Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258490 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jim

London, UK

#196274 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of them do.
Some atheists believe in spirituality, luck, emotions, dreams, even aliens. All without any evidence.
But they choose not to believe in God.
Imagine that.
Atheism is a simple disbelief in god. Its not a choice to disbelieve.
Jim

London, UK

#196275 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be beyond my help.
The crosses are at Normandy. Do you have any idea who the allies were fighting at Normandy?
Hitler killed Jews and Christians because of his hate for their religion, his racism toward the Jews, and he justified it with the science of Darwin.
None of it had anything to do with Martin Luther. If Luther had been with one of the Catholics Hitler's men killed, he would have killed him too.
You don't seem capable of grasping that. So if anyone asks, you should just repeat to them what I said above.
Creationist fail: hilter was christian.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#196276 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's usually the atheists talking about the whole real Christian thing. You have never and will never hear that from me.
According to history and according to his own words, Hitler hated Christianity

just as much as you hated Judaism.
What!? Where did that come from? Objection your honor, assumes material not submitted in evidence.

I've always wondered why people have a problem with Jews as a people.

Then I read the NT, and I'm like, "Ah ha!"
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text> It is well documented that when he was done with the Jews and he had conquered Europe, he was going to turn his attention at the Christian church throughout Europe and eradicate them, changing Christianity into a new religion, one with Hitler at the helm.

It's none of my business and you don't have to answer, what made you lose your faith in Jesus?
I'm not going to knock Jesus - I think he must have been a fine man. A trifle delusional in the messianic way, but a fine man nonetheless. I'd like to be like him. I'm not, but it's a nice ideal.

My apostasy came in fits and starts, and grudgingly, but it came primarily through a deeper mature reading of the Bible in whole. For a faith that grounded itself in alleged historical underpinnings, there were just too many incongruities and inconsistencies for it to possibly be a Word from God. At least I sure hope not - taken in whole, that guy is certifiable crazy.

Beyond that, the more I examined the whole original sin and substitutionary atonement idea, the more abhorrent it became. I can't think of a more immoral concept than to tell a person they are corrupt and a stench unto God's nostrils because of something Grandad did, and then ask an innocent to die horribly for our hereditary corruption, and we be all joyous about the travesty.

There's a lot more. I don't take it lightly. But that's it in a nutshell.

Thanx for asking without assuming.
Jim

London, UK

#196277 Dec 26, 2013
Religious trolls have epically failed on the Atheism forum this christmas.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#196278 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
What!? Where did that come from? Objection your honor, assumes material not submitted in evidence.
<quoted text>I'm not going to knock Jesus - I think he must have been a fine man. A trifle delusional in the messianic way, but a fine man nonetheless. I'd like to be like him. I'm not, but it's a nice ideal.
My apostasy came in fits and starts, and grudgingly, but it came primarily through a deeper mature reading of the Bible in whole. For a faith that grounded itself in alleged historical underpinnings, there were just too many incongruities and inconsistencies for it to possibly be a Word from God. At least I sure hope not - taken in whole, that guy is certifiable crazy.
Beyond that, the more I examined the whole original sin and substitutionary atonement idea, the more abhorrent it became. I can't think of a more immoral concept than to tell a person they are corrupt and a stench unto God's nostrils because of something Grandad did, and then ask an innocent to die horribly for our hereditary corruption, and we be all joyous about the travesty.
Excellent post! Thanks!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#196279 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in jail with a little buddhist guy who said his name was Sun Moon.
Not kidding.
He was a weird little shit.
I ate his Jello.
What was Sun Moon in prison for?

Was he an Asian or Indian?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#196280 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist fail: hilter was christian.
Oh sure like a lead balloon will fly. Lead as in chemical element “PB,” heavy metal.

That’s why lead is in such high demand by hot air balloon enthusiast.
Jim

London, UK

#196281 Dec 26, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh sure like a lead balloon will fly. Lead as in chemical element “PB,” heavy metal.
That’s why lead is in such high demand by hot air balloon enthusiast.
Are you saying you believe in Science now? Now fetch some evidence of god!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#196282 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
Religious trolls have epically failed on the Atheism forum this christmas.
Why thank you so much.[tipping hat]

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#196283 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
...just as much as you hated Judaism.
HipGnosis wrote:
OOPS! Holy crap, I'm sorry, that should've said: "just as much as he hated Judaism." he, as in Hitler.
I'm not going to knock Jesus - I think he must have been a fine man. A trifle delusional in the messianic way, but a fine man nonetheless. I'd like to be like him. I'm not, but it's a nice ideal.
Are you Gnostic now?

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#196284 Dec 26, 2013
Test from phone.

Why am doing this

How do I shift this thing

Where's the enter key

Arrrgh

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196285 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
Atheism is a simple disbelief in god.
Jim wrote:
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religion.
Make up your damn mind.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#196286 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a simple disbelief in god. Its not a choice to disbelieve.
Atheism is a simple belief in nothing, like that is something.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#196287 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
This case is not one of language evolving.
It's an obvious case of manipulation for an agenda.
You will have to get up earlier to lecture me on language, little friend.
Hehehe.

The OED defines.

You deny.

Guess what?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#196288 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I am financially secure.
Maybe that means having tons of money sitting in the bank to you. It doesn't mean that to me.
You are the one who doesn't understand and who doesn't want to understand.
You are the simpleton here, Catch.
There you go.

First you were financially secure, then you said you were broke, now you're doing fine once again.

And no explanation for the different stories.

Another RR word jumble.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#196289 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>It looks like you've got two choices.
You can affirm that you agree with the stated rationalization of Nazi policy,
or,
you can affirm that they erroneously expropriated science to their own ends.
Which is it?
And ol' Buckaroo is still confusing evolution, social Darwinism and eugenics.

No idea why - he's still arguing with the OED 'cos he doesn't like the definition...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196290 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I am financially secure.
Maybe that means having tons of money sitting in the bank to you. It doesn't mean that to me.
You are the one who doesn't understand and who doesn't want to understand.
You are the simpleton here, Catch.
Catcher1 wrote:
There you go.
First you were financially secure, then you said you were broke, now you're doing fine once again.
And no explanation for the different stories.
Another RR word jumble.
I told you that you're the simpleton here...

I did explain it.

“The future begins”

every moment

#196291 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
...just as much as you hated Judaism.
<quoted text>
OOPS! Holy crap, I'm sorry, that should've said: "just as much as he hated Judaism." he, as in Hitler.
<quoted text>
Are you Gnostic now?
No. I think there's something to be said for the lifelong quest for revealed knowledge, but no, don't draw any conclusions from the nickname. I copped it from the company that did the Pink Floyd album covers, liked the sound of it, is all. I don't know nothin' from archerons or demiurges.

But enough about me. How about you? Been Christian all your life? Have you read, I mean really read your Bible? If so, you'll surely agree that one of the most egregious things about believers and nons alike is how much out there is just parroted talking points, without true study and.perspective in context. I've got a grudging respect for those that have put in the work and still maintain their faith. Just didn't work for me.

As Jessica Rabbit said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

“The future begins”

every moment

#196292 Dec 26, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And ol' Buckaroo is still confusing evolution, social Darwinism and eugenics.
No idea why - he's still arguing with the OED 'cos he doesn't like the definition...
There it is. Bet he never even heard of Spencer....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196293 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No. I think there's something to be said for the lifelong quest for revealed knowledge, but no, don't draw any conclusions from the nickname. I copped it from the company that did the Pink Floyd album covers, liked the sound of it, is all. I don't know nothin' from archerons or demiurges.
I don't understand that reference, but ok.
But enough about me. How about you? Been Christian all your life? Have you read, I mean really read your Bible? If so, you'll surely agree that one of the most egregious things about believers and nons alike is how much out there is just parroted talking points, without true study and.perspective in context. I've got a grudging respect for those that have put in the work and still maintain their faith. Just didn't work for me.
As Jessica Rabbit said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."
I've been a Christian since I was 5 but I really got into the faith at 15. I almost lost my faith and might've become an atheist had God not worked with me. He restored my faith fully and I haven't looked back since.

I've read the Bible several times, but that really says nothing. I've studied it for many years, there are things in it I haven't studied in detail, like about half of the OT and Revelations. I gotta dig into those more.

I'm not what you'd call a typical God fearing, church going Christian. Stick around, you'll see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Yeah 1,508,079
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr YeahPhart 32,814
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr silly rabbit 313,638
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar 16 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar 15 Bath phart 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 14 Into The Night 11,123
NCAA Basketball Tournament Feb 27 needhelp01 1
More from around the web