Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#200107 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There are basically three types of Biblical law;
1. Moral law
B. Ceremonial law
3. Civic law
The last two are passe, the first still applies.
The Torah has 613 laws, the Ten Commandments and 603 Law of Moses.
We Christians have the two laws of Christ, love God with your whole heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.
Sorry I didn't see this before as I was on my phone

I even get a different number of total posts when using my phone so some must not show up for some reason

Anyway, I agree the only two 'laws' we are under are basically the two greatest commandments

Although I guess for anyone who doesn't believe in the Trinity, they would also have to include blasphemy against the Spirit

But yeah, everything is basically covered by the two greatest commandments
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#200108 Jan 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Lets not forget the thousands of young women that were kept as "The spoils of war" as God declared to Moses. "But keep only those who have not laid with man." So these thousands of young women were lined up and a test was performed to confirm that they were all virgins. Can you image what kind of test that might have been? can you even begin to understand the humiliation these young girls experienced, all on orders from your kind and loving God. Oh yeah, they to had fences around them, and stood for hours and days on end as these barbaric test were performed, and their reward for having passed the test, given to a sex starved soldier. If they failed the test, their reward was a sword driven through their gut.
I think I'd prefer to watch the dogs devour Kim uncle than sit and watch the horror these young innocent girls went through. Kind, compassionate, loving, merciful, caring, yep, thats your God at his best!!!!
Your imagination is running away Doctor.

Please supply the names and count of these spoils at war.

On this gynecological examination you talk about I would like to see where this was explained.

Of course I donít really expect you to answer. Atheist ask the questions but donít really answer them.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#200109 Jan 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I seriously doubt you could even stand on a pair of hockey skates, let along rag a puck. I played in hight school and for 10 years in an adult no check league, I also coach for 15 years, skates three time a week. I do believe my team as fill your net with pucks, there just doesn't seem to be any more room, can't even squeeze another one in. I think the refs have invoked the mercy rule, now pick your ass up off the ice and slink on outta the rink.
[laughing]

Iím not a snow bird Doctor but with all the snow we received the last few days, Iím starting to be.

But for all us Southern Belleís we have air hockey.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#200110 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry I didn't see this before as I was on my phone
I even get a different number of total posts when using my phone so some must not show up for some reason
Anyway, I agree the only two 'laws' we are under are basically the two greatest commandments
Although I guess for anyone who doesn't believe in the Trinity, they would also have to include blasphemy against the Spirit
But yeah, everything is basically covered by the two greatest commandments
Jesus' third commandment is what sets Him apart from almost every other religious figure on Earth. It is also the most difficult of all commandments to follow.

"Love your enemies." - Jesus

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#200111 Jan 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Your imagination is running away Doctor.

Please supply the names and count of these spoils at war.

On this gynecological examination you talk about I would like to see where this was explained.

Of course I don’t really expect you to answer. Atheist ask the questions but don’t really answer them.

You forgot how to log in didn't you?

Location hidden

#200112 Jan 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
LOL
Skomboneurosis vs Drongo.
You two should just head butt each other and get it over with.
Good one Dignity Virgin

Now don't go switching socks after I took time to think of that!

Location hidden

#200113 Jan 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' third commandment is what sets Him apart from almost every other religious figure on Earth. It is also the most difficult of all commandments to follow.
"Love your enemies." - Jesus
Agreed

Location hidden

#200114 Jan 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>It's all good.

Each of us reacts differently to others' personalities, because of our own personality.

IANS' take on RR is very different from mine. He sees a positive side; I don't. IANS' take on Dave is different from mine. IANS has no room for Dave; I feel for him. Then there's nano: IANS' take, yours, mine, are all different.

You should take pride that, no matter who it is or what beliefs s/he has, nobody here has no respect for you; quite the contrary. I can't think of anybody else who fits that bill.
I think the Dave Nelson is beyond words of rationale.

Bucky duck is repugnant, deeply stoopid and pig headed, good for a laugh though, with all the drooling and whatnot.

I had hope for RR for quite awhile but now he's just something to practice on and look down upon.

Shrinkie is still my pet troll, the others are just not as clever or honestly batshit crazy.

Location hidden

#200115 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Good one Dignity Virgin

Now don't go switching socks after I took time to think of that!
Changing names on exact same profile is having socks?

How easy it is to get you to talk to me, are you gonna fight me now bro?

Cool name, I like it.

Peace yo!

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#200116 Jan 6, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
No to McDowell but various scholars. You should read McDowell though and few others to get up to speed.
First you said "an attorney", and now you say "various scholars". It seems you're not really sure. Since I have read his, as well as "various scholars" whose books still rest on the shelf here, it looks like it's you that's still stuck in Sunday School gear. McDowell and Strobel are among the most successful apologists of the age, and neither was an attorney. Strobel played at being a journalist, but not very well.

The 12 would not include Judas Matthias who also saw the risen Christ. He took the place of Judas and to do so it was required that he saw the risen Christ.

You need to do alot better if you are going to refute this.
A lot better?

Dude, all you need to do is read your Bible.

Matthias wasn't "picked" until after the ascension, so how could he be one of "the Twelve" to whom Jesus appeared?

And nowhere in the Bible is he called "Judas Matthias". I suspect you're just making this up as you go.

Ignorance itself is no sin; ignorance coupled with rudeness appears to be a Christian hallmark..

“"None shall pass"”

There

#200117 Jan 6, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>A lot better?
.... I suspect you're just making this up as you go.......
That's Christianity!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200118 Jan 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I think he'd have to say that allowing ONLY gay marriage is not discriminatory if it applies to everybody. Rather than quibble the point, I prefer to give Buck the word and invoke the Golden Rule instead. Is the act just and kind, or does it diminish some lives in the service of irrational, faith-based values? I suspect that you would agree that that's what matters here, not whether we call such unkindness discrimination or not.
Buck Crick wrote:
Allowing only same-sex marriage would not be discriminatory, if it applied to everyone. The objections would have to come from other aspects of it.
I said that I wouldn't quibble over the word.

Whatever language you choose to couch it in, banning gay marriage remains irrational, unkind, and serves no better purpose than to satisfy religious bigotry. That anyone would fight to maintain that ban in the name of faith is a potent argument against faith and the products of faith based thinking.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#200120 Jan 6, 2014
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Kim-Jong Un is an Atheist Doctor. And he fed his Uncle to the dogs. It's well known for some time about the Human Rights Violations in North Korea. And that good ole boy fellow Atheist of yours likes to starve his people while his fat *ss eats steak every evening.
Yeah, he's one of yours so stop trying to say he something else, he's Atheist. Don't it make you proud?!
Kim being an atheist does not make him "one of ours." The only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in god.

Also, the interesting thing about NK is that even though they are "officially" an atheist country, they actually operate like a cult. There is a very powerful and pervasive cult of personality surrounding the Kim family, so much so that people literally worship him. Atheism is "enforced" there for a practical reason - they can't have people worshiping a god when the ruling party needs them to worship the kims.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#200121 Jan 6, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> By your logic there is must be no difference between a murderer and the judge who orders the murderer to fry in the electric chair. I think it has something to do with authority. In theory (since you do not believe in God) the Almighty provides life and can take it away. Kim Jong is abusing his authority since he is supposed to take care of his people and administer proper justice. God on the other hand can dispose of life any way He chooses. The account is meant as a warning of things to come.
Lol.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#200122 Jan 7, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Kim being an atheist does not make him "one of ours." The only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in god.
Also, the interesting thing about NK is that even though they are "officially" an atheist country, they actually operate like a cult. There is a very powerful and pervasive cult of personality surrounding the Kim family, so much so that people literally worship him. Atheism is "enforced" there for a practical reason - they can't have people worshiping a god when the ruling party needs them to worship the kims.
Much like the deification of Emperors in China, Japan and the Roman Empire. To claim ultimate authority of everyone.

It is also why Jesus was deified in the Roman sect of Christianity and why deifying a human (Jesus) was easily accepted, it had been the norm for hundreds of years.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#200124 Jan 7, 2014
What would Jesus say about Modern Christianity ?

"ďNeglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the traditions of men. You nicely set aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. You invalidate the Word of God by your tradition which you have handed down, and you do many things such as thatĒ(Mark 7:8,9,13).

Doesn't sound like a guy who was going to abolish Judaism and the Torah does it ?

Jesus also said that ALL the Law was in effect and covered under "Love God, Love your neighbor."

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him,'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.' " - Matthew 22:36-40

Location hidden

#200125 Jan 7, 2014
Another fine example of christian (lack of) love.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/01/gay-educat...

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200126 Jan 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I said that I wouldn't quibble over the word.
Whatever language you choose to couch it in, banning gay marriage remains irrational, unkind, and serves no better purpose than to satisfy religious bigotry. That anyone would fight to maintain that ban in the name of faith is a potent argument against faith and the products of faith based thinking.
But the argument used against the ban relies on it being discriminatory and unconstitutional.

It is not.

Is honesty the burden of only one side?

Is a victory won through dishonesty sufficient?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#200127 Jan 7, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bail on me again with ad homoan attacks and scoffing masquerading as intelligence.
~The result of a duplicate gender relationship is not distinct from the union of diverse genders?
~The intimate expression of oneness is not poorly mimicked in anal abuse?
~The barren desolation of a ss couple is not inferior to the fruit a marriage produces?
That's just a start of simple obvious facts.
SMile.
<quoted text>
Oh, here we go again.
Which of the three points is a prejudice and not a fact?
SMile.
Answer...D) All of the above.

That you consider these "facts" is not surprising. But that does not make them facts. They are your opinions, and very biased ones at that.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200128 Jan 7, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask god why the current weather is trying to kill us. Hell, I live near Cleveland - isn't that punishment enough?
Easy. It's global warming - the scourge of white heterosexual capitalist males of European descent.

Like everything else.

Hope this is helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min faux 1,747,077
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min susanm 337,168
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Wisdom of Ages 12,336
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Chosen Traveler 35,814
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mar 28 Lonnie Peters 201,480
News Purdue and IU? On Valentine's day? Not anymore (Feb '07) Mar '18 Painter Phartse 73
News Walker IV hits 5 3s, scores 19, Miami beats Not... Feb '18 ScoresPhartse 2