Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196980 Dec 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
For practical purposes, the Constitution means what the people paid and empowered to interpret it tell us it means.
Now I know why you scurried to Mexico. The wrong people could never make their way into power could they?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196981 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Dave has a better understanding of physics than anyone on this thread. That includes me and Polymath. Polymath's type have more rote knowledge. But they don't understand what they know.
If you take Dave's last three posts on physics - or any three chosen at random - and look at what they say, you will find virtually nothing factual, just undisciplined speculation unrelated to the physical world. What he writes is poetry, not science. Anybody can write what he writes with zero understanding of physics apart from a superficial familiarity with its vocabulary. What would you expect a good understanding of physics to produce? The type of understanding that Polymath has - formal and academic - has given the world great gifts. What value are Dave's idle speculations to anybody but him?
Bongo wrote:
Did I assume wrong, I thought you liked art and artists.
You assumed correctly.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#196982 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
OK. How does that definition fit in with your claim that there is an atheism belief system. How do you define belief system? Your definition doesn't seem to address a belief system, just a system for accomplishing a purpose.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That is neither a belief system, nor an essential aspect of atheism. That is a secular humanist value, and an action plan to defend it. From the Affirmations of Humanism:
"We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state."
And how would that belief constitute a system were it part of atheism?
We atheists have no belief system as atheists. All of our beliefs apart from the negative belief in gods are part of something else, depending on what philosophy or ideology we embrace - secular humanism in your example, which is my belief system as well.
But other kinds of atheists have radically different belief systems, such as Stalinists and astrologers,which are also not a part of atheism.
Atheism is the absence of a god belief, and says nothing about a belief system except that any belief system that an atheist embraces will not be a theistic belief system.
Yeah.

My two cents...

I don't think the lack of theistic belief is a philosophy. Some may disagree, but once you step outside of what - atheist - means(which is the one thing atheists share in common), then you get into various flavors of what a person thinks for themselves as individuals.

The one commonality between atheists is that we don't have a belief in gods, we don't have a book we follow. We don't, as an all encompassing group or aggregate, attend "atheist" services.

Put one hundred atheists in a room.

Among those hundred there will be thousands of other differences, just the one thing, >no theistic god belief<, is the only similarity we share. Sure, we may enjoy football(that's not atheism), camping(that's not atheism), science(that's not atheism) etc...

I think an atheist would and does, by definition, have to adhere to the one precept of atheism; No theistic belief that there are deities or a deity.

It(atheism) is a disbelief. So, in that narrow application I'd imagine you could say that is "fundamental" to being an atheist.

On the other hand, there isn't a "universal philosophy" that surrounds atheists or atheism. We might agree or disagree about many things, none, essentially, that are connected to being atheist.

Everyone has principles, beliefs and other ideas that they are certainly entitled to hold, or not hold, and I won't disagree with that. I support that. That doesn't remove those principles, beliefs or ideas from the arena of public discussion, nor does it preclude them from criticism or outright rejection and noting that, publicly. That also doesn't tie any of those aspects that atheists might share in common to being "atheist", in specific.

We just have that one, singular thing we share in common - no theistic deity belief.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196983 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>

Jon Stewart on Yom Kippur: "Yom Kippur. Greatest Jewish holiday ever. The Jewish day of atonement. You don’t eat for one day, all your sins for the year are wiped clean. Beat that with your little “Lent.” What is Lent? Forty days of absolution. Forty days to one day. Even in sin you’re paying retail."
I just had this thought, you figure youre gonna be ok if God is real. I don't think youre a true atheist, not that theres anything to wrong with that.
LCNin

United States

#196984 Dec 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I've ever responded to you before. If your reported location is correct, you live where I used to.
Well, it seems like your gripe is with evangelism, intolerance, and juvenile profanity, but is it really? Do you oppose these things regardless of their source, atheists or theists? Do you think one group engages in these things more than the other?
Thanks for you reply
Believe in my heart that Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, Jews and Muslims can interact with tolerance and learn for each other.

Evangelical trolls may be found among all groups and they " seem to have all the answers."

Moderation and thought often seem wise courses of action

Peace

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196985 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Is that a more civil way of saying STFU, shithead
No, but it suits you.

You're testing me, aren't you? Or are you just unable to contain your bitterness and resentment?
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are the one angry with the world
LOL. Your cluelessness in posting is epic.

The world has been very good to me, Dave, and never better than now.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196986 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
There are none that want to be known.
No Sir, Myself and multitudes of others have received a great gift, He revealed himself to us. Many have died over this rather than submit to the enemies.
no happy atheists

United States

#196987 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
PUBLIC WARNING: Creationist Cult Members active on topix Atheism forum:
Dave Nelson
Buck Crick (ex convict)
LCN (paid propogandist)
Bongo
Riverside Redneck
antiatheist
WarForOil
share / add to list & inform others.
Public Warning: There are atheists out walking the streets brutally putting people in the hospital as they play their evil game called "Knockout". It's the latest tortuous crime they've come up with since they've committed their lives to rejecting God, the Holy Bible, and don't have the courage to be a Christian.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#196988 Dec 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah.

My two cents...

I don't think the lack of theistic belief is a philosophy. Some may disagree, but once you step outside of what - atheist - means(which is the one thing atheists share in common), then you get into various flavors of what a person thinks for themselves as individuals.

The one commonality between atheists is that we don't have a belief in gods, we don't have a book we follow. We don't, as an all encompassing group or aggregate, attend "atheist" services.

Put one hundred atheists in a room.

Among those hundred there will be thousands of other differences, just the one thing, >no theistic god belief<, is the only similarity we share. Sure, we may enjoy football(that's not atheism), camping(that's not atheism), science(that's not atheism) etc...

I think an atheist would and does, by definition, have to adhere to the one precept of atheism; No theistic belief that there are deities or a deity.

It(atheism) is a disbelief. So, in that narrow application I'd imagine you could say that is "fundamental" to being an atheist.

On the other hand, there isn't a "universal philosophy" that surrounds atheists or atheism. We might agree or disagree about many things, none, essentially, that are connected to being atheist.

Everyone has principles, beliefs and other ideas that they are certainly entitled to hold, or not hold, and I won't disagree with that. I support that. That doesn't remove those principles, beliefs or ideas from the arena of public discussion, nor does it preclude them from criticism or outright rejection and noting that, publicly. That also doesn't tie any of those aspects that atheists might share in common to being "atheist", in specific.

We just have that one, singular thing we share in common - no theistic deity belief.
Atheism = No theistic deity belief.

(RR! Dude! You were right about somethi

Location hidden

#196989 Dec 29, 2013
Darn phone!

Atheism = Lack of a theistic belief there are deities.

Atheism = Absence of belief in theistic deities.

Athei
no happy atheists

United States

#196990 Dec 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism = No theistic deity belief.
(RR! Dude! You were right about somethi
Atheism= Hatred and Bigotry

Location hidden

#196991 Dec 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Darn phone!

Atheism = Lack of a theistic belief there are deities.

Atheism = Absence of belief in theistic deities.
Atheist = Does not believe in deities.

RR may have been right about one thing.

I'm an Atheist.

I don't believe in any theistic deities.

That's lack of belief.

I also love popcorn. Do I eat popcorn for Atheism?

No, I eat it because I love popcorn, it's yummy.

Location hidden

#196992 Dec 29, 2013
no happy atheists wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism= Hatred and Bigotry
After your posts on ptag I have to disagree.

Religious folks might

You know, if church makes you cranky, you don't have to go dude.

Just saying.

Location hidden

#196993 Dec 29, 2013
*religious folks might be more accuratel
LCNin

United States

#196994 Dec 29, 2013
no happy atheists wrote:
<quoted text>
Public Warning: There are atheists out walking the streets brutally putting people in the hospital as they play their evil game called "Knockout". It's the latest tortuous crime they've come up with since they've committed their lives to rejecting God, the Holy Bible, and don't have the courage to be a Christian.
DO NOT feel these are Atheists or Theists...

Doubt if thought dominates these thugs lives?

Do Not feel this a fair attack on atheists ....just saying.

Peace

Location hidden

#196995 Dec 29, 2013
*y described in your post

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#196996 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound resentful that my drawing Social Security that I have been paying into for a while detracts from your being able to spend it on other social programs that suit your ego.
Would it help if millions of other old timers and I just die and get out of your way, Catcher? Especially if we don't lean your way politically?
Once upon a time liberals supported Social Security for the people, not their programs.
You misunderstand. I'm in favor of a safety net, and I think social security is a great program. I'd go much further, by the way, to help those who are in need.

You were the one grousing about government programs while receiving the benefits.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#196998 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish him luck with that.
Did you hire Bongo to be your cheerleader?

Or did he volunteer?

If you're paying him, I hope it's the minimum wage.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#196999 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No Sir, Myself and multitudes of others have received a great gift, He revealed himself to us. Many have died over this rather than submit to the enemies.
A ticket to the funny farm?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#197000 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
No, but it suits you.
You're testing me, aren't you? Or are you just unable to contain your bitterness and resentment?
<quoted text>
LOL. Your cluelessness in posting is epic.
The world has been very good to me, Dave, and never better than now.
If it has been so good to you then why do you bitch about it so much?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min flack 1,656,672
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 min June VanDerMark 322,059
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 42 min Chosen Traveler 35,086
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Research 11,896
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web