Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247600 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#201517 Jan 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they are laws that embody both religious and moral obligations. Everyone in America feels the tug of morality and religion is some way. They are a bedrock foundation.
<quoted text>
Of course.
They're the Ten Commandments.
<quoted text>
As a reminder of public faith and trust.
Because we're alarmed at the accelerating rate of crime and immorality in the nation.
<quoted text>
I'm not upset.
<quoted text>
A reminder of our greatest obligation - the worship only God.
<quoted text>
What about them? They've become American phrases that the majority of Americans value.
<quoted text>
No it wouldn't.
Just like a Santa Claus at a courthouse won't make you a follower of Santa.
Now if the government tried to mandate a Christian belief system and try to force everyone to live a Christian life, that would violate all freedom of religions rights.
Placing a Ten Commandments plaque at a court or school doesn't force anyone to do anything.
.. thanks for addressing most of my questions ..

.. the 1st Commandment is the edict of an Abrahamic God, instructs people to follow no other God and orders the Sabbath be kept holy ..

.. it does not allow for the beliefs or non-beliefs of others including Hindus, African Diasporics, Buddhists, Aborigines, Gnostics or atheists and is extrinsic to the application of law ..

.. if placed on the wall of a federal judicial system grounded in law, it endorses and promotes the Abrahamic God ..

.. our forefathers could not foresee the growth of atheism in America. When the morphology of society changes, laws must change ..

.. "a reminder of our greatest obligation - the worship (of) God?" No, that is not my greatest obligation, nor do I think it your's. Presently, I think your greatest obligation is to provide your children with a roof over their heads, food on the table, clothes on their backs and mature guidance ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#201518 Jan 10, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article /2014/01/10/us-usa-gaymarriage -utah-justice-idUSBREA090WI201 40110
Perfect example of Federal violation of their authority.
The state sets the law on marriages. Those laws get written down and passed by due process. To be changed they have to go through the process.
A Federal judge ruled the state law was unconstitutional. Most other states have similar laws.
There was a rush to get married, even though there was no law allowing it. This was a matter to be decided by the higher courts, which BTW a higher one did strike down that judge's decision until the matter is settled.
Under the law they did not have the right to marry before the decision, or after that decision. The matter is still under judicial process.
To garner votes Obama and his activist allies are recognizing marriages that have absolutely no legal standing. With taxpayer money.
This is not the first time such shenanigans have been pulled.
People best stop and reflect as to who and what is behind these runaway trains that violate law.
These are mob rule actions, but the mobs are mucho smaller than portrayed. They can't do it under the law, so they do end runs.
Does the Federal government have the right to dictate marriage law to states?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#201519 Jan 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You wish.
Portraying the effects of radiation is not equatable to a 'stopped clock.'
But what you posted does not portray the effects of radiation. It says something that is VAGUELY like the effects of radiation. You then apply apologetics and twist meanings to get some result you like. Jeez.

At least the stopped clock is exactly right. Your example is barely in the ballpark...and even then only by a stretch of the imagination.
KiMare wrote:
Nor is the Jewish culture.
Either put up or shut up.
What is this hard on you have for Jewish Culture. In the ancient world, Jewish culture was a backwater. And a rustic backwater at that. It didn't even hold a candle to cultures like Greece, Rome, China or India.

With Established Harem

#201520 Jan 10, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are overreaching trying to justify your ideology's usurping provisions of the Constitution. Besides using extreme examples you are also trying to establish a right of the government to take proactive actions to prevent maybes and could be, and etc. Those maybe and could be arguments lead to tyranny of the masses, not a democratic process.
Your political philosophy is snake oil.
You deal with problems that arise in a democratic society, not establish a system designed to choke off change. Your leaders of that movement are no different than any other group that seeks and attempts to hold power by threat of law.
Move to another state for protection and be a political activist within Utah and have the people themselves change their government. You are calling in bullies from other areas to effect your desired changes. They will eventually bully you, also.
.. you didn't have a cigarette before writing this, did you ??..

You Wrote: "Your leaders of that movement are no different than any other group that seeks and attempts to hold power by threat of law."

.. does this mean leaders of the civil rights movement were only seeking power and used law to achieve their goal - the right to sit anywhere on a bus and not be beaten or murdered because of their race ??..

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#201521 Jan 10, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Oh yeah, lets see you cut a pizza in half.
Still using Buck as a role model. I tell you, that is a really big mistake.

So tell me, if I take 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 and just keep dividing by 2 and adding the result...infinitely, what do I get?

I take it you never took Calculus either.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#201522 Jan 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you didn't have a cigarette before writing this, did you ??..
You Wrote: "Your leaders of that movement are no different than any other group that seeks and attempts to hold power by threat of law."
.. does this mean leaders of the civil rights movement were only seeking power and used law to achieve their goal - the right to sit anywhere on a bus and not be beaten or murdered because of their race ??..
Another stretch on your part.

Sweetie, let me give you a clue that you may take into consideration in your quest to conquer the world for your ideals.

You profess a certain affinity for BDSM. You profess a certain self image as being a dominatrix. You act shocked that I would disagree with your intentions as to the betterment of mankind, etc, etc.

One could think you are on a power trip. Many could believe you aren't exactly trustworthy in upholding the rights of mankind, specifically those that don't agree with you.

Put some more makeup on.

:-)

With Established Harem

#201523 Jan 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That can happen. I stated earlier that one of the traits of an infinite set is that you can put part of the set into a one-to-one correspondence with the entire set. As is the case with even number and the entire set of integers. Yes, with infinite sets you can have "infinity - infinity = infinity".
You, like Buck, are trying to apply the rules of finite math to infinity. It just doesn't work that way however.
<quoted text>
Yes, you can view it that way. too. Infinite sets and their arithmetic play by different rules than finite sets.
This is why it is called INfinity. As in NOT finite. Because the rules are different.
<quoted text>
No, the absurdities occur when you try to apply the rules of the finite to the infinite. That you think your examples show absurdities does not mean they are absurdities. What it means is that you have never thought deeply about what it means to be infinite.
Don't take that as an insult. Very few people have. Even in grad school, we had quite a few aspiring mathematicians that just couldn't get their heads around the concept of infinity. It is not an easy concept to grasp, and it ruined the aspirations of those that couldn't get it. That is because it an absolute necessity in higher mathematics to grasp infinity.
The sad thing in Buck's case is that Buck has apparently give infinity some light, superficial consideration and thinks he knows everything there is to know about it. He is wrong. He is very wrong. But he is too egotistical to admit it even to himself.
.. want you do know I'm enjoying your posts ..

.. truth be told, infinity should be an easy concept for Buck or any believer to grasp ..

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#201524 Jan 10, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/daily -pot-tied-age-first-psychotic- episode-155332322.html
Pot and psychosis. This article was just posted.
"But the evidence has been unclear."

This says it all.

But you - one who probably advocates against this plant, will do everything in your power to keep promoting negative aspects, huh?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#201525 Jan 10, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> That's an untrue statement. The Just shall live by faith..Without faith you cannot please God. When prayer is made in faith and its answered isn't that non refractory to faith?
I said that faith is refractory to evidence. What that means is that even if the prayers of a person of faith are answered less often than the hopes of those who don't pray, he will not see that as evidence against the efficacy of prayer, but might consider it confirmatory. Faith doesn't care about evidence against it.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#201526 Jan 10, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
... Do they not hear the rational mind's warnings?....
Of course they do.

If they actually believed what they claim, they wouldn't be here trying to convince themselves they do.

Without weekly structured indoctrination sessions, they loose faith.

They are, as the saying goes, "sitting on the fence".

All we can do is help them fall onto the side of reason.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#201527 Jan 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Majority rules, baby. If the people of Utah want a statue of Moroni on their courthouses, then that's what they should get......
Just like they can institute slavery, right ?

You are soooooo clueless.

Albuquerque, NM

#201528 Jan 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilt Chamberlain?
Actually, the saying "Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law." is attributed to Aleister Crowley.

This occult saying is also embedded in the trail-off area on Led Zeppelin's 1970 45rpm - "The Immigrant Song / Hey, Hey What Can I Do."

"So mote it be" and "Do what thou wilt" have also been scribed inthe trail-off area of the Atlantic pressing LP of the same group - Led Zeppelin III

FYI - both editions - 45 and LP - that have this inscription are considered 1st pressings and will command a higher dollar than those that do not have the sayings.

Aliester Crowley - a visionary of his time.

With Established Harem

#201529 Jan 10, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Another stretch on your part.
Sweetie, let me give you a clue that you may take into consideration in your quest to conquer the world for your ideals.
You profess a certain affinity for BDSM. You profess a certain self image as being a dominatrix. You act shocked that I would disagree with your intentions as to the betterment of mankind, etc, etc.
One could think you are on a power trip. Many could believe you aren't exactly trustworthy in upholding the rights of mankind, specifically those that don't agree with you.
Put some more makeup on.
:-)
.. I'm really not into S&M but bondage is great fun, just ask Buck. What's your problem with that ??..

.. and, please, don't call me Sweetie, OK? I see through that and understand your intent ..

.. makeup? Yes, love it! Would you like to send me some Bobbi Brown lipstick or Estee Lauder anti-oxidant creme ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201530 Jan 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. thanks for addressing most of my questions ..
Sho nuff.
.. the 1st Commandment is the edict of an Abrahamic God, instructs people to follow no other God and orders the Sabbath be kept holy ..
No. The 4th Commandment talks about the Sabbath, not the 1st.
.. it does not allow for the beliefs or non-beliefs of others including Hindus, African Diasporics, Buddhists, Aborigines, Gnostics or atheists and is extrinsic to the application of law ..
Correct. That's why it says to worship oy God.
.. if placed on the wall of a federal judicial system grounded in law, it endorses and promotes the Abrahamic God ..
Not by Congress, it doesn't.
.. our forefathers could not foresee the growth of atheism in America. When the morphology of society changes, laws must change ..

Why?
.. "a reminder of our greatest obligation - the worship (of) God?" No, that is not my greatest obligation, nor do I think it your's. Presently, I think your greatest obligation is to provide your children with a roof over their heads, food on the table, clothes on their backs and mature guidance ..
I don't care if it's your greatest obligation or if it's mine.

The point was that it's Christianity's greatest obligation and we like seeing the 10 Commandments at courthouses and Crosses on hills.

Christians are still the vast majority in America and that's unlikely to change soon.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#201531 Jan 10, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Prolly.... in the fundie thesaurus?
Lol. He is such a stealth fun die.

Albuquerque, NM

#201532 Jan 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilt Chamberlain?
"The law of Thelema is "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will." The law of Thelema was developed by Aleister Crowley, the early 20th-century British writer and ceremonial magician"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

"The first pressings of the album included the phrases "So mote be it" (not to be confused with "So mote it be".) Then later on included the phrase "Do what thou wilt", inscribed on the lacquer itself by engineer Terry Manning during the final mastering process.[citation needed] This phrase is identical to one in the core tenet of Aleister Crowley's philosophy of Thelema: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will. There is no law beyond do what thou wilt." But it also the same as a portion of a variant of the Wiccan Rede. Page was a scholar of Crowley's work, once owning a private collection of Crowley manuscripts, artwork and other ephemera, and in the 1970s even bought one of his residences, Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness in Scotland.[citation needed]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_zeppelin_iii

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#201533 Jan 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Silly girl.

The accurate description of radiation is not a 'prediction'.

The problem is, no one predicted another culture becoming exactly what the Alien did. Thousands of years before it happened.

Maybe this type of debate is not for you...

Smile.
Just so you know, he doesn't care if you call him a girl. I've tried it.

What would you like? Thorazine? Valium?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201534 Jan 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
If they actually believed what they claim, they wouldn't be here trying to convince themselves they do.
I haven't been to church in years and my faith grows.

Explain that using your theory.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201535 Jan 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Just like they can institute slavery, right ?
No, not in the least.

It's illegal to own, buy, sell or be a slave in the US.

It's not illegal to have religious icons in public places.

You think you have an analogy but you don't.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#201536 Jan 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Of course they do.

They are, as the saying goes, "sitting on the fence".

All we can do is help them fall onto the side of reason.
Heh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr OzRitz 6,944
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,277,680
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr stewart scott 29,956
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 hr cpeter1313 310,234
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Tue Pastor Pete 201,864
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
More from around the web