it does on here. You do have to realize all mass is involved in the distribution of it.

Take a spider web and mark the intersection of web string as objects. Pull or push any object on the web and everything shifts in relation to each other. Take away the web and leave the objects. That leaves gravity as the bonding. Give it all a spin. That is how your universe works. Very roughly.

Fennario

#208142 Jan 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. frustrated? No. But, I'm beginning to get a bit horny ..
.. can you suggest a Major solution ??..
LOL. Go get her.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208143 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems as though gay men wear women's clothes to stand out, to tell everyone "hey look at me, the gay guy. Aren't I incredible?"
<quoted text>
I've known only one gay guy that was masculine.
But the gays that you and I have known do not represent the whole.
Women are inferior to men in some regards, yes. In turn, men are inferior to women in some regards. This is basic nature.
<quoted text>
Hell yes!
He's sticking his schlong into a male butthole.
There's nothing homosexual about that, right?
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
More stereotyping, I see.
It is so much easier to beat up a straw man, isn't it RR?
And that last bit. There you have it. RR thinks it's icky, and therefore he thinks it should be banned.
RR, would you like to go back to the '50s when gay people were being thrown in jail? Or perhaps move to Russia so you can join the mobs beating up gay people?
What past of my post did you interpret as a hatred of gays or a desire to beat them up?

Tell me that, fucknugget.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208144 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Richardfs wrote:
Don't tell me .... that was you!
Did the Topix Atheist! just make a homophobic slur?

Imagine that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208145 Jan 26, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

RR doesn't think anal sex is icky.
He partakes of anal sex, and reports it on Topix.
He just thinks it's icky if gay people do it.
It's bigotry, pure and yes, very simple.
You know what you can't solder two male copper fittings together?

Fennario

#208146 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I wondered if there were people in Shanghai that could use English lessons. There were. We taught some local orphaned children English so that they could be more easily adopted to Western couples. English speaking couples adopting Chinese kids was big at the time (it still is) but they were mostly going for infants. I thought if we could teach the 4, 5, 6, 7 year old kids to speak English they would have a better chance. They did. 10 of the 14 in that age group were adopted while I was there. Kids just want to be loved and know they belong. They don't care about their parents sexual orientation. You can't make somebody gay. You just can't.
Nice post. It's people that matter.

La Veta, CO

#208147 Jan 26, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, if you knew even a tiny fraction of what you think you know, you would know that the jets seen coming from black holes are actually being emitted by the spiraling matter falling into the black hole. The jets are not being emitted by the black hole itself.
You could learn a few things, but you have this attitude that you already know everything. As has been demonstrated over and over, you don't. But the attitude keeps you in ignorance.
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Radio_Teles...

What I see is spiralling matter getting chewed up and spit out perpendicular to the spiral.

One each whirlpool.

La Veta, CO

#208148 Jan 26, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Just exactly where on the page, Dave?
Here?
"In Africa one traditional form of geomancy consists of throwing handfuls of dirt in the air and observing how the dirt falls. It can also involve a mouse as the agent of the earth spirit. Ifá, one of the oldest forms of geomancy, originated in West Africa, and uses the same sixteen geomantic figures as in Arabic and Western geomancy with different meanings and names; the process is shortened to using only two figures. In China, the diviner may enter a trance and make markings on the ground that are interpreted by an associate (often a young or illiterate boy).
Similar forms of geomancy include scrying involving the patterns seen in rocks or soil."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomancy
Point to the form of geomancy you adhere to or follow.
Adhere to or follow?

Scar, I'm not a pew warmer like you.

I understand the basis of geomancy used in megalithic construction. You could call it macroelectronics. It works on smaller scales, too, using wires and circuitboards.

You missed the speed of light and convergence of energies?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#208149 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the Topix Atheist! just make a homophobic slur?
Imagine that.
Who is it? you?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#208150 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what you can't solder two male copper fittings together?
Typical dodge.

You're one of the very few people I have ever run into, who are actually proud to live a life of indecency.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#208151 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the basis of geomancy used in megalithic construction.....
All it takes is four sticks and four months to plot the solstices and equinoxes.

OOOOOH Forgotten Magic !

La Veta, CO

#208152 Jan 26, 2014
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/1...

Amusing account of science and math turning into bullshit, providing a rich environment for the Topix atheist mind to grow in.

A bit of gatekeeping and ego is included.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

La Veta, CO

#208153 Jan 26, 2014
"As Brown puts it in characteristic manner. "This particular paper wasn't an act of fraud and it wasn't about statistics. It's that someone had a brain-fart one day.""

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/1...

That was my favorite line from the article.

Fennario

#208154 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
It is about children. It is about right and wrong.
Agree.
lightbeamrider wrote:
SSM is calling wrong right. It is corruption of children.
Disagree. That is just your faith speaking.

As you can see, skeptics have little interest in claims unsupported by evidence or cogent argument. Claims coming from the church are especially suspect, with so many being not just uninformed, but dishonest. The protracted discussion of David Barton reinforced that attitude for many here notwithstanding Buck's heartfelt and sincere defense of him

Do you have any sense at all that the church is slipping, or that it is in any way contributing to its decline?

Fennario

#208155 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
How does straight couples who do not have children validate gay marriage?
It doesn't. Reason and compassion do.

How can you justify infertile opposite marriage but not same sex marriage?

Fennario

#208156 Jan 26, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
And when you say "our" kids what do you mean by that? Are you suggesting other people are not part of society where only people against gay marriage should be considered 'society'? And what have you done personally that you feel you can claim ownership? And if you are concerned about the environment they are raised in, what have you done to get 'your' kids out of foster care? Have you ever even bothered to visit a state foster agency to see the deplorable conditions 'your' kids are stuck growing up in?
Another top drawer post from you.

Fennario

#208157 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You want me to wear my Majorette uniform?
http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/un...
We're here, you know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,374,761
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr IB DaMann 9,550
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr Brian_G 310,974
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr Trojan 32,248
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 28 Ela 38
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 27 Jesse 201,845
News Kenny Drummond's Prep School Thingy (Jan '08) Apr 23 Bret Link 21
More from around the web