Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
194,921 - 194,940 of 224,539 Comments Last updated 12 min ago

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I was going off of your ludicrous questions...
"why should a Jew have to sit through a Christian prayer at a graduation ceremony? Why should a Protestant have to sit through a Catholic prayer? Why should an atheist have to sit through any of them?"
I thought I'd respond in kind.
I thought you knew that America is a Christian nation?
If one wants to be an atheist here, they have to accept that Christians are everywhere. God is everywhere.
Whining and pissing their pants ain't gonna change that.
Which America?

The United States of America is a nation that happens to contain Christians. So is China. Neither are Christian nations.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
To believe in Atheism requires one to believe in nothing.
And nothing can not heal a broken heart.
Good grief, its like you're auditioning to be the world's worst fortune cookie insert writer...

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that you, Francie?!
What the hell are you doing out of the kitchen?!
Having sex with Haley, Steve and Roger. Sorry, Stan, but you just can't keep up with my needs.

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that's what most American people want.
"Costner had apparently decided to recite the prayer in protest of his school district's decision to omit prayer at graduation ceremonies."
"You couldn't even hear him doing the prayer anymore because everybody was clapping and cheering,"
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3391963/
The Constitution does not prohibit that boy from reciting a prayer, it protects his right to.
Most American people want YOUR prayer in public places?

Good grief, you sound EXACTLY like a Muslim!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>For all practical purposes I'm a social liberal (and economic conservative).
And i don't believe "the people" in the 2nd Amendment suddenly undergoes a radical redefinition, and DOESN'T mean "the people".
Every person I ever heard say they are a social liberal and an economic conservative was really just a liberal.

A social liberal cannot be an economic conservative, because he has to expect other people to pay for his social liberalism.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that's what most American people want.
"Costner had apparently decided to recite the prayer in protest of his school district's decision to omit prayer at graduation ceremonies."
"You couldn't even hear him doing the prayer anymore because everybody was clapping and cheering,"
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3391963/
The Constitution does not prohibit that boy from reciting a prayer, it protects his right to.
The School District prohibited him from reciting a prayer. What a wonderful life lesson from the valedictorian of his class. "I shall show my classmates how to disrespect authority". He should have been denied his diploma.

The Constitution protects against illegal searches and seizure as well. That doesn't apply to students on school property. Students' lockers, backpacks and pockets can be searched at any time.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask your professional deck builder.
I'm only concerned about you, I want to make sure he used the proper fasteners for your Trex deck system.
Using improper fasteners, such as a sheetwall screws, will void your warranty.
what if theyre sheet ceiling screws? They will curl up on the sides.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel for you...
Thanks,Man

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA!!!
How the universe works .....without a god..... was the question.
Your link says nothing to that.
And I find it absolutely arrogant that some humans actually believe that we understand how the universe works when we can't even understand fully how our own solar system works, let alone all the billions of galaxies that comprise the universe....
What does "God" have to do with how the universe works?

What evidence do you have to support your conclusion?

I don't find arrogance has anything to do with what you say. Humans learn - and to learn it requires us to take action.

I wonder why your "God" never takes any action to correct people of their errors?

You argument is dwindling.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't believe Satan causes anything.
People do.
All Satan can do is influence, not cause.
Our actions are our own.
Influence is very much a part of causality.

Remember. Don't be so dichotomous.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

It is also equally incorrect to say nothing can heal a broken heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Eagle 12 wrote:
And nothing can not heal a broken heart.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Francine_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Having sex with Haley, Steve and Roger. Sorry, Stan, but you just can't keep up with my needs.
"Keeping up" was never a problem when I was with you....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

Francine_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Most American people want YOUR prayer in public places?
Good grief, you sound EXACTLY like a Muslim!
Yes...

I think...

Because all Muslims pray Christian prayers, right?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Francine_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to be introduced to...

The Buck Experience.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The School District prohibited him from reciting a prayer. What a wonderful life lesson from the valedictorian of his class. "I shall show my classmates how to disrespect authority". He should have been denied his diploma.
The Constitution protects against illegal searches and seizure as well. That doesn't apply to students on school property. Students' lockers, backpacks and pockets can be searched at any time.
Take away his diploma? For exercising a constitutionally protected right?

Clearly, you are all American....

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

HipGnosis wrote:
Good summation of the differing thought processes.
When I was first confronted with this dichotomy, I didn't recognize it. I was baffled. What a ludicrous proposition! I was certain they were just posing for effect. But after considerable discussion with multiple faithers repeating this same view, with little variation, I came to realize that there apparently were individuals who required, all the way thru adulthood, an external "Rulegiver/Enforcer" . They actually seem to need someone to restrain their murderous, larcenous impulses. More than that, it has to be an "all-powerful Deity", because, by God, society can't tell them what to do.
And as you say, since it seems that being self-absorbed goes hand-in-hand with these personality types, they assume, no, insist, that everyone else suffers from the same moral turpitude.
When I realized this, I changed my mind about Bibles and such. If this is all that restrains these people from unleashing their depravity upon society, I say, Print more Bibles, hand them out with every purchase of a Duck Dynasty t-shirt.
Thor bless the Gideon Society!
I think the phenomenon is caused by faith protection mechanisms of the mind. They need to believe they're better off having the Sky Daddy, so they project.

We're mostly all born with several psychological needs that vary in degree from person to person. Some people might have a stronger combination of needs that make them better candidates for one religion or another. I just don't think that religion is the only way to satisfy those needs, or even a good way.

You may not be completely serious here, but I just wanted to chime in.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> what if theyre sheet ceiling screws? They will curl up on the sides.
Use stainless or galvanized or ceramic coated screws with the square recess head and square bit.

Sheet metal or drywall screws will strip, break, and corrode.

A screw gun is nice if you have it. Otherwise, drill pilot holes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct.

That's a different question than whether the school can permit or encourage voluntary prayer and so forth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
He build Nazism on Aryanism, on the idea that the German people were the master race.
Correct. And Darwinism.

Hitler was anti-Christian. The only holdouts left on this matter are a few flapping magpies on the fringe of society.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2014

Judged:

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
What does "God" have to do with how the universe works?
What evidence do you have to support your conclusion?
I don't find arrogance has anything to do with what you say. Humans learn - and to learn it requires us to take action.
I wonder why your "God" never takes any action to correct people of their errors?
You argument is dwindling.
What evidence do you have that the universe works without God?

Hint:'nothing' isn't evidence...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••