Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#200170 Jan 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Really ? The leaders of the religion started by Paul and their literature agrees with Paul ?
ROFLMAO
Did you know that Communists believe in Communism ?
Just as you developed your belief system and came to the place you are now, so has every other person.

I simply note that those specifically interested in a faith, and studied in that faith, have faced the challenges to that faith, and found it to be reasonable.

You did not. You are in a minority. Don't be bitter, get smart.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#200171 Jan 7, 2014
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2014/01/05/wh...

This guy nails it very well regarding the state of modern physics.

There seems to have been a mini explosion of a new way of looking at physics that started in the late seventies and early 80's. Worldwide and independent. The Spring of 1982 was the real birth of it. A curiosity that led to a different perspective and a shift in models more realistic. But we are still entangled in those old models.

Electrical engineers and a different perspective of what is now called the EM force will lead to "talking to the Creator".

Location hidden

#200172 Jan 7, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you ask again.
Was the answer not to your liking?
<quoted text>
Your opinions are yours.
Thanks for sharing.
<quoted text>
The question makes you look like a dumbass.
Are you a dumbass?
That's a rhetorical question, btw.
<quoted text>
It arouses neither in me.
Why does it arouse anger in you?
<quoted text>
I'm not afraid of anything.
What are you afraid of?
<quoted text>
I don't understand what fear is.
Can you explain it to me, homophobe?
A childishly blonde response.

SMile.

Location hidden

#200173 Jan 7, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You should stop being angry.
You can get help.
I can only imagine how that affects your world but I don't because I don't really care.
Smirk
The substance of your responses expose something much different than your intent.

Scoffing is not a characteristic of intelligence or wisdom.

SMile.

Location hidden

#200174 Jan 7, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No your God does NOT take care of his people. He lost his temper and flooded the entire planet thereby killing every man, women, pregnant women and her fetus, babies and children. How is that taking care of his people? He also refuses to help thousands of starving children, most of whom die horribly painful deaths, and sits and ignores the prayers of desperate parents and they watch their children dying of childhood cancers.
I believe that people who believe in things without evidence and for no good reason are dangerous. They are a danger to society and to those around them. I do feel threaten by people who build their lives around superstitious beliefs, and would like nothing better than to force these beliefs on everyone.
The air I breath is produced naturally and no imaginary entity is necessary.
The questions I ask are out of curiosity, curiosity over seemingly intelligent people convinced that an imaginary being, one with no proof whatsoever, is somehow in control of their lives. Curious that these same people will look a scientific evidence that sit there looking at them, and because it is in conflict with their beliefs, pretend it doesn't exist. You don't see these kinds of actions a danger in any way?
I am not asking for your approval, only justification for the unreasonable and highly illogical ideas behind this God thing you worship.
You know he murders innocent little babies, yet you of religion always find some way to justify this horrific act. You know he sits idly by and ignores the prayers of desperate parents. You know he punishes finite crimes with infinite punishment, were is the mercy and compassion and divine justice?
Human law applies capital punishment on extreme violence and evil. Especially when it refuses to be reformed.

God applies that same principle to cultures, and as the Bible makes clear, only after much patience and effort to redeem. Jonah would be an example of man's patience and justice being less than God's.

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#200175 Jan 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
God doesn't have a name.
And please don't tell me that Allah, Jehovah, El or Yahweh are "names".
They are the word "god" in languages other than English.
To me, it's pretty simple. When a person says Zeus, they're talking about Zeus. When they say Odin, they're talking about Odin. When they say God, they're talking about God.
The only way that'd be confusing, or prompt the "which god" question, would be if a person said something about gods.
Funny that because the babble (and just about every online search for “the names of god in the bible”) says otherwise but of course we know how selective you can be with the babble.

Well what are they? If not names, identifiers, labels?

Nope, they are different names in the original language of the babble, not the translated, edited, updated, recompiled you accept as the babble. I think I have already mentioned that the word god did not enter the English language until the 6th century. Are you saying that prior to that you god was called “hey you”? The word god is the interloper here, get used to it.

Well you see Zeus was considered an omnipotent god, Odin was considered an omnipotent god and 2400+ of the other 3700 deities that have been worshipped throughout time have been considered omnipotent gods.

Honey we live in a multicultural society, I have heard that even in America they do, I know, I know, hard to believe when you consider people like you eh? For you to consider that every one thinks in exactly the same way as you do is very egotistical, even condescending.

Location hidden

#200176 Jan 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law condemned only male homosexuality.
The Law condemned all sex outside of marriage. It especially condemned homosexuality and abortion as a culmination of evil in a culture.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#200177 Jan 7, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/w p/2014/01/05/when-mind-games-m asquerade-as-physics-space-new s/
This guy nails it very well regarding the state of modern physics.
There seems to have been a mini explosion of a new way of looking at physics that started in the late seventies and early 80's. Worldwide and independent. The Spring of 1982 was the real birth of it. A curiosity that led to a different perspective and a shift in models more realistic. But we are still entangled in those old models.
Electrical engineers and a different perspective of what is now called the EM force will lead to "talking to the Creator".
Off to the gym.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#200178 Jan 7, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And so back to the grind.
Ahh so please show me the “original” piece of timber…You can show me two (or more) pieces and some sawdust, perhaps even some smoke and possible even some energy but you cannot show me the original because buck has done his lets fook this original piece up with my saw trick.
I did not say that matter was destroyed what I said was that the “ORIGINAL” piece of timber was destroyed. You want to play silly pedantics try it on with buck, he, as the master of foot stomping pedantics can’t win so you as a mere amateur have no chance.
You are talking about the noun without considering the verb, another sign of narrow minded pedantic thinking.
What got (god)? Which of the 3700+ mythical gods are you putting up for the goddidit by magic job because you are too ignorant to comprehend reality and too condescending to consider any other option but your own.
Silly girl. There was no "original" piece of timber. What you had was matter and energy in a transitional phase that you named and identified as a piece of timber in your observation of it. I thought you understood physics and quantum mechanics.

Lovey, according to modern physics an object or entity can only "exist" as that object or entity if the bindings holding it together are stronger than the ambient forces trying to modify it. Otherwise it goes to pieces.

That binding is subject to stresses and strains which modify the process that "created" the object resulting in animation.

Or something like that.

You ain't strong enough to withstand the forces of the universe. If they are random you would not exist. You have a lot of "outside" help in your maintenance.

But those stresses and strains can affect your "thinking". A certain amount of meditation can help keep you centered, but it can be difficult to get started to even find that center when you are awash in confusion. Perhaps your doctor can help. Ativan is good, just don't over do it. That one pill at night before going to sleep will help you a lot. Getting off of it is a bitch, but once you get headed in the right direction you can do it.

Good morning from America, sweetness.

Location hidden

#200179 Jan 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer...D) All of the above.
That you consider these "facts" is not surprising. But that does not make them facts. They are your opinions, and very biased ones at that.
And yet, you once again fail to specifically explain why they are opinion and not fact.

It would be a very simple thing to do if YOUR opinion were true.

SMile.

#200180 Jan 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
WTF?!
I can usually translate women into English but you take the cake, lady.
Are you showing you misogynous side here? I will make it easier for the hard of understanding

“You rarely know what I am talking about”– got that?

“so why the fook should I know what you are talking about” and have you got that?

There that was easy even for a misogynous prat like you
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I just gotta revisit this one.....
ChristineM wrote:
I often see you type in France shouting at the top of there lungs in English as if shouting louder will make them understood to the French.
And of course it is absolute truth, just sit outside Les Iles on La Place de la Liberte in Sarlat (or any café in any French town geared for tourism for that matter) on a market day and watch the fun.

Location hidden

#200181 Jan 7, 2014
An interesting passage affirming what science recognizes as the constraint of marriage on mating behvior;

Matthew 19:4-6 (NASB)
4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5 and said,'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

But even more interesting is the followup answer to the disciples about options to marriage;

Matthew 19:10-12 (NASB)
10 The disciples *said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry."
11 But He said to them, "Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given.
12 "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

The first of three types of eunuchs Jesus notes is clearly homosexuals. The option he clearly gives to sex outside of marriage is celibacy.

SMile.

Location hidden

#200182 Jan 7, 2014
Still waiting for someone to explain the description of radiation given in Exodus when Moses received the Law from the Alien.

SMile.

#200183 Jan 7, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Got strawman? You filthy trollip. Youre wiggling like a fish. You swallered my bait hook line and sinker. You projected what "it" was. Dirty gal. And now im not telling you what I was referring to as "it". No wonder youre not a Christian, youre too jizzy. Bobloblah had you pegged.
There ya go again allowing your christian filthy mind to make up BS, is it any wonder that christinaity is on the decline.

And now you admit you laid the bait yet you have already denied laying the bait, how terribly childish of you. Do you actually think that everyone is as stupid as you?

I am not a christian because christianity is infested with sad and muddled perverts like you

Ahh you remember nobgobbler, yes a real christian that one, he defended the abuse of children by priests, just you type.

#200184 Jan 7, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I really can't remember just what the question was without going back an number of posts to find it. If i remember I'll ask again whatever it was.
Of course you're right, the Catholic Church has literally gotten away with centuries of criminal activity without ever being held accountable. Why Catholics are not completely embarrassed, I'll never know.
If you remember please feel free…

Catholics are christian, a branch worshippers who bow to the abrahamic god. All they have to do is shrug their shoulders and pray to their god for forgiveness and all the hatreds and abuses and pain and torture and crime they commit is all OK, it’s the magic of the abrahamic religions.

Some Jews condone murdering Muslims with the excuse that god said it was OK

Some Muslims condone terrorism and murdering of anyone who is not Muslim with the same excuse

Some christians condone just about any atrocity (genocide, child murder, child abuse, rape, slavery, terrorism, torture etc) with the same excuse.

It’s all a matter of state of mind, if you think that worshipping your god can excuse you any atrocity then there is no need for embarrassment because god said it was OK. After all there is nothing in those atrocities that are not taught in the Tanakh, Babble and Quran and nothing that there god has not done, advised or condoned.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#200185 Jan 7, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law condemned all sex outside of marriage. It especially condemned homosexuality and abortion as a culmination of evil in a culture.
Wonder if you could quote that scrip on abortion? Specifically.

#200186 Jan 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. That's what bothers you about the Christmas holiday - breach of tradition.
Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha h....
I have no problem with the Christmas holiday juts so long as christians admit it’s origin rather than lying and denying in the face of the evidence the source of the celebration.

Same with Eostre (oops Easter)

#200187 Jan 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I am embarassed - that I elevated your dishonesty by applying my intellect to it.
Lose with some dignity. You'll feel better in the long run.
Remember your Infinite Donut embarassment.
You are embarrassed, then you cannot be a true godbot

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#200188 Jan 7, 2014
KiMare wrote:
An interesting passage affirming what science recognizes as the constraint of marriage on mating behvior;
Matthew 19:4-6 (NASB)
4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5 and said,'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
But even more interesting is the followup answer to the disciples about options to marriage;
Matthew 19:10-12 (NASB)
10 The disciples *said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry."
11 But He said to them, "Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given.
12 "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."
The first of three types of eunuchs Jesus notes is clearly homosexuals. The option he clearly gives to sex outside of marriage is celibacy.
SMile.
Not so much. "Eunuch" is not used metaphorically here - it was an actual birth defect or castration.

What Jesus is advocating is that men undergo castration rather than suffer the sin of lust, and this allegedly to God's glory.

Turns God's first commandment to mankind right on it's......ear.

Obviously this is an interpolation by the early Pauline orthodoxy. Paul was asexual, with the result of his "example" being an hierarchy of quasi-celibate priests.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#200189 Jan 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You still can't get it right, dumbass.
The 6 did not "waffle". They did not participate. Yet they were cited as participatiing anyway.
Of the remaining 4, 3 had no expertise on the subject, and the one who did admitted he didn't read the book.
And no, it is not a matter of Barton "saying so". The matter is one of Barton backing up his research with primary source documentation. And he does.
You have no case. Next.
Buck, in logic this is called a "Red Herring". It is a device used to sidetrack the debate from other issues and focus it on one single issue.

Even if you are right about this (and you aren't) you have completely failed to address the many, many other points that have been made showing Barton is confabulating. You think that if you can prove them wrong ONCE that you have proved them wrong in every case.

Even if not a single conservative Christian historian said Barton is wrong, there are many, many OTHER historians that have said he is wrong. And they have proved it, using original sources.

And I can hear you now..."They are liberals and therefore liars." Can you say "ad hominem"? In the original and very real sense.

Barton, on the other hand, rarely uses original sources. And when he does, he cherry picks. What he does is almost exactly the same as what creationist quote miners do. sHe has sometimes based his material on other Dominionist writings, and it has turned out the quotes Barton presents are fakes. And on a few occasions Barton had made up quotes out of whole cloth and rationalized it was OK because he knew how the Founding Fathers thought. In the case of Jefferson, he almost completely ignored Jefferson's personal correspondence. Jefferson's views, expressed in his own words to his friends and associates, show Barton's claims about Jefferson to be false. Some of the site I gave references to give very conclusive evidence of this.

But you are just going to come back as say it is all lies. And provide no evidence to support your claim, just as you always do.

Oh, you might go so far as to say person X said Y and here is evidence Y is false...and then claim that shows the everything is false.

Your logic is a joke Buck. And the sad thing is you COULD learn if you put your mind to it. But you are so much more comfortable letting your authority figures (like Barton) tell you what to think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,656,147
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min Sasyjm 321,927
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Chosen Traveler 35,081
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 5 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 11,894
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web