Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203439 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. my thoughts expressed so well. Thank you ..
.. like yourself, I was amazed that believers don't latch onto my claims concerning the conscious since it can easily be interpreted as a Divine gift ..
.. yes, imprinting is very important in establishing a moral code ..
.. sociopaths do not feel any kind of remorse or sympathy towards other human beings, they are void of a conscious. Is a sociopath normal? I think not. Therefore, the conscious is the genetic default position ..
Actually being a sociopath would be the more arguable position to be the default state. We learn through love, experience, socialization, etc to care about other people than ourselves. A child's natural instinct is to fulfill their needs. Empathy is learned
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203440 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, no!!!!!!!!!!
Go back to school.
Please.
Dude, Buck and RR my prove to be formidable.

Location hidden

#203441 Jan 15, 2014
Edit

There also is a huge range between sociopath and a completely moral person who feels guilty any time they violate the smallest of their moral principles.

And none of the possibilities are inherent. Would someone in a death squad in Uganda be beheading people by the thousands if raised in a different environment? Would a Grand Wizard of the KKK still feel the same if raised differently?

Of course not. Just as love is learned, so is hate. Just as empathy is learned, so is apathy. Morality Dino more inherent than education. What you teach someone has a lot to do with the type of person they will become

Location hidden

#203442 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>uhhh....ok. Did we disagree anywhere in here?
In your first sentence you refer to an innate conscience, which we may or may not adhere to. i asserted the same, in different words.
I think I said morality is learned. I think you said morality is learned.
Alrighty then. Got that settled. Next!
;)
You said you agreed that right and wrong were default human conditions. I thought you were saying once someone learns right from wrong then repentance would be natural. That is where I disagreed.

If you agree that morality AND remorse are both learned then we are in agreement

I may not have understood your position

Location hidden

#203443 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, right? >head-scratching< I guess that's why this is amusing,'cos you just never know which direction they're going to pull next...
<quoted text>There it is.
This is then where we disagree

Having a conscience is not a default position. There is nothing default about it. It is learned

If anything, lacking empathy would be the default position. Although I find it all to be learned. It could only be argued apathy is default as a blank slate so-to-speak needs to learn to care. But in reality, both positions are learned. Especially having a conscience

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203444 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, really?
Anybody here remember who it was that called black people "monkeys"?
I do.
Here are a couple of clues: It was a high school dropout from Riverside.
Yes, I know. I admit that.

That's why I called her post eye-opening. I've never considered it that way.

It's a learning curve, Catch. You should try it. You need a lesson in tolerance.
Richardfs

Australia

#203445 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Actually, youre a fool if you think that criminal orgs. believe. Believers are obedient. A CINO is fooling himself. There are various reasons for the moniker.
Really I bet they think they believe in god just as much as you do. Who are you to say different.

And you are right "Believers are obedient.":-
"Go and kill those people over there. Sir, yes sir!"
Richardfs

Australia

#203446 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You claim there are 40k sects of Christianity. Some crazed people burned witchs, in violation of Christianity. You attempt to color all Christianity as witch murderers. I suppose that's because of honesty.
I suggest you read the bibull:-
Exodus 22:18 (KJV)
18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

So you you can see these crimes were commited not inspite of christianity but because of it.

You know it realy is apparent you don't do any thinking at all.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203447 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He can pray all he wants to. Just not with a microphone in front of the student body. The kid broke the rules. I thought you were just ranting about the loss of school prayer that showed kids the respect for authority. The kid just shit all over authority by breaking their rules.
Young people love to revolt and defy laws that they view as against their unalienable rights.

Making prayer illegal at a school function is the ideal way to promote Faith in God.

Believe it or not it works in our favor.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203448 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume a school board or teacher has the right to overrule the State or the Constitution?
"No holding of this Court suggests that a school can persuade or compel a student to participate in a religious exercise.... The First Amendment's Religion Clauses mean that religious beliefs and religious expressions are too precious to be either proscribed or prescribed by the State."
-Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy
The courts did not rule that students can't pray. They only said that the government has no business composing a prayer for students to recite. That's all. Nothing more.
The kid can pray when and where he wants.
Yep except at school with a mic in front of the student body.

Location hidden

#203449 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
After Snowden its questionable. Your thoughts on him? I hope to pick this back up. 4 a.m. is soon to be here as its when I start now. Take care.
I honestly would have spend some time looking into him and even then it might be a rush to judgement. I have not stayed current with a lot of politics these days. I'm lucky to read a paper or catch a show as I have been choosing to spend my limited free time on other things. Part of me still likes staying current but part of me is tired of the apathy I feel when I do. The more I pay attention, the more I deal with the fact that I am at the mercy of a lot of people I don't line or trust. To me it's like watching two vultures pick over the bones. I start to wonder how much my soul profits from staying emershed in the muck. I used to care a lot more. That I no longer do because I realized it was a waste of energy is just depressing somehow.

LOL, sorry about the rant. I should have just said I don't know much about him!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203450 Jan 15, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
So you you can see these crimes were commited not inspite of christianity but because of it.
Atheist inherently believe they have a superior intellect.

Not surprising so does a jack*ss.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203451 Jan 15, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
What can be learned from a narcissistic bonehead who see’s himself as a genius?

A. Not much
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203452 Jan 15, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
A Christian would be erring greatly to obey Jewish law.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203453 Jan 15, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
See if you can find where you are at in this scripture.

Genesis 22:5

And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203454 Jan 15, 2014
Hint: We are abiding here with you.
Richardfs

Australia

#203455 Jan 15, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist inherently believe they have a superior intellect.
Not surprising so does a jack*ss.
Look we know you are a jackass, you do not have to tell us.

But you are half right, the difference is we know, not believe we are your interlectual and moral superior.

None of which has anything to do with my post which you carefully avoided responding to.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#203456 Jan 15, 2014
Sunny and 82 degrees here today--on the sand (water about 66 degrees F).

Beautiful full moon and starry sky tonight.

A little windy (Santa Ana winds, from the desert), but it made the tall palm trees look especially majestic.

We did have an earthquake (4.4), but it was at 1:35 a.m. so many of us slept through it and we didn't get stressed out.

Not too shabby.
Richardfs

Australia

#203457 Jan 15, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What can be learned from a narcissistic bonehead who see’s himself as a genius?
A. Not much
You really should not put yourself down like that.
ps. We know you are not a genius.
Richardfs

Australia

#203458 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A Christian would be erring greatly to obey Jewish law.
Errr. Its your book of myths not mine, but aren't the ten commandments in the OT so by your logic a christian would be erring greatly to obey them.

That probably explains little things like witch hunts and crusades.

In your own words you do very little thinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Julia 1,617,979
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 34,434
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr weapon X 318,260
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Oct 15 Heretic 11,649
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 30 Frankie Rizzo 201,871
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 29 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web