Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#190645 Dec 8, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>THC is not an additive - it's the active ingredient in weed. And yes, THC levels have been rising, but that's not from tampering or any adulterants being added, it's from improved cultivating techniques. And that doesn't make it any more dangerous, just more potent, so you simply have to smoke less to achieve the desired effect. You could smoke 20 joints and be fine (you'd be so high you'd want to die, but I mean fine as in "not dead").
As for people "spiking" weed with other drugs - yes, that's completely a myth. I'm sure that it has happened of course, but to say it's a widespread or even occasional phenomenon is simply wrong. It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Why give away free drugs at worst, or cut into your profit at best?
It's not a myth.

I once smoked weed laced with cocaine.

The strangest trip I've ever had.

I remember taking a shower, looking at the showerhead and seeing the rainbow colored water twirling and twisting at me.

O_o

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#190646 Dec 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Raising the minimum wage would help.
Raising the minimum wage would make it worse.

That's simply a tax and a handout.

Jobs would be lost, more people on assistance.

If you want to help, eliminate the minimum wage.

...Liberals are incapable of understanding economics.

That's why they vote for democrats.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190647 Dec 8, 2013
Luke1981 wrote:
How is it that the meticulous Roman record keepers have no record of his existence?
They do.

Tacitus comes to mind.

Go to the googlers.

You'll see.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190648 Dec 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Your comfort level is not a factor in my posting.
We gotta work on that.

I'm sensitive.

i need your help.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190649 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I was addressing benefit or counter productivity to the economy, not whether some individual or group's life is better.
I think we have a different idea of what is important, and what the function of the government is. It's not about the economy:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Incidentally, none of this is to try to change your mind or any other mind that agrees with yours. I am well past thinking that that is possible. In my experience, there is no amount of data, no evidence, and no argument - however reasonable, however self-evident - that will budge people once they are where you are.

What I'm trying to do here is illustrate the problem, which I consider intractable. I see no solution for the nation. We must each find our own solutions as individuals.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190650 Dec 8, 2013
Most people celebrating Christmas aren't thinking about Jesus at all. They're thinking about presents, reindeer, trees, tinsel and turkey dinner.
Please tell me how you know what most people are thinking about.
I think you just changed your definition of celebrate. When we were discussion Saturnalia, you seemed to imply that to celebrate something, you had to acknowledge what it was that you were celebrating. Now it seems that you mean that having a ritual is enough, whatever your thoughts are.
No that's not what I meant.

Nobody celebrates Saturnalia anymore, so it's quite strange to see someone wish someone else a "Happy Saturnalia".

Then I remember how much atheists loathe Christmas.

WHY?

Because it's all about Jesus.

If it weren't, all y'all'd be saying Merry Christmas...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190651 Dec 8, 2013
We don't fight Christmas. We fight the Christian church trying to encroach on our lives, and of Christians trying to monopolize the winter solstice celebrations.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ya, all those evil nativity scenes and religious Christmas songs screw up your taxes every year, huh?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Another great argument from you.
It's probably best for you that you rebut these cartoonish straw men of yours rather than the actual arguments.
It's pretty good for your opposition, too.
I don't understand your meaning of encroach.

What is teh church doing that's encroaching on your freedoms?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#190652 Dec 8, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the military created the demand for methamphetamine. To keep troops awake during WW II, high doses were distributed to soldiers and meth addicts were born ..
.. heroin? A large number of U.S. servicemen returning from Vietnam self-identified as heroin addicts. Did you know the CIA may hve created the current Afghan heroin trade ??..
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/11/11/cia-c...
.. how about the Iran-Contra drug scandal ??..
.. in many instances, it seems governments are the actual cause of the problem. You agree, right ??..
Did the government give meth to truck drivers and housewives?

I knew a vet that was a heroin addict. The addiction was the prime motivator for most of his outfit to look forward to ambushing and killing NVA. The NVA carried rations of heroin on them. Their sacrifices weren't just because of their great patriotism and love of the communist system.

How about how about, huh?

So, how about since they are already here, how about everyone just get stoned and comfortably numb? Or super animated. You think the government should put those dealers out of business by supplying everyone? Bypass the middle men?

You did read that link about the lotus eaters? Hard to get things done when everyone is stoned. Great method for the advancement of mankind you have envisioned there, kid.

Location hidden

#190653 Dec 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirituality without acceptance of transcendence demonstrates there is more "in there," in the amazing human brain, not "out there" beyond the natural world.
Not many people are seeking to connect to their brains.

Most already are.

If you are so determined to avoid spiritual matters, you have the option of not talking about it.

If you reject that option, and talk about it, you then become encumbered by it. You are obligated to talk about it as what it is.

It's not the same as finding out you can do long division.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190654 Dec 8, 2013
Good research (by you). That's more like it.
YAY
As for the research you cited, I'm not sure how good it is.
Lung function can be measured, and the claims about it reproduced, so I accept those findings.
I can't account for smoking pot improving lung function. It's highly counterintuitive. The findings seem to suggest that smoking is actually good for you, but that tar and nicotine counter those effects when it is tobacco that is smoked.
Or maybe it's not smoking per se that is salubrious, but something in the marijuana, although that seems unlikely as well.
The article you quoted < http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/2401... > didn't define causal, nor did it compare the lung functions of what it called casual and chronic smokers. I have enjoyed smoking pot most days of my life for over four decades, and my pulmonary functions, "are at or above average for my age and gender"
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Incidentally, that post and the tests I did on myself antedate this research. I was quite surprised by them myself, and didn't expect to be believed when I posted those results.
Interesting.

I've been smoking cigarettes for roughly 20 years and have started to notice heavier breathing.

Am I gonna quit? Unlikely. I rather enjoy it.

Stupid, I know.

But seriously? You've got healthy lungs after 40 years? How often do you smoke?
I don't accept the part about marijuana dependence. I have frequently gone a week or longer without pot - every time I travel or move to a new location - and there simply is no drug dependence. I experience no symptoms of withdrawal - no, "irritability, sleeplessness, anxiety, impaired appetite,[or] aggression."
I only have my brother to go off of. That's my "study".

He gets very irritable when he's out of weed. He's very, very dependent on it. He wakes up in the morning and grabs his pipe, not his coffee cup. Smokes weed all day long.
There is a huge industry dedicated to idea that marijuana use is a problem that needs rehabilitation, just as there is one for homosexuality. I see them as similar in their motivation and their scientific foundations.
In the end, what we have are two bodies of literature: science that consistently shows benefits to pot smoking, some of which I have previously shared with you < http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... >, and nonscientific pieces that assume that pot smoking is dangerous. We see evidence of both in your post above.
Incidentally, the nonscientific part of your post that I rejected came from one of those treatment centers I was referring to:
http://www.caron.org/knowledge-library/addict...
That's why linking to your source is important. You need to know the motivations. JAMA's agenda is to further the knowledge of medical issues. Caron Treatment Centers has a different agenda.
I'm sorry, I couldn't link the source. My work computer is just a "terminal" and doesn't have a browser or anything. That's why I put it in quotes, I figured you go to the googlers and see for yourself.

Fennario

#190655 Dec 8, 2013
For me and a lot of other people, Christmas isn't much different in terms of significance from Halloween or Thanksgiving.
Buck Crick wrote:
I'll agree with you on Thanksgiving. I think Thanksgiving is superior to Christmas as a holiday. It lasts only one day. You don't have to buy anyone anything. And you get football on TV to watch. People have gotten crazy with the Christmas stuff. It's all about buying a bunch of fake, plastic junk, and doing so out of nothing but obligation.
Agreed. The holiday is a mockery considering of what Riverside Redneck thinks it is. I'd rather celebrate the "rebirth" of the (real) sun like the ancients. Pagan holidays rock compared to the empty remembrances I grew up with.

Halloween is also better than Christmas. The gifts are more reasonable and easier to shop for, the themes and decorations are more interesting, you get a little exercise, costumes are a big plus, and the colors - orange and black - are better. What is worse than red and green? Maybe pink and grey.

Location hidden

#190656 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I think we have a different idea of what is important, and what the function of the government is. It's not about the economy:
"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
That is about the economy.

Securing the blessings of liberty means the government should interfere with the economy as little as possible, and allowing the maximum freedom of enterprise helps insure domestic tranquility.

That's why the Constitution was written to prohibit income taxes.

But that was back when we had a Constitution.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190657 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I wonder who promoted that idea to you.
How much do you think Bill Gates would have made if he had been born and educated in Cameroon? Forget that he would likely have be hypoliterate and had no access to computers. Suppose he overcame that, and then tried to develop and market his product in that infrastructure and economy? Do you still think that the American people are not entitled to even a percent of the profits from that success?
LOL, no way.

Bill Gates' fortune is his own. The American people aren't "entitled" to his earnings in no way, shape or form.

Even the promotion of the idea seem ludicrous to me.

Fennario

#190658 Dec 8, 2013
TheBigFisherman wrote:
However, Christmas is for Faithful Christians who like to praise our Lord Jesus Christ.
In that case, Merry Christmas to both of you. Most of the country has forgotten that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190659 Dec 8, 2013
You are ridiculous.
I'm sorry.

Catcher once called me amazing.

I left the money on the dresser.

Standard procedures and all...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190660 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax dollars? You're kidding?
It's a federal holiday!
You would have a point if employees were also instructed not to wish the public "Happy New Year", or "Have a nice Fourth of July".
No, the status quo has been that retail businesses consider it a gesture of good will and appreciation to wish patrons a merry Christmas.
Muddling the issue as you just did glosses over the main point.
That point is this: Advocates of secularism are bullying the public toward their point of view, which is, that expressions of a holiday with the word "Christ" in it should be suppressed.
We all know what is at work.
Last time I took notice, signs erected by taxpayer funds still welcome people to "San Fransisco", and "Corpus Christi".
And nobody has been instructed to call a menorah "Holiday Candles"
The actions alluded to are specifically anti-christian. Each can decide if that's good or bad, but it is the case.
<<standing applause>>

Bravo, sir!

Top marks.

I'd put a few dollars in your thong but I'm out.

Next time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190661 Dec 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Raising the minimum wage would help.
No it wouldn't.

Raising the minimum wage would only raise the price of everything else.

Do you wanna pay $8 for a gallon of milk?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190662 Dec 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked for my advice.
I gave it to you.
You aren't taking it.
Be smart enough to not take stupid advice.

-Me

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190663 Dec 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That is about the economy.
Securing the blessings of liberty means the government should interfere with the economy as little as possible, and allowing the maximum freedom of enterprise helps insure domestic tranquility.
That's why the Constitution was written to prohibit income taxes.
But that was back when we had a Constitution.
I remember watching Little House on the Prairie many years ago.

They were talking about income taxes.

"An income tax?! Never happen in a thousand years..."

http://youtu.be/3zA2oLBvU7Q

If only.

Location hidden

#190664 Dec 8, 2013
<quoted text>
You don't have a problem putting those two sentences down next to one another?
<quoted text>
What's the steep handling charge, and who is getting it?
By the way, are you willing to take on that responsibility?
The handling charge is paying a bereaucracy to sit on its ass.

One of my favorite handling charge examples is when President Obamajab flew his dog to Martha's Vineyard on Air Force One.

Another is Michelle's $5,000 purse. Or the motorcade tying up traffic and police manpower during the World Series so he'd be sure to be noticed.

In this particular discussion, I have addressed economic principles, not what responsibilities government should or should not have. My point is the cost to the economy.

It is an issue today, as we notice rank idiots like Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama claiming that food stamps and unemployment payments help the economy.

Idiot Marxists. That's who we turned it over to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Provost Utah 1,520,737
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Susanm 313,923
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr SomePhaarts 32,913
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 20 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr 20 DelucaKoehn 11
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 18 RNC 11,137
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Apr 8 Allycat1999 290
More from around the web