Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255564 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#197817 Dec 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
LOL
You gave one example, Shepard Smith, on a 24 hour news station that isn't editorialized news
And whether or not someone is an ideologue doesn't have anything to do with the point that it is editorialized
If you think one example to the contrary disproves "almost all" you have already swayed me back that you are as stupid as I thought. I mean the name thing was clever but this was beyond retarded.
And you seem to have a very poor grasp on what constitutes a lie
But thanks for the warning. I am just grateful I am safe where you and your tiny dick that causes you overcompensate so much with the constant self-puffery and posts about how tough and intimidating you are can't do me any physical harm! Whew, that is a relief. And as scary as it sounds, I think I will continue to respond if you persist it making stupid posts to me distorting what I said
Stop it, Skom.

You don't even watch Fox News, you have no ground to judge them.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#197818 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the man-hole covers? Lol
Christmas isn't good for business.
Santa and "Holiday" are.
LOl, yeah that was stupider than the blackboard ones!

Makes me wonder what will be next

But yeah, the absolute last reason most people do it is inclusion. It is either being anti-Christian or being forced or a marketing decision. Normally its the money that is behind it.

Here's the thing too, Christmas has been totally intertwined with secular society and is celebrated secularly as well. But we can't call it what it actually is because it also holds religious meaning for some people?

Just PC/Marketing nonsense

I mean, is it a big deal to me? Not in the large scale of things. But it is one of those things that just annoys me and shows a further step down the road of a balless America where everybody has to hold hands and nobody can ever be uncomfortable and nobody can say anything that anyone anywhere might someone construe as negative.

I am all for tolerance and inclusion. But not at the cost of our identity and our freedom. And not in cases where it was never even remotely necessary.

Location hidden

#197819 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop it, Skom.
You don't even watch Fox News, you have no ground to judge them.
First of all I have watched Fox News

I like Shepard Smith

I even don't mind Bill O'Reilly

And making a statement as to their format isn't judging them. It is simply pointing out that "news" these days has gone from straight reporting to editorialized news. Fox is not unique in this. But they are one of the worst offenders IMO

I think I am well within my rights to hold the opinion that I miss regular news reporting where the goal was to report the news not manufacture it. And the goal was to give people the facts and let them draw their own conclusions versus trying to give their opinions to them.

That is the state of "news" today.

I don't see how you could even disagree

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#197820 Dec 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
These are exerts of your web site referenced.
http://www.lovingspirituality.com/how-evangel ...
1). Militarism.“Virtually all Evangelical Churches are highly militaristic, celebrating “the troops” and the military as the highest service one can render to one’s fellow humans.”
I wonder what the VFW would say to that post?
2)Materialism.“Evangelicals are highly materialistic as a group, even preaching that Jesus wants everyone to be rich.”
I’ve heard of believing God to bless his people but not that he wants everyone rich. I think most would like to be rich but that kind of wealth is not for everyone. The author here is making a false claim.
3). Hatred for the poor.“Evangelicals tend, as a group, to despise the poor.”
I think most Christians are against abuses in entitlements which we all know exist. But here the author failed to point out all the ministries directed to the poor by Christians. One here in St. Louis is a Christian homeless shelter. And what about all the food pantries for the poor that Christians operate?
In my opinion I don’t think Atheist hate the poor they just don’t give a rats *ss about them. That’s why there’s so few Atheist homeless shelters and food pantries.
4). Self-sufficiency.“Evangelicals are the most likely of Christians to preach a “gospel” of self-sufficiency.”
Evangelicals (and many so-called “spiritual people”) teach that we are to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps, and disdain anyone who needs help.
Yeah, well Christians do believe in working and finding work. I didn’t know that was such a bad thing.
5). Pride.“I’m proud to be an American” is a very un-Christian statement.”
??? By whose standards? Another statement I would love here the reaction by the women and men who fought for this country. Notice the author doesn’t bother to leave his name.
Thanks for posting this as I didn't click on her link. The amount of crap and outright bigotry you just posted from it shows much. In the last 10 years I've worshiped at two non-denominational churches and can say its pure crap. In fact unlike certain people in this very forum they do much for the poor but often say nothing of it. Its becoming more clear to me those the carry on the most about bigotry (she and Catcher are perfect examples) are so blind with it.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197821 Dec 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Poor trollie
All you are doing is copying things you have seen other people write
You can't even make your own jokes. Which is weird considering you are one
So like I said...useless
I must have hit a nerve. I repeated a perfect example of you. Now , entertain me as Buck makes a blithering buffoon out of you and all your vapid rhetoric.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197822 Dec 31, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's silly. Why would anybody feel tense when people walk toward them? Only sheep would answer anything other than "C".
Youre tougher than I thought. Would you be interested in earning lots of extra money, part time.?

Location hidden

#197823 Dec 31, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I must have hit a nerve. I repeated a perfect example of you. Now , entertain me as Buck makes a blithering buffoon out of you and all your vapid rhetoric.
Trolls are often delusional about accomplishing their goal of upsetting someone

You don't have ability to upset me

You do make me laugh however. At you not with you

I realize trolls also see a refusal to feed them as a victory. You should be happy then at how this goes from here

:)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#197824 Dec 31, 2013
I am counting my blessings, and I am thanking The Good Lord, that, Atheism in America has failed as it has. We enjoyed our Christmas, and I am certain 2014 atheist will once again make no advancement. I do pity the poor souls that are stuck in China, North Korea, Cuba, or any other failed society they reign at. I also thank God that University are now allowed to discuss freely the new age advancements that science have giving us.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197825 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence Luci has is....
...wait for it...
Dun Dun DUNNNNN....
.nothing.
o.O
Exactly!

Nothing exists that even comes close to proving any deity whatsoever exists.

Your alleged, whichever "god" you think is real, is in fact, nothing.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Fergus, Canada

#197827 Dec 31, 2013
its been a good year

There are many thoughtful people who believe that Christianity itself, not just the traditional churches, is dying. America has long been the most religious of the industrialised countries.
Scholars now refer to Europe as post-Christian, and Canada is increasingly secular.
Sociologist Peter Berger popularised the Secularisation Thesis, which basically says as countries industrialise, they secularise, and religious influence declines. For years America was the outlier to Berger's thesis. But that has been changing.

'NONES' GROWING FAST

The latest authoritative national survey of religious affiliation in America conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life and released just last month found that the category of persons growing fastest are the 'nones'- those persons who disavow any affiliation to any particular religious group.

Says the report: "The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the US public - and a third of adults under 30 - are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Center polling."

It says in the last five years alone the unaffiliated category has increased from just over 15 per cent to just under 20 per cent of all US adults. Their ranks include more than 13 million atheists and agnostics - nearly six per cent of the population - and nearly 33 million people who have no particular religious affiliation.

Noteworthy is the fact that the 19.6 per cent of persons who identify themselves as not affiliated to any religious group outnumber those who are identified as white Evangelicals (19 per cent), white mainline Christians (15 per cent) and black Protestant and other minority Protestant (eight per cent). It is also significant that the unaffiliated is only marginally less than the 22 per cent Catholics. Mormons only account for two per cent of Americans and everyone in the 'other faith' category - which would includes Seventh-day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses - lumped together only accounts for six per cent of Americans.

Yes, indeed, mainline churches are declining in America, too, but so are all religious groups. Interestingly, not all of those identified as 'nones' are atheists and agnostics
. Some describe themselves as spiritual, but not religious, showing the level of disillusionment and disenchantment which has overtaken institutional religion of all forms.
There are some cultural and philosophical trends which, some say, signal the impending death of Christianity itself.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197828 Dec 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Trolls are often delusional about accomplishing their goal of upsetting someone
You don't have ability to upset me
You do make me laugh however. At you not with you
I realize trolls also see a refusal to feed them as a victory. You should be happy then at how this goes from here
:)
well, you've worn out your welcome in the other room, ill just sit by uselessly and watch you burn your bridges and be patronized here, douche

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#197829 Dec 31, 2013
A toast to you all...

Raise your glass. Let the old year pass.
Just don't drink so much you fall on you're a--.

Happy New Year!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#197830 Dec 31, 2013
http://www.denverpost.com/

I may get a present tonight.:-)

Happy New Year people and Topix atheists.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197831 Dec 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
LOl, yeah that was stupider than the blackboard ones!
Makes me wonder what will be next
But yeah, the absolute last reason most people do it is inclusion. It is either being anti-Christian or being forced or a marketing decision. Normally its the money that is behind it.
Here's the thing too, Christmas has been totally intertwined with secular society and is celebrated secularly as well. But we can't call it what it actually is because it also holds religious meaning for some people?
Just PC/Marketing nonsense
I mean, is it a big deal to me? Not in the large scale of things. But it is one of those things that just annoys me and shows a further step down the road of a balless America where everybody has to hold hands and nobody can ever be uncomfortable and nobody can say anything that anyone anywhere might someone construe as negative.
I am all for tolerance and inclusion. But not at the cost of our identity and our freedom. And not in cases where it was never even remotely necessary.
Ever see Demolition Man? Stallone & Snipes movie.

I hope America never gets to the Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy society depicted in that movie.

Be Well.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197832 Dec 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I have watched Fox News
I like Shepard Smith
I even don't mind Bill O'Reilly
And making a statement as to their format isn't judging them. It is simply pointing out that "news" these days has gone from straight reporting to editorialized news. Fox is not unique in this. But they are one of the worst offenders IMO
I think I am well within my rights to hold the opinion that I miss regular news reporting where the goal was to report the news not manufacture it. And the goal was to give people the facts and let them draw their own conclusions versus trying to give their opinions to them.
That is the state of "news" today.
I don't see how you could even disagree
I think Fox News is great at what you just wrote.

"give people the facts and let them draw their own conclusions versus trying to give their opinions to them"

Bill O'Reilly is great at that. He brings on lefts and rights to form a small debate and usually gives the first the last word.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197833 Dec 31, 2013
Edit Skom

***gives the GUEST the last word***

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197834 Dec 31, 2013
River Tam wrote:

That's silly. Why would anybody feel tense when people walk toward them? Only sheep would answer anything other than "C".
Bongo wrote:
Youre tougher than I thought. Would you be interested in earning lots of extra money, part time.?
It easy to be tough behind the safety of a computer screen....

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#197835 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever see Demolition Man? Stallone & Snipes movie.
I hope America never gets to the Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy society depicted in that movie.
Be Well.
Ever see "Idiocracy"? Hmmm....

This suppose to be the "Mars Hill" of Topix?

See some familiar "faces" ,some new,some I've only heard of...

Well, to All - a wish for a healthful, and productive - New Year.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197836 Dec 31, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Exactly!
Nothing exists that even comes close to proving any deity whatsoever exists.
Your alleged, whichever "god" you think is real, is in fact, nothing.
You came to your conclusion based on nothing.

Congratulations, you have knowledge of nothing.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197837 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You came to your conclusion based on nothing.
Congratulations, you have knowledge of nothing.
I love the bit in Demolition Man, where Sly cusses a lot because he needs toilet paper.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min flack 1,396,525
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 32,292
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr ThomasA 311,364
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 7 hr IB DaMann 9,888
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 27 Barbi A 201,865
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web