Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189935 Dec 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem in trying to have a discussion with RR is that he is a dishonest person.
His dishonesty is repeatedly reflected in his posts.
If there is a hell, he has a good chance of ending up there.
I forget which circle, but there's one for that sort of person.
There are no circles of Hell.

That's only Dante's interpretation.

I thought you knew that most people's interpretation of Hell is the same as what they read in Dante's Inferno....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189936 Dec 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you don't fear hell.
You live in Riverside.
Well, that's true.

I ain't gonna lie...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189937 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
My message to christians, when asked, is simple. You were not born guilty. You are deficient in no way. The divine is a part of you, and it was in you before you were even born. If Christians learned that simple thing, religion would lose all it's meaning, because the religion is built on guilt and being held eternally responsible for things you had no part in.
Agreed, Buck, although we may not mean exactly the same thing by "the divine." To me, it is not necessarily awake.

But we do agree that an ideology that teaches people that they were born diseased and worthy of punishment unless they submit and receive forgiveness for having been born human is not a healthy or helpful thing to have in the world.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189938 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
America seems very uptight about alcohol.
I don't drink spirits except in the odd cocktail. I prefer quality wines and ales. I'm simply not interested in (other) drugs.
<quoted text>
You don't know what you're missing...

Fennario

#189939 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is 5 degrees F on the plains of SE CO.
It is expected to get to a sizzling 15 degrees some time today.
Oh, it's been worse. Got down to -18 F a couple of years ago.
Kills fleas.
Almost moved to the San Luis Valley of CO a few years ago. 7000+ ft, 300 days of sunshine, and -30 degrees F fairly often in winter. But that didn't work out. God looks out for this dummy.
The winters here are usually fairly mild.
Bitching about the cold helps keep my blood flowing.
The absolute worst experience I've had with cold was in Miami. A little apartment with Spanish tile floors and jalousie windows about 30 yards from Biscayne Bay. No heater. Two blankets. Less than 40 degrees F blowing at 40 MPH and humidity in the 80's or 90's. Blowing right through the jalousies and across the bed. The only warmth was me and a woman, but she was thin and so was I.
THAT was brutal. Just pain from cold that wasn't quite cold enough to freeze you to death real quick. Cold damp that reached down into your bones and joints. Agony. I get the chills remembering it.
I need to go put on some more clothes.
This might be your first post to me that didn't take a gratuitous shot at mean. I appreciate it.

Fennario

#189940 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Very well said, I agree with everything here with the exception of the before you were born business, coupled with the divine stuff. You have no information that shows we existed before we were born, and certainly nothing that point to anything "divine." Stating your beliefs as factual is never a good idea.
Baby steps. Credit where credit is due, which you gave.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#189941 Dec 5, 2013
I believe I am missing out on an opportunity to bore the living sh!t out of people and make them feel uncomfortable.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what you're missing...

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189942 Dec 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I don't see the connection between our two posts.
You said man does everything; God sits idly by.

I'm saying man's consciousness can avail itself of a different dimension, as implied in the reported experience of Edison and Mozart.

Hey Doc, do you have me explain my brilliant points just to put a rhetorical tarnish on their seemingly obvious brilliance?

I'm trying to decide if you're that smart, or you're kinda' stumbling into it.

Fennario

#189943 Dec 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
Hello, Aint! I trust you are doing well?
Very well, thank you. Life is good. I hope it is for you as well.

Fennario

#189944 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course I told them about Hell. But I never tried using force, fear or coercion to "make" them Christian.
The unbelievers are likely to see a disconnect here. Are you not aware of the effect that hell theology has on impressionable and uncritical minds?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189945 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I believe I am missing out on an opportunity to bore the living sh!t out of people and make them feel uncomfortable.
<quoted text>
Oh, are you a boring drunk?

Sleepy maybe?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#189946 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that. I've heard plenty of pastors, and people here, threaten an eternity in Hell for this and that.
It's a coward's tactic.
Too many people try to use the fear of Hell as a reason to turn to God. I disagree and I don't use that tactic.
Anybody here that has posted with me know is that I've never threatened anybody with Hell. Ever.
That's left for the waaaasuuup's out there.....
.. again, the implication is clear ..

RR WROTE: "I also planted the idea in their heads that a bullet in the brain would be a bad thing."

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

.. when you write of your belief in hell, you are conveying the idea that unbelief in your God has its consequences hence it is a warning underscored by a threat to create fear ..

.. what else can a reader surmise ??..

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#189947 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
America seems very uptight about alcohol.
I don't drink spirits except in the odd cocktail. I prefer quality wines and ales. I'm simply not interested in (other) drugs.
<quoted text>
America became the depository for the world's drunks, particularly the Irish.

The huddled masses weren't the creme de la creme of the home countries. Alcoholics beget alcoholics. Opportunists opportune.

A melting pot of "spirits" and desperations.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#189948 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You said man does everything; God sits idly by.
I'm saying man's consciousness can avail itself of a different dimension, as implied in the reported experience of Edison and Mozart.
Hey Doc, do you have me explain my brilliant points just to put a rhetorical tarnish on their seemingly obvious brilliance?
I'm trying to decide if you're that smart, or you're kinda' stumbling into it.
.. can you define consciousness ??..

.. if so, you're a better woman than I am ..

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#189949 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
This might be your first post to me that didn't take a gratuitous shot at mean. I appreciate it.
I've done so many times before, but my brain was frozen in that instance. Still is. It's 12 degrees out there, and I was in it for a while.

I'm glad there isn't a stiff breeze today.

Could be worse.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_COL...

Fennario

#189950 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ weather-news/ilate-week-ice-st orm-texas-to-pennsylvania/2057 1898
Had an ice storm in Memphis in about 1978 that was gorgeous. Coated the trees with thick ice that lasted for days, The sunlight reflecting off it was so beautiful. Memphis had lots of pretty trees. I walked to work often then as I lived not far from it. A crystal world. Really pretty after smoking a doobie and walking through it in morning sunlight.
As you note, ice storm are beautiful - but devastating.

There is one floating into my last American home right now. We have been commiserating with our Missourian friends on Facebook over the last 12-24 hours.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/us-...

Fennario

#189951 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
If you told them about hell, you used fear and coercion. That's a given. Which is convenient, since that is precisely the reason men made it up.
That's right on the money, Buck.

Are we going to end up friends? I'd like that.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189952 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Agreed, Buck, although we may not mean exactly the same thing by "the divine." To me, it is not necessarily awake.
But we do agree that an ideology that teaches people that they were born diseased and worthy of punishment unless they submit and receive forgiveness for having been born human is not a healthy or helpful thing to have in the world.
Agreed. I would, and have, said it is evil.

I don't mean to say people and churches are evil.

But the concept is evil.

I was raised to think I was bad from birth.

I had a full plate of things to feel shame for at an early age, and I perceived any attempt to discipline or correct me as a shaming of me. I felt exposed, found-out for what I really am - something unworthy, unlovable. I was an obstacle to everyone.

I did what seemed the best defense, which was fight back. It hurt really bad inside to feel shame, so I opted to close the mouth of it by any means necessary.

I don't recall ever telling this.

Fennario

#189953 Dec 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
... and a Happy Festivus! for the rest of us!
Yes, it's that time of year for the airing of grievances and the feats of strength.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#189954 Dec 5, 2013
I was commenting on other drugs and how it makes people very repetitive.

I enjoy drink when with friends and family. It's not a selfish pursuit for me, it's something that should be shared.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, are you a boring drunk?
Sleepy maybe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min Freedomofexpression 318,333
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min smile n wave 1,619,734
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr Trojan 34,441
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 11 hr Wisdom of Ages 11,652
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 30 Frankie Rizzo 201,871
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 29 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web