Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256108 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#199815 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you conformed to the Christian norm and chose 25th December to celebrate. An arbitrary date that has a 1 in 365 chance of actually being the date of Yeshua ben Pentera’s (alias Judas of Galilee alias Judas of the Sicarii) date of birth.
And I should think you will conform and celebrate Eostre (oops easter) on April 20th this year eh?
Yes you certainly need conformity to be a good christian, except of course those cults of christianity that don’t celebrate christmas.
LMAO!!

"Yeshua ben Pentera".......

Before your Christmas break, you were swearing it was about Saturn.

Make up your mind.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#199816 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, der.
I'm a Christian that happens to speak English.
So I say "God".
Why is that difficult to comprehend?
I am not a christian who happen to speak English as my first language and I am aware that the entire world is not christian and I am also aware that over the last 10,000 years gods have come and gods have gone in the minds of the vast majority of human beings who ever lived.

So what you say is pretty much irrelevant.

I do guess which god you are referring to because you are christian, the abrahamic god as worshipped by christian, Hebrew and Muslim alike. The god you only have one name for yet several other names exist for that same god, a point which you have recently denied. However why should I rely on guesswork, after all I am not christian.

#199817 Jan 6, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If dinos went extinct millions or years ago, how did they come up with them depictions? Sometimes the problem is not with the evidence.
Ever seen a lizard?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199818 Jan 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Dishonest pretence.
Yes, you are being dishonest.

All morning I've been trying to keep you on track about sexual immorality and you keep changing it to homosexuality.

#199819 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
Are you aware that we live past the 6th century?
If I was speaking German, I wouldn't say "God", I'd say "Gott".
And if you were speaking German, you still ask "die Gott?"
Go figure.
And yet you are (arguably) speaking modern English so you use the modern English version of the root word.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#199820 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m sure I’m not HFY, there is a small matter of a couple of continents, almost 6000 miles and probably 20 years, but I take notice of much of what she says, very well educated in her fields and extremely intelligent. So I appreciate your confusion.
Oh sorry, was your quote not taken from a book written some 20+ years after events in a country some 3000 miles away from events in the period when the anti Hitler hatred was at it’s peak?
You are employing the genetic fallacy, among other basic fallacies.

Aside from being fallacious in its reasoning, your remark is otherwise stupid.

Generally, more is known about an event 20 years after than while it is occurring in real time.

You are an idiot.

You also reject the evidence presented at the Nuremberg trials which prove Hitler and the Nazis were not Christian. And that occurred in 1945.

The evidence you accept is whatever agrees with your nutty opinions. It doesn't matter to you when or where it comes from.

You are a blithering idiot.

#199821 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Christian.
When I talk about God, you should know which god I'm referring to.
The lack of intellect of the Topix Atheist! never ceases to amaze me.
You rarely know what I am talking about so why the fook should I know what you are talking about, I find that comment very self centred and vain and actually quite ignorant

I often see you type in France shouting at the top of there lungs in English as if shouting louder will make them understood to the French. Quite pathetic really.

Location hidden

#199822 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you conformed to the Christian norm and chose 25th December to celebrate. An arbitrary date that has a 1 in 365 chance of actually being the date of Yeshua ben Pentera’s (alias Judas of Galilee alias Judas of the Sicarii) date of birth.
And I should think you will conform and celebrate Eostre (oops easter) on April 20th this year eh?
Yes you certainly need conformity to be a good christian, except of course those cults of christianity that don’t celebrate christmas.
When you make a holiday to commemorate something, you have to pick a day.

You can't take every day off just to be sure you get the right one.

Bwahahahhaahahahahahahah....

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#199823 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The original piece of timber was destroyed
I have never mentioned axes or stones, I did not make that claim, you accuse me of making that claim, there is a difference. On one side is me making the claim (which I did not do) on the other is you saying I made the claim (a lie)
Tell me why do you think is necessary to make up lying BS?
You really must be loosing it if that’s what you have to do.
I hope you enjoyed your Yule/Saturnalia/Winter Solstice break and I wish you a happy New Year – really.
The original piece of timber was not destroyed. It was modified in its dimensions. Just as the tree that piece of timber was formed from was modified. It just became different "objects".

You can't destroy matter, sweetie, remember? You just change its relative values of energy.

There is no difference between that sharp stone and a carbide blade as to how that modification is done.

You mentioned weaving and dyes and other things saying they were effects of "science". Science is a study of how things are put together and manipulated. It is a product of our existence, and not the causation of it. Your association of that with there being no higher creative force was disingenuous.

The ability for mankind to do "science" did not spring up out of nowhere. It is a result of being a chip off the old block that created man that got developed.

I enjoyed my peaceful Christmas and New Year. Thank you for your wishes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199824 Jan 6, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Does that contract state further that,
"Surely I say unto you that until heaven and earth depart not one jot or tittle shall be abolished from this contract until all is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these clauses and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the building, but whoever practices and teaches these clauses will be called great in the building"?
Sounds like an open-ended perpetual warranty to me.
In the context of Jesus' statement, he was not saying it was complete, but that it would be fully implemented in himself and his followers, for all earthly time.
Hyper-selection is self-serving. Total context is key to understanding. Think about it, all ocher fishes aside.
Jesus didn't suggest that the law of Moses would remain forever in effect.

That view would contradict everything we learn from the balance of the New Testament.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:23–25
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

Ephesians 2:15
by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199825 Jan 6, 2014
AnnieJ wrote:
We can all perceive discrimination in a manner that makes us feel as if we do not discriminate.
You gave the answer to this question once but I don't remember exactly what your response was...
If one of your sons came to you and said..."Dad I am gay.". What would your response to that be...how would you feel...and all those other questions that parents face?
Compare that to your feelings toward your son now...believing that he is heterosexual. When you compare those two feelings...your reactions...do they look the same...or does all of a sudden your feelings change?
We all have some amount of bigotry toward something...especially when we do not agree with it or don't understand. To deny that we don't have some amount closes the door toward being able to eliminate that bigotry.
I think you try RR...I think that you have probably worked on it...I think that you have probably made great strides. To those it affects, however small that bigotry might be, it is still detectable...seen lying beneath some of the statements you make.
If you do not discriminate against gays...then if your son announces to you that he is gay...you will tell him you love him...open your arms up to him and say..."You are my son...you always will be.".
Sometimes we have to look in to the abyss RR and realize that all we see is our own reflection.
I used to say that if my son was gay, I'd disown him. Those were my words and I'll own up to them.

Fortunately, I have since changed my stance on that. If my son came out and told me that he's gay, I certainly wouldn't like it, I might not talk to him for a time, but I'd still love him.

I've been open and honest about my opinion of homosexuality. I can absolutely accept gays in our culture and even in my life, but I will never consider them as normal.

And because of that outlook, the Topix Atheist! labels me a homophobe.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199826 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a christian who happen to speak English as my first language and I am aware that the entire world is not christian and I am also aware that over the last 10,000 years gods have come and gods have gone in the minds of the vast majority of human beings who ever lived.
So what you say is pretty much irrelevant.
I do guess which god you are referring to because you are christian, the abrahamic god as worshipped by christian, Hebrew and Muslim alike. The god you only have one name for yet several other names exist for that same god, a point which you have recently denied. However why should I rely on guesswork, after all I am not christian.
No.

God doesn't have a name.

And please don't tell me that Allah, Jehovah, El or Yahweh are "names".

They are the word "god" in languages other than English.

To me, it's pretty simple. When a person says Zeus, they're talking about Zeus. When they say Odin, they're talking about Odin. When they say God, they're talking about God.

The only way that'd be confusing, or prompt the "which god" question, would be if a person said something about gods.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#199827 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That view would contradict everything we learn from the balance of the New Testament.
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,
by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,
I'm surprised you leave me to point out again that the case can't be made without invoking Paul.

Jesus never said it, nor anything like it, and in fact, says the opposite. Paul never met Jesus, nor does Paul ever refer to a single specific teaching of Jesus. Paul was going off on his own dime.

Of course this has been debated before. My favorite reply was John Coffey's, who said God kept it a secret from Jesus so Satan wouldn't find out until it was too late

I know, right? That was a lot of fun....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199828 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
You rarely know what I am talking about so why the fook should I know what you are talking about, I find that comment very self centred and vain and actually quite ignorant
I often see you type in France shouting at the top of there lungs in English as if shouting louder will make them understood to the French. Quite pathetic really.
ChristineM wrote:
I often see you type in France shouting at the top of there lungs in English as if shouting louder will make them understood to the French.
WTF?!

I can usually translate women into English but you take the cake, lady.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199829 Jan 6, 2014
I just gotta revisit this one.....

ChristineM wrote:
I often see you type in France shouting at the top of there lungs in English as if shouting louder will make them understood to the French.

Location hidden

#199830 Jan 6, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The original piece of timber was not destroyed. It was modified in its dimensions. Just as the tree that piece of timber was formed from was modified. It just became different "objects".
You can't destroy matter, sweetie, remember? You just change its relative values of energy.
There is no difference between that sharp stone and a carbide blade as to how that modification is done.
You mentioned weaving and dyes and other things saying they were effects of "science". Science is a study of how things are put together and manipulated. It is a product of our existence, and not the causation of it. Your association of that with there being no higher creative force was disingenuous.
The ability for mankind to do "science" did not spring up out of nowhere. It is a result of being a chip off the old block that created man that got developed.
I enjoyed my peaceful Christmas and New Year. Thank you for your wishes.
"And on the seventh day, Science rested".

-The Gospel of Christinemc^2; Chapter 1.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#199831 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You clearly don't understand Scripture. It'd be a good idea if you stop trying.
Wherever scripture is vague ambiguous, it means whatever each reader wants it to mean. Nobody has the authority to overrule anybody else.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199832 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

HipGnosis wrote:
I'm surprised you leave me to point out again that the case can't be made without invoking Paul.
Jesus never said it, nor anything like it, and in fact, says the opposite. Paul never met Jesus, nor does Paul ever refer to a single specific teaching of Jesus. Paul was going off on his own dime.
Of course this has been debated before. My favorite reply was John Coffey's, who said God kept it a secret from Jesus so Satan wouldn't find out until it was too late
I know, right? That was a lot of fun....
I accept your concession.

I see you red herring and raise you an ad hominem.

You're stupid.

Location hidden

#199833 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
God doesn't have a name.
And please don't tell me that Allah, Jehovah, El or Yahweh are "names".
They are the word "god" in languages other than English.
To me, it's pretty simple. When a person says Zeus, they're talking about Zeus. When they say Odin, they're talking about Odin. When they say God, they're talking about God.
The only way that'd be confusing, or prompt the "which god" question, would be if a person said something about gods.
The "which god" question is not a question, it is simply a ruse to suggest an equivalence between the Judeo-Christian concept of one god, and Zeus, Appollo, and all those guys.

There is no argument behind it. It is simply a tool for annoyance.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#199834 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Holy crap, you gather with people to watch Jeopardy?!? I didn't know you were THAT old.
Do you think that you could keep up with us? Do you think that you could keep up with me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Realtime 1,406,019
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Wed Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Wed ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Wed IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web