Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#202193 Jan 12, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Is that why you have intercourse with corpses?
Natural selection at work.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#202194 Jan 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So the first amendment goes where ever the American is, and to a degree even on foreign soil (US Embassy).
So what?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#202195 Jan 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Since you are a Wallaby from down under. And a very poor student in world history. The Jews were unarmed as a people prior to their slaughter by the Nazi’s. Here in the United States we as a people are allowed to keep and bear arms against any threat foreign or domestic.

We take our freedom pretty serious. Our military Soldiers/Navy during WWII went into the Pacific war to protect your country from being slaughtered by the superior Japanese forces.

My country did that and your beautiful but sparsely populated country wouldn’t been able to hold Japan back. We paid for you freedom with our blood. Most of which was Christian/Judeo blood.

And you cocky bast*rds are talking down our right to be free and worship God as we please. We paid for your freedom as well as Europe’s. The least you could do is tell the truth about what is already written in history.
LMFAO!

Location hidden

#202196 Jan 12, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Correct. I am a US citizen.

Eagle seems to be a citizen of LaLaLand. He is in error of US law as much as the Bible.

It seems to be the Christian thing to do.
Why correct him, that was amusing.

Location hidden

#202197 Jan 12, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Thanks.

That sums up the essence and mentality of Christianity quite nicely.
It certainly does.

Hi scar :-D

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#202198 Jan 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The Sherman was designed to fit into planes and trains, under the lend lease program the swarm the panzer with 10 to 1 odds worked.
They were literally using ants to take down larger animals.
This isn't actually true. Particularly the "planes" parts, since in 1941 there didn't exist a plane which could carry a 30 ton tank.

There was a variant of the Sherman that was considerably better armored. And also considerably heavier. And the War Department did make an active decision to continue with the lighter variant based on the fact that 3 lighter Shermans could be shipped or 2 heavier Shermans.

Yes, I will admit the swarm tactic worked, but it was very hard on tank crews. The tankers weren't happy at all with the situation. Particularly since prior to D-Day they had been told they had the best tank.

In the latter part of the war, late 1944 on, attempts were made to upgrade the Sherman in an ad hoc fashion. In many tanks they removed the short 75 mm gun and replaced it with a long 76 mm, a gun with much better armor penetration. There were also a large number of Shermans that had armor stripped from dead tanks welded to their hulls to give them improved armor protection. In Patton's Third Army, this was standard practice and all of his tanks were upgraded in this way.

#202199 Jan 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Plenty of people thought of it before Darwin and Wallace.
Darwin plagiarized a good bit of it.
And yes, it seems obvious if your environment kills you, you are not well-suited for it, and if you are dead, you can't reproduce.
The reason it seems obvious is because it is obvious.
What is not obvious is why it's considered a breakthrough.
No, Buck, they didn't. They may have thought of the idea that species change over time, but the idea of natural selection was brand new to Darwin and Wallace.

Before Darwin, you had ideas like Lamarckism, the idea of acquired characteristic. Darwin's idea was revolutionary, and why Darwin is so reviled by creationists.

You really need to pull you head out.

“Yeah lets do this”

Since: Jan 14

Nkadla

#202200 Jan 12, 2014
you nailed it , atheism might actually require much faith than the conventional religions. think its better to be an agnostic

#202201 Jan 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
When I say "DNA", I always mean "DNA".
Didn't say you did not. What I said was you were conflating meanings of the word "share" in this context.
Buck Crick wrote:
If I wanted to say "genes producing somewhat different proteins", I would say "genes producing somewhat different proteins".
Genes ARE DNA. Silly Buck.
Buck Crick wrote:
The dishonesty is trying to present these percentages to make humans and chimps sound more similar than they are.
Right. I see. They are dishonest because they are true. Gotcha.[/sarcasm]
Buck Crick wrote:
There are more differences between a chimpanzee and a human being than once believed, according to a new genetic study.
CNN:
"Biologists have long held that the genes of chimps and humans are about 98.5 percent identical. But Roy Britten, a biologist at the California Institute of Technology, said in a study published this week that a new way of comparing the genes shows that the human and chimp genetic similarity is only about 95 percent.
Britten based this on a computer program that compared 780,000 of the 3 billion base pairs in the human DNA helix with those of the chimp. He found more mismatches than earlier researchers had, and concluded that at least 3.9 percent of the DNA bases were different.
This led him to conclude that there is a fundamental genetic difference between the species of about 5 percent."
BWAHAHAHA

First off, CNN...or any other media outlet...is usually a terrible source of news on science. Most "science" writers don't have a good grounding in science. On top of that, they want the story to sound spectacular. So you see headlines like, "Evolution Overturned" when no such thing has happened. It is all sensationalism.

And 780,000??? Out of 3,000,000,000? You do realize that is 0.026 percent of the genome. So this guy was basing his conclusions off of 0.026...when the entire genome of both species is available. I would have to see a serious discussion about his methodology before concluding anything about his work.

And 5% difference. Well Buck, you got me there...because I said it was a 95% similarity.

<Buck opens mouth, inserts foot>

<again>

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#202202 Jan 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Which words of the First Amendment have been changed since 1952?
None of which I'm aware.
Although the interpretation has been expanded by SCOTUS and various other courts.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#202203 Jan 13, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I have. My favorite is that one, and then how it tells me how to get leprosy out my walls. Killing the pigeons and smearing the blood around is integral to both. I try to get leprosy at least once a year so's I can kill pigeons and smear the blood around. God really likes blood smeared around, it's indicated in a host of just such cures.
Don't forget to mention the Bible's scientific prescience when it comes to genetic selection. Genesis 30 tells us how to make striped goats. Have you read it?
And Leviticus 11 teaches about the taxonomy of bats and other related birds.
Then there's Exodus 4 which tells us of the origin of crippling birth defects. Not sure that's a bragging point, but this God is a capricious sort.
Genesis 6 teaches all about a fascinating sort of alien/human miscegenation, and this looong before the National Enquirer-type rags.
Then there's the complete suspension of physical law as told by Isaiah where the sun stops, and turns backward for a spell, and nobody spills a single drop of their coffee!
Yessiree, that Bible is a fascinating repository of scientific lore.
Grin.
Clearly you have not read it. You only partially list the steps.

Why would you do that?

Would a scientist or a sincere seeker only include part of the information?

Your choice clearly exposes your bigoted bias.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#202204 Jan 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My only research was to correct my error on Story being the first chief justice.
The rest was easy.
Your post was a mess, jurisprudence-wise.
Can you cite the court's precedent for knocking down school prayer in Engle v. Vitale?
I'll save you some research.
THEY DIDN'T OFFER ANY!!
If all laws were based on precedents, there would be no laws at all, given the necessity for a prior one.

You're wandering into "Infinite Regression" territory again.

Location hidden

#202205 Jan 13, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Why would a description of radiation featured in a book by an all knowing god be so vague that only a true believer could derive any meaning from it? The only way you get radiation from the verses in question is a desire to believe that the verses describe radiation. Ten different people would give you ten different answers if asked to interpret your "radiation" verses.
Because the Alien didn't intend the account to explain radiation.

What is profound, is that it took science 4000 years to understand what was happening.

Forget 10 different people, 10 ATHEISTS can't even give me single answer!

I think your bigotry is making you stupid.

List for me all the types of risks that combine deadly danger, multiple shielding, and a repeating glow effect.

This ignores the facts that the passage speaks of an Alien visitor, who is able to hover above the ground, and accurately predicts a result that we still observe today.

Smile.

Location hidden

#202206 Jan 13, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, your own site noted that there is a type of radiation that causes glowing. I noted that we are talking about an unknown Alien radiation.
Not to mention that you ignore all the other indications of a radiation type danger.
I use the term 'Alien' because it is a scientific term for an extra-terrestrial being that even the source claims.
You have only proved me right so far.
SMile.
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Have you been watching a little too much ancient aliens?
Let's see.

1. I noted that the site provided to 'disprove' a glowing effect, gave an example of a glowing effect.

YOU had no answer.

2. I noted that the passage clearly stated that the visitor was not from earth.

YOU had no answer.

Your question clearly exposes the real question is, how old are you?

Smile.

Location hidden

#202207 Jan 13, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You'd make a bad apologist. You only make appeals to "science found in the bible" when the verse in question is so vague as to be meaningless. But when it makes specific, clearly wrong claims, we write it off as a simple mistake. Surely we can allow for a few mistakes in god's perfect testament to mankind.
I'm glad you stepped in to clear things up.

Please help out by listing ALL the steps the passage requires for dealing with leprosy, we don't want the rebuttal to be 'vague' either, do we?

And then next to the individual steps, give your opinion on which ones are specific 'mistakes'.

SMirk.

La Veta, CO

#202208 Jan 13, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You are constantly denigrating learning from others.
So tell me, Dave, do you believe electrons exist?
If so, where did you get the idea?
Not as portrayed in the models. And I am not the only one.

That model is a guide based upon math quantifications based upon snapshots, or static representations. When you start looking at the whole picture of energy transfers you will come up with a different model and understanding.

You were given a box of alphabet blocks to play with and construct your universe with those models. Start moving the blocks around and you will get a different understanding. That static math created those blocks.

Location hidden

#202209 Jan 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That mentioned Cerenkov radiation, and it really isn't a "type", as in the effect occurs when beta particles (electrons) travel faster than the speed of light within a substance such as water.
The Moses was not "emitting" Cerenkov radiation.
Being exposed to radiation does not make people emit a glow.
Supply a credible link that says humans emit a glow when exposed to - any type - of radiation and you'll have made a point for your unsupported assertions.
If you don't or can't supply that information, you're just blowing a horn in a barrel in the middle of nowhere.
<quoted text>
Great. You've come up with something you claim exists, but is unknown.
So, now The Alien Yahweh had his own type of radiation that is different - and - unknown.
And you know it must be unknown, because, the only way your assertion works is if what you assert is an unknown variable, that you know.
I'm amazed at the explanations theists will come up with in order to hold on to a belief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_disson...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bia...
<quoted text>
Like a sunburn?
<quoted text>
So now you're saying that the source is proving what - you say - the source is describing, and you refer me to the source - from where you've taken the mythic story and the only place it exists - as proof of its veracity.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
<quoted text>
Keep telling yourself that, Astro; The best thing about a delusion is only you have to believe it.
You are getting confused.

The ancient passage lists five events, simply as a general explanation of what happened.

1. A extra-terrestrial visitor came
2. His presence emitted such a danger, that three types of shielding were required to prevent death.
3. The affect was a glowing on the skin
4. That affect was repeated every time Moses returned to the Alien presence
5. The Alien was able to hover over the group for an extended time.

Any one of these events is now understood to some degree scientifically. The ability to hover in flight alone is profound. But combined in one account, they become a fatal conundrum for atheists.

Now here is where you expose your ignorant bias; People traveling in the desert would be shocked by Moses returning from an Alien visit because he had a 'sunburn'. LOL, that was priceless...

To top that off, I've made no claim whether the passage is true or not. I simply have asked those who brush off the Bible as nothing but meaningless fiction to explain how this single event, with multiple aspects of modern understanding got into a fake book.

I've listed five aspects, and I'm still waiting for a single atheist to explain them in context.

SMile.

La Veta, CO

#202210 Jan 13, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't say you did not. What I said was you were conflating meanings of the word "share" in this context.
<quoted text>
Genes ARE DNA. Silly Buck.
<quoted text>
Right. I see. They are dishonest because they are true. Gotcha.[/sarcasm]
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHA
First off, CNN...or any other media outlet...is usually a terrible source of news on science. Most "science" writers don't have a good grounding in science. On top of that, they want the story to sound spectacular. So you see headlines like, "Evolution Overturned" when no such thing has happened. It is all sensationalism.
And 780,000??? Out of 3,000,000,000? You do realize that is 0.026 percent of the genome. So this guy was basing his conclusions off of 0.026...when the entire genome of both species is available. I would have to see a serious discussion about his methodology before concluding anything about his work.
And 5% difference. Well Buck, you got me there...because I said it was a 95% similarity.
<Buck opens mouth, inserts foot>
<again>
You will find the same studs, sheetrock, and concrete blocks in a house or a skyscraper. They are forms created by atomic matrixes that have the right properties for certain design purposes.

You will find similar blocks of instructions in computer bootstrap programs and other programs to effect certain functions, and such is done in a sequential manner to create a model that can be modified or to interface with apparatus with its own instructions. Such as monitors, printers, etc. Your DNA does the same.

You can cobble together different components that just need activation and instruction to fill a purpose.

The components of organisms are just matter compounded to do certain physical functions using leverage. Human and chimp arms and elbows will be similar because they do roughly the same functions, so a large part of the DNA programming will be similar dealing with such issues.

You have those that claim these common building methods were employed to create different models of organic life that then modified themselves adapting to a changing environment. That is what your ID says, not being poofed into existence, but constructed.

Then you have those like yourself that believe that the bootstrapping and assembly began by chance and developed from there. EM and chemical action that began by chance that channelled self sustaining patterns of energy transfer that assembled into the complicated mechanisms we are today just by sheer random trial and error of chemicals and energies bumping heads. That would be your abiogenesis.

Of course you have to identify the cause of the formation of the most basic building blocks for either. The current theory is a bubble expanded caused by intense heat. A seed activated and set into motion.

La Veta, CO

#202211 Jan 13, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The ancient passage lists five events, simply as a general explanation of what happened.
2. His presence emitted such a danger, that three types of shielding were required to prevent death.
Any one of these events is now understood to some degree scientifically. The ability to hover in flight alone is profound. But combined in one account, they become a fatal conundrum for atheists.
Now here is where you expose your ignorant bias; People traveling in the desert would be shocked by Moses returning from an Alien visit because he had a 'sunburn'. LOL, that was priceless...
To top that off, I've made no claim whether the passage is true or not. I simply have asked those who brush off the Bible as nothing but meaningless fiction to explain how this single event, with multiple aspects of modern understanding got into a fake book.
I've listed five aspects, and I'm still waiting for a single atheist to explain them in context.
SMile.
You have presented good points that are impossible to brush off in a rational manner.

Swami Dave predicts you will not find a single Topix atheist capable of responding to those points in a rational manner. It is the nature of those beasts. Let their bleating and bellowing begin.
David Rothmann

Portland, OR

#202212 Jan 13, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
SMile.
Hey mate poacher, God endowed you with a very very small brain didn't he, how many lies and simple minded fallacies have you introduced this forum to? I got a joke for you-

Kirschmann (a.k.a. KiMare), went into a bar and started ranting on perpetually about the evils of anal sex. After about an hour of this unintelligible ranting, the bartender ask "why are you so obsessed with what adults do with their anuses , in which Kirschmann replied "because it's a family matter, I'm a as...hole

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min USAsince1680 1,567,825
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 51 min Pinky 315,372
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr AindaPharrts 33,452
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 7 hr Into The Night 11,299
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web