Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258490 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#198137 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What thefuck did you just call me?!
Heuristics are mental shortcuts.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198138 Jan 1, 2014
Duck Dynasty is going to b good this year.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#198139 Jan 1, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Fair enough on point one. I'm surprised he used the term.
Although as far as point two, what does free speech have to do with it? I didn't question someone's right to use hate speech and rhetoric. I questioned their choice to and what I feel than can indicate. It's why the political divide is as wide as it is IMO and why we have such gridlock and non-partisanship in Congress. The need to demonize the other side has taken priority over everything else.
And I have no problems with critics. It is part of the appeal of being an American; that we can openly criticize our government. I just think people can do it without the labeling, hate, and rhetoric. The issues barely get any real play as it becomes all about the personal mudslinging. And I question how a patriot would see that method as one that is best for the country
While I don't think you or any poster I've ever seen on topix has questioned free speech I see the direction we are moving as quite dangerous. Its why I asked happylesbo her thoughts on churches that stand on the gospel. I see a church that says sin is wrong and freaks like Westboro Baptist as miles apart. Having said that if/when government has a say in what hate speech is it won't be good for anyone imo. Many feel the guy on Duck Dynasty was hateful, I don't. He also said that he like any unsaved man was doomed and guilty and while he did speak on homosexuality he also spoke of sin in general (liar, thief ect) And while I do agree with you little good comes from people that demonize one another what do you expect? I take it personally when any elected person calls me a terrorist because they don't like my thoughts. The only thing in recent history to my mind was Nixon (just before my time) and to me this is worse. I see it to stay quite ugly and this is quite sad because I do think the Obama admin could have played certain things better.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198140 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
What's with all the name calling, man?

Make love, not war.

Just now with me, k?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198141 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes but we still have New Year's Day, Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, Saint Basil's Day, Twelfth Night, Epiphany Eve, Epiphany and Armenian Apostolic Christmas. Let's be tolerant, we **have to** include everyone... It's not Happy New Year, it's still Happy Holidays.
Thanks, but if you don't mind, I'd rather not be considered an idiot by people after explaining to them why I'm still saying "Happy Holidays" well into January.- a guy named Riverside Redneck on the Internet instructed me to do so after pointing out to me that there were more holidays in January.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198142 Jan 1, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
While I don't think you or any poster I've ever seen on topix has questioned free speech I see the direction we are moving as quite dangerous. Its why I asked happylesbo her thoughts on churches that stand on the gospel. I see a church that says sin is wrong and freaks like Westboro Baptist as miles apart. Having said that if/when government has a say in what hate speech is it won't be good for anyone imo. Many feel the guy on Duck Dynasty was hateful, I don't. He also said that he like any unsaved man was doomed and guilty and while he did speak on homosexuality he also spoke of sin in general (liar, thief ect) And while I do agree with you little good comes from people that demonize one another what do you expect? I take it personally when any elected person calls me a terrorist because they don't like my thoughts. The only thing in recent history to my mind was Nixon (just before my time) and to me this is worse. I see it to stay quite ugly and this is quite sad because I do think the Obama admin could have played certain things better.
I understand what you are saying

And I am not naive as to how we got here and why

These kind of things escalate on both sides and keep going

Neither side is blameless

I just would like to see both sides make an effort to start getting away from it. It can be done. But it is going to be a slow process. But I don't think it will happen at all when people attack those in their own party for attempting bi-partisanship. That is the whole point of compromise is that some things are going to be unpopular in order to get some things that people want.

But people also don't want to work with each other when obviously it is a poor working relationship. It all ties in together. And if Congress can't be professional enough to do it, it is going to be the people that suffer. Or suffer more I should say

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#198143 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh gross.
Korean warmed tortilla technique....
Stick to rice and dirt soup.
A stereotype is a kind of heuristic.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198144 Jan 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be the first to praise him if he did, but we both know that isn't going to happen. Dave learns from strings, twigs, and magnets, not books. He has no respect for book learnin'.
Only those that think book learning exclusively is actual learning.

Books introduce you to things that you need to build upon to understand. Brains are supposed to be something more than buckets.

For all your talk, IANS, you are still just a pew warmer reciting verses you heard. You have dendrites that are supposed to modify the nerves feeding your brain, doing the nuance and total consciousness thingy that seem to have rotted at an earlier age. Your mental growth got stunted.

I said you read books but you are so focused on the input of your eyes and getting smart you aren't pulling together other knowledge and experiences to make a complete picture of what you are reading about. Myopia of consciousness.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198145 Jan 1, 2014
Just some fun facts about births.

In 2010 more newborns arrived in September than in any other month.

Those coooooooold winters makes for good romance.

Age of first-time moms

Over the last three decades, women have been waiting longer to start having children. In 1970 the average age of a first-time mother was about 21. In 2008 the average age was 25.1

Here's how the numbers played out among U.S. women in 2009.

Ages 15 to 19: The number of births fell 6 percent.
Ages 20 to 24: The number of births fell 3 percent.
Ages 25 to 29: The number of births fell 2 percent.
Ages 30 to 34: The number of births declined slightly.
Ages 35 to 39: The number of births fell 3 percent.
Ages 40 to 44: The number of births declined slightly.
Age 45 and over: The number of births increased slightly.

Just over 4 million babies are born in the United States each year, and the details of how, when, and where they arrive are always shifting.

The biggest news this year is that the U.S. birth rate is still slumping down 3 percent in 2010 from 2009. "Birth rate" is an estimate of the average number of births a group of women will have over their lifetime. The U.S. birth rate grew every year from 2003 to 2007 and has been declining since.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_surprising-facts-...

Location hidden

#198146 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
"Couples shouldn't get married until they are at least 21." That's a quote from Eagle 12.
My wife was a little older than me when we got married. She was 22 and I was 19. I've always had a thing for older sexy women.
Here's another heuristic.

People don't just become ready for marriage at a certain age.

Eagle's heuristic seems to be based on the average of his age and his wife's age when they were married.

“Miles from Nowhere”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#198147 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh gross.
Korean warmed tortilla technique....
Stick to rice and dirt soup.
Have you seen my kitty?

I'm not sure if that's a euphemism or not...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198148 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good call, Skom. Let it go.
You have no power, no control.
Realizing that isn't easy.
Or something like that.
No power?

Hey I turn things over to God. Just after I handle them my way.

Wait, am I supposed to do that first?

Now someone finally tells me. I blame everyone else!

:)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198149 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Make love, not war.
Just now with me, k?
Well that came out all wrong.....

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198150 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
At Christmas, say Merry Christmas. Just like today you're saying happy New Years, not happy holiday.
I say Merry Christmas to Christians on Christmas, and in a few other instances. I say Happy Holidays in most other circumstances. That's not going to change. And I reject these cynical guesses at what my motives or state of mind are when I do it. I have no agenda apart from being inclusive. There is no spite or malice in my choice of language. How can anybody justify assuming anything else?

If I wanted to be spiteful, I would use "Merry Xmas."

Location hidden

#198151 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Make love, not war.
Just now with me, k?
I'm busy just now.

“Miles from Nowhere”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#198152 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a male cat that loves me.
No, you don't.

He's a cat.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198153 Jan 1, 2014
Thanks, but if you don't mind, I'd rather not be considered an idiot by people after explaining to them why I'm still saying "Happy Holidays" well into January.- a guy named Riverside Redneck on the Internet instructed me to do so after pointing out to me that there were more holidays in January.
It's the source, isn't it?

You don't like where the source of the info came from.

It's just very odd that "Happy Holidays" ends December 26th, even though people like you include New Years into the array of holidays that "Happy Holidays" is about.

I wish y'all would just be honest about it and admit you don't like Christmas because of it's tie to a religion you don't like and because of that, you don't want to say Merry Christmas.

I wish y'all would just admit that "Happy Holidays" replaces "Merry Christmas" and nothing else.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198154 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Here you go, Dave - from Billy Mays (RIP):
http://greatinventions.tv/products/117.php
Who remembers Billy and his untimely death in June 2009, after several other celebrities died that same week, including Ed McMahon (6/23), Farah Fawcett 25), and Michael Jackson (6/25)? There is a superstition that celebrity deaths come in threes, so when Michael died, everybody thought it was over.[See "Jackson, Fawcett, McMahon: The Celebrity Death Rule of Three" (6/25/09) at http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/06/25/jac... ]
Then Billy died on the 28th. Wasn't it just like Billy to throw in one absolutely free?
I dunno. I didn't know who or what Billy Mays was until your post and me looking him up.

I'm not one for watching TV or otherwise being instructed by your Master's Voice.

Your celebrities are not mine.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198155 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
A stereotype is a kind of heuristic.
Ok, I'm interested.

Wiki says:

"Heuristic...refers to experience-based techniques for problem solving, learning, and discovery that give a solution which is not guaranteed to be optimal. Where the exhaustive search is impractical, heuristic methods are used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution via mental shortcuts to ease the cognitive load of making a decision.

Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, stereotyping, or common sense."

Teach me more, master.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198156 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I thought it was what call girls do to maintain flexibility

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Denny CranesPlace 1,509,054
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr silly rabbit 313,660
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr AnyonePhartss 32,820
News Buzzer-beating shot lifts Florida over Wisconsi... 20 hr BuzzerPhartss 2
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar 16 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar 15 Bath phart 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 14 Into The Night 11,123
More from around the web