Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195198 Dec 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can move to one of those societies.
And your argument is bogus.
Remember segregation, Buckaroo?
I already live in one of those societies. So do you.

It's called governing with consent of the governed.

Guess Californians haven't heard of it.
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#195199 Dec 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post195055
<quoted text>
OK, and thank you, too.
You are correct that we define Christian differently. We have to.
You say that, "God knows who belongs to Him." Would you agree that from a believer's perspective, a Christian is whoever your god says it is, meaning those who will get into heaven, and that those who will be rejected were not Christians?
If so, two things:
[1] You can see why an unbeliever cannot use that definition.
[2] You can't tell who is a Christian, yourself included, since you don't know who will be found acceptable on Judgment Day,
True. I've said many times anyone, Christians included could be wrong. God and God alone has the last word. Tha doesn't mean we all aren't going to make many judgments.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#195200 Dec 23, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>True. I've said many times anyone, Christians included could be wrong. God and God alone has the last word. Tha doesn't mean we all aren't going to make many judgments.
*hypocrisy at its finest*

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195201 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You use the word "atheism" for what is really agnosticism.
I'm safe thinking Stalin didn't slaughter millions for agnosticism.
Thus, I am not the one distorting.
The distortion is calling agnosticism "atheism", then saying atheism doesn't kill.
That is equivalent to saying Christianity doesn't kill, but defining "Christianity" as a casual admiration for dead people of ancient Palestine
Stalin killed for atheism. It was his belief, not a lack of belief.
Library of Congress:
"The Soviet Union was the first state to have as an ideological objective the elimination of religion. Toward that end, the Communist regime confiscated church property, ridiculed religion, harassed believers, and propagated atheism in the schools...."
"The main target of the anti-religious campaign in the 1920s and 1930s was the Russian Orthodox Church, which had the largest number of faithful. Nearly all of its clergy, and many of its believers, were shot or sent to labor camps..."
"Moreover, not only was religion banned from the school and university system, but pupils were to be INDOCTRINATED WITH ATHEISM and antireligious teachings. For example, schoolchildren were asked to convert family members to atheism and memorize antireligious rhymes, songs, and catechisms, while university students who declined to PROPAGATE ATHEISM lost their scholarships and were expelled from universities. In addition, scientific theories, such as the Big Bang, which implied a creator God, were suppressed in favor of theories which were thought to SUPPORT ATHEISTIC MATERIALISM." <emphasis added>

-James M. Nelson, PhD., "Psychology, Religion, and Spirituality"; Springer, 2009, p. 427

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195202 Dec 23, 2013
Atheists Killed for Atheism

Forced Secularization in Soviet Russia:
Why an Atheistic Monopoly Failed

PAUL FROESE

"Under communism, the Russian religious landscape consisted mainly of two competitors—a severely repressed Russian Orthodox Church and a heavily promoted atheist alternative to religion called “scienti&#64257;c atheism.”

"Under these circumstances, one might expect the rapid spread of religious disbelief, but the intensity of the atheist campaign originated from of&#64257;cial mandate and not popular appeal. In turn, scienti&#64257;c atheism never inspired the Russian population and grew increasingly uninspired as Soviet of&#64257;cials created a monopoly “church” of scienti&#64257;c atheism in hopes of replacing persistent religious beliefs and practices. This article is dedicated to explaining why Communists could not successfully convert the masses to atheism."

"The Soviet educational system held “the bringing up of children in the 'atheist spirit' as one of its primary missions" (Van den Bercken 1989:138).

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195203 Dec 23, 2013
THE FIRST WAR ON CHRISTMAS

THE CHURCH OF SCIENTIFIC ATHEISM

"Soviets found that religious rituals and holidays were the most dif&#64257;cult outward expression of religion to suppress. Religious holidays presented an initial dilemma because most people greatly enjoyed congregating for seasonal celebrations around religious themes. In response, Soviets
decided to create work schedules that always con&#64258;icted with religious holidays."

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195204 Dec 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't dignify this sort of argument.
So just stop it.
You would first have to understand the argument.
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#195205 Dec 23, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
*hypocrisy at its finest*
Not even close. Everyone makes countless decisions based on our own bias each day. What I'm saying is in the final word one as to the soul only ones word will count. Carry on in your war with Christians. As I posted, I'm not outraged and you can do nothing to hurt or bother me.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#195206 Dec 23, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and the Indians called him Babur the tiger. I know a girl who's Uzbeki.
They weren't stupid those Oriental races...maybe a little brainwashed by their religion. Arabic numerals are so much easier to add than Roman, esp when you're trying to work out a year. Happy MMXIV!
I've been interested in Eastern history for decades now. Fascinating area of study.

And yeah, Babur had a bit of difficulty with the whole Shiite/Sunni/Infidel difficulty.

And one still cannot multiply Roman numerals, and there's still no zero.

But I got really good at reading Roman numerals when I got seriously stuck into movies, back in the late MCMLs.

Laffin.

Location hidden

#195207 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
THE FIRST WAR ON CHRISTMAS

THE CHURCH OF SCIENTIFIC ATHEISM

"Soviets found that religious rituals and holidays were the most dif&#64257;cult outward expression of religion to suppress. Religious holidays presented an initial dilemma because most people greatly enjoyed congregating for seasonal celebrations around religious themes. In response, Soviets
decided to create work schedules that always con&#64258;icted with religious holidays."
Got a link?

The Borderland of Sol

#195208 Dec 23, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
His name is Brandon.
He finally made me cry.
That's dreadful.

The Borderland of Sol

#195209 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bring it up with them at lunch tomorrow.
Nice buck-and-wing, Buck.

WTG, Twinkletoes - reminds me of Peter Boyle in "Young Frankenstin".

The Borderland of Sol

#195210 Dec 23, 2013
^stein".

The Borderland of Sol

#195211 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You use the word "atheism" for what is really agnosticism.
I'm safe thinking Stalin didn't slaughter millions for agnosticism.
Thus, I am not the one distorting.
The distortion is calling agnosticism "atheism", then saying atheism doesn't kill.
That is equivalent to saying Christianity doesn't kill, but defining "Christianity" as a casual admiration for dead people of ancient Palestine
Stalin killed for atheism. It was his belief, not a lack of belief.
Library of Congress:
"The Soviet Union was the first state to have as an ideological objective the elimination of religion. Toward that end, the Communist regime confiscated church property, ridiculed religion, harassed believers, and propagated atheism in the schools...."
"The main target of the anti-religious campaign in the 1920s and 1930s was the Russian Orthodox Church, which had the largest number of faithful. Nearly all of its clergy, and many of its believers, were shot or sent to labor camps..."
You keep saying that. And you keep being wrong.

Location hidden

#195212 Dec 23, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Not even close. Everyone makes countless decisions based on our own bias each day. What I'm saying is in the final word one as to the soul only ones word will count. Carry on in your war with Christians. As I posted, I'm not outraged and you can do nothing to hurt or bother me.
I wasn't talking to you but ok, thanks.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#195213 Dec 23, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
His name is Brandon.
He finally made me cry.
I hope that made you feel a bit better. It often helps.

I hope this song does too.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#195214 Dec 23, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Pmsl.
Cheers Rosa, go the Blues! LOL, you know, I don't get into the footy but I went to a live game once and the atmosphere was amazing.
You go for the atmosphere really. And the slanging matches.

As for Origin, 2014 has to finally be our year.
*crosses fingers*
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#195216 Dec 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Lying for a living is the perfect profession for someone like Catcher.
His true profession is hedonism. I don't think he ever wrote a book. Certainly not multiple best sellers like Joel Osteen, a man Catcher couldn't hold a candle to.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#195217 Dec 23, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You keep saying that. And you keep being wrong.
I think not ,mucousman
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#195218 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You would first have to understand the argument.
Catcher is a legend in his own moribund mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min Eddie M 319,936
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,641,120
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 24 min Not who you think 34,804
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 11 hr Star1 11,800
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 9 Randy-From-Wooster 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web