Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#197007 Dec 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?
Godwin's law could be modified to also apply to references to Pol Pot and Stalin.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#197008 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
If I want a perspective of physical existence that transcends rote learning, I would rely on Dave's.
I've read a few thousand words of Dave's scientific poetry - EM, magnetic flux, telluric currents, etc - and have learned nothing from any of it, and have profited zero from the effort. What am I missing in your estimation? What have you learned from, and how has it enriched your understanding of reality?

Or is your defense of him just throwing him a bone?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#197009 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Dave doesn't experience gratitude, or compassion. Who remembers a single kind or constructive post from him ever? When has he ever offered anybody anything except insults, criticism, science poetry, and unsolicited advice?
I do recall some sad soliloquies and rueful reminiscences.

Fennario

#197010 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
"Corrupted form of the theory"??That sounds suspiciously like a religious defense.
The theory of evolution, like the rest of naturalistic science, is ateleological < http://www.thefreedictionary.com/teleological >. The biological theory is based on natural selection, not supernatural direction. There is no purpose or design in naturalistic evolutionary theory. Evolution is the "blind watchmaker".
Buck Crick wrote:
Every new development in biological theory is in "conflict with mainstream biologists".
Disagree. We expect new discoveries to enhance the existing model, and their arrival is not conflict.

Notwithstanding the name of their Institute, the ID people have no discoveries - just a philosophy that is antithetical to naturalistic science, and which has never borne fruit. That is in conflict with mainstream science.

How about it, Dave? Buck is impressed with your scientific contribution. What do you have to add to this? EM waves? Magnetic flux?

Fennario

#197011 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is no way you can "know" there is a god or not
Yeah, thanks for that.
Dave Nelson wrote:
the default "lack of belief" would be agnosticism.
That is incorrect.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The existence or non-existence of such would be based upon interpretation of what you observed
That is also incorrect. Existence and non-existence are not dependent on interpretation.
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Atheism" is an advocation there is none, not a passive I don't know, and thus a belief system.
And wrong yet again.
Dave Nelson wrote:
But the simple minded with aspirations and ego will use the term "atheist" because it sounds intellectual to them.
I defer to your expertise in that department.

Have you got a science poem for us today?
Dave Nelson wrote:
If they just did an honest simple minded "I dunno" they could then advance in their thinking instead of being stuck in a confused circular state of thinking, which is not their strongest suit in this game of life.
"I dunno" is the sine qua non of agnosticism, Aristotle.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197012 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you hire Bongo to be your cheerleader?
Or did he volunteer?
If you're paying him, I hope it's the minimum wage.
I wish you luck, with Buck. So ,good Bluck schmuck

Fennario

#197013 Dec 29, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. change is a moving, magnificent phenomenon .... for the most part, in the past two months you've been able to ignore the regular assassinations on your character and move beyond the paltriness. That's indicative of change, spiritual growth ... did you discover there's no real joy in insulting or hurting others, that you're only indulging in exasperating intellectual and emotional calisthenics ??... transformation is rather fascinating to me. I think it takes courage. Your thoughts ??..
Thanks, but I haven't gotten to where I hope to be. Dave exhausts me, but it's a good workout.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197014 Dec 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A ticket to the funny farm?
Every atheist gets his evidence sooner or later, Right?

Fennario

#197015 Dec 29, 2013
For practical purposes, the Constitution means what the people paid and empowered to interpret it tell us it means.
Bongo wrote:
Now I know why you scurried to Mexico.
Scurried? This was a good move.

Do you resent my decision to expatriate? It sounds like it.

Let me say this: When I was living in America, I got the distinct feeling that conservatives and Christians didn't consider me much of an American, and would want me gone. Has that changed in my absence?
Bongo wrote:
The wrong people could never make their way into power could they?
Don't ask me.

Although I wish the Mexican people well and am grateful to have been welcomed into their country and treated so well, I really don't understand their culture or their politics, and don't take the active interest in either that I took in American politics. I couldn't tell you if the current president is considered liberal or conservative. Nor the last one.

Fennario

#197016 Dec 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Yeah. My two cents... I don't think the lack of theistic belief is a philosophy. Some may disagree, but once you step outside of what - atheist - means(which is the one thing atheists share in common), then you get into various flavors of what a person thinks for themselves as individuals. The one commonality between atheists is that we don't have a belief in gods, we don't have a book we follow. We don't, as an all encompassing group or aggregate, attend "atheist" services. Put one hundred atheists in a room. Among those hundred there will be thousands of other differences, just the one thing, >no theistic god belief<, is the only similarity we share. Sure, we may enjoy football(that's not atheism), camping(that's not atheism), science(that's not atheism) etc... I think an atheist would and does, by definition, have to adhere to the one precept of atheism; No theistic belief that there are deities or a deity. It(atheism) is a disbelief. So, in that narrow application I'd imagine you could say that is "fundamental" to being an atheist. On the other hand, there isn't a "universal philosophy" that surrounds atheists or atheism. We might agree or disagree about many things, none, essentially, that are connected to being atheist. Everyone has principles, beliefs and other ideas that they are certainly entitled to hold, or not hold, and I won't disagree with that. I support that. That doesn't remove those principles, beliefs or ideas from the arena of public discussion, nor does it preclude them from criticism or outright rejection and noting that, publicly. That also doesn't tie any of those aspects that atheists might share in common to being "atheist", in specific..
I'd agree with this.
scaritual wrote:
We just have that one, singular thing we share in common - no theistic deity belief.
And this. I don't see a whole belief system there. Nor do I see why anybody would argue otherwise, even if they were right. Why bother?

Fennario

#197017 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
I just had this thought, you figure youre gonna be ok if God is real.
Any god except your god and maybe Allah. Those gods will want to hurt me.
Bongo wrote:
I don't think youre a true atheist, not that theres anything to wrong with that.
Why is that? Because I agree that gods have not and cannot be ruled out? That's what makes me an agnostic atheist.

Fennario

#197018 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No Sir, Myself and multitudes of others have received a great gift, He revealed himself to us. Many have died over this rather than submit to the enemies.
He has not revealed himself to me. Maybe he loves you more.

Fennario

#197019 Dec 29, 2013
no happy atheists wrote:
Public Warning: There are atheists out walking the streets brutally putting people in the hospital as they play their evil game called "Knockout". It's the latest tortuous crime they've come up with since they've committed their lives to rejecting God, the Holy Bible, and don't have the courage to be a Christian.
You are a great testimony to the power of Christ and the Holy Spirit to change lives.

And look up tortuous. It doesn't mean what you seem to think. The word you want is tortuRous.
haha

United States

#197020 Dec 29, 2013
no happy atheists wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism= Hatred and Bigotry
Yep!

Fennario

#197021 Dec 29, 2013
LOL. Your cluelessness in posting is epic.
The world has been very good to me, Dave, and never better than now.
Dave Nelson wrote:
If it has been so good to you then why do you bitch about it so much?
Whatever are you talking about, Dave? I criticize the state America is in, the church, medical science, and you - not my life. My little world is pretty much isolated from all of that. It is a happy place. When have I ever bitched about my life?

How about you, Dave? Are you fulfilled? Do your cat, your new telephone and your cigarettes complete you?

Fennario

#197022 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Godwin's law could be modified to also apply to references to Pol Pot and Stalin.
Well then I've got just the thing for you - Godbot's law:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Fennario

#197023 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I do recall some sad soliloquies and rueful reminiscences.
And laconic lamentations, turgid threnodies, pompous palaver, and orotund oratories

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197024 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I've read a few thousand words of Dave's scientific poetry - EM, magnetic flux, telluric currents, etc - and have learned nothing from any of it, and have profited zero from the effort. What am I missing in your estimation? What have you learned from, and how has it enriched your understanding of reality?
Or is your defense of him just throwing him a bone?
I like Dave.
LCNin

United States

#197025 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist Cult Members couldn't attack Atheism so they attack Liberalism instead (Nothing to do with Atheism)
Many good atheists are liberals as well.

As we grow up

some people come to the realization

that Good People often hold different views.

Fennario

#197026 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I like Dave.
OK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 min Bruin For Life 28,452
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 47 min new yawk 1,155,535
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr cpeter1313 307,057
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) 3 hr Lora_14 10
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr sam 201,186
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 10 hr IBdaMann 2,731
Rashard Kelly's last-second putback gives No. 1... 15 hr dogman67156 1
More from around the web