Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258451 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#196307 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>There ya go, same here. Mama was a red-letter God-fearin' Christian woman, as they say, so there wasn't a time that it wasn't part of daily life. But we were healthy boys too. We raised hell all week, and trembled on Sunday, all the way thru my 20's. But when I turned 30 or so, I had a young family in a new town with a new job. I resolved to take that chance to go all-in with study, prayer, involvement, the works. I felt I had a whole host of absolution needed doin'
I'll admit I skipped fast through the interminable begets (Numbers) and the minute details of the Tabernacle tent.(But in a trivia contest, I can tell how big the panels were, down to the cubit;) But I did read it diligently, purchasing a Study Bible for the endeavor. I also dove into all the histories and apologetics I could find, all with an eye to having a "Closer Walk With Thee". Strobel, McDowell, and Lucado still set on the shelf to my left here, along with a host of others
One of earliest problems was reading Isaiah. I'd learned all the "prophecies" alleged to come from Isaiah, but when I finally read the whole thing in context, man, I couldn't help wondering why the vast majority of one of the largest books was just supposed to be so much Hebraic jibber-jabber. Then every so often, right dead in the middle of a song or speech, Isaiah is supposed to just drop into a trance, mutter a few stanzas of "prophecy" that he didn't even know was there, and then snap out of it and continue rambling on with Judaic flotsam and jetsam that means nothing as far as the prophecy was concerned. Just didn't make sense.
OMG the begats are boring. But when studied, their importance and relevance is revealed. They show the lineage of Jesus as prophesied in Genesis, Isaiah and Jeremiah.

I really didn't learn anything significant in church as a kid. My dad made me go and I resented our church for it, as if it was the church's fault. I really got into it in my 20s, when I started willfully going.

But I had to step away from churches and stick with my faith. In my opinion, too many churches are run by greedy men that insist you pay them as much as you can for attending their two hour sermon. It drove me nuts. The last time I went to church, the preacher was preaching that God gets mad at you if you don't tithe. I walked out halfway through.

To be clear, I walked out of the church, not my faith.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#196308 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I said my version of financially secure is undoubtedly different than your version of it.
Simpleton.
You must get SSDI due to your mental illness.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196309 Dec 26, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You must get SSDI due to your mental illness.
No sir, I've never had state or federal aid.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196310 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If ----- IF ----- he only thought about blowing us up but never did anything, how could you justify murdering him?
With your bible. I agree with you, but were you aware that there are thought crimes in the Christian bible?

[1] "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago,‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment" - Matthew 5:21-22

[2] "You have heard that it was said,‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:27-28

These are sins that could land in you in hell. I don't consider that just, either.

Fennario

#196311 Dec 26, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> bwhahahaha, what does religion mean?
There are several meanings, some metaphorical, such as calling football a religion. And the word can be used for some systems of thought that do not (necessarily) include a god, such as some forms of Buddhism, Taoism, or possibly Scientology.

But the commonest, most literal definition involves a god or gods. This is the definition I have found most useful

DEFINITION OF RELIGION
http://atheism.about.com/od/religiondefinitio...

• Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
• A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
• Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
• A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
• Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.
• Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
• A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
• A more or less total organization of one’s life based on the world view.
• A social group bound together by the above.

Fennario

#196312 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You are programmed to prefer "In Me I Trust" and I'm sure you would be perfectly happy if our national motto changed to that.
I do trust myself, and not gods. Does that surprise or offend you?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
And if a politician like Hitler came to America, stood in front of crowds of secular humanists and swore to "Me" that he were remove the Christian influence in America, up to and including changing the national motto by whatever means necessary, you would vote for him.
You're projecting.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196313 Dec 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
With your bible. I agree with you, but were you aware that there are thought crimes in the Christian bible?
[1] "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago,‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment" - Matthew 5:21-22
[2] "You have heard that it was said,‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:27-28
These are sins that could land in you in hell. I don't consider that just, either.
That lands you in judgement, IANS. Not Hell.

Please try to understand the Scripture before posting it.

Thanks.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196314 Dec 26, 2013
I do trust myself, and not gods. Does that surprise or offend you?
Absolutely not. I think that's great. For you.
You're projecting.
No I'm not. If a reverse Hitler were to pop up in politics today and offered (threatened) to make America a theocracy and enforce Christian law on the land, I would not follow him nor would I support him. I doubt many Christians would, just the fanatics.

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#196315 Dec 26, 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainme...

Noah's Arks.

Perfect places for Topix atheists.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#196316 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm that internet guy that admits to being broke, having flaws, learning from others, etc.
There's nothing to gain by being dishonest.
I thank you for the kind words.
Hey look, it's Honest RR.

And he's broke.

How about we take up a collection?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196317 Dec 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Hi.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196318 Dec 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
And he's broke.
How about we take up a collection?
You're such a simpleton, Catch.

I bet you have a hard time figuring out the washing machine, huh?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#196319 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi.
So what do you say?

If you're broke, as you say, should we all band together and help you out?

Or did you now suddenly become financially secure again?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196320 Dec 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
So what do you say?
How are you this dense, man? Really?

Can you not understand that one man's sense of financial security is different than another's?

I have a contractor/flipper customer that has over ten million in his checking account alone. I guarantee you that if it dropped to two million, he'd start to feel broke.

My sense of financial security doesn't come from income. Where does yours come from?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196321 Dec 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you say?
lol, band together? Atheists prefer internecine warfare.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196322 Dec 26, 2013
<quoted text>
There are several meanings, some metaphorical, such as calling football a religion. And the word can be used for some systems of thought that do not (necessarily) include a god, such as some forms of Buddhism, Taoism, or possibly Scientology.
But the commonest, most literal definition involves a god or gods. This is the definition I have found most useful
DEFINITION OF RELIGION
http://atheism.about.com/od/religiondefinitio...
• Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
• A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
• Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
• A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
• Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.
• Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
• A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
• A more or less total organization of one’s life based on the world view.
• A social group bound together by the above.
Thanks, man

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#196323 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in jail with a little buddhist guy who said his name was Sun Moon.
Not kidding.
He was a weird little shit.
I ate his Jello.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I ate his Jello.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Is that a euphemism?
Whatever you do, don't ask about what Buck did with the Pudding Pops...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#196324 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Martin Luther said some crazy shit.
So do you.

You both claim perfect knowledge of God, too.

ROFLMAO

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#196325 Dec 26, 2013
If you do a google search for "understanding categorical hierarchies", most of the results will be about educating very young children.

Atheism and theism are categories that provide no direction. Nothing necessarily follows from either outside of their respective definitions.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#196326 Dec 26, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'm an atheist. I believe in no deities at all, and won't unless proof of such is forthcoming. Which, thus far, has spectaculary failed to materialize.
Call that what you like - doesn't affect me or my lack of faiths in the slightest.
Of course we would all be believers if god appeared to us in some spectacular fashion. Just like the way he did for Moses and Paul.

Then you would have to believe. In the meantime...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Susanm 1,523,463
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr El Phartss 32,922
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr silly rabbit 313,989
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 20 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr 20 DelucaKoehn 11
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 18 RNC 11,137
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Apr 8 Allycat1999 290
More from around the web