Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247437 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#193613 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a single sentence of your post is accurate, scientifically or logically.
Other than that, you did great.
Perhaps you can actually prove me wring by supplied PROOF?

However until then I will count you as wrong, as usual well done buck, you are earning a much-deserved reputation for BS

Io Saturnalia.

#193614 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't say that. Separation of Church and State! You want theocracy!
Citizens arrest!!
Yes I can, look

Io Saturnalia

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#193615 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you got down to the nub of it pretty good.(no pun intended)
The issue is not of equal rights or equal protection of laws.
The issue is that gays want homosexuality endorsed, sanctioned, and regarded on equal footing with heterosexuality.
It can never have equal footing, by virtue of nature and people.
But that is the agenda. Let me be clear - I am for gays being treated with respect and dignity and, yes I'll say it,- love.
I was a bigot on this. My present attitude is an evolution for me. You, dear, had a role in it. Thank you.
I believe all people are spirits in human clothes. Those clothes are heavy and awkward for the spirit when trying to move about. They snag on things. My shoes have their holes. I should regard yours likewise.
Peace.
.. recently the Mrs. of an 82-year-old man was seriously ill. The entire neighborhood thought she was going to die. As the ambulance pulled away, we watched him cry, held his hand, hugged him. Everyone recognized his grief and supported him ..

.. the next day, myself and two neighbors cleaned their home, washed the dishes and did the dirty laundry while he stayed by his wife's bedside in a hospital 320-miles away ..

.. the good news? The Mrs. will be home tomorrow, she made it. She'll return home to a loving husband, a clean house, a bedroom with scented candles and a television that works (someone fixed it). The entire community rallied around this loving couple ..

.. this is why gay marriage is an imperative. We're all cut from the same cloth and need the support of society in both good and bad times. With time, I think this could happen; you're proof of that because you now understand that marriage is not a social arrangement, it's a spiritual exercise where gender is irrelevant ..

#193616 Dec 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine. You are honoring a belief by cebrating a god.
No matter how you word jumble it, it's a strange thing for an atheist to do.
Nope I am honouring a belief in a belief

Why are you assuming that after stealing christmas that you godbots are the only ones allowed to celebrate?

Kind of selfish and petty if you ask me.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193617 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The conceptual change is from one man, one woman, to something different. With voting, you walk in and vote. Then more people walk in and vote. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass. But hey, MacNuggets, don't let your head being up your ass ruin your day!
I don't see any argument there, either. What I see is something very different - a man promoting a selfish mean-sprited meme that originated with a homophobic church that he has abandoned, a meme contradicted by reason, compassion, and a sense of justice. I'm really sorry to see you promoting that ugliness given your rejection of so many other aspects of Christian culture.

It would be easy to make an argument against women's suffrage with an analogous argument:

'The conceptual change is from one man voting per household to something different: one man and one woman. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass'

Or, an argument for gay marriage using an analogous argument:

'With the Christian version of marriage, you walk in and get married. Then more people walk in and get married. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass.'

#193618 Dec 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say that an omnipotent being, one that created the universe, is not bound by the universe's limitations.
I'm not discrediting the universe or the laws we've discovered, I'm discrediting your bullshit guess that E=MC2 proves omnipotence is impossible.
What you say and what can be proven are obviously 2 completely separate things

You are saying that you believe that the idol of your belief can be excused this universe by claiming that he is not subject to reality of this universe

You have obviously not looked up the meaning of omnipotent

You have obviously not looked up the meaning of universe

And you have obviously not done the math

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193619 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you can actually prove me wring by supplied PROOF?
However until then I will count you as wrong, as usual well done buck, you are earning a much-deserved reputation for BS
Io Saturnalia.
Your post does not even rise to the level of being wrong.

It's a gibberish of blank assertions.

Someone posted evidence by propositional logic, and you responded with lip flapping.

Such a post is not subject to proof.

#193620 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see an answer to my question.
When you stated that the 4th Of July is irrelevant to most of the world, were you using anecdotal evidence?
Perhaps you were not looking, Or perhaps you are just being the typical deliberately ignorant buck

I posted the estimated population of the world as supplied by several sources and I posted the estimated population of the US as supplied by the US government

7.2 BILLION

compared to 314 MILLION

So if you want you can call those estimates anecdotal (hearsay and unsubstantiated) but I specifically stated estimated

So the 4th of July is irrelevant to about 95% of the worlds population

I can honestly say that 95% can be termed as most

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#193621 Dec 18, 2013
A typical gathering of Topix atheists.

TA 1 "They said.....(fill in blank with quotes from atheist approved authoritative figure, politician, educator, etc).

TA2 "Yeah"

TA3 "Yeah"

TA4 "Yeah"

TA5 "A no brainer, of course"(the intellectual of the group)

TA6 "Homophobes"

TA1-5 "Yeah"

TA3 "Slavery!"

TA1-6, minus 3 who is basking in the response to her enlightened proclamation "Yeah!"

TA5 "Christians are so stoopid"

TA4 "Yuk yuk yuk"

TA1-TA6 "Yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk

TA2 "Oops. Gotta reload the bong."

The Topix atheist approach to a happy and enlightened life. Agree with everything your intellectual superiors proclaim and laugh it up. You don't have to be smart to live, nor to think you are.

Location hidden

#193622 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What you say and what can be proven are obviously 2 completely separate things
You are saying that you believe that the idol of your belief can be excused this universe by claiming that he is not subject to reality of this universe
You have obviously not looked up the meaning of omnipotent
You have obviously not looked up the meaning of universe
And you have obviously not done the math
Why didn't you throw at him the E=mc^2 proves asbestos causes cancer?

Or pi proves sugar is good for you?

Bwahahahahahahahahahah...

Fennario

#193623 Dec 18, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
Would you make the same argument for interracial marriage? Before interracial marriage was allowed, was there equality in marriage rights?
Yes. Everyone was free to marry their own race.

This discussion has helped me to see that I really don't care about equality if it permits bigotry of the type that the theists here are arguing for. What I care about more is justice and brotherly love - you know, the Golden Rule, which really isn't a part of the Christian tradition.

When do Christians ever treat others as they would wish to be treated were the shoe on the other foot? Consider the motto "In God We Trust." How would American Christians feels about a national motto that read, "We Trust In Reason and Ourselves, Not Gods"? They would resent it every time they read it on a coin or bill. They know that that is how unbelievers feel. What is their reaction? "Too bad. Get over it"

#193624 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
To most people of the world, that is irrelevant.
Who cares, to 2/3 of the world christmas is irrelevant but that does not stop godbots insulting everyone they meet with merry christmas does it?

Io Saturnalia

#193625 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
To most people of the world, that is irrelevant.
Nope wrong. To some people of little understanding it is irrelevant but in reality IDers are irrelevant anyway

Io Saturnalia buck

Location hidden

#193626 Dec 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see any argument there, either. What I see is something very different - a man promoting a selfish mean-sprited meme that originated with a homophobic church that he has abandoned, a meme contradicted by reason, compassion, and a sense of justice. I'm really sorry to see you promoting that ugliness given your rejection of so many other aspects of Christian culture.
It would be easy to make an argument against women's suffrage with an analogous argument:
'The conceptual change is from one man voting per household to something different: one man and one woman. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass'
Or, an argument for gay marriage using an analogous argument:
'With the Christian version of marriage, you walk in and get married. Then more people walk in and get married. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass.'
No, the concept of voting would not be changed.

On the marriage issue, the institution as conceptualized would no longer exist.

I think people have the right to decide if they want that institution to continue to exist, and the arguments for its continuance do not require hate.

Hate does exist in the controversy, and it helps your side to smear it on all arguments.

That reflects on your philosophy, not my affinity for a religion.

#193627 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post does not even rise to the level of being wrong.
It's a gibberish of blank assertions.
Someone posted evidence by propositional logic, and you responded with lip flapping.
Such a post is not subject to proof.
Every statement I made has been scientifically analysed and proven so what can I say? Wrong again buck and you have no evidence to show otherwise, you are getting really good at it eh?

Io Saturnalia

Location hidden

#193628 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares, to 2/3 of the world christmas is irrelevant but that does not stop godbots insulting everyone they meet with merry christmas does it?
Io Saturnalia
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

There it is!

Your animus toward the greeting "Merry Christmas".

It is NOT just a matter of tolerance and plurality to you.

YOU ARE INSULTED BY THE GREETING!!

Thanks for your accidental honesty.

I'm sure it will be rare.

Location hidden

#193629 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope wrong. To some people of little understanding it is irrelevant but in reality IDers are irrelevant anyway
Io Saturnalia buck
Did you utilize anecdotal evidence in reaching that conclusion?

You are very pious in your religion.

Fennario

#193630 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It can't be applied to anything because it is not a proof. All it is is a restatement of nonexistence of a married bachelor. It has no application to Bible God, or anything else.
I think the argument not only is applicable to the bible god, it rules that specific god out, and demotes the book ascribed to it to the status of ancient mythology. If there is a god, it's not the one described in that book, which is described as perfect and imperfect at the same time - the married bachelor of gods.

If that precise god doesn't exist, it means that there is no reason to be a Christian, no reason to respect the words in the Christian bible, no reason to go to Christian churches or listen to Christian clergy, no reason to pray to or worship the Christian god, and no reason to accept the Christian doctrines of sin, salvation, damnation, heaven, or hell. None at all.

Wouldn't that count as an application?

Location hidden

#193631 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Every statement I made has been scientifically analysed and proven...
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha...

There are no words...Bwahahahahahahahaha... .

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193632 Dec 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. EAGLE refuses to engage me in debate ..
.. do you think he wants to have sex with me and is using the strong, silent approach ??..
P.S. I'm still waiting for my peanut butter & jelly sammich.
Maybe he's afraid of bewbies.

Dunno how that could be possible, but you never know...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nuculur option 1,276,427
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 42 min Bruin For Life 29,928
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Earthling-1 6,883
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr RoSesz 310,231
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 16 Doctor Justice_ 201,862
More from around the web