Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245264 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#200875 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I did no such thing.
I didn't say Throckmorton was wrong because of his philosophy. I said it is worth noting where he comes from on the issue of Christian evangelizing among Indians. He thinks it is atrocious. And that information is worth noting, as it debunks the image put out that Throckmorton is some kind of conservative evangelical. And it is worth noting when considering his take on Jefferson's motivations - the founding hero of separation - and whether Jefferson supported such evangelizing.
The facts are what shows Throckmorton to be wrong, and Barton right.
Darwin's AssSuck, you should never argue history with me.
Why? Because you can't even get the history of my last two posts right.
Come to think of it, you can't get anything right.
Welcome to Buck School. Have a seat in the back. There are non-infinite donuts on the table.
Buck, read your own effing post.

And, no, you have NOT shown that Throckmorton is wrong. Your arguments boil down to:

1) Throckmorton is not a conservative, and is therefore wrong.

2) Barton is right because Barton says he is right.

It should be very telling that you haven't presented ANYONE other than yourself, Barton, or Barton's employees that say Barton is right.

If everyone is telling you that you are wrong, you should at least consider that maybe you are. But not you. That's not the Buck way.

"Maybe they're right when they tell me I'm wrong…
NAAAAH!
I'm an asshole."

--Dennis Leary

BTW, I see that you still can't bring yourself not to throw out insults.

See the new Buck, same as the old Buck.

#200876 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Barton is an authority on religion and the founding of the nation.
You are an authority on dumbassery.
And,...OK,...I'll give you as an authority on infinite-length donuts.
Curious that you are virtually the only person to think he is.

#200877 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
...and infinite pizza. Almost forgot that one.
If anyone asks if a pizza can be cut into infinite pieces, each of volume greater than zero, then the infinite pieces put back in the same box, I'll refer them to you.
This from the person that says that 1/2 is not a real value.

#200878 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm from the Bible belt.
I think I matured pretty early. I played varsity football in the 7th grade.
About those mature boys up North,...
When they came down south from Penn State or Notre Dame, they would let out squeally sounds like little girls when I hit them really hard. If I laid a shoulder pad into their diaphragm just right, they would go out of the game and gasp for breath.
And those were the toughest ones.
LOL. Buck, mentally you have never matured. You are still in that little boy "My parents are always right" frame of mind.

#200879 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen statistics on God. I can't imagine how they would be compiled.
This is, in part, why there are so many atheists.

You can't even provide a falsifiable test for whether or not you god exists.

“I have a brain,I try to use it”

Since: Jan 14

<3London<3 <3Denmark<3

#200880 Jan 9, 2014
Atheism requires 1 thing: A working brain
Jim

London, UK

#200881 Jan 9, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see the word atheist where you claim it is. Also, there is nothing that I found that they do good because they are atheist or because of anything in atheism is the reason to do good. Saying what kinds of people make up a group says nothing about atheism being the guiding principle.
Didn't see anything on Gates being an atheist and atheism being the guiding principle to do good.
As for your claim not to have a dogma is not true. The mission statement is dogma.
Now tell me: what good were atheists doing 500 years ago?
Atheism is a disbelief in god, religion and religious liars (who lie about god).

You are looking to Atheism for the wrong things. Its just disbelief.

Bill Gates is an Atheist and the world's largest donator.

Acutally the top wealthiest donators are all Atheist - George Soros as Atheist as well.

Atheism has no dogma other than:

"Sorry, but I just don't believe you."
Jim

London, UK

#200882 Jan 9, 2014
Bill Gates & George Soros donated because they are good people, not necessarily because they disbelief in god and religion.

Religion lies, trying to mislead you into thinking that its the reason why people do nice things for others.

The real reason is because the person is nice. It doesn't matter if they are Atheist or Religious.

I would be more suspicious of a nice Religious person than a nice Atheist.

Because the Atheist doesn't have a religious agenda for being nice.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200886 Jan 9, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>

In the same 49 million years, a semi-aquatic hoofed shore predator has become the whales and dolphins we see today.

The whale sequence is mathematically impossible.

You believe it anyway.

Keep the faith, Amen. Praise Darwin! ULALALALALALALALAL......

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#200887 Jan 9, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn.
You are aware, are you not, that we atheist consider your book to be little more than mythology. Quoting it at us is just an exercise in futility on your part.
Imagine a Muslim quoting the Quran to you and saying it proved his point. What would your reaction be?
People use a yawn as a diversion when they get nervous.

I'm fully aware how you consider the Bible. I'm simply asking you if that is the result of ignorant bigotry, faith if you will, or a reasoned conclusion.

I've put forward a brief incident in your book of myth, and asked how it got there and accomplished what it promised.

Now put up or shut up.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#200888 Jan 9, 2014
TheKingIam wrote:
Atheism requires 1 thing: A working brain
Yeah, I'm seeing that...

Smirk.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#200889 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe it anyway.
Nothing is mathematically impossible.

Long live zero !!!!

“I have a brain,I try to use it”

Since: Jan 14

<3London<3 <3Denmark<3

#200890 Jan 9, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm seeing that...
Smirk.
Go pray to buddah you nutter

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#200891 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The whale sequence is mathematically impossible........
So..... Sky Daddy can create something from nothing, raise the dead to life, Create a man from clay and a woman from clay boy's rib, get a virgin pregnant, give birth to itself ; BUT it can't turn a cow into a whale over millions of years.

Right!

You just keep telling God what It can and can't do.

ROFLMAO

#200892 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe it anyway.
Prove it.

As usual, you are talking out of you Buck.

Mathematics says you are wrong. Biology says you are wrong. And the fossil record definitely says you are wrong. There is a beautiful sequence of fossils showing whale evolution from ambulocetus to modern whales.

But then, your authority figures say otherwise, so you have to follow their lead and parrot their lack of reasoning.

Buck, you are a joke. Everyone knows it but you.

#200893 Jan 9, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
People use a yawn as a diversion when they get nervous.
I'm fully aware how you consider the Bible. I'm simply asking you if that is the result of ignorant bigotry, faith if you will, or a reasoned conclusion.
I've put forward a brief incident in your book of myth, and asked how it got there and accomplished what it promised.
Now put up or shut up.
Smile.
Really, if you can't imagine any way it could have gotten there, then all I can say is that you have a very poor sense of imagination.

How did it get there? The same way Harry Potter ended up at Hogwarts...somebody made the story up.

Are you aware that a few years ago some Israeli archeologist went on a serious hunt for archeological evidence of Moses. They really want to find evidence of the man. And what did they find? Nada. Not one damned thing. Their conclusion? The whole Moses story is a myth.

And outside of the Bible, there isn't one mention of Moses in any historical document. Not one. It is almost as if the man never existed at all. Which is almost certainly the case.

Your one and only source for Moses is the Bible. Using the Bible as evidence of Moses is like using Paul Bunyan stories as evidence that Babe the Blue Ox really existed.

If you want to see what archeology really has to say on the early Bible, watch PBS's "The Bible's Buries Secrets". All true, and information that should be illuminating to a Christian.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/bibles-b...

#200894 Jan 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Long live zero !!!!
Have you heard about the civilization that first developed the concept of zero? It was such a novel idea, they actually thought it was divine in origin. They put the symbol in all their temples and on all their altars.

To them, nothing was sacred.

#200895 Jan 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Long live zero !!!!
BTW, I wouldn't say that nothing is mathematically impossible. In fact, all of mathematics is based on the fact that things are impossible. If it were not for the fact those things were impossible, then anything (absolutely anything) could be proven mathematically.

But one thing is for sure. Don't listen to Buck on mathematics. Buck has to pull his socks and shoes off to count above 10.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#200896 Jan 9, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, if you can't imagine any way it could have gotten there, then all I can say is that you have a very poor sense of imagination.
How did it get there? The same way Harry Potter ended up at Hogwarts...somebody made the story up.
Are you aware that a few years ago some Israeli archeologist went on a serious hunt for archeological evidence of Moses. They really want to find evidence of the man. And what did they find? Nada. Not one damned thing. Their conclusion? The whole Moses story is a myth.
And outside of the Bible, there isn't one mention of Moses in any historical document. Not one. It is almost as if the man never existed at all. Which is almost certainly the case.
Your one and only source for Moses is the Bible. Using the Bible as evidence of Moses is like using Paul Bunyan stories as evidence that Babe the Blue Ox really existed.
If you want to see what archeology really has to say on the early Bible, watch PBS's "The Bible's Buries Secrets". All true, and information that should be illuminating to a Christian.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/bibles-b...
Moses is the Jewish equivalent of Romulus and Remus.

#200897 Jan 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Long live zero !!!!
BTW...when Buck was first on Topix, he tried to tell everyone that 1/2 was not a real value.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min THE DEVIL 1,265,102
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 min Trojan 29,857
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 29 min Brian_G 310,378
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr EDA 6,515
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Aug 2 Brian_G 1,716
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jul 31 bernarlyn 33
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,844
More from around the web