Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#189914 Dec 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So YOU planted the idea of eternal, unimaginably painful torture in their overly imaginative minds and don't think that instilled just a teeny amount of fear in them?
Even smacking a 6 month old isn't THAT bad.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
You misunderstand. Again.
I also planted the idea in their heads that a bullet in the brain would be a bad thing.
I guess that means if they put a bullet in their head, it's my fault.
Fuckingliberals.
.. the implication is clear ..

.. a warning is an educational tool that is usually used to instill fear. Warnings of hell have been utilized as a pedagogical tool by clerics to convert infidels for centuries. Plainly, such warnings can spawn horror, especially in the mind of a young person ..

.. if the idea of hell isn't a warning, why tell anyone about the concept ??..

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189915 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't fear Hell because it poses no threat to me.
I am convinced that it exists.
I'm also convinced that some people fear it.
I'm not one of them.
I'm better than that.
You have no fear of people you care about ending up there?

And fear had nothing to do with you taking steps so that it poses no threat to you?

That's not believable.

Further, "I'm better than that" is not even the Christian source of security from Hell.

The actual teaching is that you are not better than that, but have only had grace applied to pardon you from your non-better-ness.

Location hidden

#189916 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You have something that you imagined, something you believe without evidence, that's NOT anything factual. Once again, I have no problem with your beliefs, but when you state them as factual, it's a little irrational.
I didn't state "my beliefs" as factual.

What I stated as factual is that I have evidence.

You stated that I do not.

You are, as usual, wrong.

Not only are you wrong, you cannot even rightly state the question about which you go on to be wrong.

Would you like me to tell you why, Bert, that you are both wrong about the question, and wrong about the conclusion?

Huh?

OK, I'll tell you.

It's because you are a stupid sonuvabitch.

(The stupid is factual; sonuvabitch - educated guess)
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#189917 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You imagine that he imagines it.
Imagine that.
When someone says they know about the fish Gods from Neptune, I pretty much KNOW they are "imagining" them. See how that works? No I suppose you don't, oh well!!!!!!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#189918 Dec 5, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>"Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honor is humility" Proverbs 18:12. "And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem". Isaiah 8:14. It is a sin to look on the face of God. Isaiah 6:5.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. That was quite uplifting. I think I now have the strength to face another day.
Yeah.

I was going to have cereal before I read the post by susanblange and opted for bacon and eggs instead.

GlOrY! gLoRy! GLOREEE!

Location hidden

#189919 Dec 5, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So YOU planted the idea of eternal, unimaginably painful torture in their overly imaginative minds and don't think that instilled just a teeny amount of fear in them?
Even smacking a 6 month old isn't THAT bad.
<quoted text>
.. a warning is an educational tool that is usually used to instill fear. Warnings of hell have been utilized as a pedagogical tool by clerics to convert infidels for centuries. Plainly, such warnings can spawn horror, especially in the mind of a young person ..
You are right.

Hell is a tool of fear and control.

Also, it is a tool for profit.

The Catholic Church sold absolutions for years. A loved one dies, the widow or child or parent pays the church the proper fee, or deeds the church a piece of land, and the priest can pray them right out of hell's waiting room, and into heaven,...

AFTER THEY ARE DEAD!

And the Catholic Church is now rich.

The doctrine of "Limbo" is even worse than this.

Location hidden

#189920 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When someone says they know about the fish Gods from Neptune, I pretty much KNOW they are "imagining" them. See how that works? No I suppose you don't, oh well!!!!!!
No, they are more likely just lying.

Wrong again, BlueSpitoon.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#189921 Dec 5, 2013
What's America's recurring issue with alcohol?

It's legal to drink out aged 18 in the UK, aged 16 with a meal. In the home it is legal to drink aged 5, although I barely drank anything alcoholic until aged 14.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/...
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.gainesvilletimes.co m/archives/5096/
All Topix atheists that didn't start using drugs or alcohol in their teens, don't raise your hand.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#189922 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And fear had nothing to do with you taking steps so that it poses no threat to you?
That's not believable.
Further, "I'm better than that" is not even the Christian source of security from Hell.
The actual teaching is that you are not better than that, but have only had grace applied to pardon you from your non-better-ness.
.. just WOW ..

.. the threat of hell is faith in reverse gear ..

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189923 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:

No.
That's not believable.
Why not?

I know that a lion could kill me in seconds, but lions don't pose a threat to me so I don't fear them. There are no lions were I live.

There are, however, Black Widows everywhere. They pose a threat, so I fear them.
Correct. It's my ego, my confidence.
The actual teaching is that you are not better than that, but have only had grace applied to pardon you from your non-better-ness
Grace was applied to me?

Location hidden

#189924 Dec 5, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
I understand that. I've heard plenty of pastors, and people here, threaten an eternity in Hell for this and that.

It's a coward's tactic.

Too many people try to use the fear of Hell as a reason to turn to God. I disagree and I don't use that tactic.

Anybody here that has posted with me know is that I've never threatened anybody with Hell. Ever.

That's left for the waaaasuuup's out there.....

Location hidden

#189925 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You've never seen me tie one on.

The Crimson Tide boosters club paid a fortune in bar repairs just so I could stay eligible for 3 years.

I wish I could remember more of it.

Location hidden

#189926 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
<quoted text>
Why not?
I know that a lion could kill me in seconds, but lions don't pose a threat to me so I don't fear them. There are no lions were I live.
There are, however, Black Widows everywhere. They pose a threat, so I fear them.
<quoted text>
Correct. It's my ego, my confidence.
<quoted text>
Grace was applied to me?
You are dodging in and out of Christian theology when it suits you.

I really don't care, and don't wish to argue your beliefs.

If you are a Christian, you fear hell for yourself and others.

And you are commissioned to warn others, and use that fear of Hell as motivation for them to partake of the offered pardon from Hell.

If you are not a Christian, then none of this necessarily applies, and you can say anything you want about Hell, especially since it's a made up deal.

But if you are not a Christian, it's odd that you think Hell exists.

It is doubly-odd, and not believable, that you think it exists and is no threat.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#189927 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's legal to drink out aged 18 in the UK, aged 16 with a meal. In the home it is legal to drink aged 5, although I barely drank anything alcoholic until aged 14.
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/...
<quoted text>
Fourteen year olds think it's cool to get drunk away from their parents.

Not just a drink with dinner, getting blasted.

I was 21 before I drank alcohol, and 26 before smoking pot.

There was a bottle of Southern Comfort kept for medicinal purposes in a kitchen cabinet in our house for 10 years that had maybe 4 tablespoons taken from it. My parents had relatives that were drunks. My father ran apricot brandy during Prohibition for a while. They knew what alcohol did.

A glass of wine with dinner is fine. Getting smashed on whiskey isn't. Rots your brain and then your gut if you start too early to know better.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#189928 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't fear Hell.
Do you?
Of course you don't fear hell.
You live in Riverside.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189929 Dec 5, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
I take my imaginary hat off to you, I haven't the patience, plus I think my pony tail is too severe today, might have to sort my hair out so I can think better.
You're a treasure, Juice.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#189930 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are commissioned to warn others, and use that fear of Hell as motivation for them to partake of the offered pardon from Hell.
If you are not a Christian, then none of this necessarily applies, and you can say anything you want about Hell, especially since it's a made up deal.
It is doubly-odd, and not believable, that you think it exists and is no threat.
The problem in trying to have a discussion with RR is that he is a dishonest person.

His dishonesty is repeatedly reflected in his posts.

If there is a hell, he has a good chance of ending up there.

I forget which circle, but there's one for that sort of person.

Fennario

#189931 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
The "by the sweat of the brow" situation we've inherited is hard enough for healthy persons, how much harder for those encumbered with all the myriad adversity that affects us. Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And there it is again. Life is a shit sandwich, and every day is another bite, right? "Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man." Only man has made man's life better. Do you like your freedom and rights? Men created that. Do you like running water and electricity? Man did that, too. If your god exists, he sits idly by.
Buck Crick wrote:
Oh? Ideas don't always come from books. Sometimes knowing is only in the head. Sometimes not. Thomas Edison, who did a thing or two with electricity, would go for months without going to bed. He would fall asleep at his work desk while working on a project.
He learned to sit with ball bearings in his hand. When he drifted just into early sleep stage, the bearings would hit the floor, and he would wake up. According to him, this is when he got some of his best ideas.
You remember Mozart?
I don't see the connection between our two posts.

Location hidden

#189932 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it wasn't a threat.

I said it wasn't a threat to me.

I'm not dodging in and out of anything, I'm pointing out my beliefs.

Hope that helps.

Fennario

#189933 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Mankind and nature in general is wonderful, im happy to be born in such an age and have participated in much, in my work.
Good to know. And you seem like a fairly happy and well adjusted person.

But then out comes the darkness, which probably isn't really you, but others speaking through you. This is why I tend to criticize the church and its ideology rather than the Christian. You're not the bad guy here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min No Surprize 1,109,277
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 min Chosen Traveler 27,346
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr cpeter1313 305,557
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 5 hr ploppers 200,936
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••