Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200836 Jan 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no real understanding of atheism. Once again, you are merely parroting your religious authority figures.
Atheism does not make an absolute claim that there are no gods. What atheism (or at least the vast majority of atheists) points to is the lack of evidence of any gods.
That there is no objective evidence of gods is a true statement, and requires on faith. What DOES require faith (in the "belief without evidence" sense) is a belief in your imaginary friend.
And, as I have recently pointed out, wanting something to be true does not make it a fact...or evidence. You are free to believe whatever you want, but your belief does not make it a fact.
Atheism is not a "claim", same as theism is not.

Atheism is a belief - that no god exists.

And there is objective evidence of god. So you are wrong about that, too.

Your perfect record is intact, Darwin's Sweet Potato.

I'll be watching to see if you get something right one day.

I will have it placed in a time capsule.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#200837 Jan 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
My guess is that Buck considers Barton to be one of his authority figures, and therefore (in Buck's opinion) Barton can do no wrong.
Barton is an authority on religion and the founding of the nation.

You are an authority on dumbassery.

And,...OK,...I'll give you as an authority on infinite-length donuts.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#200838 Jan 8, 2014
...and infinite pizza. Almost forgot that one.

If anyone asks if a pizza can be cut into infinite pieces, each of volume greater than zero, then the infinite pieces put back in the same box, I'll refer them to you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#200841 Jan 8, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Being less than forthright normally is
I grew up in a Catholic grade school. I couldn't have told you a single OT verse when I was 12. Christians are under the New Testament. And they certainly don't address subjects like you mentioned that are in the OT with 12 year olds. And even with adults you pretty much have to be in a bible study to go over anything in the OT because as you should know, Catholics have a strong focus on the gospels.
So...what is the real answer and not the made-for-Topix answer?
Nicer attempt at dodging your Gods murderous and uncaring nature. Jesus said that nothing will change, God is eternal, he is the same yesterday, and today, and will be tomorrow, he is "unchangeable"

So is it your contention that God saw what a prick he was on the OT, and repented? LOL

So if your going to ignore anything in the OT that would also include the 10 commandments, which are in the OT.

how convenient for you to make believe the evils and immorality in the bible don't exist. Of course you would have to do this otherwise you would have to admit just what a genocidal baby killer your God really is. So go right ahead and ignore the immorality found in the bible and focus instead on all the warm and fuzzy stuff. Totally dishonest. Your in denial big time!!
UidiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#200842 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
If anyone asks if a pizza can be cut into infinite pieces, each of volume greater than zero, then the infinite pieces put back in the same box, I'll refer them to you.
Infinite army of eating machine eats you infinite pizza and you left with zero! BAhhahahaaaaaaa
UidiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#200843 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You have more wisdom and understanding than you get credit for. No wonder Catcher loathes you.
it not about RR wisdom but his Ignorance... bahahahaaaa

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#200844 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen statistics on God. I can't imagine how they would be compiled.
I also can't imagine how a god is overwhelmingly statistically unlikely.
Even so, I am overwhelmingly statistically unlikely. So is the guy in my neighborhood driving down the highway in his car and being killed by a rock thrown from a lawn mower going through his open window. But both happened.
Buck, I don't mean to be giving you advice.

As I see it though, it's a bad bet. Terrible odds.

Pascal's wager is your only real way out.

But that's cowardly, and in any case no reasonable good would buy into it.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#200845 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
I checked a chapter of Fellowship of Freethought and I didn't see anything about atheism is the driving force behind this chapter. I'm beginning to think you are making this up.
Fellowship Of Freethought Dallas. Below is the meaning behind their Logo, notice if you will the very FIRST word after freethought..........ATHEIST. Did you research the others I listed? You do now realize what a lying assclown you are right??

The Meaning Behind Our Logo

Four petals make up our pansy, representing the different facets of our organization. From the left (clockwise) we begin with Freethought. Atheist, Skeptic, Agnostic, Humanist, non-theist, Bright, or yet uncategorized non-believer, we all have the desire to live a life free of dogma. At the top of our flower is what we think has been missing from many secular organizations and meet-ups to date – Fellowship. It goes beyond socialization. It encompasses outreach, volunteerism, advancing shared goals and enriching the lives of our communities.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#200846 Jan 8, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Nicer attempt at dodging your Gods murderous and uncaring nature. Jesus said that nothing will change, God is eternal, he is the same yesterday, and today, and will be tomorrow, he is "unchangeable"
So is it your contention that God saw what a prick he was on the OT, and repented? LOL
So if your going to ignore anything in the OT that would also include the 10 commandments, which are in the OT.
how convenient for you to make believe the evils and immorality in the bible don't exist. Of course you would have to do this otherwise you would have to admit just what a genocidal baby killer your God really is. So go right ahead and ignore the immorality found in the bible and focus instead on all the warm and fuzzy stuff. Totally dishonest. Your in denial big time!!
My contention was and is that you lied

The only 'dodge' was your refusal to explain how you were so well versed in the OT at 12 years old

I'm even gonna do you a favor and give you some advice. You can't dig your way out of a hole.You wanted to impress people. You aren't the first to do it on Topix and certainly won't be the last.. It was a stupid claim to make. Suck it up and move on.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#200847 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm from the Bible belt.
I think I matured pretty early. I played varsity football in the 7th grade.
About those mature boys up North,...
When they came down south from Penn State or Notre Dame, they would let out squeally sounds like little girls when I hit them really hard. If I laid a shoulder pad into their diaphragm just right, they would go out of the game and gasp for breath.
And those were the toughest ones.
No one believes a fuckingloser, so just pissofffucknuts!!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#200848 Jan 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
One more Redneck dodge.
You're spineless.
And you didn't address your bigotry, either to me, or to River.
Coward.
That chip on your shoulder sure is teetering.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#200849 Jan 8, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>My contention was and is that you lied
The only 'dodge' was your refusal to explain how you were so well versed in the OT at 12 years old
I'm even gonna do you a favor and give you some advice. You can't dig your way out of a hole.You wanted to impress people. You aren't the first to do it on Topix and certainly won't be the last.. It was a stupid claim to make. Suck it up and move on.
It's not hard skippy, I had a bible, I could read very well at 12, and the cruelty and immoralities on the part of god were very easy to spot, all one has to do is approach it objectively. How much deciphering does it take to figure out God murdered all the first born of Egypt? Or genocide with the Midianites, with a little rape thrown it, actually a lot of rape as there were 32,000 virgins.

It takes very little to see that this God has undesirable traits like humans, traits that no God should possess, but he threw a hissy fit and flooded the entire globe thereby murdering men, pregnant women, along with their fetuses, children and babies.

It's really not all that hard, I'm truly sorrow that as obvious as these hideous acts of cruelty by your God were, you didn't have the intelligence, or the reading comprehension to recognize them. I assume your an adult, if so you still haven't recognized them, pitiful indeed.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#200850 Jan 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Got it. If the majority of any given country's population isn't Christian, then it's a terrible place.
Have you been to Dubai? It's a city in the UAE.
Have you been to Singapore?
I haven't been to either but out of the two you listed I would prefer Singapore.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#200851 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Get serious. Why would an atheist do good because of his atheism? When an atheist does good its not because of anything to do with atheism.
I checked the Bill & Melida Gates Foundation and I didn't see anything about atheism inspiring their giving. Please show me where this is why they are helping people out. Otherwise, you are what you are calling me.
What were the atheist organizations of 500 years ago?
At minimum, someone could not claim that AND claim atheism isn't a belief

Especially if its a counter-ideology

Nobody would be motivated to do something based on an absence of belief

If they don't think God will help so they do it in the name of atheism, then that's a belief

Personally I find it silly. The goal should be helping people. Not making sure people know the credit goes to those that don't believe in God. It's different for Christians to identify a charity as being Christian because we gather under a shared belief and congregate and worship together. But atheists have said the idea of say an atheist church would be silly. I happen to agree. But I also think making sure people know your charity is atheist is silly too. Do the starving kids care where the food comes from? I would hope it isn't necessary because people will not give to a charity if they think its run by Christians and therefore the need to identify a place as an atheist charitable organization.

It would be nice if people could at least put their differences aside when it comes to helping the needy. And I will also say if the most reputable charity for kids by me happened to be atheist I would donate there. I don't give a crap what someone claims to believe when it comes to charity. I just want to be as sure as I can that my money is getting to the people that need it

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#200852 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Yeah you're right..there will never be enough pizza in that box for you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#200853 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Get serious. Why would an atheist do good because of his atheism? When an atheist does good its not because of anything to do with atheism.
I checked the Bill & Melida Gates Foundation and I didn't see anything about atheism inspiring their giving. Please show me where this is why they are helping people out. Otherwise, you are what you are calling me.
What were the atheist organizations of 500 years ago?
So the ONLY reason Christians do good is because of their belief in God? Without a belief in God they would NOT seek to help their fellow brothers and sister of the planet?

You have prove here, and in some of your previous posts, that you have little or no idea what an Atheist is. Once again you post in ignorance, shameful really!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#200854 Jan 8, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, we were all floored by the Noah's Pier argument you tried to float.
Now that you mentioned it you’re the one that had a friend of a friend who had a 12’ Jon Boat. And that made you an expert in Marine engineering. After all who could argue with someone who had a friend of a friend with a Jon Boat?

What was his name, Jimbob? Bubba?

For the life of me with that kind of qualification. I don’t know why you’re not designing Aircraft Carriers for the US Navy.

Special Forces should be guarding you 24 hours a day. It would be a disaster if all that Jon Boat knowledge fell into enemy hands.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#200855 Jan 8, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>At minimum, someone could not claim that AND claim atheism isn't a belief
Especially if its a counter-ideology
Nobody would be motivated to do something based on an absence of belief
If they don't think God will help so they do it in the name of atheism, then that's a belief
Personally I find it silly. The goal should be helping people. Not making sure people know the credit goes to those that don't believe in God. It's different for Christians to identify a charity as being Christian because we gather under a shared belief and congregate and worship together. But atheists have said the idea of say an atheist church would be silly. I happen to agree. But I also think making sure people know your charity is atheist is silly too. Do the starving kids care where the food comes from? I would hope it isn't necessary because people will not give to a charity if they think its run by Christians and therefore the need to identify a place as an atheist charitable organization.
It would be nice if people could at least put their differences aside when it comes to helping the needy. And I will also say if the most reputable charity for kids by me happened to be atheist I would donate there. I don't give a crap what someone claims to believe when it comes to charity. I just want to be as sure as I can that my money is getting to the people that need it
You're confused again, atheism isn't an ideology.
But Humanism is , many atheists adhere to that philosophy.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#200856 Jan 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been to either but out of the two you listed I would prefer Singapore.
It's just a passport and plane ride away.

You should go.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#200857 Jan 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That chip on your shoulder sure is teetering.
That plank in your eye sure is festering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min VetnorsGate 1,685,518
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min susanm 326,779
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 32 min Chosen Traveler 35,374
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 46 min Patriot AKA Bozo 12,077
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan 17 Sweet 293
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan 4 NicePhartts 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Dec 24 Randy from Wooster 201,884
More from around the web