Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256560 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#190311 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
Since atheists don't believe in the supernatural, superstitions, or any out of the "ordinary", they can't define it because they don't believe it exists. It would be beyond their means.
Or something like that.
Yes, you could say it takes a certain religious orientation to define it.
Now, what kind of nonsense are you going to come up with to say you can define you know nothing of? Eh?
The first few words from your link read as follows:

"The term spirituality lacks a definitive definition"

Spirituality is not something that only the religious get to define.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#190312 Dec 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, everybody in the private sector is totally honest and would never cheat to improve profits.
And they don't need to be regulated, either, because they're all just so goddamned honest and ethical.
Yaknow?
Putting the biggest liars in charge of the biggest crooks always works out the best. If you're a liar or a crook, the only real solution Aero, is to purge ourselves of liars and crooks.
There are many good people with honest concerns like you convey here, unfortunately it seems none of them are in charge of the big corporations or our government.
Nobody

Miami, FL

#190313 Dec 7, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The first few words from your link read as follows:
"The term spirituality lacks a definitive definition"
Spirituality is not something that only the religious get to define.
True - Anyone can define spirituality.

But atheists are excluded from believing in it. An atheist has no choice but to reduce every observed thing to matter. All things spiritual , by definition transcend matter.
Nobody

Miami, FL

#190314 Dec 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting the biggest liars in charge of the biggest crooks always works out the best. If you're a liar or a crook, the only real solution Aero, is to purge ourselves of liars and crooks.
There are many good people with honest concerns like you convey here, unfortunately it seems none of them are in charge of the big corporations or our government.
It's easy to be good when it's hard to be bad. The average joe doesn't really have the power to do bad. Corporate execs and government leaders lie, steal and cheat with relative impunity.

It's hard to be good when it is easy to be bad.

We are all corporate scumbags waiting for our opportunity to exercise human tendency to screw our fellow man.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190315 Dec 7, 2013
darksoul wrote:
<quoted text>pot is a schedule 1 drug, which mean's it's classified along with herion and coke, which is ridicules!! altho the law's where i live and many other places have become relaxed a lil, some states have went all out with pot, sadly the state i'm from hasn't yet! pot to alotta people that has never tried it, u know like some1 would try acid for the first time and b like eooeoooeooooeeoo acid, no thank's, but then u try it and it's like that sh..it ant nuttn!! i have took some "vitamin a" that was somethin tho, i am an convicted drug trafficker n my state, i just got off parole, nov. 12th of this year. i know a lil bout a lil somethin, somethin......sorry, i don't know why i interjected myself n ur conversation..... must b sumthin n the air.....
right you are, no need to apologise :)

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#190316 Dec 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>With the private sector, you can take your business elsewhere.

That's a proper incentive.
Really?

Always?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#190317 Dec 7, 2013
Nobody wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy to be good when it's hard to be bad. The average joe doesn't really have the power to do bad. Corporate execs and government leaders lie, steal and cheat with relative impunity.
It's hard to be good when it is easy to be bad.
We are all corporate scumbags waiting for our opportunity to exercise human tendency to screw our fellow man.
Hard to be bad? Are you nuts? You seem to have a very jaded opinion.
Or have you just lead a sheltered existence?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#190318 Dec 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Always?
No, in some cases there are monopolies. Private enterprise is the best path. We need more of it, not less. More government stifles free enterprise and destroys incentive.

Every recession and depression have been caused by government.

Every dollar taken from the private economy and put into government is counter productive to the success of the people.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#190319 Dec 7, 2013
There's no hiding from facts.

Although a church can be good camouflage.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#190320 Dec 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, in some cases there are monopolies. Private enterprise is the best path. We need more of it, not less. More government stifles free enterprise and destroys incentive.
Every recession and depression have been caused by government.
Every dollar taken from the private economy and put into government is counter productive to the success of the people.
Well, at least McDonald's employees know how much to tip their au pairs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/...

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#190321 Dec 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to research that to get your joke. I hadn't heard of Noddy or Big Ears before your post. As far as I know, this story never got to the States.
No comment:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ID1HJDRGf7w/UTWFY3V...
Really?! I remember them from when I was a kid.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#190322 Dec 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to research that to get your joke. I hadn't heard of Noddy or Big Ears before your post. As far as I know, this story never got to the States.
No comment:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ID1HJDRGf7w/UTWFY3V...
Actually, your cartoon could be taken in a very adult way. LOL

*raises eyebrows*
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#190323 Dec 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least McDonald's employees know how much to tip their au pairs.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/...
Hi cupcake

“True Blue”

New Holland

#190324 Dec 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is much more dangerous in the minds of teenagers and younger.
Yet it's still legal.
Touche'!

“True Blue”

New Holland

#190325 Dec 7, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Beer causes man boobs and in some, it also causes Oppositional Defiance Disorder.
Anything that puts weight on a bloke, then leads to man boobs.

At least beer might mean he still gets laid.
:D

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190327 Dec 7, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Anything that puts weight on a bloke, then leads to man boobs.

At least beer might mean he still gets laid.
:D
Lol.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#190328 Dec 7, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you honestly think your area makes up the majority of marijuana in the whole world? There are many many strains and as a plant, it is natural.
Sure, people add stuff to it but not always and in its natural state, it is a natural plant.
Semantics.
Yes the old Cannabis sativa is a natural plant. Nowadays bush buds still are, but not the hydro form which is chocka with chemicals.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#190329 Dec 7, 2013
Nobody wrote:
<quoted text>
True - Anyone can define spirituality.
But atheists are excluded from believing in it. An atheist has no choice but to reduce every observed thing to matter. All things spiritual , by definition transcend matter.
From Amon Ra to Zeus and the hundreds of gods in between - I don't believe in any of them.

Yet that non-belief certainly doesn't exclude me from the sense of awe and wonderment that the religious may feel. All I need do is look up at the night sky and contemplate just how small and insignificant we actually are in the face of the cosmos. No need to resort to the supernatural.

If you're saying that only the religious get to define spirituality, then let's take away the common denominators of awe and wonder.

What does that leave us with?

It leaves us with any one or more of hundreds of gods from Amon Ra to Zeus.

Except that the religious can't demonstrate that their god(s) of choice are for real; all they can do is pretend to know stuff they don't know.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190330 Dec 7, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Yes the old Cannabis sativa is a natural plant. Nowadays bush buds still are, but not the hydro form which is chocka with chemicals.
Very true, I really wish people would do more independent research. Sigh.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#190331 Dec 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I visited Mark Twain's home, in Hartford, Conn., a few weeks ago.
He was a very intelligent, decent, creative, special guy.
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, yes he was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min USAsince1680 1,419,258
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 32,332
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr zef 311,625
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Fri Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web