Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Richardfs

Australia

#203743 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
And Christianity is still flourishing today as the religion with the world's most adherents.
And that number is rising as it has been for 2,000 years.
LOL
All 40,000+ versions of it.

Tell me if there is but one true god how come there so many different versions?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203744 Jan 16, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
All 40,000+ versions of it.
Tell me if there is but one true god how come there so many different versions?
All you kids just alike?

Are all your siblings just alike?

Every fingerprint exactly the same?

Collect 40,000 snowflakes then explain why each one is shaped differently?

Every river shaped exactly the same way? And flow the same amount of water each day?

Do all trees have the same exact count of leaves or needles?

If automobiles are such a great way to travel why are there so many different variations?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#203745 Jan 16, 2014

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203746 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to learn to read.
Nobody is leaving California. A number of parishes are leaving the Episcopal Church and morphing into the Anglican Church, because the Episcopal Church (the national church) has become more tolerant of homosexuals, and is allowing homosexuals to be pastors.
Google the issue. You'll find all the information you need.
Big bucks in the litigations, by the way.
"A number of parishes"......

What's the number?

Why didn't you list the church's name?

“going back”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#203747 Jan 16, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> My nous is limited but do you agree with this, The (Socratic method)."I know nothing but the facts of my ignorance", Employee yourself improving by other men writings. So that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard.Buddha quotes, "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if i said it unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
Yes, i do. Just as i do in a higher power. GOD! i really never get what this chat room ever gets, I see faith in nothing. I am just saying, Move on to improving mankind and Government, health care, family. Everything else will fall into place. Have a good day.My friend.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203748 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I have defined what I mean by "the church" several times on this thread alone, and the definition explicitly contradicts your words above. I realize how pointless it is to do it again for your benefit, but giving three examples from the last two months from threads you participate on virtually daily will illustrate nicely how difficult it is to teach you, and why I usually just give up:
The church is the sum of a variety of abstract and concrete things including people, buildings, books, and an ideology - a history, a mythology, rituals, a doctrine, a tradition, a set of methods, a jargon, a metaphysical system, an epistemic system, and an ethical system.[Tuesday Jan 7]
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
"the church, by which I mean an abstraction that transcends individual people and buildings, and includes the traditions, beliefs, values and methods that have persisted over centuries as people and buildings have come and gone." [Nov 28, 2013]
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
"As I use the term, "the church" means more than "the churches." It is the set of institutions, values, traditions and the like that transcends the individual buildings and congregants." [Sep 16, 2013]
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
I could undoubtedly find a dozen more from those two threads. Here's one addressed to you from last May at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... which actually contains two links of others defining the church as well as my own definition.
Here's another from last February at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
This goes on and on and on and on and on and ...
I know what YOU mean by "the church". But I'm telling you that there is no "the church", no one Christian doctrine.

Every church will teach slightly (or sometimes severely, as in WBC) than the next.

Here, this is a basic Christian doctrine test.

Don't cheat, see how you do.

http://carm.org/theological-test

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#203749 Jan 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:

Why? Because he is not your jesus?
Hell you jesus is not the original so why the downer on someone else’s view?
A’hh I get it, religion, right?

New Age asks:

How is one to determine the "original Jesus"?

Who makes that decision?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203750 Jan 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
People don't drink enough water in TV shows and movies.
It sets a bad example for America's children.
Huh. Never thought of that.

You know what they always seem to do though? Get the actors wet. lol

That's a common phrase from my conspiracy theorist uncle: "Gotta get the actors wet...."

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#203751 Jan 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
People don't drink enough water in TV shows and movies.
It sets a bad example for America's children.
I drank a pint of paint thinner once.

But I did it in private, so as not to influence anyone.

One night in Key West we had drunk beer for about 8 hours and the bar ran out.

We had drunk and pissed so much, it was about a straight-through run for the beer.

So we started pissin' back into the glasses and drinking that.

Couldn't really tell much difference.

Location hidden

#203752 Jan 16, 2014
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, i do. Just as i do in a higher power. GOD! i really never get what this chat room ever gets, I see faith in nothing. I am just saying, Move on to improving mankind and Government, health care, family. Everything else will fall into place. Have a good day.My friend.
What happened to movinon08?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203753 Jan 16, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
Erm, I've lived in the US for 30-some years. My daughter was born here.
Oh. Then out of respect, I'll revisit your post.
She's an atheist, too - nothing to do with me, she came up with it all by herself.
I'm sure she did....

Location hidden

#203754 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Huh. Never thought of that.
Try it sometime. Really, it's not that bad.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203755 Jan 16, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
May I put up a Satanist statue next to the Christian one on the front lawn of the Courthouse?
You can try.

No guarantees though.
May I have my Legal Tender without religious mottoes on?
No.

All legal American currency has the national motto on it.
May my daughter have the Pledge of Allegiance read at her without a spurious deity invoked?
Sure. When reciting the Pledge, she can replace "Under God" with "under Zod" for all I care.

She just can't do it in public.
May the US Government start each workday with an Imam saying "Allahu Akhbar"?
I don't see why not.

Unless they don't like getting shot at, of course.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#203757 Jan 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
That's the nation we are.
You may kiss our asses.
As I thought.

Preferential treatment.

“going back”

Location hidden

#203758 Jan 16, 2014
When i read what people write on this sight it really makes me want to push for spiritual education, I am not even claiming to be smart but, i am no dummy! I am sure you all are very smart, only not in the truth. I myself have no faith in Government, Church community, health care and it is only the one real personal experience, in what i am sure is the Holy spirit or Ghost that i am able to keep faith. I can not say what he looks like, i can only feel. I feel peace in my soul, My head and heart are very alone and Fear not, I just want to feel peace on earth. As i know it will be in Heaven. I am praying for unity, i am 48 years old, i have never felt anything true in my life, Only this faith in God.I am not preaching, i suppose you are like many religious people on this site, searching for unity and faith. If not this sight would be gone. We should agree on that. We all believe in something.that is what he wants, Trust in Him or it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203759 Jan 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Try it sometime. Really, it's not that bad.
I don't know.....

I don't think I could.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#203760 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm sure she did....
I very carefully did NOT try to indoctrinate her into any system of thought.

I did, however, try to teach her to think. Science and logic, evidence - stuff like that.

She was Wiccan Lite for a while. I had no objection.

She became atheist all on her own, and I've rarely been prouder.

Saguache, CO

#203761 Jan 16, 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/showbiz/tv/happ...

CNN does a lot of these things. Entertainers then and now.

Brings back lots of memories, right?

Having mass media entertainers occupy so much of your time and memories is something new.

Think how much of your life, and thinking, was shaped by them.

Sitting in front of the tube getting instructed. Parents used to make their kids go out and play and experience real life.

Now they are second and third generation instructees of the tube.

The ability to discern between truth and programming has disappeared.

As the twig is bent, the knothead is formed.

“going back”

Location hidden

#203762 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm sure she did....
How old is she, i am sorry when you say Atheist, i am not sure for real what that means. I am sure was raised well by her Father, I am also sure she was taught to be an Atheist from you.That is why i am asking does it mean what i am not a believer of the evil one called Satan, or is it you believe in the truth i do fear my faith in God. My good. This is another reason i believe faith should be taught in school. It was banned when i was in elementary school. I remember not much in life that is true, but that i remember as something that is real, I am figuring out history from My own facts and truth, like Kennedy`s and Hitler martin Luther king, anything. I am very smart about culture, and have been in relationship with a Persian for 26 years, and married to a Hispanic for 9 years

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#203763 Jan 16, 2014
movinon09 wrote:
When i read what people write on this sight it really makes me want to push for spiritual education, I am not even claiming to be smart but, i am no dummy! I am sure you all are very smart, only not in the truth. I myself have no faith in Government, Church community, health care and it is only the one real personal experience, in what i am sure is the Holy spirit or Ghost that i am able to keep faith. I can not say what he looks like, i can only feel. I feel peace in my soul, My head and heart are very alone and Fear not, I just want to feel peace on earth. As i know it will be in Heaven. I am praying for unity, i am 48 years old, i have never felt anything true in my life, Only this faith in God.I am not preaching, i suppose you are like many religious people on this site, searching for unity and faith. If not this sight would be gone. We should agree on that. We all believe in something.that is what he wants, Trust in Him or it.
If you can't say what he looks like, how do you know its a he?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min welfarestate 1,567,328
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 26 min weaponX 315,347
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 33 min ThisPhartzz 33,448
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 11,298
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web