Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#205936 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, how did we lose to Seattle? WTF???
Sherman........;)

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#205937 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure "anything" would include wealth.
Does "anything" include anything?

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#205938 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you are still using the laughable debate strategy of telling people what they are thinking or what their experiences have been, as if you have any clue.
Your complete mischaracterization of his ministry is a pretty good clue.

“The future begins”

every moment

#205939 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>You, like RR, think Christians have the only definition of "God".

You don't.

[QUOTE who="BenAdam"]<qu oted text> You Christers are a hoot. You don't even read your own magic book.
Bennie don't pay attention too good, do he.....?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#205940 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
And who interprets the Constitution?
And who swears an oath to follow it?

By your reasoning, we don't need a Constitution.

Can they "interpret" separation of powers to be absent in it, and begin legislating?

It was written down and ratified. They are obligated to work within it, not outside it.

It's a strange venue where I have to explain this.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205941 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Bennie don't pay attention too good, do he.....?
Sorry. Should have been "Those" Christers, not "You".

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#205942 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Does "anything" include anything?
Do you have a reason to say it doesn't include material prosperity?

The scriptures saying it does are ubiquitous.

And I'm fairly sure "prosperity and health" includes "prosperity".

“The future begins”

every moment

#205943 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The straying is almost always in the liberal direction. Steadily, incrementally.
On church-state issues, it was sudden.
Most of it began in the 30s and 40s when Roosevelt packed the court with radicals.
Well, that's about what I expected.

Do you not find it a little less than objective when decisions you feel are "outside the law" also just happen to be ones you disagree with? How amazing is that?

What is a continuing amazement is how blissfully unaware people can be of the intrusion of self into a question.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#205944 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. First went the witch hunts, then slavery, then abolished child labor, then they gave women and blacks the right to vote and now you can barely kill a Jew or Negro and get away with it in the USA.
Your point ?
I was about to ask you the same thing.

“The future begins”

every moment

#205945 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a Constitution.
Surprised you missed it. It was in all the papers.
Your non sequiturs are a sure indicator you see you painted yourself in a corner. Again.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205946 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you view HIV as a moral or health issue ??..
.. for faithful African women, marriage is a major risk factor and Bush's AIDS prevention mantra of abstinence only, subsidized by taxpayer dollars, is failing them ..
: how can you compare lives saved by condoms against lives lost through policies based on religious morals that sabotage known prevention measures ??..
.. I'm sorry RR, I find your comments disingenuous. The current HIV prevention program in Africa, underscored by anti-gay views, has become a patronage system for the religious right and the emphasis on abstinence has resulted in unnecessary deaths ..
I think HIV is a health issue brought on, and spread by, substandard morality.

What are you talking about? Christians are all over Africa doing what they can to prevent the spread of any more diseases.

They cant help it if the people won't listen.

San Francisco

#205947 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your complete mischaracterization of his ministry is a pretty good clue.
Says you.

San Francisco

#205948 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And who swears an oath to follow it?
By your reasoning, we don't need a Constitution.
Can they "interpret" separation of powers to be absent in it, and begin legislating?
It was written down and ratified. They are obligated to work within it, not outside it.
It's a strange venue where I have to explain this.
Take a civics class, Buck. The job of SCOTUS is to interpret the Constitution.

San Francisco

#205949 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a reason to say it doesn't include material prosperity?
The scriptures saying it does are ubiquitous.
And I'm fairly sure "prosperity and health" includes "prosperity".
If it includes anything, does it include penguins too? Prove that it doesn't include penguins.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205950 Jan 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we are discussing AIDS and Africa...that means we are discussing sub-Saharan Africa. And this may be news to you, but Africans south of the Sahara are...black.
So in that sense, "blame the Africans" = "blame the blacks (in Africa)"
So, yes, racist.
Not only were we discussing AIDS in Africa, we were also talking about the two possible groups of people responsible for it spreading.

The Christian missionaries and the Africans.

Christians are not going to preach to the Africans to have wild promiscuous rape sex, the Africans are doing that all their own.

So you ask which group is responsible? I'm going to say the Africans.

That implied nothing to race, but of a group of people - a nationality of sorts.

That you jumped to a conclusion that I was referring to black people is your problem, not mine.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205951 Jan 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, speak in Redneckian: "Blame the monkeys."
You're such a child.

“The future begins”

every moment

#205952 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. Should have been "Those" Christers, not "You".
Appreciate it. Leave it behind.

I gotta say ya seemed to be going in multiple directions there. The Tao? The Tao doesn't take a stand on god or gods (afore you go off again, notice the little "g"). Tao doesn't care, except so far as the concept is important to the individual. What would the Tao have to say about whether a god is deity or not?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205953 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. my apology for not stating my position in a clear, concise manner ..
.. no, Christians are NOT encouraging promiscuity, just the opposite ..
.. again, I'm not an expert on the situation. My objection comes from Christian organizations condemning condoms and tying abstinence and faithfulness to funding of HIV prevention in Africa. It isn't working ..
<quoted text>
.. the Bush initiative ties funding to abstinence and Christian values ..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3887177.s...
"It may be the most expensive effort ever mounted by a government to fight Aids internationally, but the $15bn programme comes with strings attached - notably in diverting a third of the funds to faith based groups which preach abstinence.
Its critics see this provision as thinly disguised Christian moralism which is at best paternalistic, and at worst a sure-fire way of endangering lives by failing to place sufficient emphasis on condoms."
http://www.monitor.net/monitor/0603a/copyrigh...
"Yet while decades of research support the dramatic impact of comprehensive safer sex and condom distribution programs, recipients of these abstinence grants are disallowed from promoting condom use, distributing condoms, or educating about their proper usage. In effect, this program is morality masquerading as public policy, and the public health effects could be devastating."
.. isn't saving a life more important than teaching morals ??..
Condoms are readily available all over the world yet the spread of sexual transmitted disease continues.

I'd say that handing out condoms doesn't work, it's time to start teaching people morality again.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#205954 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you are still using the laughable debate strategy of telling people what they are thinking or what their experiences have been, as if you have any clue.
We aren't having a debate. I'm just correcting you.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205955 Jan 21, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there is but I no longer have the patience to explain to you the difference between a violent, criminal act and an affectionate, loving act. It's becoming boringly repetitive.
Now, I'm off to teach my dining room chair to walk. I think I have a better chance at that.
I've already explained the difference between a loving act of sex and the violent to act of rape.

You're getting your panties in a wad over this. I have not once said that homosexuality is similar to rape or violence, but you seem to be taking that way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,685,125
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Katrina Cute 326,725
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 7 hr Mothra 12,066
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Good meat missile 35,371
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan 17 Sweet 293
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan 4 NicePhartts 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Dec 24 Randy from Wooster 201,884
More from around the web