Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244887 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194947 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Your posts are more hate-filled than any Christian on these pages.

Here is a "fact" for you to incorporate in your broad brush of spite:

Paul Osteen is the brother of Joel Osteen, pastor of Lakewood Christian Church, the megachurch in Houston. He left his affluent surgery group practice to work in that ministry full time, and now spends 5 - 6 months out of the year doing surgery on children in Zimbabwe and Rhodesia.

You are quite unfair in your assessment.
Why? Because you can cite a pastor who might not be a liar and or a pedophile? I can cite more than one of those too, unfortunately, they're not even close to being the majority.

Of course you would think that stating facts about your religion makes me hateful but not the religion itself.

It's ok, you can think whatever you want about me, it doesn't change anything but it does show your approval of the church's dark history and that, is something.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194948 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe as individuals but as a whole, every christian endorses this behavior, all over the world, simply by following and abiding by the very people who commit these hideous atrocities.
Then it's fair to say every atheist endorses the genocide of Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pott, Stalin, and Lenin.

You have a thousand times more deaths to answer for.

Atheism is a wicked belief, huh?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194949 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is responsible for more genocide than Christianity, or even all religions combined.

China under Mao Tse Tung, killed 26.3 million people. According the Walker Report, 63.7 million over the whole period of time of the Communist revolution in China.

The Soviet Union put to death 66.7 million people under Lenin and Stalin.

The atheist Pol Pott and the Khmer Rouge, in only 4 years, between April 17, 1975 and January 1979, killed 3 million Cambodians.

The Chinese at two different times in medieval history, killed somewhere in the vicinity of 35 million and 40 million people.

These regimes were either non-religious, anti-religious, and some who positively asserted atheism.

The witch trials in New England executed between 19 and 35 people.
Your numbers are wrong so I have to assume you're being deceitful in order to take the focus off your religion or that you have not done your research properly.

The two biggest genocides in the history of mankind occurred to the Native Americans and the Jews.

Both christian induced madness.

You may want to take a closer look at world wide witch hunts (still happening), the crusades and Stalin's connection to the rcc. Or don't, this isn't about you and I don't care if you don't wish to be informed.

I don't endorse or defend any type of murder, genocide or war, regardless of whether religious or not but religion has the numbers by a thousand fold in every rotten thing that has ever occurred to humans, no amount of deflection will ever change that and by defending it you are showing consent.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice."

- Someone smarter than Buck.

Location hidden

#194950 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Because you can cite a pastor who might not be a liar and or a pedophile? I can cite more than one of those too, unfortunately, they're not even close to being the majority.
Of course you would think that stating facts about your religion makes me hateful but not the religion itself.
It's ok, you can think whatever you want about me, it doesn't change anything but it does show your approval of the church's dark history and that, is something.
First, it is not my religion.

Second, you are lying when you claim "the majority" of pastors are pedophiles. Even if it were true, you don't know it as a fact. You talk through your ass.

Are you aware that pedophilia is disproportionately male on male, or homosexual?

How do you like that broad brush?

You are willing to lie to smear Christians. That diminishes legitimate criticisms you might offer.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194951 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>First, it is not my religion.

Second, you are lying when you claim "the majority" of pastors are pedophiles. Even if it were true, you don't know it as a fact. You talk through your ass.

Are you aware that pedophilia is disproportionately male on male, or homosexual?

You are willing to lie to smear Christians. That diminishes legitimate criticisms you might offer.
Interesting how you just made something up whilst calling me a liar.

What I've learnt is available to everyone, all over the world, you not liking it doesn't make it a lie.

Learn or don't, up to you.

*shrugs*
Jim

London, UK

#194952 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it's fair to say every atheist endorses the genocide of Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pott, Stalin, and Lenin.
You have a thousand times more deaths to answer for.
Atheism is a wicked belief, huh?
You can tell a religitard is a liar when he blames atheists for genocides when they are totally unrelated.
Jim

London, UK

#194953 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
First, it is not my religion.
Are you aware that you have no evidence of god and are talking out of your arse?

Location hidden

#194954 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Your numbers are wrong so I have to assume you're being deceitful in order to take the focus off your religion or that you have not done your research properly.
The two biggest genocides in the history of mankind occurred to the Native Americans and the Jews.
Both christian induced madness.
You may want to take a closer look at world wide witch hunts (still happening), the crusades and Stalin's connection to the rcc. Or don't, this isn't about you and I don't care if you don't wish to be informed.
I don't endorse or defend any type of murder, genocide or war, regardless of whether religious or not but religion has the numbers by a thousand fold in every rotten thing that has ever occurred to humans, no amount of deflection will ever change that and by defending it you are showing consent.
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice."
- Someone smarter than Buck.
You are a liar.

At the time of European settlement, it is estimated that about 2 million native Americans lived in what is now the United States.

If every native American alive had been killed by a Christian, it would not have been one of the greatest genocides in history.

Approximately 6 million Jews were killed in the holocaust. Mao killed 5 times that many people, and the Russian atheist leaders killed 10 times that many.

Also, the Jewish holocaust was not "christian induced". You are lying. Thousands of christians were killed, imprisoned, christian churches and schools burned or confiscated, and Hitler's written plans, as exposed in the Nuremberg Documents, was to eradicate christianity when finished with the Jews.

In summary, you are a liar, an idiot, and your grasp of history is that of dog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194955 Dec 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Neither the Christian church not Phil nor Christians in general hate or fear homosexuals.
You keep saying that, and I keep telling you that many people don't agree.

It's analogous to a man who is never kind to his wife - one who continually hurts her with his words and deeds - who then tells her that he loves her as she's walking out the door. She gets to decide what love is, not him. She has zero interest in what he claims to feel, only how he treats her.

What do Christians do for gay people, and what do they do to them? We all see what those are. Christians demean, demonize and marginalize gays, and try to prevent their happiness even when it would cost them nothing to support it. And then say that they love gays, not hate them..

Sorry, but the hateful, disrespectful behavior that causes guilt and shame, and makes lives more difficult, speaks louder than any words about not hating.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Phil guy is expressing his views of Biblical law
I know. That's the source of the problem - his bible. You may consider your bible a sacred and beautiful book - the very pinnacle of love - but the rest of us consider it hateful, and the church and its vectors for its destructive message will simply have to deal with that. You can't change anybody's mind by denying hate any more than the husband in the analogy could.

Fennario

#194956 Dec 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
he wasn't comparing gays to terrorists or terrorists to drunks. He was implying that no matter the sin, no matter how "big or small " that sin, it's still a sin. In a nutshell, the view he's expressing is you can murder, cheat on taxes, have extra-marital sex, abuse alcohol, etc and you're sinning. He's not saying that gays are just like terrorists.
I disagree. When you group all of those types of people together under the heading of things repulsive to a good god, you're comparing them, which one dictionary defines as, "estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between."

I have voiced the same objection to the scripture that lumps unbelievers with murderers and whoremongers. I get to decide if the bible that says such things is comparing me to them or not, and I get to decide if its love or hate - not Christians, And the answer in each case would be the opposite of yours.

Can we please put this issue to bed now? It's all been covered. Several of us have told you how the church is perceived, and you have denied the validity of the perception. Is there any more to say on the matter except that we can expect the church and its vectors to persist in what will continue to be perceived as hatred? I don't think so, and if I feel then like I do now, the next time you post that that isn't hatred, I probably won't refute you further than just to say I disagree, and maybe to link you back to this post..

Location hidden

#194957 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how you just made something up whilst calling me a liar.
What I've learnt is available to everyone, all over the world, you not liking it doesn't make it a lie.
Learn or don't, up to you.
*shrugs*
What you think you have learned is a lie, and you have no credibility as a christian-basher.

I suggest you spend some time arming yourself with a few facts before you go on your next tirade of hate.

Jim

London, UK

#194958 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar.
says the village idiot with no evidence of god.
Jim

London, UK

#194959 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What you think you have learned is a lie, and you have no credibility as a christian-basher.
I suggest you spend some time arming yourself with a few facts before you go on your next tirade of hate.
When you have evidence of god, you won't look like such an imbecile here.

Fennario

#194960 Dec 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't want a gay teacher teaching my kids how awesome it is to be gay. But I have to.
It's part of freedom and free will. I don't want to silence the gay teacher, I want him free to fully express his ideals and views. And I want the Christian teacher to be able to do the same.
Unless the Christian teacher is gay, you mean, right?

I don't think I want teachers advocating either gay or straight sex to kids. Discussion of sex in schools should be limited to factual matters relevant to health and conception..

Or maybe by "I want the Christian teacher to be able to do the same," you meant to be able to peddle his (or her) faith rather than his sexuality. I also don't want teachers doing that in public schools, either.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194961 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar.
At the time of European settlement, it is estimated that about 2 million native Americans lived in what is now the United States.
If every native American alive had been killed by a Christian, it would not have been one of the greatest genocides in history.
Approximately 6 million Jews were killed in the holocaust. Mao killed 5 times that many people, and the Russian atheist leaders killed 10 times that many.
Also, the Jewish holocaust was not "christian induced". You are lying. Thousands of christians were killed, imprisoned, christian churches and schools burned or confiscated, and Hitler's written plans, as exposed in the Nuremberg Documents, was to eradicate christianity when finished with the Jews.
In summary, you are a liar, an idiot, and your grasp of history is that of dog.
*and we have come to the hurling verbal abuse section of the conversation with a religinut, who is possibly a 'stealth christian', from observation, it could have gone two ways with this one, either verbal abuse in manner of play ground bully who just got kikked in the nads or the teenage equivalent of sexual harassment, as you can see, religion makes people very hostile and hateful as well as uninformed*

Thank you Buck, much appreciated.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#194962 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, are you.. crying?

**Wow, the guy who is infamous for being a topix imbecile thinks I have no credibility, lol.**

Location hidden

#194963 Dec 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying that, and I keep telling you that many people don't agree.
It's analogous to a man who is never kind to his wife - one who continually hurts her with his words and deeds - who then tells her that he loves her as she's walking out the door. She gets to decide what love is, not him. She has zero interest in what he claims to feel, only how he treats her.
What do Christians do for gay people, and what do they do to them? We all see what those are. Christians demean, demonize and marginalize gays, and try to prevent their happiness even when it would cost them nothing to support it. And then say that they love gays, not hate them..
Sorry, but the hateful, disrespectful behavior that causes guilt and shame, and makes lives more difficult, speaks louder than any words about not hating.
<quoted text>
I know. That's the source of the problem - his bible. You may consider your bible a sacred and beautiful book - the very pinnacle of love - but the rest of us consider it hateful, and the church and its vectors for its destructive message will simply have to deal with that. You can't change anybody's mind by denying hate any more than the husband in the analogy could.
I believe mankind would have been better served if the Bible had never been written.

I think I would likely be a better man today.

Despite the value of certain lessons, it was conceived and compiled as an instrument of fear, coercion, and control, then given the imprimatur as infallibly speaking for God almighty.

The pain and suffering is incalculable.

Fennario

#194964 Dec 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I would think that prayer and the Holy Spirit would be enough. It looks like they trust science to protect them more. Go figure. These are the areas where the truth about faith shines through its threadbare fabric. If faith is the substance of things hoped for, then faith has no substance. They put their trust in GPS.“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence”- Doug McLeod
Chris Clearwater wrote:
This is all the proof I need to show you don't have a clue. Last week I read an account of a Christian woman that sang as those that hated God set her on fire. She trusted the very Holy Spirit you waste your life in battle against. See how that works? She was killed by the way by very religious people all those years ago. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Was this an argument of some sort, or a rebuttal to one? You seemed to be making my point with that story.

You should note, however, that it doesn't matter to the critics of your church if you think we have a clue or not, or if you think our efforts are wasted. We make those judgments for ourselves.

Fennario

#194965 Dec 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Parents can't understand that their kids are beyond their command? I can't go along with that. The Bible has taught me an important rule; to honor the mother and father. I like that one better.
The same issue keeps arising; Christians taking their worldview from their bibles rather than by looking at the world, which, of course, is the essential difference between faith based thought and evidence based thought.

Your bible calls its homophobic message love while much of the world calls it hateful, and you go with your bible.

Clearwater thinks that his holy spirit will protect him because his bible says so even as he goes on to tell us about the woman who burned while depending on it to save her.

And now this from you. Rather than acknowledge the reality of the rebellion of children - fact of the human condition - you focus on what your bible tells you about how it should be.

=========

That rebellion, incidentally, is one of three instincts that kick in just after puberty that evolution has given man to promote the budding off of new families. All at once, girls develop a nesting instinct, boys and girls develop lust, and they both begin fighting with their parents. These would all be seen as helpful rather than problems if they happened at an age when the parents were ready to have the kids do those things as it was millennia ago. If you were still clinging to momma's apron rather than taking a wife at fifteen, you needed a good kick in the butt to jump start you.

But in modern society, kids aren't ready to start new families at that age, and those same instincts create societal problems - rebellious teens that want to break free but have to live at home where they do battle with their beleaguered parents, and lusty kids whose parents want them celibate.

Recall the discussions of the mental maps that encode our worldviews, and by which we navigate life. A map drawn from the bible simply isn't accurate, and you rely on it at your own risk. Dealing with these issues using a biblical approach has to be less effective than dealing with them from my perspective.

Rather than seeing your kids as sinful and willfully defiant of you and your god, you should see them as human beings reacting to physiological and psychological mechanism hard wired into them from birth. It might change how you deal with them, and how effective you would be. For example, you might help them protect themselves from natural instincts that are stronger than they are with contraceptives rather than prayer and the rod.

Since: Sep 10

Punta Arenas, Chile

#194967 Dec 22, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Holidays, Catch. Feliz Navidad.
:D
Thank you dear,, and same to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min feces for jesus 310,341
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Incognito4Ever 1,263,834
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 hr IBdaMann 6,472
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) 6 hr bernarlyn 33
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr tom wingo 29,852
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,846
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
More from around the web