Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238901 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

davy

Albuquerque, NM

#192320 Dec 14, 2013
Here is a nice quote for you from the guy who wrote the "rationale"

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded upon fables and mythologies."

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/supe...
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution was the rulebook.
The Declaration was the rationale.
You might want to read it sometime, if it's not too painful.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#192321 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live in America, you live in a nation founded on the belief that rights are endowed by God.
I'm sorry if that disturbs you.
You are free to search for a new home where rights are believed to be endowed by Smurfs.
I am not optimistic about the proposition.
Some middle east countries allow your rights to be derived based on whether you are born a sheik or a sunni. But you are already born, I assume.
The Constitution secures rights against infringement by people, including the government.
It was agreed that that particular vehicle was legitimate because such rights transcend people, and are inherent in our humanity, due to that humanity being created by God.
Again, sorry for the distress. But if you live here, I assume it is voluntary.
If you live in America, you live in a nation founded on the belief that rights are endowed by a Creator. You assume that to be God?
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#192322 Dec 14, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripol...

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Ratified by the senate and signed by John Adams in 1797
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_No...
United States Congress
The Seven Laws of Noah were recognized by the United States Congress in the preamble to the 1991 bill that established Education Day in honor of the birthday of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the leader of the Chabad movement:
Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great Nation was founded; Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws.[27]

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#192323 Dec 14, 2013
It's important that you understand davy that the Declaration of Independence says the word creator in it----- *rolls eyes

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#192324 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The ATF, who raided the compound, has no jurisdiction in child abuse.
Their warrant was for weapons violations.
No direct evidence of abuse was found, as admitted by the ATF and FBI. All such charges were disputed by other members.
They eventually incinerated all but a few, including the children.
They were up for funding review, and had contact with a public relations firm for advice on how to do the raid.
Koresh was likely a nut and a jerk.
But you are straining on a gnat, relatively speaking.
If you want to call it that, good! I say that you're swallowing a camel.

I won't deny that Waco could have been better handled. It's easy to say that, 20 years later.

Location hidden

#192325 Dec 14, 2013
Since it says it in the Declaration, and in the bible, then everyone HAS to believe it's true!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#192326 Dec 14, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that was true, Catch.
And they had plenty of justification from the Bible:
Ephesians 6
5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.
Colossians 3
22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.
NB: I used New Testament references only.
Since the atheist does not believe their rights come from God then they have to believe their rights come from men. They therefore have no objective basis to oppose slavery and can only rely on personal or group opinion. The group opinion of those in favor of slavery is just as valid if slavery is practiced in a culture. Paul also wrote for masters to not mistreat their slaves. You did not mention that part. Topix atheists did not give one rip about slavery except as depicted in Scripture. That is their real agenda. Discredit Scripture and they simply use slavery as an excuse.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#192327 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Looney tunes?
Here is why you have no credibility on constitutional issues.
"Please don't emanate into the penumbra".
Damn, I'm stuck overnight in Miami due to travel disruptions.

Patagonia has to wait.

I'll look around for the penumbra of Scalia's devil fellow.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#192328 Dec 14, 2013
Creator, not god, and written by a man who wasn't a Christian. So simple even a religitard should be able to understand it.
I_see_you wrote:
It's important that you understand davy that the Declaration of Independence says the word creator in it-----*rolls eyes
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#192329 Dec 14, 2013
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Biblical family values
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Since the atheist does not believe their rights come from God then they have to believe their rights come from men. They therefore have no objective basis to oppose slavery and can only rely on personal or group opinion. The group opinion of those in favor of slavery is just as valid if slavery is practiced in a culture. Paul also wrote for masters to not mistreat their slaves. You did not mention that part. Topix atheists did not give one rip about slavery except as depicted in Scripture. That is their real agenda. Discredit Scripture and they simply use slavery as an excuse.

United States

#192330 Dec 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. I couldn't find Lincoln words that oppose my views.
But I'll keep looking.
You're blinded by the light.

And in any case, it was Jefferson.

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#192331 Dec 14, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Since the atheist does not believe their rights come from God then they have to believe their rights come from men. They therefore have no objective basis to oppose slavery and can only rely on personal or group opinion. The group opinion of those in favor of slavery is just as valid if slavery is practiced in a culture. Paul also wrote for masters to not mistreat their slaves. You did not mention that part. Topix atheists did not give one rip about slavery except as depicted in Scripture. That is their real agenda. Discredit Scripture and they simply use slavery as an excuse.
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

- Abraham Lincoln

United States

#192332 Dec 14, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
There is no excuse for slavery.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#192334 Dec 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
You must be referring to the movie,“Cast Away.”
“Wilson?”
I'm not into romantic comedies.

Location hidden

#192335 Dec 14, 2013
davy wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T reaty_of_Tripoli
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Ratified by the senate and signed by John Adams in 1797
Do you even read your links? Here is a quote from your article.
According to Frank Lambert, Professor of History at Purdue University, the assurances in Article 11 were "intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers." Lambert writes,

"By their actions, the Founding Fathers made clear that their primary concern was religious freedom, not the advancement of a state religion. Individuals, not the government, would define religious faith and practice in the United States. Thus the Founders ensured that in no official sense would America be a Christian Republic. Ten years after the Constitutional Convention ended its work, the country assured the world that the United States was a secular state, and that its negotiations would adhere to the rule of law, not the dictates of the Christian faith. The assurances were contained in the Treaty of Tripoli of 1797 and were intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers.[15]
I don't know what point you are trying to make bringing up Treaty of Tripoli? They were dealing with Muslims. They had no Navy to protect from Muslims aggression and enslavement of U.S. citizens. The early colonies had state churches. That all ended post civil was via a Supreme court decision. The U.S. Government is not absolutely secular.

Location hidden

#192336 Dec 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no excuse for slavery.
That is your opinion. The slave owner who legally owns slaves is of a different opinion and his opinion is equally as valid as yours. If your going to be an atheist Catcher then don't be a punk about it. It is you who believes your rights come from men. Not me. If rights come from men then men can enslave. They can even do genocide.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#192337 Dec 14, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is your opinion. The slave owner who legally owns slaves is of a different opinion and his opinion is equally as valid as yours. If your going to be an atheist Catcher then don't be a punk about it. It is you who believes your rights come from men. Not me. If rights come from men then men can enslave. They can even do genocide.
What?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192338 Dec 14, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words." - Phillip K. Dick
You reminded me of this legislation in Mississippi that forbids an adult to mention the name Richard Dawkins, memes, or even DNA to a minor unless he wants to spend a month in slam and pay up to $500 fine. Here is that piece of enlightened legislation:

5-71-226. Anti-Youth Subversion Act.

(a)(1) It is unlawful for any person eighteen years or older to refer to Richard Dawkins, memes, selfish genes, The Greatest Show on Earth, DNA, and any other publication penned by the person in question, as well as books, periodicals, and/or other media that are based in part on Dawkins' work to a minor.

(b) Any adult found guilty of violating this act will be subject to thirty days (30) of incarceration as well as fine not higher than five hundred (500) dollars.
http://www.laughinginpurgatory.com/2012/07/mi...

=======

But don't worry about these children. Here's a report on what they are allowed to think about, and what they are learning:

"33 Jaw Droppingly Stupid Multiple Choice Questions From The Christian Education Curriculum - This is what happens when you leave education to people for whom religious conversion is everything and learning is a distant afterthought."
http://www.alternet.org/belief/33-jaw-droppin...

=======

Please feel free to weep now for America and the damage that religion does to it citizens every day.

Location hidden

#192339 Dec 14, 2013
davy wrote:
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
Biblical family values
<quoted text>
Other than personal outrage, on what objective basis do you oppose this practice? What are you doing about women being forced into marriages today? Not one thing? Atheists only care about discrediting Scripture and use these passages and i could respond but perhaps you should consult a person who practices Old Testament Judaism as opposed to a Christian where the Old is viewed through the lens of the New. You are like most unbelievers selective in your facts. You do not look at the whole picture because your mind is poisoned by your fixed bias along with your willful ignorance. Here is a little heads up for you.

If the slave girl marries she is no longer a slave but is elevated in status to a wife. Did you get that Einstein? If things don't work out then she is free. Wrap your head around the fact it was a different time in a far away land. Not 21ast century USA..[

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#192340 Dec 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>If you live in America, you live in a nation founded on the belief that rights are endowed by a Creator. You assume that to be God?
But of course, silly.

And Santa Claus is white.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min John Galt 1,231,867
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 5,549
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr State the Obvious 309,849
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr tom wingo 29,760
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) May 17 tom wingo 84
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 15 Pietro Armando 201,808
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) May 12 jay 7
More from around the web