Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
182,121 - 182,140 of 225,712 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
Woman visits gynecologist. She's up in the stirrups, and the doctor raises her gown and looks. He exclaims, "Good God! What a big hole!" She returns home very self-conscious. She takes off her pants and places a mirror on the floor, then straddles it to see if her vagina is really that large. Just then her husband walks in the door. He says, "What the heck are you doing?" Thinking fast, she says, "I'm learning a new dance". Then she begins to dance around. Husband says, "Oh. Well be careful and don't step in that big hole".
A man rushed into a busy doctor’s office and shouted “Doctor! I think I’m shrinking!!” The doctor calmly responded,“Now, settle down. You’ll just have to be a little patient.”

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

susanblange wrote:
God in spirit form is neither male nor female
A confused nine year old boy goes up to his mother and asks: "Is God male or female?"

After thinking for a moment, his mother responds: "Well, honey, God is both male and female."

This confuses the little boy, so he asks: "Is God black or white?"

"Well, God is both black and white."

This further confuses the boy so he asks: "Is God gay or straight?"

The mother answers: "Honey, God is both gay and straight."

"Well then," the boy asks, "is god an adult or a child?"

The mother replies, "God is both adult and child."

At this, the boy's face lights up with understanding and he triumphantly asks, "Is God Michael Jackson?"

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>A confused nine year old boy goes up to his mother and asks: "Is God male or female?"

After thinking for a moment, his mother responds: "Well, honey, God is both male and female."

This confuses the little boy, so he asks: "Is God black or white?"

"Well, God is both black and white."

This further confuses the boy so he asks: "Is God gay or straight?"

The mother answers: "Honey, God is both gay and straight."

"Well then," the boy asks, "is god an adult or a child?"

The mother replies, "God is both adult and child."

At this, the boy's face lights up with understanding and he triumphantly asks, "Is God Michael Jackson?"
Lmao.

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about the Haldol program, but I totally agree that religion often qualifies as a mental illness.
I can't remember who said it, but I heard a good quote:

"Religion is the only mental illness which is contagious."

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Yes, indeedy.
<quoted text>
We're very used to it:
"No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”– George H. W. Bush
IMO you're a much better American than any of the Bush family.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Are your ears external?
Did you mean the skin or the cartilage?

LOL. Sorry, man.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>I can't remember who said it, but I heard a good quote:

"Religion is the only mental illness which is contagious."
It's also socially accepted.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/ justice/exonerated-prisoner-up date-michael-morton/index.html ?hpt=hp_t1
Religion saved him, not 25 years of secularism.
Another false claim for religion. Thanks, Dave.

Unbelievers are frequently accused of having an unfair anti-church bias, but I see it as the other way around. Without believers telling us how much the church does for the rest of us, who would be saying such things?

The best part of the article was, "The law will make the state's criminal justice system 'fairer and helping prevent wrongful convictions,' Perry said." I think using a dart board to decide cases in Texas would likely make it fairer.

The governor could also use a little help with participles.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
They set him free physically. They didn't keep his soul intact and forgiving. You spend several years in prison as an innocent man and see if you come out all forgiving and able to move on.
That was your secular system that let him down, not a religious one. It is religious groups that go into prisons to help those guys, not your kind.
All that that article showed me was that desperate people are drawn to religion, and that Christianity helps people accept injustices perpetrated against them, which is a perfect doctrine to teach a class of people that you intend to exploit and hope that they will not rise up against you for it.

I'll bet most or every member of the Texas jury that convicted that man on virtually no evidence was a Christian that prayed for guidance and made a faith based decision about guilt based on a biblical model of harsh punishment.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
It is still 18 degrees and heavy overcast outside. Yuk. This is the world man was born into. His technology has come about because of struggle and discomfort.
This is your Christian heritage speaking through you, Dave. I seldom experience anybody else using such language apart from the clinically depressed.

Did you read these words I posted recently. You embody them in your post:

"... the more fervently they embrace what the religion actually teaches, the more extreme and antisocial they become. They're the ones that talk about how depraved mankind is, how horrible the world is, how horrible gays and unbelievers are, how wrong-headed science and scholarship are, and how sinful and rebellious freethinking and self-rule are ... That's the contribution of Christianity is as I see it."

This is a beautiful world, Dave, and you are fortunate to be able to experience it. Don't let anybody teach you otherwise. If you do, you'll have let them steal too much from you.

Why would anybody want to do that to you? What would you need religion for if you didn't need salvation from a harsh god that placed you in a harsh world?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
You're not alone, dude. Temperature here today will be in the 60s. Long sleeve weather, rats.
LOL. We're in the low eighties all week, with lows in the high forties and low fifties.

At your latitude, the beaches are perfect. Down here, the beaches can be very hot and humid much of the year. Being in the mountains is preferred. We're a mile up like Dave, but at this latitude, it virtually never freezes. I think I've told you that we don't have or need central air or heat.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
My scrotum, nice as it is, has no refrigerant, and even if it did, there is no air return system and no compressor. The closest air duct is where my farts escape, but that's several inches away, and does little to cool my nuts.
Thanks for sharing, Buck.

It's probably good that there not be a compressor around the jewels.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
Science cant explain how water turns to wine
Nephrology can explain how wine turns to water.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

"[I]ntelligence had an especially high value in the savanna. Being able to accurately throw a rock, sharpen a stick to use as a weapon, make a fence or other structure to protect themselves from predators, and make use of animal furs were all extremely valuable skills here, and those that more readily acquired these skills tended to be the ones that produced the most surviving children." There was no reason for the apes and monkeys in the jungle to become more humanoid or to disappear.
Buck Crick wrote:
One night at Bama' this girl told me that if she filled her mouth with crushed ice and did, well, you know, to me, we could keep it going longer. Little did she know I had already smoked enough crack to make a Tarzan movie. In about 2 hours, she was having me pack her muffin with ice cause it was so sore. Ahh. Good times.
She never came back around.
The Four in Hand Knot makes for a narrow, more discreet and slightly asymmetrical tie knot. It is best suited for a standard button-down dress shirt and works best with wide neckties made from heavy fabrics. While this tie knot can be worn by anyone, it looks especially well on men with shorter necks as the knot's rather narrow and elongated form stretches the perceived height of the neck a tiny bit.

To tie the Four in Hand Knot, select a necktie of your choice and stand in front of a mirror. Start with the wide end of your necktie on the right, extending about 12 inches below the narrow end on the left. Then cross the wide end over the narrow end. Turn the wide end back underneath the narrow end. Continue by bringing the wide end back over in front of the narrow end again. Then, pull the wide end up and through the loop around your neck. Hold the front of the knot loosely with your index finger and bring the wide end down through the front loop. At last, remove your finger and tighten the knot carefully to the collar by holding the narrow end and sliding the knot up.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
I put central heat and air in a house once.
I had never even seen it done. Used that fiberglass sheet material to make the ductwork, set the compressor, wired it all way to the service box.
House had about a 16 inch crawl space. I was under it for 3 days without coming out with nothing on but cutoffs. All my back hair never did grow back.
You are an great raconteur, Buck.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Keith Parsons used to be a renowned professor of the philosophy of religion. In 2010, he became convinced that religion was all BS and decided to make a major change in his academic career at the age of 58. He announces this change and his reasons for making it here...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularoutpost/2...
Interesting. Thanks.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

<quoted text>
Another false claim for religion. Thanks, Dave.
Unbelievers are frequently accused of having an unfair anti-church bias, but I see it as the other way around. Without believers telling us how much the church does for the rest of us, who would be saying such things?
The best part of the article was, "The law will make the state's criminal justice system 'fairer and helping prevent wrongful convictions,' Perry said." I think using a dart board to decide cases in Texas would likely make it fairer.
The governor could also use a little help with participles.
Participles notwithstanding, he has presided over robust economic growth against the headwind of national recession and stagnation.

Paraphrasing Ron White, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. Other states are re-thinking the death penalty, in Texas we're putting in an express lane.

"If you want to murder somebody, go to California. They don't give a shit".

Apparently it's working for Perry. Californians who want to work and make money are moving to Texas.

Even better, the Texans who want to live off somebody else should move to California.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

<quoted text>
LOL. We're in the low eighties all week, with lows in the high forties and low fifties.
At your latitude, the beaches are perfect. Down here, the beaches can be very hot and humid much of the year. Being in the mountains is preferred. We're a mile up like Dave, but at this latitude, it virtually never freezes. I think I've told you that we don't have or need central air or heat.
Sounds good.

When are you having me down?

(Ankle bracelet comes off March 1.)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

<quoted text>
All that that article showed me was that desperate people are drawn to religion, and that Christianity helps people accept injustices perpetrated against them, which is a perfect doctrine to teach a class of people that you intend to exploit and hope that they will not rise up against you for it.
I'll bet most or every member of the Texas jury that convicted that man on virtually no evidence was a Christian that prayed for guidance and made a faith based decision about guilt based on a biblical model of harsh punishment.
The jury didn't factor in to the mistake. It was a crooked prosecutor who withheld evidence.

Naturally, he became a judge.

I watched a judge award a woman child support exactly equal to the dad's monthly income plus 1 dollar.

State court of appeals upheld it 4 to 1.

I saw a judge give a guy who pleaded guilty to having 2 pictures of naked children on his cell phone 150 years.

It was a federal rap - he has to serve at least 80% of it.

The conditions of the sentence also require house arrest for a year after he gets out.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
Lovely. It's 2 PM and the temp has raised to 19 degrees. If I was a Topix atheist I would be ranting and raving against God right now for this discomfort.
You're the only one ranting and raving about the weather, and you're th only one that brought up a deity discussing it. If we chime in about the weather, it will likely be about geography (beaches, mountains) or meteorology (carbon emissions).

And if you were one of the Topix atheists on this thread, I sincerely doubt that you would have written "the temp has raised." We're a wee bit more literate than that - a benefit of reading.

Go ahead and take gratuitous potshots at atheists for no better reason than that you don't approve of our existence, but keep in mind how easy it is to make you and your faith based thinking the butt of the joke instead. I mean REAL easy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min John Galt 1,096,614
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 min anonymous 26,978
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr STO 305,396
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Aug 19 RICK SERVICE 28
loan needed (Dec '13) Aug 12 Simon 5
loan offer (Jun '13) Aug 10 Tram 81
Na Aug 9 rrg cgr 1

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••