Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#205793 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Like most libs I've met you say nothing here concerning the bigotry of people of faith.
You've skipped over a lot of posts. We comment on that a lot.

Or maybe you meant bigotry TOWARD people of faith. We comment on that a lot as well. I could provide you with some samples from my files if you'd like. You can find one from me to lightbeamrider on this page a few posts up

Fennario

#205794 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ever been with a broad with a hairy snatch? Good grief, it's like kissing a hairy tuna fish.(mental image, that one)
Oh no you di'int! Oh no you di'int! LOL.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205795 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe, but a corollary is, "It's good to be good, but not too good." Being all righteous was downright fatal to Job's family and livelihood.
The proud are often humbled.

Job suffered the sin of pride. That neither made him 'unrighteous' nor the reason for God inflicting him and his family with disaster.

Job, like all men, is a pawn in a great cosmic game that 'God' plays against himself.

We humans may be 'Gods' but we will a die and be eventually forgotten.(based on Psalm 82)

In Job, "God" seems to be saying that there Universe is far more important than mankind and that mankind needs to be knocked of its self made pedestal.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#205796 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not a lack of belief.
Nobody on this thread lacks belief. To propose it as a default position is just more atheist dishonesty.
pissoffpatheticloser

Fennario

#205797 Jan 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
So you agree with Buck that "There is no God" is an exact quote from the Bible?

[QUOTE who="RiversideRedneck "]That's an exact, PARTIAL, quote from the Bible.
Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart,“There is no God.”
All quotes from the bible are partial. Here's a larger part, which reveals the hateful generalization concealed by your sample of it:

"The fool has said in his heart,“There is no God.” They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good."

We're abominable. Every one of us.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#205798 Jan 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I could have used one of these when I went out running in Patagonia.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#205799 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see how it didn't
It made a direct link to the presence of Christian missions and the spread of Aids
I would have to go back further i guess to see if somehow that evolved from something else
But if the implication wasn't that Christians are teaching people not to use contraception was a direct reason for the increase in the spread of Aids then what was it saying?
That is exactly what it was implying except nobody says "I am going to have a one-night stand with this whore but I am not going to wear a condom because its against my religion"
If someone was following their religion they wouldn't be doing any of it. In fact, hang on, gonna copy the part of post I replied to:
HL wrote:
"today, because of Evangelistic prothletising, AIDS has become a major killer in some African countries .."
What else could that be implying?
I believe I mentioned several things that was implying...none of them the promotion of promiscuity you claimed. You seem to be wearing religious blinders.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#205800 Jan 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no you di'int! Oh no you di'int! LOL.
Actually it says a lot about the type of women he frequents

Fennario

#205801 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
But mostly no as long as they keep their gayness out of the workplace.
How about keeping straightness out of the workplace, like no wedding rings or pictures of opposite gendered spouses?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Meaning no provocations and disrupting it with arguments.
Arguments take two or more.

What's provocative? Is a bible provocative to a gay or atheist person? Could be. You'll want to ban those from the workplace, as well as symbols of Christianity, like crosses around the neck.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#205802 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you are but what am I?
:)
dishonest

Fennario

#205803 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Women now are told you wash your hands to protect against things in your mouth, which is similar tissue to a vagina, but not at least rinse inside the vagina.
Some women flap their mouths so much some sunlight will get in to kill germs, That don't happen the other place.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. you really hate women, don't you ??..
LOL. What a show this has been.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205804 Jan 21, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Wrong again.
Oh.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#205805 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The proud are often humbled.
Job suffered the sin of pride. That neither made him 'unrighteous' nor the reason for God inflicting him and his family with disaster.
Job, like all men, is a pawn in a great cosmic game that 'God' plays against himself.
We humans may be 'Gods' but we will a die and be eventually forgotten.(based on Psalm 82)
In Job, "God" seems to be saying that there Universe is far more important than mankind and that mankind needs to be knocked of its self made pedestal.
I agree with the bulk, but where was Job's pride? At most, what I see is him feeling sorry for himself, and if any man ever had good reason, it was Job. Secondarily, God seems to have a problem with him questioning God, even tho' that is exactly what he refused to do when his friends urged it on him. But I don't see the pride, unless it's supposed to be inferred...?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205806 Jan 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Sorry.
Of course you're ignorant.
Stupid and ignorant.
I didn't say dumb. But stupid, yes.
Apology accepted.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205807 Jan 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
You're really into this stuff.
Do some exercise. Take a cold shower.
Your god surely disapproves of your obsession with deviant sex.
Concession accepted.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#205808 Jan 21, 2014
A repost of one I wrote a long time ago in a thread far far away:

BibleGod's gamer attitude toward His creation is most telling in the story of Job. Now here you'll have some interesting dialogue between Creator and created - it is good reading, but for years I've tried to get preachers to please agree with me this is just a parable; it's a hard thing to deal with a God who would really act in such a shameful way.

You know the story - God's having a staff meeting, at which Satan is in attendance right along with the other worker-angels. Yup the very same wayward angel that allegedly FUBARed God's creation at the git-go, and was allegedly banished, is seen here sittin' around shootin' the breeze with The Old Man like a trusted VP of Ops.

Anyway, God's bragging up this righteous dude Job, right? In fact He's kinda rubbing Satan's nose in it. Well, Satan contends that it's just 'cos God's been so good to Job - Satan bets that Job will curse God in a heartbeat if God would allow Satan to really screw this poor guy over! Well, faster than a galloping camel, God gives Satan express permission to do any and all harm to this righteous fellow, right up to, but not to include, personal death.

So, with God's blessing stuck in his vest pocket, Satan goes right to work on this man Job who, in God's own words, is a "good man". And Satan is cruelly efficient. Loss of property, loss of health, and even the deaths of several children and sundry family members, all roll one after the other over the righteous but hapless Job. All along this dude Job ain't in on the gag - he don't know he's being punked.....er, excuse me, tested! He withdraws and begins to feel sorry for himself a little bit, what with being covered with boils and just burying yet another child. He complains to a few friends who stop by to "make him feel better", which, just like many friends today, actually make him feel worse.

But sure enough, through it all, Job - being the only actor of true character in this little morality play - never curses God; in fact he spends the final chapters scraping his boils and playing straight man to God as Himself puffs and crows in terrible and gratuitous splendor. O'course nobody ever informs Job that the whole thing is directly connected to a wager between God and his top killer angel. Job is actually ashamed and begs forgiveness - he'd been having something of a rough patch lately, he says, surely God would understand?

End result: BibleGod wins His props on earth AND heaven, Job gets twice his stuff back, and hey! some new family to boot, and all lived happily ever after!

Moral of the story: It's good to be good, but not TOO good.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205809 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
That is kind of my point
How can someone take it upon themselves to claim something is a sin that isn't listed as a sin in the Bible? Let alone claim God is killing people because of it?
The Bible also says nothing of liars marrying. Liars are an abomination in the eyes of God
<quoted text>
Christians do not own marriage
Especially when secular rights have been attached
If someone was trying to force the church to perform the sacrament of marriage under God as a union it did not agree with that would be one thing. I would be the first to say that people outside the church have no right to force a private organization to marry anybody it does not want to. And that includes all sorts of scenarios where even between straight couples the church does not just sign off on a marriage. Couples are expected to show they are of the faith and plan on living the faith if they want to be married in the church
But at the same time we are not a theocracy. And people outside the church do not need people within the church to approve of their definition of marriage. That is up to the individual states.
Whatever someone wishes to oppose based on their own feelings is certainly something that is within their rights. When it comes up to a vote you have every right to vote no and you have every right to say why you did
But when Christians claim God is killing people, including other Christians, because people within the state have legalized gay marriage, I think its important they show where in the Bible that would be supported if they are going to claim they are standing on God's Word. There is nothing that says two people committing to each other for life is a sin let alone a basis to claim God is killing people over it IMO. But that is why I was hoping you might address some of the things I had asked. Because IMO you are saying much more than homosexuality is a sin. You are singling it out, ignoring other abominable sins, claiming God is killing people over it and then saying you are standing on His Word. Some of the things I asked I think would have shined some light on whether you are standing on God's Word or perhaps giving your own opinions.
Great post.

Fennario

#205810 Jan 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having close friends that you love and care for. If two people live together their entire life as loving friends that’s ok. But when the relationship involves same sex it is wrong in my opinion.

And my opinion is based on Gods word.
Yes, I know. So are lightbeamrider's and Clearwater's.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Doctor, you and I will not see eye to eye on this issue because for starters you don’t even believe in God.
If the only reason you believe something is because you have been convinced that a god commanded it, it is not worth believing.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I do believe in God and I have no ill will against your Dear friends.
I never thought you did have ill will. This is a cold bigotry, delivered with a smile and a sense of righteousness.

Still, you are a willing vector for a meme that harms people. I cannot support that. Sure, it's your right to believe and promote whatever your religion teaches you, but it's our right to believe and promote what our consciences tell us.

You can understand why people that consider what the church teaches unjust and unkind would speak harshly against the institution that instructs them thusly. That's not just our right, but our responsibility as moral agents.

The church fails to consider that at its own peril. I am certain that it cannot withstand the hail of censure that is raining down upon it now and is sure to escalate as the number of unbelievers grows, and as we learn from one another just as we are right here right now. Have you not noticed the number of voices and their intensity growing both here and in the culture at large? I predict that in ten more years, a scene like the one involving Duckman will turn out for him like Paula Deen's racist comments did for her. One issue has been maturing for much longer than the other, but they will surely achieve parity soon. Will the church adapt to that, or self-destuct in its myopic bigotry?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205811 Jan 21, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No I think you are equating homosexuality in a one sided affair.
If a gay man rapes you , you did not participate in a homosexual act, you are the victim of a crime. If you define him raping you a "homosexual act" it makes you a homosexual by definition. Him raping you isn't sexual behavior between members of the same sex.
But it is a criminal sexual act by one member of the same sex.
Think about it Ar Ar even by religious thinking if a kid who was raped was in a homosexual act, then they are subject to the same punishment.
Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."1
Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"
No the child was not in a homosexual act, the child was a victim of a sexual crime.
It has been determined the perpetrators of pedophile crimes are usually not homosexual or even heterosexual either, they are pedophile sexual.
Pedophilia has been described as a disorder of sexual preference, phenomenologically similar to a heterosexual or homosexual sexual orientation.
In other words they are sexually attracted to children and gender is irrelevant.
Yes, it is a crime. But it's still a homosexual act.

And don't quote Leviticus to me, I'm not Jewish and I'm not a Levite.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205812 Jan 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
By Anugrah Kumar, Christian Post Contributor
January 11, 2014|1:23 pm
A Hawaii court has dismissed two churches from a lawsuit that atheists brought against five congregations in the Aloha State accusing them of defrauding the government. The atheists failed to produce evidence.
The court found that atheists Mitchell Kahle and Holly Huber failed to sufficiently allege that One Love Ministries and Calvary Chapel Central Oahu committed fraud by paying substandard rent to the public schools in which they meet, Alliance Defending Freedom, whose attorneys represented the two congregations, said in a statement Friday.
Kahle, the founder of Hawaii Citizens for the Separation of Church and State, and public advocate Huber made the accusation despite the school districts agreeing that the churches have consistently paid all agreed-upon rents, said ADF, which has nearly 2,300 allied attorneys.
"Congregations serving the neediest in their communities should be welcomed, not driven out by bogus accusations resulting from a clear hostility to churches," said the group's senior legal counsel, Erik Stanley, who argued before the court last month. "The churches have been completely honest and have paid all required rent to the schools. The court has rightly thrown out this lawsuit and its invented claims against our clients."
The churches have not only faithfully paid all of their rent, they have given even more in service and funding to the schools and communities they love, said co-counsel James Hochberg of Honolulu, who is also with Alliance Defending Freedom. "Honestly, these churches are the exact opposite of how they are being characterized in this baseless lawsuit. It has been a shameful attack upon people completely undeserving of such animosity," he said.
The suit was filed under the state's False Claims Act, which allows "whistle-blowers" with inside information to expose fraudulent billing by government contractors. But the lawsuit failed to prove that the churches submitted any false statement to defraud the government.
----------
Eagle 12
Atheist failed to produce evidence?[laughing]
And those atheists try to keep the separation of church and state by shoving the state down the church's throat.

That makes no sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min VetnorsGate 1,478,923
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 44 min Trojan 32,711
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 48 min Into The Night 10,654
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sun RiccardoFire 201,892
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Sun cpeter1313 313,187
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Jan 14 Buffalo Bull 74
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Dec 20 san isidro company 42
More from around the web