Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256140 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190813 Dec 8, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Of course not.

You look fabulous in that dress, and I've already rented a tux.
He's into dresses? Well I'll be.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#190814 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. I will add, he seems to start with the name calling when confused. Is he a christian?
No, Buck has his own "religion."

He does believe in the supernatural, and in reincarnation.

But to his credit, he doesn't adhere to any dogma.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#190815 Dec 8, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
So then it was just another lie.
Got it.
Does RR do anything else but lie ?

He's pathological.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#190816 Dec 8, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not.
You look fabulous in that dress, and I've already rented a tux.
I just gave you a chance to be honest.

You failed.

There is no date.

Aw shucks.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#190817 Dec 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The word "brainwashing" connotes a self-serving or malevolent intent, generally to enlist the cooperation of somebody to serve the interests of others against his own. It's not helpful to also use this word to describe what we would consider loving instruction done in the service of the one being taught.
In general, if you have two words and two ideas, it is better to let each word stand for one idea rather than have them both mean both things.
For example, we have the words "unbelief" and "disbelief," which are used more or less interchangeably, and the ideas of not accepting something as proven yet, and the idea of considering it wrong - two ideas that are continually being confused in this thread. Wouldn't it be conducive to clearer thought if we made a clear distinction between these two ideas and gave them each one of the two words?
The refusal or inability of some of these people to communicate effectively is one of the reasons I'm not as motivated to contribute here.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190818 Dec 8, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>The refusal or inability of some of these people to communicate effectively is one of the reasons I'm not as motivated to contribute here.
Your laughter was appreciated.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#190819 Dec 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Buck has his own "religion."
He does believe in the supernatural, and in reincarnation.
But to his credit, he doesn't adhere to any dogma.
It's more like a "Buckma"... or a "pigma"?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#190820 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I just gave you a chance to be honest.
You failed.
There is no date.
Aw shucks.
It's okay.

Maybe Buck will take you dancing.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#190822 Dec 8, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more like a "Buckma"... or a "pigma"?
It's infinitely entertaining.

Location hidden

#190823 Dec 8, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Your laughter was appreciated.
Thank Eagle. Mine was an involuntary reaction.

When he's all serious and stuff about his Jesus whackery, I just can't help myself.

Location hidden

#190824 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It is my contention that some of the so-called Christian posted on Topix are not Christians at all, but atheists posing as Christians to denigrate Christianity.
I would think it likely that the reverse is true, too.
Seems like a total waste of time.
Those pretending to be atheists give themselves away by serving their agenda.

All one has to do to serve the agenda of making Christianity look bad, is adhere as closely as possible to as much as possible of the Bible.

Location hidden

#190825 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I disagree.
Indoctrination is a teaching method, yes.
But I don't see it in any way a forceful teaching method.
It's up to the pupil to decide if they want to listen to the teacher.
Even under the heading of "religious indoctrination", there are countless methods by which this is achieved.

Religious indoctrination cannot be carried out without manipulation. Even if it could be, which would be the case if the claims were backed by evidence, it wouldn't be, because of the way religion has evolved to perpetuate itself.

The average church is a brainwashing factory.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#190826 Dec 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It only costs jobs because of greedy corporations and business owners.
Actually the demand for higher wages is exactly what has driven everything over seas. The unions and such have destroyed our ability to compete with the rest of the world. This has forced us to the building only the ultra expensive things where price is no object.
We are very good at that, if you need war planes, attack helicopters, small arms, munitions, tanks or bombs.
Can I interest you in a flying electric cannon?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#190827 Dec 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the demand for higher wages is exactly what has driven everything over seas. The unions and such have destroyed our ability to compete with the rest of the world. This has forced us to the building only the ultra expensive things where price is no object.
We are very good at that, if you need war planes, attack helicopters, small arms, munitions, tanks or bombs.
Can I interest you in a flying electric cannon?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1Oc-xbpy-OIXX
.. that's one philosophy ..

.. then, there's the flip side of the coin ..

.. why do you think Henry Ford decided to pay his employees twice the going hourly wage ??..

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#190828 Dec 8, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. that's one philosophy ..
.. then, there's the flip side of the coin ..
.. why do you think Henry Ford decided to pay his employees twice the going hourly wage ??..
Aura is right. Unions are the biggest detriment to a stable economy. They were needed at one point in time but they've served their purpose and they're now out of control. They're now just another political arm. They have to feed the machine. They are a hindrance to employment. They bit the hand that fed them one too many times and that led to outsourcing.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." ~ John Dalberg-Acton
UidiotRaceMAKEOW ORLDPEACE

United States

#190829 Dec 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura is right. Unions are the biggest detriment to a stable economy. They were needed at one point in time but they've served their purpose and they're now out of control. They're now just another political arm. They have to feed the machine. They are a hindrance to employment. They bit the hand that fed them one too many times and that led to outsourcing.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." ~ John Dalberg-Acton
I somewhat disagree with you assement as Corporatism is kililng and buyout and even corrupting Unions with financial rewards, threats....

If you look at some of good Unions like SEIU is protecting Workers from being labor rights abuses by predatory corps.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#190830 Dec 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's infinitely entertaining.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#190831 Dec 8, 2013
UidiotRaceMAKEOWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>I somewhat disagree with you assement as Corporatism is kililng and buyout and even corrupting Unions with financial rewards, threats....
If you look at some of good Unions like SEIU is protecting Workers from being labor rights abuses by predatory corps.
Much as I care for River, and I really care for River, I'm with you on this one.

Location hidden

#190832 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm not comfortable with a man of your advanced years using words like "dissing".
It's just wrong.
ya dig?
Why?

What's wrong about it?

Seems like an irrational prejudice to me.

Location hidden

#190833 Dec 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's the day the world celebrates the birth of Jesus.
It's not His birthdate, that is unknown.
Yes, Jesus was born.
Historians and scholars worldwide have confirmed that.
Not exactly.

Christmas, for Christians, is a celebration of the birth of a deity, not a human being.

These "historians and scholars worldwide" may acknowledge the high probability of the existence of a mortal regular human man as "Jesus", but it's really ONLY Christians that believe in the Christmas Jesus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Notliz 1,406,614
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 27 Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Jul 27 ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jul 27 IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web