Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189845 Dec 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Another false claim for religion. Thanks, Dave.
Unbelievers are frequently accused of having an unfair anti-church bias, but I see it as the other way around. Without believers telling us how much the church does for the rest of us, who would be saying such things?
The best part of the article was, "The law will make the state's criminal justice system 'fairer and helping prevent wrongful convictions,' Perry said." I think using a dart board to decide cases in Texas would likely make it fairer.
The governor could also use a little help with participles.
Participles notwithstanding, he has presided over robust economic growth against the headwind of national recession and stagnation.

Paraphrasing Ron White, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. Other states are re-thinking the death penalty, in Texas we're putting in an express lane.

"If you want to murder somebody, go to California. They don't give a shit".

Apparently it's working for Perry. Californians who want to work and make money are moving to Texas.

Even better, the Texans who want to live off somebody else should move to California.

Location hidden

#189846 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL. We're in the low eighties all week, with lows in the high forties and low fifties.
At your latitude, the beaches are perfect. Down here, the beaches can be very hot and humid much of the year. Being in the mountains is preferred. We're a mile up like Dave, but at this latitude, it virtually never freezes. I think I've told you that we don't have or need central air or heat.
Sounds good.

When are you having me down?

(Ankle bracelet comes off March 1.)

Location hidden

#189847 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
All that that article showed me was that desperate people are drawn to religion, and that Christianity helps people accept injustices perpetrated against them, which is a perfect doctrine to teach a class of people that you intend to exploit and hope that they will not rise up against you for it.
I'll bet most or every member of the Texas jury that convicted that man on virtually no evidence was a Christian that prayed for guidance and made a faith based decision about guilt based on a biblical model of harsh punishment.
The jury didn't factor in to the mistake. It was a crooked prosecutor who withheld evidence.

Naturally, he became a judge.

I watched a judge award a woman child support exactly equal to the dad's monthly income plus 1 dollar.

State court of appeals upheld it 4 to 1.

I saw a judge give a guy who pleaded guilty to having 2 pictures of naked children on his cell phone 150 years.

It was a federal rap - he has to serve at least 80% of it.

The conditions of the sentence also require house arrest for a year after he gets out.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189848 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Lovely. It's 2 PM and the temp has raised to 19 degrees. If I was a Topix atheist I would be ranting and raving against God right now for this discomfort.
You're the only one ranting and raving about the weather, and you're th only one that brought up a deity discussing it. If we chime in about the weather, it will likely be about geography (beaches, mountains) or meteorology (carbon emissions).

And if you were one of the Topix atheists on this thread, I sincerely doubt that you would have written "the temp has raised." We're a wee bit more literate than that - a benefit of reading.

Go ahead and take gratuitous potshots at atheists for no better reason than that you don't approve of our existence, but keep in mind how easy it is to make you and your faith based thinking the butt of the joke instead. I mean REAL easy.

Fennario

#189849 Dec 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
If you were a 'Topix atheist', you'd likely be intelligent enough not to make such a stupid comment.
Hi there, old friend. Welcome!

Fennario

#189850 Dec 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
But I thought our way of life, right down to our justice system, was informed by christian theology? Can't have it both ways, dave.
The good part is due to Christianity. All of the bad stuff comes from atheism - just like here on Topix, where what appear to be bad Christians are really atheists posing as Christians.

Fennario

#189851 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You take away the spiritual and religious aspects of the day and you won't have the impetus for buying the decorations or that shopping season that starts at Thanksgiving. All which feeds government coffers as taxes. Turn it secular and it will dry up.
You've got to be kidding.
http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/288772_S/what-...

Fennario

#189852 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
atheists are arrogant, thinking their meager and limited knowledge and ability of man is some sort of benchmark.
You're serving as a vector for the Christian message just like Dave.

"... the more fervently they embrace what the religion actually teaches, the more extreme and antisocial they become. They're the ones that talk about how depraved mankind is, how horrible the world is, how horrible gays and unbelievers are, how wrong-headed science and scholarship are, and how sinful and rebellious freethinking and self-rule are ... That's the contribution of Christianity is as I see it."

I can't see how anybody but the church benefits from so many people thinking, writing and speaking like this. The church is demeaning our species, Bongo. If there were an alien, non-human species among us speaking about humanity the way that the church does, we'd go to war with it - you, too.

But if the message has the stamp of Jesus on it, you help.

Fennario

#189853 Dec 5, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>"Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honor is humility" Proverbs 18:12. "And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem". Isaiah 8:14. It is a sin to look on the face of God. Isaiah 6:5.
Thanks. That was quite uplifting. I think I now have the strength to face another day.

Fennario

#189854 Dec 5, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
IMO you're a much better American than any of the Bush family.
Thanks, Rosa.

Fennario

#189855 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Participles notwithstanding, he has presided over robust economic growth against the headwind of national recession and stagnation. Paraphrasing Ron White, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. Other states are re-thinking the death penalty, in Texas we're putting in an express lane. "If you want to murder somebody, go to California. They don't give a shit". Apparently it's working for Perry. Californians who want to work and make money are moving to Texas. Even better, the Texans who want to live off somebody else should move to California.
I can't share your enthusiasm for either Perry or Texas, Buck, except maybe for Austin.

Fennario

#189856 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Sounds good. When are you having me down?(Ankle bracelet comes off March 1.)
Now that we are getting along better, that could happen some day.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189857 Dec 5, 2013
I am always at your disposal. Keep in mind the limitations of medicine over the Internet.
It's always nice to have an old school doctor in your iPhone :)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189858 Dec 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not alone, dude.
Temperature here today will be in the 60s.
Long sleeve weather, rats.
I almost had to turn the heater on.

Fennario

#189859 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The jury didn't factor in to the mistake. It was a crooked prosecutor who withheld evidence.
I disagree. The jury was incompetent:

"There was no scientific evidence, there was no eyewitness, there was no murder weapon, there was no believable motive," Morton says. "... I didn't see how any rational, thinking person would say that's enough for a guilty verdict." But with no other suspects, the jury convicted him. "We all felt so strongly that this was justice for Christine and that we were doing the right thing," says Mark Landrum, who was the jury foreman.

What you are implying is that without proof of innocence, it was appropriate for the jury to find a man guilty. The verdict should have been not guilty whether the prosecutor had exculpatory evidence to share or not.

And the penalty given that prosecutor turned judge was nauseating:

"The former prosecutor stepped down from his position as a judge and agreed to 10 days in jail. He then served only five of those days, under Texas laws involving good behavior behind bars. He also agreed to a $500 fine, 500 hours of community service, and the loss of his law license"

This judge took almost 25 years of freedom from another man and substituted 25 years of terror and despair. You just posted, "Paraphrasing Ron White, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. Other states are re-thinking the death penalty, in Texas we're putting in an express lane. "If you want to murder somebody, go to California. They don't give a shit"

By that reckoning, this judge deserves 25 years in prison. It sounds like if you want falsely incarcerate somebody, go to Texas. They don't give a shit.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#189860 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
You're serving as a vector for the Christian message just like Dave.
"... the more fervently they embrace what the religion actually teaches, the more extreme and antisocial they become. They're the ones that talk about how depraved mankind is, how horrible the world is, how horrible gays and unbelievers are, how wrong-headed science and scholarship are, and how sinful and rebellious freethinking and self-rule are ... That's the contribution of Christianity is as I see it."
I can't see how anybody but the church benefits from so many people thinking, writing and speaking like this. The church is demeaning our species, Bongo. If there were an alien, non-human species among us speaking about humanity the way that the church does, we'd go to war with it - you, too.
But if the message has the stamp of Jesus on it, you help.
Why be overly cynical of a message that alludes to man being very limited? If Jesus is the son of God, whatever he says and wants is of paramount importance. Hes a Father. I believe we are in a temporary situation , major change after we pass. Your description of our opinions is a little extreme. Jesus did show how the greatest is the least. The " by the sweat of the brow" situation we've inherited is hard enough for healthy persons, how much harder for those encumbered with all the myriad adversity that affects us. Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189861 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe his nut sac HVAC system is stuck open.
Mac Mucous claims men have those.
I don't. I have to cool my own nuts when they get hot.
Maybe I can get a Obama subsidy.
A hot nut sac subsidy.
Say that 3 times.
that that that
Bongo

Coram, NY

#189862 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
I can't share your enthusiasm for either Perry or Texas, Buck, except maybe for Austin.
Conrad Murray is trying to get his license back, in Texas. I don't see to much of a problem there, they may even hire him.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189863 Dec 5, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
It’s a known fact that the Christmas Holidays presents a major influx of cash flow to business owners and the US economy. Including new car sales.
Yet some business refuse to put the word “Christmas” in any of their advertisements. One of those is Radio Shack. But they do substitute the word “Holiday.”
Interesting, because the word “Holiday,” is a derivative of the words “Holy Day.” Now the secret is out, what are they going to use instead of “Holiday?”
Anyway you look at it Christmas has it’s clutches on our economy. And it’s not going away. So if you’re a Scrooge. Enjoy the peace and quiet at home. Because the shopping malls are jammed packed.
Santa makes for better profits for greedy businesses.

I was at Target yesterday, they had a big "Merry Christmas" sign over the Christmas card section. Lowe's had a big "Merry Christmas" over the Christmas tree decorations section.

It's nice to see.

For Thanksgiving - Happy Thanksgiving.

For Christmas - Happy Holidays

For New Year - Happy New Year

Make nofucking sense.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#189864 Dec 5, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I take my imaginary hat off to you, I haven't the patience, plus I think my pony tail is too severe today, might have to sort my hair out so I can think better.
Both of my parents were teachers.

Is that somehow heritable?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min John Galt 1,219,661
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin For Life 29,625
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) 2 hr tom wingo 80
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr OzRitz 5,294
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr Pearl Jam 309,668
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Apr 19 UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
More from around the web