Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204032 Jan 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect others to say, "Oh, I didn't know that about God" instead of ranting ignorance of Christianity and anti-Christian rhetoric.
Proverbs says there are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him, homosexuality or homosexuals isn't one of them:
"haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."
You must understand that while I think sins are real (including extra-martial sex, be it hetero- or homo-), I do not aspire to hatred or persecution of gay people and I find it detestable what churches like the WBC do.
I guaran-damn-tee you that I'd be standing side by side with you, tearing up their "God hates fags" signs and giving them a kick ass education of what the Bible actually says and what God actually hates.
A heart that devises wicked schemes. This is exactly what the beleaguered homo people are doing. Imagine all the adulterers or nambla people start doing what the homo people are doing by trying to make their unrepentant sin acceptable and comingle it with the others . Devising ways to force acceptance with ltigation and other forms of rebellion. The litigation itself a sin and embarrassment as scripture says not to go to the worlds courts with church matters between brothers

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#204033 Jan 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect others to say, "Oh, I didn't know that about God" instead of ranting ignorance of Christianity and anti-Christian rhetoric.
Proverbs says there are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him, homosexuality or homosexuals isn't one of them:
"haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."
You must understand that while I think sins are real (including extra-martial sex, be it hetero- or homo-), I do not aspire to hatred or persecution of gay people and I find it detestable what churches like the WBC do.
I guaran-damn-tee you that I'd be standing side by side with you, tearing up their "God hates fags" signs and giving them a kick ass education of what the Bible actually says and what God actually hates.
So let gays marry.

That'll solve the whole "extra-marital" thingy.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#204034 Jan 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Which episode?
<quoted text>
OK. I'm gonna believe you on this. You seem sincere about it, so I'll concede.
But it seems like you label 'the church' with the WBC. In that context, is it just about homophobia?
<quoted text>
I don't see homophobia in Phil Robertson or Clearwater, can't speak for Ki. Adam is definitely a homophobe.
Expressing the belief that homosexuality is immoral is an unreasonable prejudice that causes harm.

A person who doesn't care that it causes harm, or one who won't accept that it does, who goes ahead and expresses those beliefs openly, to the detriment of society, is a bigot.

It doesn't matter if you or anyone else believes that these expressions are extremely harmful, because they are. Your failure to see the effect does not mean there isn't one. You've all been told, so you don't have a valid excuse. Faith is not an excuse.

Expressing the belief that homosexuality is immoral, is the moral failure, not homosexuality.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204035 Jan 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So what. They've let these people into their church for who knows how long and now, all of a sudden, kick them out? That's wrong. That's bullshit. I'd say those pastor's HAD BETTER kick out anyone in those churches that are having any kind of extra-marital sex, are drunks, liars, thieves, etc. All sin is equal in the eyes of God and those pastors have no right to judge those people.
wrong , theres a difference. they should tolerate no "sin in the camp" The other sinners you talk about . which is many, are not trying to make what they do ok and acceptable. No man mocks God. Everyone will sow and reap.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204036 Jan 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I rest my case.
Why should the American taxpayer subsidize these franchises with tax exempt status as if they were charities?
Because they don't charge for their services, be it regular church, counseling, community activities, whatever.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204037 Jan 17, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So let gays marry.
subverted idea. And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they two shall be one flesh?

Homo people are precluded.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#204038 Jan 17, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So let gays marry.
The problem with that, at least for churches and temples of the Abrahamic religions, is that their holy texts forbid it. Of course they are all free to ignore whatever parts of said texts they prefer, and do what they want anyway, as they do with so many other things. But if they stick with what those texts say, and people realize such prohibitions are irrational, it makes the holy texts look irrational. So they are kinda screwed either way. So IMHO, you might as well cherry-pick in the direction of social progress. They did that for slavery, womens' suffrage, and interracial marriage after all. Why should homosexuality be any different?

San Francisco

#204039 Jan 17, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> wrong , theres a difference. they should tolerate no "sin in the camp" The other sinners you talk about . which is many, are not trying to make what they do ok and acceptable. No man mocks God. Everyone will sow and reap.
Yeah, because Jesus never hung out with sinners or anything.

Luke 6:37 - Jesus said "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Why do so many self-described Christians ignore the very basic things Jesus said?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204041 Jan 17, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Honestly, have you played devils advocate and thought how you would help the Vicars? The Church has rules and bylaws. How can the church leaders relate with God when they have "dirty hands" for harboring the people who are homo and do not want to repent of it or abstain? Why don't all the homo people have their own homo only Churchs, like the bars do? Gods word cant be changed or diluted because homos are coming out and trying to be accepted more in the main stream. Anyone who does not agree with Gods word is only fooling himself if they are trying to gain the benefits of God, namely salvation, while participating in what God says is unnatural and abominable.
Fred Phelps? Is that you?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204042 Jan 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Nice post, amigo. Thanks for sharing what you can see from your uncommon vantage point. The pain that this church causes doesn't seem to be of much concern to it or its adherents.
The Church is doing whats right according to God. Perhaps Catcher thinks he can just change Gods word as "times change" just like he thinks its ok to change the Constitution. Btw adherents know how weak and mortal they are.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204043 Jan 17, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> wrong , theres a difference. they should tolerate no "sin in the camp" The other sinners you talk about . which is many, are not trying to make what they do ok and acceptable. No man mocks God. Everyone will sow and reap.
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No man mocks God.
I can teach them how if they want.

“Merry Yuletide”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#204044 Jan 17, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"They aren't "Real Christians" they are atheists !" - A "Real Christian"
<face palm>
No True Scotsmen. Get your kilt and sporran out.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#204045 Jan 17, 2014
Me neither. I also can't understand why a god would torture me for the same things.

Probably because you don't understand that God doesn't send you to Hell, you send yourself there.

God lets you choose their destination. Look how many hate God, mock Him, ignore Him and want nothing to do with Him.

They're only getting what they want.
OK. I suppose that I should be happy for that. But what I am actually thinking is "Why not? What have you been waiting for?"
I can't be waiting for something I haven't even considered...

But this might be an interesting experiment.

Let me see life through your eyes, gradually of course. your comments about being afraid of retaliation from the JW's was eye opening in that respect.
Once again, I'm pleased to read that, but stunned that you are at a loss to understand how that happened, or how the church's teaching contributed to that.
See, this is where we mess up. You say the church, as in Christian doctrine. I say A church, as in a Biblically faulty pastor creating a Biblically false congregation. The WBC stands out on that one.

I can't see that Christian doctrine itself is responsible for creating hate-filled people. I CAN see a vocally powerful and persuasive person brainwashing his "flock", though.

Off topic question; What would be a better term for "verbally powerful"?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204046 Jan 17, 2014
.Balance that with ....Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap and ..And working together with Him, we also urge you not to receive the grace of God in vain--

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, because Jesus never hung out with sinners or anything.
Luke 6:37 - Jesus said "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Why do so many self-described Christians ignore the very basic things Jesus said?

San Francisco

#204047 Jan 17, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps Catcher thinks he can just change Gods word as "times change".
Old Testament

New Testament

'Nuff said.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#204048 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied:“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
That's about as direct and succinct as one can get. More uptight and judgmental Christians prefer Paul and/or the Old Testament of course.
Of course. I agree.

Hypocritical Christians will cite Leviticus so they can hate homosexuals but they'll conveniently ignore all the other Levite laws.

That shit doth driveth me nuts.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#204050 Jan 17, 2014
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/w...

That looks like things can get serious there this summer.

Almost 40 million people suck up a lot of water in a hurry.

Water is short everywhere. Look at south Florida and the TX/LA coast.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#204051 Jan 17, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Its lying tongue. You cant say you love God and pray to him while unrepentantly sinning. Homo people want to have the benefit while in abject disobedience.
That only applies to homosexual Christians.

God will judge their eternity, not us.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins, not in spite of them.

“Merry Yuletide”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#204052 Jan 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Take it up with Tony Abott thewanker.
You mean Mr Abscess, PM?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204053 Jan 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied:“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
That's about as direct and succinct as one can get. More uptight and judgmental Christians prefer Paul and/or the Old Testament of course.
Theres a problem. God clearly says homo activity is sin. You cant Love God and keep sinning. I know this is a tough one for someone who is homo but, if you loved God you just wouldn't do . Atheism is the default position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min lmao 1,155,982
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin For Life 28,470
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Cpexker1313 307,092
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 7 hr litesong 2,740
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 13 hr best bet 2
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 Thu ivyawe 1
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Thu Bently 201,187
More from around the web