Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#195303 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not. The modern atheist is not ballzy.
They prefer to dominate academia and literature.
You won't see people like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins fixin' a squarin' off place.
Messes up the hair gel.
<golf claps>

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#195304 Dec 23, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<The Dave Nelson> "... I'm so fabulous..."
Only in comparison to your teammates, scar.

It ain't hard to do.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195305 Dec 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
""The Vibe"
Some Deadheads use the term "X Factor" to describe the intangible element that elevates mere performance into something higher.[9] Publicist and Jerry Garcia biographer Blair Jackson stated that "shows were the sacrament ... rich and full of blissful, transcendent musical moments that moved the body and enriched the soul."[10] Phil Lesh himself comments on this phenomenon in his autobiography by saying "The unique organicity of our music reflects the fact that each of us consciously personalized his playing: to fit with what others were playing and to fit with who each man was as an individual, allowing us to meld our consciousnesses together in the unity of a group mind.".[11]
Jackson takes this further, citing drummer Mickey Hart as saying "The Grateful Dead weren't in the music business, they were in the transportation business." Jackson relates this to the Deadhead phenomenon directly by saying "for many Deadheads, the band was a medium that facilitated experiencing other planes of consciousness and tapping into deep, spiritual wells that were usually the province of organized religion ...[they] got people high whether those people were on drugs or not." (For more on the spiritual aspect, see Spinners in the section below). It was times like these that the band and the audience would become one; The Grateful Dead and the Deadheads were all in the same state of mind.[12]
Rock producer Bill Graham summarized much of the band's effect when he created a sign for the Grateful Dead when the group played the closing of the Winterland Ballroom on December 31, 1978 that read:[13]
They're not the best at what they do,
They're the only ones that do what they do.
Cheers!
Bill & the Winterland Gang
The "Vibe" of the Grateful Dead is kept alive today by the many festivals that celebrate their traditions."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadhead#.22The_...
You are truly amusing in your intellectual prowess, IANS. It gets stronger with each hit on your bong.
A man that worships a band from long ago. Still stuck in the magic he experienced at their feet. One of their faithful marching teddy bears.
IANS, for a guru of enlightenment and judge of morality, religions, etc,etc, etc, you don't show me much. And I'm an understanding and optimistic kind of guy. You can imagine what others think of your proselytizing.
God, I love beating up on supercilious and arrogant idiots on cold mornings. Enhances the high from my tobacco.
I think all music is spiritual. Releases us from the thinking head.

In this example, spirit can be felt from a sweaty, hairy,'80s rock band:

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#195306 Dec 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not nice.
I challenge you.
One lie.
"Liar" IS the ultimate definition of "attorney" in most adult minds.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#195307 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Stalin killed for atheism
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Stalin killed for Stalin.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
And the Phil guy voiced his opinion to denigrate gays. uh-huh Your double standards are showing...
You realize, do you not, that that criticism is only valid when two things are sufficiently alike that they should be judged by the same standard. How do you connect these? And what single standard do you think applies to them both?

Fennario

#195308 Dec 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Jesus, Son of Mary (on whom be peace) said: The World is a Bridge, pass over it, but build no houses upon it. He who hopes for a day, may hope for eternity; but the World endures but an hour. Spend it in prayer, for the rest is unseen."
http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/far-from-happy-...
There it is - the very essence of separation and alienation. This is what I was referring to. with this:

"Christian doctrine is antithetical to authentic spirituality, the sine qua non of which includes a sense of connectivity to oneself, to one's family and community, to one's fellow man, to all other life, and the to world it all plays out in. Christian philosophy undoes all of those. You are told that you are an alien spirit in a flawed fleshy vessel, a member of a failed and diseased species, and temporarily trapped in a temporary world of base matter that you are to despise like you do your own flesh. You are admonished to remain separate from it all, and to redirect your attention to a hypothetical place outside of the universe, and to a time after your death. How can you develop a sense of spirituality once laden with that?"

Fennario

#195309 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Russia's League of Militant Atheists had thousands of members.
They were not all psychopaths. They fought to advance the atheist ideology, such as science refuting religion. Stalin killed for Stalin. Stalin also killed for an atheist vision of a godless utopia.
It's history. We can't change it.
I am repeating myself, and so are you. I think we've exhausted this topic. Shall we move on?

Fennario

#195310 Dec 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Jesus, Son of Mary (on whom be peace) said: The World is a Bridge, pass over it, but build no houses upon it. He who hopes for a day, may hope for eternity; but the World endures but an hour. Spend it in prayer, for the rest is unseen.".
Dave Nelson wrote:
"but build no houses upon it" That is mental houses. Structured thinking. Perhaps some of you have changed your mind about something you thought was true when you found out more? You modify your perception? "Science" does this all of the time. So do religions..
That's your take on what those words mean - don't hold any idea firmly. I disagree about what it is saying. I think it says that you don't belong in this world, and don't get too settled in.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#195312 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nope. They were also psychopatic ideologues.
If you had a legitimate criticism of atheism, you and the rest of Christiandom would have made it by now. All we hear from theists is criticism of murderous totalitarian regimes that have nothing to do with us, and the unflattering and inaccurate descriptions of atheists that your destructive, divisive, and dishonest church spreads - things such as that we have no morals, no sense of purpose, believe nothing, hate your god, etc..
That is the church's legacy, and why so many of us see it as a destructive force..
Ya, ya, ya. All we hear from the Topix Atheist! is how God is evil and Christians burn witches and Christianity has terrible morals and Jesus probably never existed.

Where does that leave us?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#195313 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not scientific empiricism, any more than Stalin's atheism was scientific empirircism.
I'll tell you what it is, since you don't know, MacNugget.
It is the reliance on science as a cudgel to beat up on the religion you don't like.
And it is hubris.
Some stupidity thrown in, because you only repeat what you are told.
That's what it is. Hope that's helpful.
And yet, and yet - science DOES utterly refute superstition, however much lipstick you put on the latter.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#195314 Dec 23, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's theism in a nutshell.
"You can't reason with someone about a position they embrace when they didn't reason their way into that position in the first place."
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Oh YEAH, What about the intangible elements?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195315 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Stalin killed for atheism

Stalin killed for Stalin.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
And the Phil guy voiced his opinion to denigrate gays. uh-huh Your double standards are showing...
You realize, do you not, that that criticism is only valid when two things are sufficiently alike that they should be judged by the same standard. How do you connect these? And what single standard do you think applies to them both?
The double standard is watching the Topix Atheist! say that when a Christian lies, they lie for Jesus. Or when a Christian kills, they kill for their god. Or when a Christian commits genocide, it's Christianity's fault.

But when an atheist does the same, it has nothing to do with atheism.

Double standard.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195316 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
He's saying that you attribute wrongs such as the words of Phil Robertson to his Christianity, and other atrocities committed by Christians to Christianity, but exempt atheism from the far greater atrocities committed in service to atheism, and that is a double standard.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195317 Dec 23, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And yet, and yet - science DOES utterly refute superstition, however much lipstick you put on the latter.
Your calling something superstition does not make it superstition.

Thanks for not killing me, Leader Stalin.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#195318 Dec 23, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Oh YEAH, What about the intangible elements?
What would those "intangible elements", be?

Westcliffe, CO

#195319 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
There it is - the very essence of separation and alienation. This is what I was referring to. with this:
"Christian doctrine is antithetical to authentic spirituality, the sine qua non of which includes a sense of connectivity to oneself, to one's family and community, to one's fellow man, to all other life, and the to world it all plays out in. Christian philosophy undoes all of those. You are told that you are an alien spirit in a flawed fleshy vessel, a member of a failed and diseased species, and temporarily trapped in a temporary world of base matter that you are to despise like you do your own flesh. You are admonished to remain separate from it all, and to redirect your attention to a hypothetical place outside of the universe, and to a time after your death. How can you develop a sense of spirituality once laden with that?"
Separation and alienation from what, IANS?

YOUR idea of what the world and existence should be like?

The Borderland of Sol

#195320 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A position not attained by reason cannot be diminished by reason.
ROFLOL.

You have no idea how right you are.

Westcliffe, CO

#195321 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's your take on what those words mean - don't hold any idea firmly. I disagree about what it is saying. I think it says that you don't belong in this world, and don't get too settled in.
Very good. You recognize it is all a temporary state of affairs, too.

So why are you so concerned with everyone getting so settled in to your view of it?

The Borderland of Sol

#195322 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your calling something superstition does not make it superstition.
Thanks for not killing me, Leader Stalin.
Okay, let's cut to the chase.

What's the fundamental difference between your belief in your Deity and a child's belief in pixies?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195323 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
He's saying that you attribute wrongs such as the words of Phil Robertson to his Christianity, and other atrocities committed by Christians to Christianity, but exempt atheism from the far greater atrocities committed in service to atheism, and that is a double standard.
Very good, sir.

You'd think the Topix Athiest! would've caught that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 19 min Woody X 326,332
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min Reality Check 1,682,761
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr Taste very nice 35,351
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Wed Sweet 293
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jan 16 hojo 12,044
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan 4 NicePhartts 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Dec 24 Randy from Wooster 201,884
More from around the web