Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 9,789)

Showing posts 195,761 - 195,780 of216,758
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

lightbeamrider wrote:
Others return [to the church] because of the futility of living Godless lives. They are seeking answers far beyond the nihilism which is a natural consequence of unbelief for many.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Sorry, but since you feel so comfortable telling me how empty and futile my godless life seems to you, I feel like I should share with you how your life looks to me.
Was not addressing you as indicated above.
Of the two of us, you're the nihilist - the one who sees this life as barren,desolate and hopeless.
As an unbeliever you are correct. Even the writer of Ecclesiastes came to similar conclusions.
You're the one who sees man as evil and failed (that was you, wasn't it?).
Knew that at 20. Human history says it all.
You're the one who can't find meaning in life if there is no god.
There is none.
You're the one that can't find a reason to be good unless there's reward and punishment involved.
Not so. Was raised to do good for others. That was expected.
You're banking on the existence of a god that exists to be worshiped, and that you believe created you to do that for it. How futile is that? How pointless an existence is it eternally praising a god?
Love of God can be a powerful motivation for many including me.
And praised for what? Existing?
Yup.
Being lucky enough to find itself a god? It should be grateful and humble, not pompous. It should be dedicating its existence to being of service to all lesser creatures rather than sorting them out according to which will praise it.
Man goes his own way and God allows. Then man blames God for the things he brings on himself by believing he knows better than God.
As for me feeling nihilistic, you don't understand us at all. My life never felt less artificial than when I was near the end of my Christian walk and realized that there was no god - that I had been lied to, My life as an unbeliever has been the authentic and fulfilling one.
No reason not to believe you. Only note your time will expire. Your little happy world can be flipped to disaster in a heartbeat.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm glad that you've FINALLY admitted that you think the WBC represents Christianity to you. That only took like a year to drag out of you.
LOL. It's the friggin' Twilight Zone in here.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Can you not see the inherent bigotry that will come from that stereotype? You've picked one of the most vile Christian churches out there and used it to label all of Christianity.
I don't label Christianity with the WBC. I say that they are typical of Christian homophobia. So are Duckman, Canada man, Clearwater and KiMare, Who remembers the German Adam? They all get their opinions from the same source, and it isn't secular humanism.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I try to explain to you that Christianity is divorced from "God hates fags" but you refuse to listen.
No, I refuse to agree.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Back in March, you pounced all over your "fact" that churches spent only 6% on charity. So what? You never took into account what percentage is spent on overhead. That church I'm talking about probably didn't less than 6% on charity, it just couldn't afford it.
I rest my case.

Why should the American taxpayer subsidize these franchises with tax exempt status as if they were charities?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
Hey HL, you do realize that was Dave Nelson posting, no?
I have been laughing a lot this afternoon. Right now I'm picturing David Bowie singing "Clown control to Mao Tse Tung" to a Cadet Nelson floating in zero gravity.

"Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world"

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

Eagle 12 wrote:
I dedicate this song to all the Gold Star Moms & Dads out there.
"God Bless America"
While the storm clouds gather
Far across the sea
Let us swear allegiance
To a land that's free
Let us all be grateful
For a land so fair
Let us raise our voices
In a solemn prayer
God bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her,
Through the night with the light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam,
God bless America,
My home sweet home.
God bless America,
My home sweet home.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam,
God bless America,
My home sweet home.
God bless America,
My home sweet home.
http://youtu.be/vJNqep77vBw

One of the best renditions of that song ever.

Martina McBride.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

Catcher1 wrote:
You sound much like the renegade Episcopal parishes. The pain and suffering of the homosexual parishioners, who realized they were no longer welcome in the parish where they had worshiped with their friends and neighbors for many years, is indescribable. I have been a percipient witness to their pain. And the pastor and the vicars were very gentle and loving and careful with language when they made the announcement of their liturgical determinations. No hate expressed, just a solemn announcement. It's God's will.

Disgusting. You are utterly blind to the harm your views cause to people, regardless of how you couch your words.
Nice post, amigo. Thanks for sharing what you can see from your uncommon vantage point. The pain that this church causes doesn't seem to be of much concern to it or its adherents.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

<quoted text>
I missed the beginning of the woe-is-you meme. Who said what to whom? It wasn't a "Whoa is you," was it?
It's my boilerplate response to Clearwater's gloomy, pessimistic, misanthropic posts.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

<quoted text>

As for supporting the troops. well, that Walter Reed thing was certainly a black eye. Maybe by support they meant with bumper stickers.
If they had called Catcher in the beginning, he would have nipped it in the bud. After getting them compensated he would have taken 3/4 of the compensation for himself. Its only fair for all the "hard work".

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Very enlightening.
What would your god to to somebody that he hates if he could hate that is worse than keeping them conscious forever to suffer excruciating pain? I don't really care what other people call the willingness to do that to somebody. That defines hate orders of magnitude beyond anything I have ever experienced. I'm imagining having that power when I was in third grade, and hating somebody enough to do that to them when I was capable of that degree of hatred. But I would have forgiven them by now, or if not by now, certainly by a hundred years from now - a thousand tops.
It's pretty futile for you to try to define the actions ascribed to your god as anything less than hatred simply by saying that it's not hatred. Do you expect others to just say, "Oh.My bad," or to see you as somebody so morally compromised by his religious training that he can't tell love from hate?
I expect others to say, "Oh, I didn't know that about God" instead of ranting ignorance of Christianity and anti-Christian rhetoric.

Proverbs says there are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him, homosexuality or homosexuals isn't one of them:

"haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."

You must understand that while I think sins are real (including extra-martial sex, be it hetero- or homo-), I do not aspire to hatred or persecution of gay people and I find it detestable what churches like the WBC do.

I guaran-damn-tee you that I'd be standing side by side with you, tearing up their "God hates fags" signs and giving them a kick ass education of what the Bible actually says and what God actually hates.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

wilderide wrote:
Hello everybody! Just stopping by to see what's going on. I wanted to pass along a book I am reading that I've found quite interesting: "A Manual for Creating Atheists" by Peter Boghossian. One of the points he makes that I found as compelling as it is obvious: faith is not a reliable epistemology.
Just thought I'd share.:)
Dude! Please hang around awhile if you have the time.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

Just Think wrote:
Yes, we're all stunned that cherry picking Christians are hypocritical in the application of their hatred.
Stunned, I say!
Compared to people that are honest in their hated, yes?

o.O

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

This is news to you? We've been discussing it for a few days now.
"We" as in "not RR', man.

I haven't noticed.
Maybe because a major religion that they pay more attention to than its bible leads the way for them.
Good point.

Not enough Christians pay enough attention to the Bible.

And too many of them are gossip queens.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound much like the renegade Episcopal parishes.
The pain and suffering of the homosexual parishioners, who realized they were no longer welcome in the parish where they had worshiped with their friends and neighbors for many years, is indescribable. I have been a percipient witness to their pain. And the pastor and the vicars were very gentle and loving and careful with language when they made the announcement of their liturgical determinations. No hate expressed, just a solemn announcement. It's God's will.
Disgusting.
You are utterly blind to the harm your views cause to people, regardless of how you couch your words.
Honestly, have you played devils advocate and thought how you would help the Vicars? The Church has rules and bylaws. How can the church leaders relate with God when they have "dirty hands" for harboring the people who are homo and do not want to repent of it or abstain? Why don't all the homo people have their own homo only Churchs, like the bars do? Gods word cant be changed or diluted because homos are coming out and trying to be accepted more in the main stream. Anyone who does not agree with Gods word is only fooling himself if they are trying to gain the benefits of God, namely salvation, while participating in what God says is unnatural and abominable.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

<quoted text>
Dude! Please hang around awhile if you have the time.
Well, I'm probably checking out early today as I'm travelling this weekend...but I'll check back in Tues probably.

So have you guys solved all the worlds problems yet?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I can't understand why a Christian would want to attack you, your wife or anything of of yours simply because your beliefs differ from theirs.
Me neither. I also can't understand why a god would torture me for the same things.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm not unwilling to [to see your religion through the eyes of a scapegoated outsider], I've just never considered it.
OK. I suppose that I should be happy for that. But what I am actually thinking is "Why not? What have you been waiting for?"
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I've had extensive conversations with Kait the Witch about her attack from Christians and it bothers me tremendously. I wish I could make it stop. I wish there was more I could do.
Once again, I'm pleased to read that, but stunned that you are at a loss to understand how that happened, or how the church's teaching contributed to that.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect others to say, "Oh, I didn't know that about God" instead of ranting ignorance of Christianity and anti-Christian rhetoric.
Proverbs says there are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him, homosexuality or homosexuals isn't one of them:
"haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."
You must understand that while I think sins are real (including extra-martial sex, be it hetero- or homo-), I do not aspire to hatred or persecution of gay people and I find it detestable what churches like the WBC do.
I guaran-damn-tee you that I'd be standing side by side with you, tearing up their "God hates fags" signs and giving them a kick ass education of what the Bible actually says and what God actually hates.
Its lying tongue. You cant say you love God and pray to him while unrepentantly sinning. Homo people want to have the benefit while in abject disobedience.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied:“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That's about as direct and succinct as one can get. More uptight and judgmental Christians prefer Paul and/or the Old Testament of course.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

LOL. It's the friggin' Twilight Zone in here.
Which episode?
I don't label Christianity with the WBC. I say that they are typical of Christian homophobia.
OK. I'm gonna believe you on this. You seem sincere about it, so I'll concede.

But it seems like you label 'the church' with the WBC. In that context, is it just about homophobia?
So are Duckman, Canada man, Clearwater and KiMare, Who remembers the German Adam? They all get their opinions from the same source, and it isn't secular humanism.
I don't see homophobia in Phil Robertson or Clearwater, can't speak for Ki. Adam is definitely a homophobe.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

There's so much ripe fruit in here today. I wish I didn't have a headache.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A heart that devises wicked schemes. This is exactly what the beleaguered homo people are doing. Imagine all the adulterers or nambla people start doing what the homo people are doing by trying to make their unrepentant sin acceptable and comingle it with the others . Devising ways to force acceptance with ltigation and other forms of rebellion. The litigation itself a sin and embarrassment as scripture says not to go to the worlds courts with church matters between brothers

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 195,761 - 195,780 of216,758
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min RoxLo 1,033,514
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min NoahRS 303,206
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 39 min Fight On 26,092
Syracuse basketball: Jim Boeheim tells ESPN Tyl... Apr 14 Lenox Da Kid 2
loan offer (Jun '13) Apr 14 Bryan Cranston 81
Burke Calls Shots With The Best (Feb '08) Apr 12 maryann 19
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Apr 12 plenty 49
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••