Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#191945 Dec 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Guys.
What about me?
Think about it.
Ok you can come too.
You can drive...where we going? lol

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#191946 Dec 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like that "fake" sign language interpreter that was working the crowds standing next to President Obama during Nelson Mandela's memorial. The people were dancing in the streets there too.
Do you know sign language?

t(-_-)t
UidiotRaceMakeWo rldPeace

United States

#191947 Dec 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. I didn't attend anything, but I saw reports and film clips on the TV news.
L.A. is part of Mexico, didn't you know?
I don't know what with Texas flying the Mexican Flag or is only flown in a few county? As Texas is one of few states that had gone rogue state ,that often wants to be on its own, be no longer part of the Union, nor be a part of the USA.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#191948 Dec 12, 2013
UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know what with Texas flying the Mexican Flag or is only flown in a few county? As Texas is one of few states that had gone rogue state ,that often wants to be on its own, be no longer part of the Union, nor be a part of the USA.
I'd be happy to get rid of Texas.

United States

#191949 Dec 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.riograndesun.com/ar ticles/2013/12/12/cops_courts/ doc52a8e82e730ba133909578.txt
This area is well known for substance abuse for some time, and a ready supply of it. Grandparents have been known to turn their grandchildren on to heroin.
It may as well have been a place where drugs were not illegal.
Two stories. A middle aged junkie dies of an OD, and a middle aged woman dies of alcohol withdrawal. The withdrawal is really odd, but the OD isn't at all uncommon there.
Yep The US is Illegal Drug Capital of the world!

United States

#191950 Dec 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text> I'd be happy to get rid of Texas.
But texas is 1 of 4 State that is doing well financially and economically in this great recession or deprssion , as compare to other 46 State that either in pending or bankrupted.

United States

#191951 Dec 12, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know sign language?
t(-_-)t
hypocritical ,as US marked him as as enemy, do you believe. After Mandela left the world, they took him of list as enemy . WOW!
thewordofme

Tucson, AZ

#191952 Dec 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be happy to get rid of Texas.
Texas seems to be controlled by the religious right. They don't believe in the separation of church and state, and want their schools teach their version of Christianity instead of truth.

I say kick them out of the union and let them go their own way; no great loss.

Be interesting to see how long they would last before sinking into anarchy.

United States

#191953 Dec 12, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas seems to be controlled by the religious right. They don't believe in the separation of church and state, and want their schools teach their version of Christianity instead of truth.
I say kick them out of the union and let them go their own way; no great loss.
Be interesting to see how long they would last before sinking into anarchy.
Bush Dynasty are Texans , and look what they did to US and world with their war machines.

United States

#191954 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We have laws here in America.
Good old-fashioned Christian laws.
One of those is thou shalt not steal.
In America, if you steal somebody's shit, you're supposed to go to jail and pay the penalty.
But we have jackasses like you that find loopholes in the system that keeps gang members on the street, right will you want them.
For an exorbitant fee.
You have no right to talk about morals or generosity, sir.
You're a fuckingloser.
Where IANS left off! Norte not a lib! You trying to blame all on liberal But Bush is not a lib but A war mongering NEOCON! Better look into it!

United States

#191955 Dec 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but let's all try to be nice. It's an area I need to work on myself.
It's about criticizing ideas and maybe bad behavior. I think Buck is wrong, but he is not a simpleton or a jughead. Nor is he an enemy, nor arguing in bad faith.
Sorry, I mostly mild manner it is the bad influences from other thread that got me doing it. But his is a Simpleton , as he support mans without moral can do what to its nation or the world .

As to jugheads, if had shown , if you study history of wars throughout history, as most of the dumbed brainwashed Soldiers of any nation had been trained as killing machines, as showing no/rarw human empathy ,really care less about human lives nor rarely protect civilians human rights/values... but most time for good or bad , but most times only protect coffers of their Pyschopathic leaders corrupted Corporatists agendas, and thier war-for-profiteering schemes, and other ill greedy money world hegemonic agendas. Those who becomes Soldiers lack moral and ethical human values , because they believe in Authoritarian-type system ,kowtow to power and/or even greed...as most time see the world Civilians as an enemy . Did you know Corporatism / predatory capitalism oppose Democractic principles...

Note i have no problem with capitalism but when it goes wrong that is went i have problem with are those soldiers supporting leaders Corporatism Agendas and those corrupted ill money world agendas , are support Predatory capitalism that often involves human scarifice and bloodletting through waging illegal wars for war-for-profittering and for other greedy money worldly Hegemonic agendas
Maybe you do more research into this IANS , you understand what i mean. Any question?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#191956 Dec 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
We are talking about nations, not universes. All we have to do is look around at the different nations for the obvious discernible difference. In some, rights are not endowed by the agreed nature of humanity's creation itself, but by things such as royal lineage, or in some cases, religious belief. I don't know why this is hard.
What is your claim? That America's success is in some way due to the belief that rights come from a god or the Christian god rather than from a king or a group of self-governing people? If so,can you explain how that would be possible?

And if not, just what is your claim for religion, Christianity, god belief or anything else in that department? Do you claim that we owe a debt to any of those, or that we could not have accomplished exactly the same thing without such an idea? In other words, how does the idea that rights might be related to the supernatural or the belief in same matter at all? In what palpable, demonstrable sense can you assert that such words aren't meaningless?

I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer: none.

Fennario

#191957 Dec 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
[God-given rights] was a useful fiction..
Do you think so? Perhaps.

It's hard to imagine how or why things might have progressed less well without that fiction, unless it would be because of a near universal belief in a god and the need to believe that it wouldn't punish them. If so, then this would be a case of religion solving another problem that it created, the way that a cigarette meets a need.
Tide with Beach wrote:
I'd rather live in a nation where the citizens know that rights are imaginary constructs only as real as the power of the government that provides them.
Agreed. God beliefs are no more helpful than cigarettes.

I would add that as well as the power to enforce rights, that there also needs to be the will to do so, or you have nothing - god or no god.

Fennario

#191958 Dec 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No sweat. They say patience is a virtue. I agree. I say honesty is a virtue, also. When you're wrong, you're wrong. Ya know? I'm out. Got a nice three day weekend planned with Mrs RR. Later, Mater. Take care of Buck for me while I'm away....
Have fun.

See you later, masturbater
After a while, pedophile.

Fennario

#191959 Dec 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.riograndesun.com/ar ticles/2013/12/12/cops_courts/ doc52a8e82e730ba133909578.txt
This area is well known for substance abuse for some time, and a ready supply of it. Grandparents have been known to turn their grandchildren on to heroin. It may as well have been a place where drugs were not illegal. Two stories. A middle aged junkie dies of an OD, and a middle aged woman dies of alcohol withdrawal. The withdrawal is really odd, but the OD isn't at all uncommon there.
Alcohol withdrawal induced brain damage and/or death are not infrequent. It results from abrupt withdrawal without supervision. Unremitting seizures - status epilepticus - are common, constitute a medical emergency, and require an immediate medical intervention..

Unsupervised heroin withdrawal is much safer, and tends to be lethal only when there is a dangerous underlying medical condition like critical coronary atherosclerosis or a cerebral aneurysm, in which case the stress of withdrawal can lead to death. This is how Jerry Garcia died, and it happened in a rehab clinic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Garcia#Dea...

Fennario

#191960 Dec 13, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." - Charles Bukowski
Good one, Juice.

Russell said something very similar. I don't know which was first, but Russell was 42 years older:

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell

This seems to be related to the idea that the more you know, the more you realize what you don't know, and the less rigid and dogmatic you become.

Fennario

#191961 Dec 13, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I had a Nanny until I was 16. She was cool. Her hair was prematurely grey for some reason.
Wolf spiders down her blouse, Wednesday?

Fennario

#191962 Dec 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
If God speaks to someone to give a poor person food and shelter. I would hardly say thatís a mental illness.
I agree with that, provided we mean that he doesn't literally hear voices, but merely interprets an urge as a calling.

Religious belief can cause mental illness, but is not a mental illness in the way that the medical profession uses the term.

It is, however, dysfunctional thinking - any thinking that contradicts reason is - that can lead to harm to self and others. The Branch Davidian thing may be an example of this, although I am suspending judgment there until I have finished learning about what options the cult members had during the siege. The Jonestown and Heaven's Gate incidents are clear examples of how faith and a contempt for reason can lead to death. "God" doesn't always call people to do charitable acts.

But even in these cases, it is more of a cultural defect than a mental illness in the medical sense, as it is not an endogenous, neurochemical mental defect, but one that is taught.

Please forgive what must sound like offensive opinions. An open-minded and objective discussion of the matter of faith must also consider its limitations and the harm it does.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#191963 Dec 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Good one, Juice.

Russell said something very similar. I don't know which was first, but Russell was 42 years older:

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell

This seems to be related to the idea that the more you know, the more you realize what you don't know, and the less rigid and dogmatic you become.
It's an accurate philosophy, in my opinion.

I've also found that the more I learn, the less I have to say, thanks Teddy.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#191964 Dec 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
This area is well known for substance abuse for some time, and a ready supply of it. Grandparents have been known to turn their grandchildren on to heroin.
It may as well have been a place where drugs were not illegal.
Two stories. A middle aged junkie dies of an OD, and a middle aged woman dies of alcohol withdrawal. The withdrawal is really odd, but the OD isn't at all uncommon there.
Well, in the grandparents defense, heroin's a lot cheaper than Disney World...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Rattlesnake Pete 1,743,789
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Radio Flyer 3016 336,522
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Trojan 35,795
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mar 28 Lonnie Peters 201,480
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 24 Wisdom of Ages 12,331
News Purdue and IU? On Valentine's day? Not anymore (Feb '07) Mar '18 Painter Phartse 73
News Walker IV hits 5 3s, scores 19, Miami beats Not... Feb '18 ScoresPhartse 2