Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255968 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204534 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Everything Catcher1 said was true.
I think RR would agree.
I don't mind RR's jokes. I laugh at the ones I find funny.
True? No he wasn't, well not totally.

Here's what was false that Catch wrote:

"There's no point in trying to defend yourself."

"you have expressed views that are homophobic"

"You have called black kids monkeys (because they're black)"

"You've also shown us that you think it's cool--makes you a real American and all that."

"There's no way your kids don't know the person you are."

That's pretty much everything he said. None of it is true.

What he wrote that is true:

"you have admitted to bigotry"

"and you relish in demeaning women and homosexuals in your jokes"

It's fun. Sue me.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#204535 Jan 18, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>People have a lot of misconceptions about the abuse in teh church. I can provide the links if people want them but the stats are as follows
1-5% of the population is guesstimated to be pedophile
Less than 2% of all Catholic priests were accused of abusing children.(yes some abuse wasn't made public. Others could have been bogus claims to get money based on public perception. There is no way to know but it may even itself out)
There is a higher percentage of pedophiles in the teaching professions and psychiatry
So not only the church is pretty much on par with anywhere in society as far as percentage of pedophiles (who were born or turned that way well before entering) the reason why it is highest in teaching an psychiatry is abusers seek out jobs where they have access to children. In addition, in the church, someone can hide in plain sight. Nobody wonders why a single man never dates who is a priest. Plus there are probably pedophile priests who became priests hoping the vow of celibacy and the church would aid in an attempt to stop being a pedophile and they failed
But pedophiles have infiltrated the church. And while the church should pay and pay dearly criminally and civilly for any cover-up, nothing taught or no culture present is why a priest turned pedophile. They infest society everywhere and in higher concentrations where there are children.
Thanks for the closet homo defense, but it doesn't help your case.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204536 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Rape and pedophilia have nothing to do with sex. It's simply dominance. Nothing else.
Then why do rapists and pedopheliacs all share one thing in common?

(That'd be sex with their victims)

Ever hear of a rapist that didn't have sex with their victim?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#204537 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a fan of Ted Cruz?
I'm not but I liked his reading of Green Eggs and Ham. I still love that book.
Dr. Seuss was a wise man but a little kinky. A Wocket in My Pocket????
I'm just sayin
Yes I think Cruz has integrity. Its something, the man spoke for almost a day and this is what is remembered. I've listened to his father too. Very sharp man. Considering where they come from and the direction we as a nation are moving I like the insight many here may not have. A few days ago Cruz called out the hypocrisy of a Hollywood lib that makes money off of violent movies crying about guns. Considering most of these folks have armed (evil guns) agents protecting them 24/7 its good.

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/US/7509auow1/Ted...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#204538 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Wait a tic.
"You either are [homosexual] or you're not."
"I've had sex with heterosexual girls who wanted to be lesbian."
How could they "want to be"?!
You either are or you're not, right?
Except when you want to be...
Sexual orientation, as you experience it, is a cultural construct.

The construct you understand is several decades out of date.

To truly understand human sexuality, you'd have to step outside of cultural constructs to look at human universals, and examine how cultural meaning systems influence how people conceptualize sexuality.

People inside a culture do not have to conform to the subjective meaning systems of that culture. A straight man could have sex with other men without ever identifying as a homosexual or bisexual. Sexual behavior and orientation and identity are not necessarily linked.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204539 Jan 18, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I'm good here River. You do know of course and I say this very calmly I couldn't disagree more. Many schools of thought on eschatology and its not something I've spent much time on. I do think Israel is the key and everyone in a position of leadership is put in place by God. Its no mistake the potus we have at this time you know. Its also no mistake that right now just about anyone that stands for the gospel is accused of hate. On the Muppets I saw this at the cinema when I was about 7. Think it was the late 70s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jSFLZ-MzIhMXX
Have you been to China?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#204540 Jan 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, cut me some slack. It's eighteen degrees and I'm having a shitty day. How's your new phone working out?
I love it. Just need a secure case to carry it in.

Having a heat wave?

Except for that recent cold spell has been fairly mild here. Been in the 50's quite often this year. Did get down to nine degree high a few days during that cold.

It can get cold here. Minus 18 low and less than zero high and bit breezy a couple of years ago. For a week.

I was TDY in Ravenna many years ago during late Winter and early Spring. The day we left Cleveland was the first day it broke 50. In June. Still had on heavier coats. Flew to Louisville and almost passed out from the heat and humidity when they opened the plane door. Was like 90 of both. The difference a few miles can make.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#204541 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Heterosexual pedos molest girls.
Homosexual pedos molest boys.
There's a difference.
There's only a difference for those that conform to the meaning systems that say there is.

Most pedophiles do not conform to that.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#204542 Jan 18, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is a sin. The Bible calls it an abomination. And it’s in the Bible my friend. The Word of God stands against it. We Christians are not in the business of promoting sin as if it’s perfectly alright with God. John the Baptist was beheaded because he told the King he could not marry his brothers wife.
What about the other sins? Homosexuality comes up often today because the Homosexuals in our society want to redefine marriage. Something I personally stand against. No one is trying to redefine drunkenness or theft.
“But truthfully I don't like how it makes Christians look when people go around saying God is sending natural disasters because of gay marriage. There is nothing biblical to suggest it.”
Do you remember the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? These cities were destroyed by God because of their unrighteousness. So yes it is in the Bible and the word “Sodomy,” is a direct derivative from the city of Sodom.
My rant was about California. Just connect the dots. Drought, enormous fires, earthquakes, devastated economics for State Government, prone to hurricanes, massive mudslides. It also happens to be a liberal State with Gay Marriage made legal.
The situation in California is not ever going to turn around. Unless the people of California turn away from their unrighteousness. You don’t have to take my word for it. Just keep an eye on California for the next three years and see for yourself.
Ah, another cherry picking Christian who only uses the parts of the bible that supports his hatred.

You wonder why people are atheists?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204543 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True? No he wasn't, well not totally.
Here's what was false that Catch wrote:
"There's no point in trying to defend yourself."
"you have expressed views that are homophobic"
"You have called black kids monkeys (because they're black)"
"You've also shown us that you think it's cool--makes you a real American and all that."
"There's no way your kids don't know the person you are."
That's pretty much everything he said. None of it is true.
What he wrote that is true:
"you have admitted to bigotry"
"and you relish in demeaning women and homosexuals in your jokes"
It's fun. Sue me.
Have you ever recorded your voice?

Does it sound like you when you play it back?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204545 Jan 18, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I think Cruz has integrity. Its something, the man spoke for almost a day and this is what is remembered. I've listened to his father too. Very sharp man. Considering where they come from and the direction we as a nation are moving I like the insight many here may not have. A few days ago Cruz called out the hypocrisy of a Hollywood lib that makes money off of violent movies crying about guns. Considering most of these folks have armed (evil guns) agents protecting them 24/7 its good.
http://www.onenewspage.com/n/US/7509auow1/Ted...
Two school shootings in two days.

A man shot for texting in a movie theatre.

Those are headlines. Look at any local city news and see the havoc that guns cause.

Are you really defending the right for dumbasses to own guns?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#204546 Jan 18, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I'm good here River. You do know of course and I say this very calmly I couldn't disagree more. Many schools of thought on eschatology and its not something I've spent much time on. I do think Israel is the key and everyone in a position of leadership is put in place by God. Its no mistake the potus we have at this time you know. Its also no mistake that right now just about anyone that stands for the gospel is accused of hate. On the Muppets I saw this at the cinema when I was about 7. Think it was the late 70s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jSFLZ-MzIhMXX
I drove through a huge rainbow once. It was at Bird Road and the Palmetto in Miami. Was driving west to get on the Palmetto and you could see it a good ways away. The end was across the highway and the northbound entrance ramp, and arched westward. Really big and beautiful. Got there and all I could see was water spray and cars whizzing by, with just a touch of color in the mist. Looked kind of shitty, really, and not a bit of gold.

Rainbows look better from a distance. And the good places are always somewhere over and beyond it.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204547 Jan 18, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I drove through a huge rainbow once. It was at Bird Road and the Palmetto in Miami. Was driving west to get on the Palmetto and you could see it a good ways away. The end was across the highway and the northbound entrance ramp, and arched westward. Really big and beautiful. Got there and all I could see was water spray and cars whizzing by, with just a touch of color in the mist. Looked kind of shitty, really, and not a bit of gold.
Rainbows look better from a distance. And the good places are always somewhere over and beyond it.
Rainbows are always at a distance, Dave.

Just keep looking at the horizon. The vanishing point is always one step away.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#204548 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, there are no degrees of pedophilia.
There's only one: pedophilia.
Anyone that commits that act should either have their nuts removed or their pussy sewed shut.
No if, ands or buts about it.
It's a pathetic crime that deserves the harshest of punishments.
My point was that straight men don't molest boys, gay men do.
In turn, gay men don't molest girls, straight men do.
Your definitions of "straight" and "gay" are subjective, but you're using them as if they are objective.

You advocate for genital mutilation as punishment for crimes committed by people who are mentally disturbed, many of whom were victims of the same crime they committed.

I won't try to convince you to change or anything. I'm just making observations.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204549 Jan 18, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Sexual orientation, as you experience it, is a cultural construct.
The construct you understand is several decades out of date.
To truly understand human sexuality, you'd have to step outside of cultural constructs to look at human universals, and examine how cultural meaning systems influence how people conceptualize sexuality.
People inside a culture do not have to conform to the subjective meaning systems of that culture. A straight man could have sex with other men without ever identifying as a homosexual or bisexual. Sexual behavior and orientation and identity are not necessarily linked.
Of course it's a cultural construct. Everything we know is a cultural construct, even gender.

What's your point?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204550 Jan 18, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
There's only a difference for those that conform to the meaning systems that say there is.
Most pedophiles do not conform to that.
Hmmm...

Because they're sick in the head?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204551 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Have you ever recorded your voice?
Does it sound like you when you play it back?
That was a beautiful red herring.

Probably the best I've seen yet.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204552 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Two school shootings in two days.
A man shot for texting in a movie theatre.
Those are headlines. Look at any local city news and see the havoc that guns cause.
Are you really defending the right for dumbasses to own guns?
Why you gotta call me that?!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#204553 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Rainbows are always at a distance, Dave.
Just keep looking at the horizon. The vanishing point is always one step away.
No, sweet, rainbows tend to stay put. Like I said, I was in one. You could discern the arch going up and away. It was big. I saw the end several blocks away and where it hit exactly, and then drove into it. There was no moving of it. It was also running E-W.

I've seen little ones, just a few inches in length, form from a fence to the ground. There were fixed points to them. Even saw a double rainbow in NM. Got pictures of that one.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#204554 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I disagree.
Although I also find both to be abhorrent, they are definitely about sex.
Remove the sex factor and all you have is kidnapping...
It is only "about" sex because it is ALL about control.

The last thing someone would consent to after being kidnapped is sex. To exert the most control over someone, you take what they are least willing to give.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,404,159
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr Brian_G 311,489
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 12 hr litesong 9,989
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 18 hr NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 23 Trojan 32,307
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web