Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238901 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#206196 Jan 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what they said in a book I read about third world women, called Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. The most likely way for a woman to put herself at risk of HIV was to get married.
Even some prostitutes are less at risk, they said, because they are more likely to use protection.
I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a documentary out on DVD called " I Am A Girl ".

I think you would find it interesting.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206197 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, morals. Yet AIDS is rampant wherever there is christian involvement.
Not true. If it were then the USA's Bible Belt would be under control of the CDC.

Don;t stretch the truth. You look like a theist. <smile>

“Filia Spartacus”

Since: Jun 13

Camp Cove

#206198 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, morals. Yet AIDS is rampant wherever there is christian involvement.
It sounds like it from your information sources.

And to think it was in church when I was a kid, that I heard a sermon about divine retribution. About how HIV is the modern day "fire and brimstone."

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#206199 Jan 22, 2014
A very interesting and disturbing read.

<quoted text>
“We are not the healer. God is the healer. Never a sickness God cannot heal. Never a disease God can- not cure. We don’t ask people to stop taking medica- tion. Doctors treat; God heals,” a representative of the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) stated in an interview in October 2011.1 SCOAN is an Evangelical Christian church based in Lagos and operating in several parts of London.2 Under the leadership of T.B. Joshua, Nigeria’s thirst richest clergyman, the church has come under criticism in recent months for advising their congregations to stop taking lifesaving HIV medica- tion. The church’s website claims to offer special prayer and “HIV-Aids healing” as a service, as well as selling “Anointing Water” to help with healing process. The website also boasts photos and testimonials from mem- bers who have been “cured” of HIV. Forty-eight year- old Jane Iwu, a resident of east London, reports that
her friend died after her pastor told her to stop taking her HIV medication.“[The pastor] told her...that ‘God is healer and has healed her.’”3 Ms. Iwu, who is HIV- positive herself, is not alone in this story. Three women have recently passed away after ending treatment at the advice of their pastor.
<quoted text>
http://ejournals.library.vanderbilt.edu/index...

The rise of AIDS in predominantly christian countries is unmistakeable, this article compares christianity to islam in Africa but it would be interesting to look at the numbers in the Americas, where christianity is still the majority and the number of AIDS sufferers is quite high, in contrast to a country that is predominantly secular, where the number of AIDS sufferers is lower.

Location hidden

#206200 Jan 22, 2014
Does anyone know if anointing and prayer can cure AIDS yet?

Location hidden

#206201 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. If it were then the USA's Bible Belt would be under control of the CDC.
Don;t stretch the truth. You look like a theist. <smile>
Funny you should say that, I've been doing some research and the numbers don't agree with you.

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#206202 Jan 22, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
How many people want to see their tax dollars go to needle exchanges do heroin addicts can swap out dirty needles to get clean ones so the risk of infection is less?
It is a controversial issue where morals clash with realistic health concerns and it involves tax dollars. I would think wherever someone came down on the issue it would be understandable as there is certainly two sides
But would anybody claim the church should have to support the notion of swap out your heroin needles? So why would it come as a surprise they also oppose the message of sleep with whoever, just wrap it up?
Different parts of society has different responsibilities. Private institutions have different goals than government run health institutions. I don't blame Health and Human services for doing needle exchanges. I understand why some wouldn't want tax money going to it. And I certainly understand why the church would want the message to be don't do drugs
This isn't complicated stuff. People are making it complicated because they want to see an enemy in a situation where one doesn't exist. Two totally different organizations with two totally different goals and views
Now if a Christian organization that was being funded to prevent AIDS actually told people don't wear condoms when sleeping with strangers, then we would have a problem. But expecting the church in general to take the position that's the best way to combat AIDS over monogamy and abstinence is just silly. Sure people may ignore them. But their job is to teach what they think us morally right
FYI we have had needle exchanges here since the 80s. I think they only have to bring their box of needles back, then are given another.

It's not illegal to carry them either, only the drugs.

You might say, ah they're only junkies. But if they don't prevent infection, the next person they pass it onto might be "innocent".

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#206203 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You may need to compose them on a Word doc and keep them there until they appear on the thread. That's what I had to do when my computer was crashing twice a day, often mid-post.
Good thinking, 99.

Location hidden

#206204 Jan 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like it from your information sources.
And to think it was in church when I was a kid, that I heard a sermon about divine retribution. About how HIV is the modern day "fire and brimstone."
Yeah, I've heard it said that it's almost as though the church might be planning yet another insidious genocide, I have to wonder myself, especially after reading all the information connecting AIDS to religion, especially christianity.

I'm compiling it all but did you know that our numbers for AIDS is very low now and that we are, according to the latest statistics, only 40% christian now?

Then you have Europe, where the numbers of HIV/AIDS sufferers have been steadily declining, what else has been steadily declining in European countries such as France, Netherlands and Sweden?

christianity has.

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#206205 Jan 22, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother married a Swedish woman and moved there. He told that the Swedes tell Norwegian jokes.
True story, though.
Some time back, when I was posting regularly on the evolution threads, I was trying to explain that the DNA evidence linking T-Rex and chickens did not mean chickens were descended from T-Rex. It merely meant that they were related. Just as he and his uncle had similar DNA, but he was not descended from his uncle.
Now, keep in mind this creationist was from WVa.
His response..."How do you know I'm not descended from my uncle?"
And there you have it.
LOL. Curiouser and curiouser...

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#206206 Jan 22, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
The situation you present above has led to a lot of very unhappy relationships.
No arguments. I'm sure that Phyllis Gates Hudson would agree too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_marriag...
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-b...

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#206207 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've heard it said that it's almost as though the church might be planning yet another insidious genocide, I have to wonder myself, especially after reading all the information connecting AIDS to religion, especially christianity.
I'm compiling it all but did you know that our numbers for AIDS is very low now and that we are, according to the latest statistics, only 40% christian now?
Then you have Europe, where the numbers of HIV/AIDS sufferers have been steadily declining, what else has been steadily declining in European countries such as France, Netherlands and Sweden?
christianity has.
Good research.

I'm not sure about AIDS though. I've heard a few conspiracy theories about it by now.

Did you know that monkeys can die of a version of it? So can cats, including my beautiful Persian.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#206208 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Do you think that if you held precisely the opposite opinion, that it would be difficult to support using the same book? I said earlier that the bible is something of a verbal Rorschach test. Each psyche gets to choose the set of scriptures it prefers to emphasize and those it prefers to call allegory, mistranslated, or old law.
Possibly, but even if that is the case, the evidence is sufficient to show Wilderide's condemnation erroneous.

Location hidden

#206209 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
I smell a book opportunity: Of Penguins and Prosperity: The Central Question of Financial Origins
Penguin Publishing might be interested.

Location hidden

#206210 Jan 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Good research.
I'm not sure about AIDS though. I've heard a few conspiracy theories about it by now.
Did you know that monkeys can die of a version of it? So can cats, including my beautiful Persian.
Yeah I read something about monkeys, briefly mind you but I didn't know about cats!

I had a gorgeous white Persian, she was the epitome of nonchalance and the toms on the block were terrified of her, funny as.

As far as conspiracy theories go, the AIDS epidemic concept doesn't appear to be as removed from reality as some others, so far anyway.

Location hidden

#206211 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And there it is - translation to suit the translator.
The words are obviously a warning to those interested in getting into heaven. If worldly riches make it impossible to get into heaven, they're not merely worthless. They're dangerous.
It doesn't mention "heaven". It refers to the "Kingdom of God"

"the kingdom is inside of you", according to Jesus.

Jesus said, "When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

What is meant by the verse is this:

When you are rich, your focus tends to be on riches - an outward egoic trapping, and you fail to know yourself as the divine son of God. Awareness of the divine sonship is "entering the Kingdom". It is within.

That was the message of Jesus - to be later hijacked.

Bongo

Coram, NY

#206212 Jan 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that.
Their god comes first, no matter what.
Family be damned.
Its true , how do you think trash like me escaped the ghetto , violence, drugs, alcohol and hate? To name just a few problems. I ascribe my notable achievements to God. My children are living proof too.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#206213 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Penguin Publishing might be interested.
They are only interested in cuckold penguins

Location hidden

#206214 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
For Riverside Redneck:
Experience and experiment (empiricism) can be a path to knowledge. If every time I heat ice to 32°F it melts, I know something. Conflicting ideas cannot be supported by evidence.
Pure reason (rationalism) can be a path to knowledge. It tells us that 7+4=11, and unless we redefine what those symbols mean, no opposite opinion can be supported by reason.
But faith (fideism) can't possibly be a path to truth or knowledge since any position and its opposite can be held by faith.
Are there questions you cannot determine by reason?

For some questions, aren't there a plurality of different answers that might be apparently justified by reason?

If that is the case, then reason alone cannot answer every question, and cannot always tell us the correct or the most reasonable alternative, something else must be relied upon.

What then?

Location hidden

#206215 Jan 22, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
I would recommend that everyone watch this. It's a long video but it's worth spending the time on.
Sam Harris on Free Will:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pCofmZlC72gXX
Maybe some other time.

Sam Harris is a fool and a bigot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,231,874
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 5,549
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr State the Obvious 309,849
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr tom wingo 29,760
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) May 17 tom wingo 84
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 15 Pietro Armando 201,808
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) May 12 jay 7
More from around the web