Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255314 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189410 Dec 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Not mine. Unless you consider teaching the values of integrity, compassion, fairness and dignity to be brainwashing.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Either way, it's a form of brainwashing.
The word "brainwashing" connotes a self-serving or malevolent intent, generally to enlist the cooperation of somebody to serve the interests of others against his own. It's not helpful to also use this word to describe what we would consider loving instruction done in the service of the one being taught.

In general, if you have two words and two ideas, it is better to let each word stand for one idea rather than have them both mean both things.

For example, we have the words "unbelief" and "disbelief," which are used more or less interchangeably, and the ideas of not accepting something as proven yet, and the idea of considering it wrong - two ideas that are continually being confused in this thread. Wouldn't it be conducive to clearer thought if we made a clear distinction between these two ideas and gave them each one of the two words?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#189411 Dec 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Nice post Dave. Your inner beauty shines through.

RiversideRedneck wrote, "Your "logic" assumes the universe poofed out of nothingness all on it's own. Without evidence. Imagine that."

Catcher1 wrote, "IANS. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. The emptiness, the haughty attitude, the endless repetition of "imagine that" (or "go", or other blather), the grammatical ignorance."

I'll see your Riverside Redneck and raise you a Dave Nelson.
If I was a gambler I'd put my money on Dave.

Fennario

#189412 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Churches drive me nuts when they do that kind of stuff.
Maybe they're not really churches, but atheists pretending to be in church to make Christians look bad.

Fennario

#189413 Dec 3, 2013
OCB wrote:
Ahem....that would be: Your difficulties with ignorance *are* noted. Difficulties = are, Difficulty = is. I mean....it's kind of silly to start a post talking about the ignorance of the person you're posting to when....well, you know the rest.
That's our Dave. It won't be long before he starts sharing his secrets to living a full life.
LCNLin

United States

#189414 Dec 3, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I wish hearing protection was more public, back in the 70's.
You are deaf to more than rational arguments.
Must be a difficult life?
Peace

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#189415 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're fantasizing about me again?
Nope, Is just gleaned from the impression you give while vomiting your hatred of disability here on topix.

#189416 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I lied for the joke, not *for* God.
You crazy woman.
Same thing, here let me explain my logic.

1 You used your chauvinistic perversion and wild sexual imaginings to lie about my body.

2 You claim to be a good christian and therefore you do what you do for your god.

It follows that you lied for your god, logical argument.

But at least you admit you lied, that’s is a big step for a perfect christian to make.

You may consider that lying insults made in the name of your god to be jokes, you have used this excuse for your obnoxious (and often threatening) mouthings before so that too follows that you are not a good christian by a long, long way but are in fact nothing more than a hypocritical liar, and now you admit it.

I find it so funny that you “claim” to be a christian with the morality that implies yet the babble states categorically, and repeated in at least 100 verses that lying is hated by your god. He objects to lying in the strongest possible way, by barring liar’s from entering his heaven. Just something for you to think on as your time draws closer to its end.

Here are a few examples for you to consider.

Proverbs 6:16-19
Proverbs 19:9
Proverbs 24:28
1 John 2:4
Revelation 21:8
Psalm 58:3

And many, many more. Such a good christian you are not…

#189417 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
There was a very curious study done a few years back, about wine tasters.
These people are professionals at testing wine and such.
But they were easily fooled by the pre-perception of the wines in question.
The study used the same wine for all the "tests", but bottled it under various labels, some quite expensive, some el-cheapo, and so on.
The testers uniformly graded the various wines commiserate with the labels on the bottle.
Even EEG machines, which objectively measured the level of brain-interaction seemed to agree.(complicated to go into how the formed a base line for that)
In short? Our own perceptions of whatever it is we are enjoying are directly affected by our own prejudices-- the parts of our brains which reward things we like, and discourage things we don't, can be affected by what we perceive about an experience, even before the actual experience itself.
So it's not quite as cut and dried as all that-- but I do take your point, that the cable itself, so long as it's adequate (or better) for the electrical needs, cannot affect the actual sound produced.
But. The listener's *perception* can be adversely affected if he/she thinks the cables are inferior in some fashion. His/her brain actually changes the experience into a negative one-- based on what he/she *thinks* is happening.
So much for objectivity. <laughing>
Subjective objectivity.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189418 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
So.
You and Butt Cheeks have a thing going? Clearly, you pulled your trousers down for him, but were embarrassed when someone caught you at it?
That figures.
The homophobe, Blob, exposes himself....

Uh-huh...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189419 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
How Jesus of you-- to attempt to wreck a person's character.
Because your Jesus was all about slandering people, right?
Right.
I slandered no one.

#189420 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I slandered no one.
Yes you did, you have often slandered me despite what you babble says about lying and I have seen your slanderous accusations targeted and several people who oppose you hypocritical and lying brand of christianity

And only last night you even admitted that you lied about it

#189421 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh...
What is homophobic about saying that butt crack is screwing you a$$?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

#189422 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I slandered no one.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you did, you have often slandered me despite what you babble says about lying and I have seen your slanderous accusations targeted and several people who oppose you hypocritical and lying brand of christianity
And only last night you even admitted that you lied about
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What is homophobic about saying that butt crack is screwing you a$$?.
Ahh, I have it now, it’s just another one of your slanderous christian lies.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#189423 Dec 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I phrased it properly.
No, you didn't.

Again:

Difficulties= ARE

Difficulty= IS

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189424 Dec 3, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>"Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter". Isaiah 56:11. This describes modern Christianity to a T. It's nothing but a money making machine. You cannot buy your way into heaven, It's a free gift and there is no ransom.
I have to disagree, somewhat.

That doesn't describe Christianity, that describes churches. Well, some of them anyway.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#189425 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Defensive much?
Hmmm
Nope- not at all. Just trying to see if ANY logic can get through to that peanut sized brain of yours in which it's obvious that atrophy has taken its toll.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189426 Dec 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Shaka, when the walls fell.
Timba, his face black, his eyes red.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189427 Dec 3, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you. I’m not a fan of mega churches. I’m not saying there’s not a few good ones. But there are some being directed by self serving wolves. If your minister doesn’t know your name then the church is too big.
Huh.

Good point.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#189428 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that you don't fully understand the meaning of omnipotent and how it pertains to God.
That's okay, I didn't either.
But I DO understand it. And I understand that your god is NOT omnipotent.

You don't get to change the meanings of words to suit your perception of the god you choose to believe in.

Omnipotent is omnipotent. So either your god is all powerful or your god is not.

You have conceded in other posts that the god you perceive is NOT omnipotent.

Not much of a god you choose to believe in, RR.......

But I already knew that and I already UNDERSTOOD that and I understand what you do not.

You have made the god you choose to believe in in the image you have arbitrarily chosen to suit your own needs, your own desires and your own lack of moral fiber and integrity.

Not surprising though; you do the same thing with the bible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189429 Dec 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Our definitions of "Christian" must be very different. My definition doesn't depend on them not being hateful. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are/were about as Christian as you can get, and both were very hateful.
<quoted text>
No, I'd rather they weren't. Why would anybody want Christians to be hateful?
<quoted text>
You seem to think that Christians are good people because they're Christian, and that what appear to be bad Christians are unbelievers trying to make Christians look bad.
You misunderstand.

I'm not talking about people in general, I'm talking about poes and trolls on Topix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min cathy1691823 1,383,721
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 17 hr Into The Night 9,637
News Four Halton field lacrosse teams heading to OFSAA 23 hr predators still o... 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Fri cpeter1313 311,215
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Thu Financial Consult... 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Trojan 32,267
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) May 23 Ceren 39
More from around the web