Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#208024 Jan 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. it's always about 'how the world should be' according to ... mmmm, what's the proper noun I'm looking for ??..
.. according to ????.. Who's the person, place, thing or idea ??..
You don't mean The World According To Garp? Funny book.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208025 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
God has a really small penis.
Pen.is broken. Please use finger.
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/...

Fennario

#208026 Jan 26, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Kid, remember that as you traverse life, one single visitation from God will undo everything you have been taught and extrapolated on your own.
Agreed. And the absence of such a visitation is an argument against the existence of that god. A visitation would be so easy and so conducive to its stated interests that the absence of daily or continuous visitations speaks to the god's nonexistence

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#208027 Jan 26, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal information I’m going to refrain from answering.
I’ll just say this, there’s millions of kids that have their homes busted up because of divorce. They end up living with people that they don’t like. The kids didn’t have choice but the courts did.
So they’re forced to live in squalor. Where they are repeatedly abused. Some kids are saved from this and removed from the homes and put up for adoption. But by far the most are not removed. They go through life being hated.
As Tam stated earlier most adoptive parents want babies. Older kids that have been abused could be more than a handful so they are passed over. Adoptive parents don’t want that. You are mistaken to believe SSM couples will be any different.
SSM adopting parents will not be the cure all end all as you are eluding too. What will be an issue is who gets the babies. The SSM couples or heterosexual couples?
I’m not saying gay couples will turn kids gay because I don’t know. I am saying kids raised up in this environment are going to have some serious mental issues. Kids are already fragile enough as it is. We don’t have a hundred thousand year history of SSM couples raising adoptive kids do we?
He answers it a lot better than I could. A lot more bluntly too.

Fennario

#208028 Jan 26, 2014
mtimber wrote:
If you think about it RT has basically stated that anyone disagreeing with her homosexuality is a bigot... Which is actually a bigoted position....
You are in precisely that same position, but with regard to a different issue - Christianity. You just called River Tam a bigot for calling those who disagree with her bigots. How are you not a bigot by your own standard?

Fennario

#208029 Jan 26, 2014
mtimber wrote:
I have noticed that most atheists when they haven't got anything to contribute are forced into an ad hominem position.
You contribute nothing to this discussion apart your example of what faith can do to a person. Pointing that out is not an ad hominem argument. It is a simple expression of disapproval tacked onto a valid rebuttal.

I predict that for as long as you continue to ask answered questions, make unwarranted assumptions, and refuse to answer the questions asked of you in return, you will continue to be treated dismissively, If you are capable of learning, try learning that.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#208030 Jan 26, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Pen.is broken. Please use finger.
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/...
That one made me pee a little bit.

Fennario

#208031 Jan 26, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
slavery is wrong
mtimber wrote:
So slavery is "absolutely" wrong?

Didn't you state in a previous post that there are no absolute moral positions? You contradict yourself and have lost the debate.
There you go again.

I can barely contain the contempt I feel for the institution that taught you to think this way. You are an intellectual train wreck.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#208032 Jan 26, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>please account for absolute moral standards.
I wonder if Socrates' question has ever been answered?

Paraphrasing: Does God command what is good because it is good, or is it good because God commands it?

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#208033 Jan 26, 2014
<quoted text>
You contribute nothing to this discussion apart your example of what faith can do to a person. Pointing that out is not an ad hominem argument. It is a simple expression of disapproval tacked onto a valid rebuttal.
I predict that for as long as you continue to ask answered questions, make unwarranted assumptions, and refuse to answer the questions asked of you in return, you will continue to be treated dismissively, If you are capable of learning, try learning that.
Reading just the last two pages, it appears that one's hedges of happy ignorance are trimmed and tight.

Fennario

#208034 Jan 26, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, what led you away from God is your desire to sin and your rejection of His authority over your life
You have been damaged by your faith. It teaches you to see good people making kind and intelligent choices as enemies simply because they reject the church. You have betrayed your fellow man to serve it.

Fennario

#208035 Jan 26, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Most inhabitants of the earth are a slave to sin.
Most are a slave to faith in gods.

Fennario

#208036 Jan 26, 2014
He may not be a person. He seems like a mechanism.
mtimber wrote:
So you too have assented to defeat by retreating to ad hominem. Is this the best I can expect from the atheists here.
You can expect contempt and ridicule for as long as you post the way that you do. If you don't mind, stop complaining about it. If you do mind, adapt. It's that simple. Continuing as you have and expecting to not be criticized for it is simply a losing plan.

Fennario

#208037 Jan 26, 2014
mtimber wrote:
So when society had a consensus that slavery was a good thing for society, then that slavery was a good moral position?
No. But it was your god's position.
mtimber wrote:
You have just justified slavery as morally acceptable if enough people agree to it.
Not so. I just told you that I reject the slavery of the Christian bible despite billions accepting it.

This is why people are contemptuous of you. You try to make our arguments while ignore our objections to them.

Fennario

#208038 Jan 26, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You say they're different but haven't offered any opinion or advice on what we, as a society, should do about drug addicts.
Not so. You missed it even after reposting it. Check the link above again.

Fennario

#208039 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You say the wake is evidence of a boat. Or a whale.
Or a school of fish. But it's evidence of a boat.
o.O
As I said, you don't seem to know what evidence is. Evidence can support multiple hypotheses at once while contradicting several others.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208040 Jan 26, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
I wonder if Socrates' question has ever been answered?

Paraphrasing: Does God command what is good because it is good, or is it good because God commands it?
I think that if the bible, in combination with various doctrines is indicative, it is good because god commands it.

However, god is man made so I would say that whichever men came up with the god, commanded what is good; according to their own moral standards.

It also seems that god's directives can be altered by church doctrine, which would also be the will of man.

As for commanding what is good because it's good, that would depend on the ones doing the commanding, I don't see that option in the bible though.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#208041 Jan 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hey, why didn't I think of that ??..
.. by chance, are you a lesbian ??..
I'm a lesbian in a man's body. Alas.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#208042 Jan 26, 2014
necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there any form of criticism of your church, doctrine, or religion that you don't consider bigotry?
In that post I was speaking of her words towards native Americans. I know it was meant as a joke or caricature of Christians but anyone else would be called on it. Nothing new under the sun. The latest in the raving example of bigotry from gov. Cuomo towards Christians is he didn't mean the words that came out of his mouth (they never do when called on it) Now he claims he was speaking only of politicians as if that's an excuse since they are in theory here to serve the people.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#208043 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is still a battle. Ginsberg is 80. Scalia, Breyer and Kennedy are pushing 80. The makeup of the SCOTUS will change in short order. I don't trust the electorate to make wise decisions. I mean, look at Bush. I'm sure he's a nice man but he had no business running a country.
I like this post as it is a key. No shock here I couldn't think less of President Obama but he is the President and as a citizen my President. See I do trust the people. Btw what is your idea since by your words you think the way this nation was set up isn't a good idea?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,395,674
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr IB DaMann 9,872
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Truth is might 311,343
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon Barbi A 201,865
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Mon Trojan 32,289
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web