Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#200793 Jan 8, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Paul recites 8 beatings.
Luke records one.
Obviously Acts does not support Paul's assertion....
...except in Bizarro Apologist World.
I know, it's a tough gig trying to defend Paul. Plays hell with one's moral base, not to mention the total departure from fact-based reason.
You're a perfect example.
Grin.
You said Acts didn't support Paul. I proved it did.

Now you demand Acts match the account of Paul. It makes no such claim to do so.

The only thing you proved is your bias.

Snicker.

Location hidden

#200794 Jan 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Exodus 33:18-23 (NASB) 18 Then Moses said, "I pray You, show me Your glory!" 19 And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion." 20 But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!" 21 Then the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock; 22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by. 23 "Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen." Note; -Seeing God was a life-threatening danger.-God used three forms of protection for the radiation; Behind a rock Shielded with His hand Only allowed a partial view (back) Exodus 34:29-35 (NASB) 29 It came about when Moses was coming down from Mount Sinai (and the two tablets of the testimony were in Moses' hand as he was coming down from the mountain), that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because of his speaking with Him. 30 So when Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 Then Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the rulers in the congregation returned to him; and Moses spoke to them. 32 Afterward all the sons of Israel came near, and he commanded them to do everything that the LORD had spoken to him on Mount Sinai. 33 When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever Moses went in before the LORD to speak with Him, he would take off the veil until he came out; and whenever he came out and spoke to the sons of Israel what he had been commanded, 35 the sons of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone. So Moses would replace the veil over his face until he went in to speak with Him. Note; The effect of radiation. Please explain how a accurate description of radiation's danger, affect and protection appeared in a story about a Alien visiting humans in a fiction book written by numerous authors, distorted by time and translation occurred. Smile.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Ecce fides - behold faith,
Scoffing masquerading as intelligence.

You are consistent.

Come on, give it your best shot. Prove me wrong.

Smirk.

Smile.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#200795 Jan 8, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I was a catholic until I reached the age of reason, about 12. Didn't see the logic behind worshiping a child murdering, baby killing, genocidal maniac. That was easy eh?
Being less than forthright normally is

I grew up in a Catholic grade school. I couldn't have told you a single OT verse when I was 12. Christians are under the New Testament. And they certainly don't address subjects like you mentioned that are in the OT with 12 year olds. And even with adults you pretty much have to be in a bible study to go over anything in the OT because as you should know, Catholics have a strong focus on the gospels.

So...what is the real answer and not the made-for-Topix answer?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#200796 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> why,is there a waxing gibbous?
I tried waxing a gibbon once.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Location hidden

#200797 Jan 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Exodus 33:18-23 (NASB) 18 Then Moses said, "I pray You, show me Your glory!" 19 And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion." 20 But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!" 21 Then the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock; 22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by. 23 "Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen." Note; -Seeing God was a life-threatening danger.-God used three forms of protection for the radiation; Behind a rock Shielded with His hand Only allowed a partial view (back) Exodus 34:29-35 (NASB) 29 It came about when Moses was coming down from Mount Sinai (and the two tablets of the testimony were in Moses' hand as he was coming down from the mountain), that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because of his speaking with Him. 30 So when Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 Then Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the rulers in the congregation returned to him; and Moses spoke to them. 32 Afterward all the sons of Israel came near, and he commanded them to do everything that the LORD had spoken to him on Mount Sinai. 33 When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever Moses went in before the LORD to speak with Him, he would take off the veil until he came out; and whenever he came out and spoke to the sons of Israel what he had been commanded, 35 the sons of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone. So Moses would replace the veil over his face until he went in to speak with Him. Note; The effect of radiation. Please explain how a accurate description of radiation's danger, affect and protection appeared in a story about a Alien visiting humans in a fiction book written by numerous authors, distorted by time and translation occurred. Smile.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I was right, you ARE batshit crazy!!!
My, my, all these big, brave intelligent atheists, and not one able to stand up to a near senile old man.

I feel like David facing the Philistines...

You afraid of a batshit crazy?

Isn't it interesting that a space ship hovered over the Israelites leading them?

Smirk.

Location hidden

#200798 Jan 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
'more natural'? It is or it isn't. Both are. Idiot.
<quoted text>
What happened to your promised gifts of the spirit? You were supposed to get, "love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" in exchange for your faith. That promise came from the same source as the promise of eternal life in heaven. Does that concern you at all? You have thousands of hours praying, reading your bible and sitting in churches, and tens of thousands of dollars invested in that promise.
THAT'S your response to being made a fool of? Dig into stupid???

You have no idea what my belief system is.

Moreover, I'm arguing science, and now YOU want to argue faith???

LOL, too funny!

Snicker smile.

Location hidden

#200799 Jan 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith, by it's very definition is unprovable.
You think you are being clever, instead, you are an
Idiot.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Faith is in fact gullibility, believing in something without evidence. Faith is the permission theists give to each other to support their unproven beliefs. Faith is NOT a pathway to truth, Faith IS gullibility.
Hey, if that's your faith, more power to you.

Looks like a big hole of stupid you are digging to me...

Or, maybe it's the faith your mom and dad had in you?

SMile.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#200800 Jan 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried waxing a gibbon once.
I wouldn't recommend it.
You have to get them drunk first. Then they don't mind so much:)

Location hidden

#200801 Jan 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed they don't need an Army but they have had them and still do.
There have been and continue to be State sponsored Atheistic Countries with Armies of Soldiers who are Atheist.
Can you imagine what it's like living today in North Korea?
Got it. If the majority of any given country's population isn't Christian, then it's a terrible place.

Have you been to Dubai? It's a city in the UAE.

Have you been to Singapore?

Location hidden

#200802 Jan 8, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>You're forcing your own pre-conceived construct onto the narrative again.
The author could have come to the same analogy through the experience of sitting too close too long at a camp-fire.
Occam's Razor.....
LOL, you are funny. Blonde too?

Do you think they were familiar with camp fires?

If you read on in the passage, every time Moses went into the presence of the Alien, he got a fresh glow. They probably weren't familiar with sun-burn, you know, being in the desert and all that...

LOL, too funny. No wonder you pussies are running from the challenge.

SMirk.

Location hidden

#200803 Jan 8, 2014
<quoted text>
I didn't think.
I know, I know.

SMile.

Location hidden

#200804 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Their experience with sunburns and campfire burns would not make a glowing face something remarkable.
For one, for a face to glow requires an energy level to emit light, not just reflect it. For a human being to glow enough to require a veil means a pretty high energy level. I doubt if you have seen people with 110 degree F fevers glow, or alive for very long.
You aren't talking campfires.
Dave, it's a curve ball they didn't see coming. They don't have a little diddie they heard somewhere and are literally dumbfounded.

Smile.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#200805 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Solar radiation storm. Weak signals in Topix atheist brains. Expect a higher incidence of erratic thinking emanating from them.
Monkeys work in car washes?
<The Dave Nelson> ".... me so funny and fabulous..."

Location hidden

#200806 Jan 8, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
I said Acts recounts one beating. You confirmed it.
Paul cites 8 beatings.
Acts does not support Paul's assertion.
Can't make it any simpler for ya.
As for the "stoning", what is the intended result of the ancient custom of stoning?
Death.
Yet Paul dusted himself off, continued on into town, spent a quiet night, and left town the next day, with no further incident.
Pretty obvious the "stoning" was more like, "some cranks threw rocks at him, then went away".
<quoted text>
I know, right? This is a good one. When your teenager insists, "I'm not lying!" when no one has accused them of lying, what do you think?
"Hmmm, probably lying."
<quoted text>
Dude, Paul himself said he'd say anything and be anything his audience required to get HIS gospel out.
You call it lying. I call it advertising.
<quoted text>Just reading directly from the good book, friend.
With discernment and comparative comprehension.
There's the difference twixt thee and me.
Hon, man up.

You said Acts didn't support Paul. It does. Just not to your bias.

And clearly, it was limp wristed rock throwers. You should know that...

Smirk.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#200807 Jan 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is a extreme God in that he couldnít be satisfied with one or even a dozen stars. He made trillions upon trillions. He has this extreme personality which has two sides. A loving and compassionate side for his children. Then thereís the extreme judgmental side.
You are more than welcome not believe in him if you so desire. I know him, heís not a figment of my imagination as you and others claim. I know beyond the shadow of any doubt he is real. I have tested God for the past 40 years.
Iíve seen prayers answered and observed miracles that are so incredible that I canít share them with you. If I did you would swear I was making it up.
These crimes against humanity as you list are ongoing within a 10 mile radius of where you live. Thereís slaves in Boston, Rapist, Murders, Satanist that proscribe to blood sacrifices. These crimes are mans immorality and mans sins. Not Gods.
When Cain killed his brother Abel. God became the very first homicide detective and began interrogating Cain.ďWhere is your brother?Ē
These crimes against humanity donít seem to bother you one bit. You never mention modern day slaves which are often children used in prostitution. If man does it that seems to be OK with you. But because God allowed a heathen cities and fortifications to be destroyed heís all wrong. Never mind that these heathen cities did all these things that you say God allowed Israel to do.
For the record I donít know anywhere in the bible where God told people to rape. There may be like today individuals that cross that line. And there are these purposely gross misinterpretations by Atheist about what the Bible says.
We have gone over these scriptures over and over. And everyone you bring up or your comrades bring up. I can easily counter.
Sure, we were all floored by the Noah's Pier argument you tried to float.

Location hidden

#200808 Jan 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is evidence of man curiosity. The desire to learn and probe the unknown. It has never proven thereís no God.
Science doesn't care whether there is a god or not.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I might add that Science in all itís billions of dollars on research has never came to conclusive evidence how life started here on earth from sterile material. Thereís no signs of past life of any kind on Mars and it had water and sunlight.
You conclude that from the vast amount of archeology done on Mars, right?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think they would at least find a beer can, empty shotgun shell or a pizza box, but nada.
You seem to be comparing Martians to the Swamp People.

Location hidden

#200809 Jan 8, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is little archeological or historical evidence to back up the Torah stories as anything but a pseudo-historical political document.
Even most Jews understand that.
Really?

Spend some time here and get an education;

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/

Smile.

Location hidden

#200810 Jan 8, 2014
<quoted text>
Mathematics implies atheism. A god is overwhelmingly statistically unlikely - the least likely thing to exist undesigned. It is far, far, less likely to exist undesigned than say a 747 being in a junkyard following a tornado,or the likelihood of a universe or cell existing uncreated.
Logic, especially the law of noncontradiction, rules out the Christian god in particular. There is obviously no perfect god writing error filled bibles, making vague and incorrect predictions, nor answering any prayers. Nor could a perfect god exist. Nothing perfect could change and remain perfect, meaning that such a god couldn't think or act .
Rational skepticism implies atheism. The stunning successes of science and secular humanism lend support to the principle of rational skepticism, which when applied to claims of gods, yields atheism Those three are each the result of the application of rational skepticism to matters of the natural world, human life, and the supernatural respectively. Since they are all fruit of the same tree, the stunning successes of science, such as the polio vaccine and space travel, and of secular humanism, such as the US Constitution and individual political freedoms, suggest that atheism is just as valid.
And science implies atheism in at least three more ways
Science shows us that every creation myth is a fabrication, meaning that extraordinary religious proclamations that can be checked have uniformly been found to be wrong. Once we understand where religious thought comes from, and what its standards of scholarship are - making things up and saying that a god told you - we understand where the concept of a god comes from: man's imagination.
Also, science has shown that we don't need a god. There was never was a reason to even consider the possibility of a god except to explain the otherwise inexplicable. And science does that better. With each of its pronouncement, every god shrinks into a smaller gap. Religion is dying wherever science is thriving.
And finally, scientists have been studying our reality at every scale from the Higgs boson (CERN) to the cosmological scale (WMAP) since the invention of the microscope and telescope, and have never found a scintilla of evidence for a designer. Nothing. Scientists have shown repeatedly that prayer fails.
That's a lot of evidence.
LOL. Really.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#200811 Jan 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, it's a curve ball they didn't see coming. They don't have a little diddie they heard somewhere and are literally dumbfounded.
Smile.
You're correct, there is no argument against stupidity, it is self sustaining, like your "he glowed from radiation" argument, which is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard from a theist to support the bible.

Go here.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1320...

Location hidden

#200812 Jan 8, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You have to get them drunk first. Then they don't mind so much:)
That's the secret?

< River takes bong away from hairy primate >

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 min IBdaMann 4,361
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nuculur option 1,192,928
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 min Chosen Traveler 29,082
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 16 min Conservative Demo... 761
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 24 min RickJP 308,998
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Big D 201,439
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) 19 hr alvina haynes 13
More from around the web