Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
188,901 - 188,920 of 224,170 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

*religious folks might be more accuratel
LCNin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

no happy atheists wrote:
<quoted text>
Public Warning: There are atheists out walking the streets brutally putting people in the hospital as they play their evil game called "Knockout". It's the latest tortuous crime they've come up with since they've committed their lives to rejecting God, the Holy Bible, and don't have the courage to be a Christian.
DO NOT feel these are Atheists or Theists...

Doubt if thought dominates these thugs lives?

Do Not feel this a fair attack on atheists ....just saying.

Peace

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

*y described in your post

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound resentful that my drawing Social Security that I have been paying into for a while detracts from your being able to spend it on other social programs that suit your ego.
Would it help if millions of other old timers and I just die and get out of your way, Catcher? Especially if we don't lean your way politically?
Once upon a time liberals supported Social Security for the people, not their programs.
You misunderstand. I'm in favor of a safety net, and I think social security is a great program. I'd go much further, by the way, to help those who are in need.

You were the one grousing about government programs while receiving the benefits.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish him luck with that.
Did you hire Bongo to be your cheerleader?

Or did he volunteer?

If you're paying him, I hope it's the minimum wage.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No Sir, Myself and multitudes of others have received a great gift, He revealed himself to us. Many have died over this rather than submit to the enemies.
A ticket to the funny farm?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it suits you.
You're testing me, aren't you? Or are you just unable to contain your bitterness and resentment?
<quoted text>
LOL. Your cluelessness in posting is epic.
The world has been very good to me, Dave, and never better than now.
If it has been so good to you then why do you bitch about it so much?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
"Some unemployed people said the loss of benefits might drive them to take minimum- wage jobs to get by until they can find work at their skill level and in their field. Richard Mattos, 59, of Salem, Ore., has been out of work since March, when he was laid off as a case manager at a social services organization. Without the unemployment income, Mattos said he and his wife will have enough money for one month's worth of bills. Almost every day, he visits employment centers run by the state of Oregon or Goodwill Industries International. "I don't know what we're going to do," he said. "We could end up homeless because of this.""
http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_2480...

I am flabbergasted by the entitlement mentality that now exists.
You're a beautiful person. Dave.

When is check day for you?
Dave Nelson wrote:
The government wasn't there when Dave packed a family in a little car with everything they could carry with no where to go and $200 to get there with, or a few other bad economic times.
And a spiritual genius. It's beautiful how your own experiences have led you to have so much empathy for others in the same boat. This is why I treasure your counsel so much.
Dave Nelson wrote:
And far from just Dave. Such has happened to millions and millions of workers over decades because of layoffs. But let it be white collar or parasitic professions and the government dumps money in their laps. I believe they tend to be liberal Democrats.
But you're not bitter, envious or resentful.are you?

Have a nice day.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
we need to expand the definition of Godwin's Law."
How so?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

"Some unemployed people said the loss of benefits might drive them to take minimum- wage jobs to get by until they can find work at their skill level and in their field. Richard Mattos, 59, of Salem, Ore., has been out of work since March, when he was laid off as a case manager at a social services organization. Without the unemployment income, Mattos said he and his wife will have enough money for one month's worth of bills. Almost every day, he visits employment centers run by the state of Oregon or Goodwill Industries International. "I don't know what we're going to do," he said. "We could end up homeless because of this."" http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_2480 ... I am flabbergasted by the entitlement mentality that now exists. The government wasn't there when Dave packed a family in a little car with everything they could carry with no where to go and $200 to get there with, or a few other bad economic times. And far from just Dave. Such has happened to millions and millions of workers over decades because of layoffs. But let it be white collar or parasitic professions and the government dumps money in their laps. I believe they tend to be liberal Democrats.
Catcher1 wrote:
You should be grateful that the government is there for you now.
Dave doesn't experience gratitude, or compassion. Who remembers a single kind or constructive post from him ever? When has he ever offered anybody anything except insults, criticism, science poetry, and unsolicited advice?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I can guarantee you short of an opening at Walmart for a greeter, someone 59 years old won't be able to get a minimum wage job
My buddy who has his pilot's license and college degree couldn't get a job at a gas station or McDonald's as they said he was too old, too qualified and would leave first chance he got, or they simply didn't have any openings as most states at the time had about a 7-1 ration of people out of work compared to available jobs
I can see the entitlement complaint when it comes to certain cases with welfare. and there will always be people who scam the system. But this is someone that has probably been paying taxes for 40 years and his companies paying into unemployment that he never used. We spend more on defense than the next 10 highest spending countries COMBINED, nine of which are our allies and spend 3 times more on defense then all our discretionary spending combined.
I find it hard to believe emergency unemployment insurance can't be funded while we have things like the pentagon losing 100 million in airline tickets simply for not returning them as they were refundable and another 100 million by allowing the employees to expense tickets that were already paid for. This is when they found out over 40,000 people had unlimited government credit cards for expenses that they were using for things ranging anywhere from personal trips to cars to kid's college tuition
Someone that has worked their whole life and paid into the system should be able to count on it for something. Lord knows the people who have been paying into SS will probably never see that money by the time they are ready to retire already. Working 40 years and needing some safety net when a job is lost through no fault of their own is supposed to be the system we have in place. I don't see that as entitlement at all. The government made bank off of millions of people who worked their whole life and never needed unemployment. They can give a little back amid a recession no
JMO
You've been impressing me today. How did I miss this side of you for so long? I hope you'll stay with us awhile. We really have a pretty good thing going here.
Jim

Barnet, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new s/article-2530224/Can-tear-jer kers-turn-liberal-As-Good-As-I t-Gets-The-Rainmaker-make-sopp y-says-study.html
The power of Hollywood to mass produce mindless liberals.
Creationist Cult Members couldn't attack Atheism so they attack Liberalism instead (Nothing to do with Atheism)

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
You should be grateful that the government is there for you now.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You sound resentful that my drawing Social Security that I have been paying into for a while detracts from your being able to spend it on other social programs that suit your ego.
Did Catcher's comment sound resentful to you? It didn't to me. He's trying to help you be a better person.

Your "I am flabbergasted by the entitlement mentality that now exists" sounded quite ugly, however. The man is 59 - my age, and just a few years younger than you. He's just a few years from the Social Security that you receive, which he likely paid into for as long as he paid into an unemployment insurance fund. As he said, he may become homeless before that kicks in.

Have you no compassion or empathy whatsoever?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Would it help if millions of other old timers and I just die and get out of your way, Catcher?
Let me ask you the same question: would you be willing to let Mr..Mattos, the man we've been discussion, have a little help now at age 59 if he promises to kill himself at age 65?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

<quoted text>
How so?
Godwin's law could be modified to also apply to references to Pol Pot and Stalin.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
If I want a perspective of physical existence that transcends rote learning, I would rely on Dave's.
I've read a few thousand words of Dave's scientific poetry - EM, magnetic flux, telluric currents, etc - and have learned nothing from any of it, and have profited zero from the effort. What am I missing in your estimation? What have you learned from, and how has it enriched your understanding of reality?

Or is your defense of him just throwing him a bone?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Dave doesn't experience gratitude, or compassion. Who remembers a single kind or constructive post from him ever? When has he ever offered anybody anything except insults, criticism, science poetry, and unsolicited advice?
I do recall some sad soliloquies and rueful reminiscences.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
"Corrupted form of the theory"??That sounds suspiciously like a religious defense.
The theory of evolution, like the rest of naturalistic science, is ateleological < http://www.thefreedictionary.com/teleological >. The biological theory is based on natural selection, not supernatural direction. There is no purpose or design in naturalistic evolutionary theory. Evolution is the "blind watchmaker".
Buck Crick wrote:
Every new development in biological theory is in "conflict with mainstream biologists".
Disagree. We expect new discoveries to enhance the existing model, and their arrival is not conflict.

Notwithstanding the name of their Institute, the ID people have no discoveries - just a philosophy that is antithetical to naturalistic science, and which has never borne fruit. That is in conflict with mainstream science.

How about it, Dave? Buck is impressed with your scientific contribution. What do you have to add to this? EM waves? Magnetic flux?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
There is no way you can "know" there is a god or not
Yeah, thanks for that.
Dave Nelson wrote:
the default "lack of belief" would be agnosticism.
That is incorrect.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The existence or non-existence of such would be based upon interpretation of what you observed
That is also incorrect. Existence and non-existence are not dependent on interpretation.
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Atheism" is an advocation there is none, not a passive I don't know, and thus a belief system.
And wrong yet again.
Dave Nelson wrote:
But the simple minded with aspirations and ego will use the term "atheist" because it sounds intellectual to them.
I defer to your expertise in that department.

Have you got a science poem for us today?
Dave Nelson wrote:
If they just did an honest simple minded "I dunno" they could then advance in their thinking instead of being stuck in a confused circular state of thinking, which is not their strongest suit in this game of life.
"I dunno" is the sine qua non of agnosticism, Aristotle.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you hire Bongo to be your cheerleader?
Or did he volunteer?
If you're paying him, I hope it's the minimum wage.
I wish you luck, with Buck. So ,good Bluck schmuck

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. change is a moving, magnificent phenomenon .... for the most part, in the past two months you've been able to ignore the regular assassinations on your character and move beyond the paltriness. That's indicative of change, spiritual growth ... did you discover there's no real joy in insulting or hurting others, that you're only indulging in exasperating intellectual and emotional calisthenics ??... transformation is rather fascinating to me. I think it takes courage. Your thoughts ??..
Thanks, but I haven't gotten to where I hope to be. Dave exhausts me, but it's a good workout.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nuculur option 1,080,310
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Fight On 26,672
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr The_Box 305,088
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) 22 hr jessirinneyswift 9
UMES Basketball Forward Ishaq Pitt Named to NAB... Thu Dana McCarty 1
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Thu RICK SERVICE 26
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Jul 20 Danny 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••