Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255310 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#192387 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>So is the prohibition against urinating against a wall.

The Constitution does not enshrine biblical law, but it does rely on the existence of God for its rationale.
Which god?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192388 Dec 15, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
They were both conditional proofs based on the acceptance of the logical law of non contradiction and the meanings of "married" and "bachelor".
I just removed three unnecessary words to clean it up.
<quoted text>
No.
If you're going to jump scale you need to say "Something that cannot exist does not exist."
Tom does not exist because he cannot, because a married bachelor cannot exist.
Defining Tom as a married bachelor rules out his existence.
<quoted text>
My argument has been consistent. Your understanding of it might not have been.
<quoted text>
No I didn't.
Do you know who gets to decide what I mean by what I say?
It's not you.
<quoted text>
At least you haven't acted out of character.
This is why it's pointless to argue with Topix atheists - when you clearly lose, you never admit it.

You argued that a self-contradictory biblical description of a god proves it does not exist.

You analogized this by saying, "if you say Tom is a married bachelor, Tom does not exist".

That is blatantly false and illogical.

Then you changed it to "If Tom is a married bachelor, Tom does not exist".

You eliminated the premise of your original argument, which is, that the self-contradictory description proves non-existence.

Now, you say this is consistent, you just "cleaned it up".

You need to find an opponent with a lower intellect to match yours.

Location hidden

#192389 Dec 15, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
They were both conditional proofs based on the acceptance of the logical law of non contradiction and the meanings of "married" and "bachelor".
No. Your second try was based on the law of non contradiction.

But it is irrelevant to your initial assertion - that descriptions of contradictory features renders the object described non-existent.

Location hidden

#192390 Dec 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes, Buck. The rest of us are alarmed by that.
Doesn't the director of the NIH also believe in devils?
I couldn't say.

Does he believe in emanations from penumbras?

If so, he doesn't belong on the Supreme Court.

Location hidden

#192391 Dec 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Yikes, Buck. The rest of us are alarmed by that.
Doesn't the director of the NIH also believe in devils?
I think a religious test for office is unconstitutional.

That's what atheists and humanists have told me.

Location hidden

#192392 Dec 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Ron Jeremy never has to worry about his brain being destroyed.

Location hidden

#192393 Dec 15, 2013
davy wrote:
Creator, not god, and written by a man who wasn't a Christian. So simple even a religitard should be able to understand it.
<quoted text>
Look again.

" the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them"

Seems the "religitard" had it right, and you have it wrong.

What kind of "...tard" does that make you?

Jim

UK

#192394 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why it's pointless to argue with Topix atheists - when you clearly lose, you never admit it.
You argued that a self-contradictory biblical description of a god proves it does not exist.
You analogized this by saying, "if you say Tom is a married bachelor, Tom does not exist".
That is blatantly false and illogical.
Then you changed it to "If Tom is a married bachelor, Tom does not exist".
You eliminated the premise of your original argument, which is, that the self-contradictory description proves non-existence.
Now, you say this is consistent, you just "cleaned it up".
You need to find an opponent with a lower intellect to match yours.
Science finds religion dishonest and manipulative.
Jim

UK

#192395 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a religious test for office is unconstitutional.
That's what atheists and humanists have told me.
Why do people with no evidence for god, keep thinking they are scoring points?
Jim

UK

#192396 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Look again.
" the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them"
Seems the "religitard" had it right, and you have it wrong.
What kind of "...tard" does that make you?
Religitards will never admit being wrong, so your point is...?
Jim

UK

#192397 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity orchestrated the greatest, most costly defeat of slavery in world history.
That's a point in their favor, if history matters.
Being a rational skeptic means acknowledging counterfactuals.
But naturally, they forgot to update their books and remind people slavery is wrong & bad.
Jim

UK

#192398 Dec 15, 2013
Its around christmas when the religious get jumpy tougher to keep the myth going.

Especially when the kids know santa isn't real.

Location hidden

#192399 Dec 15, 2013
davy wrote:
Creator, not god, and written by a man who wasn't a Christian. So simple even a religitard should be able to understand it.
<quoted text>
"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus".

-Thomas Jefferson, January 9, 1816, "The Writings of Thomas Jefferson", Albert Ellery Bergh, editor, Vol.XIV, p-385.

How many ways can atheists find to be wrong in one sentence?

Location hidden

#192400 Dec 15, 2013
<quoted text>
You reminded me of this legislation in Mississippi that forbids an adult to mention the name Richard Dawkins, memes, or even DNA to a minor unless he wants to spend a month in slam and pay up to $500 fine. Here is that piece of enlightened legislation:
5-71-226. Anti-Youth Subversion Act.
(a)(1) It is unlawful for any person eighteen years or older to refer to Richard Dawkins, memes, selfish genes, The Greatest Show on Earth, DNA, and any other publication penned by the person in question, as well as books, periodicals, and/or other media that are based in part on Dawkins' work to a minor.
(b) Any adult found guilty of violating this act will be subject to thirty days (30) of incarceration as well as fine not higher than five hundred (500) dollars.
http://www.laughinginpurgatory.com/2012/07/mi...
=======
But don't worry about these children. Here's a report on what they are allowed to think about, and what they are learning:
"33 Jaw Droppingly Stupid Multiple Choice Questions From The Christian Education Curriculum - This is what happens when you leave education to people for whom religious conversion is everything and learning is a distant afterthought."
http://www.alternet.org/belief/33-jaw-droppin...
=======
Please feel free to weep now for America and the damage that religion does to it citizens every day.
I think a ban of Richard Dawkins' publications for school children is appropriate.

Allowing students to read it violates the separation of church and state.
Jim

UK

#192401 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus".
-Thomas Jefferson, January 9, 1816, "The Writings of Thomas Jefferson", Albert Ellery Bergh, editor, Vol.XIV, p-385.
"“And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter.”[63]"

Thomas Jefferson (April 11, 1823),

oh snap.
Jim

UK

#192402 Dec 15, 2013
I guess Jefferson got wiser as he got older. It only took him 9 years to realise christianity was a fraud.

You also forget that he was Unitarian too. Christards always lose on facts.

Location hidden

#192403 Dec 15, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
If you say that Tom IS a married bachelor, then Tom does not exist. There may be bachelors, married men, or Toms, but no married bachelor Toms.
Most Christians don't just believe in a deity named "God", they believe some of the contradictory things about it. My rejection of the possibility for the existence of Bible God is the same as my rejection for the existence of anything contradictory. I have no reason to compile definitions for the thousands of combinations of possible gods the Bible might be describing in error. The Bible contains claims of its own infallibility. The Bible divorces itself from describing any deity that can exist. Did you ever play a game called Guess Who?

It ain't necessarily so wrote:

Well said. You have grown a lot in the time we have posted together. Your arguments are robust and your manner gentle but self-assured.

Bwahahaahahahahah....

Under the slightest scrutiny of logic, his argument is rank nonsense.

Then he moved his goalposts and doubled down.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#192404 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus".

Wow!

That's quite mining gold!

Any quotes about what Tom thought about miracles?

Location hidden

#192405 Dec 15, 2013
Rehholder17 wrote:
You are all a grand laugh
Thanks, man.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192406 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
No direct evidence of abuse was found, as admitted by the ATF and FBI..
That's incorrect. unless you meant before the raid

"At the age of 10, Jewell testified, she was summoned to bed by Koresh and forced to have sex. She said she was about 7 when she was first told she would become one of his "wives" one day. Jewell also reported on his obsession with guns and his visions of apocalyptic battles. Davidians were told how to shoot themselves dead."
http://articles.dailypress.com/1995-07-21/new...

"Jewell became Koresh's youngest "bride" when she was just 10, and would later testify in Congress that Koresh molested her at a motel. She told Primetime she was not upset at the time. "I had been trained from a very early age that this was a good thing," she said. "
http://www.culteducation.com/reference/waco/w...

This indirect evidence supports that (thanks to Rosa for the links):

"Dr. Perry said that though the children seemed highly protective of the cult's secrets, "Over the course of two months, the kids became increasingly open about 11- and 12-year-old girls being David's wives." He said it was also clear in these conversations that the status of "wife" included having sex with Mr. Koresh. Under Texas law, sex by an adult with girls under the age of 17 is statutory rape, a felony."
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/04/us/growing-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,383,515
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min cpeter1313 311,215
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr IB DaMann 9,636
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) 21 hr Financial Consult... 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr Trojan 32,267
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) May 23 Ceren 39
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 22 01niner 201,860
More from around the web