Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247493 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#207339 Jan 24, 2014
christINSANITY is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
How many years will it take for you to realize that belief is not Evidence!?
Who cares?

Let me clue you into a reality, idiot.

The Greater Universe, God, or whatever was the creative force is putting YOU on trial, not the other way around.

They establish the rules of evidence, not you.

Ask Catcher.

“It's time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#207340 Jan 24, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
So lawyers were hung from trees in America? "Teach" me.
What do you call a failed lawyer?

A politician.
christINSANITY is evil

Leamington, Canada

#207341 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It certainly wasn't religion that caused its widespread use starting in the late 1800's.
It was science.
"Approximately 100,000 people in the United States have died, or are terminally ill, from asbestos exposure related to ship building."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos
That's just shipbuilding.
People didn't know it was that deadly then, would be my guess,or the employers simply didn't care if the workers got sick and died,,it's the Old Capitalist greed again..

Westcliffe, CO

#207342 Jan 24, 2014
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/20...

Funny video of a security camera catching a bear on a guy's front porch.

That turns into a second video that is a real close call with a car.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#207343 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
One allegement after another.
The bill of particulars is deferred.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#207344 Jan 24, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>What do you call a failed lawyer?

A politician.
Pmsl. That's the best one :-)

Westcliffe, CO

#207345 Jan 24, 2014
christINSANITY is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
People didn't know it was that deadly then, would be my guess,or the employers simply didn't care if the workers got sick and died,,it's the Old Capitalist greed again..
"Discovery of toxicity

"Pliny the Younger wrote in 61-114 AD that slaves who worked with the mineral asbestos became ill.[28] In 1899 Dr. Montague Murray first recognized the negative health effects of asbestos."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos#Discove...

"Industrial era

The U.S. asbestos industry began in 1858 when fibrous anthophyllite was mined for use as asbestos insulation by the Johns Company, a predecessor to the current Johns Manville at a quarry at Ward's Hill on Staten Island, New York.[25] Asbestos became more widespread during the industrial revolution; in 1866 it was used as insulation in the U.S. and Canada. Development of the first commercial asbestos mine began in 1874 in the Appalachian foothills of Quebec.[26] By the mid-20th century uses included fire retardant coatings, concrete, bricks, pipes and fireplace cement, heat, fire, and acid resistant gaskets, pipe insulation, ceiling insulation, fireproof drywall, flooring, roofing, lawn furniture, and drywall joint compound.

In Japan, particularly after World War II, asbestos was used in the manufacture of ammonium sulfate for purposes of rice production, sprayed upon the ceilings, iron skeletons, and walls of railroad cars and buildings (during the 1960s), and used for energy efficiency reasons as well. Production of asbestos in Japan peaked in 1974 and went through ups and downs until about 1990, when production began to drop severely."

Let's say science enabled the widespread use of it. Science still does such thing. Seems they never really knew what they knew. But it seemed a good idea at the time, and brought in some dollars.

Yep, that is something you can really put your faith in. Just trust science to lead you to Nirvana.

In the meantime don't mind the mistakes. If you die from one it will surely lead to a correction in the books. Once the legal actions are all done.

Westcliffe, CO

#207346 Jan 24, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The bill of particulars is deferred.
Meaning the dog ate them.

Pitiful.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#207347 Jan 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It's remarkable to me how infantile it is to imagine that a deity which created the entire universe would have any interest in whether an individual member of one species of mammal on our particular planet believes in it or not. Or that it would be any more interested in the behavior of humans than the behavior of bees, wolves, or red-faced Japanese macaques.
Ahhh! I don't think that He would.

The people in authority in the church - or any other house of worship - now that's a different matter.

Westcliffe, CO

#207348 Jan 24, 2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_%28symbo...

But serpents had legs before God turned them into snakes.

"In one Native North American story, an evil serpent kills one of the gods' cousins, so the god kills the serpent in revenge, but the dying serpent unleashes a great flood. People first flee to the mountains and then, when the mountains are covered, they float on a raft until the flood subsides. The evil spirits that the serpent god controlled then hide out of fear.[20] The Mound Builders associated great mystical value to the serpent, as the Serpent Mound demonstrates, though we are unable to unravel the particular associations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_%28symbo...

Serpents, floods. That one was a long ways from Babylonia and the Middle East.

Read an article today somewhere about the Babylonian ark was round based on some 4000 yr old scrolls. Was a common craft of the time, but bigger. Can't remember where I read it.

Goodnight.

Westcliffe, CO

#207349 Jan 24, 2014
http://nypost.com/2014/01/24/4000-year-old-ta...

That is the article about the ark.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#207350 Jan 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, no.
All snakes are serpents but not all serpents are snakes.
Capisce?
They are in French.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#207351 Jan 24, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the snake weaves its way through many myths because it sheds its skin and is reborn ..
.. in Hinduism, it's a symbol for reincarnation. Serpents are also prominent in Greek, ancient European, Nordic, African and Aborigine mythology ..
.. cross-cultural comparisons of myths reflect snake symbology ..
.. in the bible, the serpent tempts Adam & Eve and they are born again with a knowledge of good and evil, death and morality. To accept the symbology as fact is a misnomer ..
.. capice ??..
Yes. It's also used as a medical symbol.
UidiotRacemakeWo rldpeace

United States

#207352 Jan 24, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
So is Garfield. So what?!
i talking about real Grouchy not a cartoon ! So what? something to talk about! that is what i talking ABOUT , so?

bAQHHAHAHAAAA

United States

#207353 Jan 24, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's also used as a medical symbol.
And early founding days before inception of and US Empire... that motto and saying is?

Wink Wink WINK!

Bahhahaaaaa

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#207354 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What those who snared you are trying to do?
Rope a dope the disaffected and deficient minded?
What? No one "snared" me.

United States

#207355 Jan 24, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you call a failed lawyer?
A politician.
What you called a Successful ogranized christianity ?

Satanic cults!

Bahahhaaaaa

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#207356 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Meaning the dog ate them.
Pitiful.
Dude!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#207357 Jan 24, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree with you, several Topix Christians do maintain their beliefs are indisputable facts.
As I have said far too many times, these "fundies" cast a poor light on Christianity. Like it or not when a person claims "I am a Christian" then spouts nonsense (at best). It makes all Christians look like idiots.
It isn't fair but it does happen.
The thing is though is that they are trying to question methodology and say if it doesn't lead to truth for everyone that uses it then it must be flawed or of no value and that's just stupid.

The methodology may be sound but there isn't enough information

The methodology may be sound but someone is not doing it correctly

The methodology may be sound but they are using the wrong information

The methodology may be sound but they can't be objective

And so and so on

Look how many sociologists may have different beliefs regarding root causes for behavior despite testing the same things

Look how many different opinions there are concerning a psychological diagnosis

Or a medical diagnosis

Of scientific theory such as how life began

People are so desperate to discredit faith that they start making just silly claims. And lose sight of what is they are even talking about. It's called faith for a reason. I personally have never seen anyone claim a belief is a fact. Sure some people express it in a way that could lead someone to conclude they do. I guess there is a fine line between confident and knowing for a fact

But either way, there are dozens of reasons why different people may follow the same process yet not get the same results. And just because nobody can prove which faith is true is certainly no proof that none of them are

But you are almost always pretty reasonable in your approach when you and I discuss things and that's appreciated

(T) Peace

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#207358 Jan 24, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that a great many people, not necessarily you, make the claim that faith is a way to knowledge. The fact that faith can lead different people to contradictory conclusions says that faith is NOT a way to knowledge. It is quite likely to lead on away from the truth.
I think that it has been well demonstrated that skepticism...that is, taking a long, hard look at the subject and not accepting conclusions without demonstrative supporting facts...has been far more effective at finding truth than faith.
Why you consider faith a virtue is beyond me. Many of the people that tell you to have faith are trying to sell you a pig in a poke.
Sure a methodology centered around facts is going to be much more likely to lead to a provable truth.

Faith doesn't claim to be using the same methodology

And just because it may lead to less truth or truth that can't be proved doesn't mean it can't lead to truth

But because it can't be proven is specifically why it is faith. To oversimplify it, faith deals with the heart while science deals with the mind. More of a feeling than a fact. But nobody should be claiming they are the sand thing. And if nobody is, there is no need for the comparison

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min red and right 1,277,112
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Into The Night 6,909
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr stewart scott 29,943
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 10 hr Pastor Pete 201,864
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Mon RoSesz 310,231
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
More from around the web