Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
180,061 - 180,080 of 224,060 Comments Last updated 8 min ago
Thinking

Chard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

If Buck's ESP worked he wouldn't have said a circle's circumference is pi r squared - it is, of course, 2 pi r.
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
“Mr. Randi said:”
“Suggest that he merely identify for us which of two photos are in an envelope, 20 times. We cannot satisfy each and every whim, and it’s too expensive.“
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php...
If he can't get better than probability allows out of 20 tests then why would 100 be any better?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
BOLEN REPORT
"The group, made up, I believe, of life's flotsam and jetsam, inhabits the internet after a minimal training at some skeptic conference teaching them how to be even nastier, sleazier, human beings than they were before they found the organized clutter based out of Amherst, New York. This group is reinforced by a five foot tall moron who calls himself "The Amazing Randi."
Amazing Randi's Center For Inquiry, Inc (CFI), based in Amherst, New York shows on their Form 990 that they took in $5,242,304 in total 2009 Income, and they had, that year, ANONYMOUS contributions totaled $2,318,652.- Amazing took a $195,000 salary."
That's a lot of money for just turning down applications and then sending insulting emails.
Who can compare with Tim Bolen when it comes to insults?

I don't see an argument here, just innuendo and insults. I don't know who would care about Randi's finances apart from whether he can afford to make good on his offer if necessary.

Is this the kind of person and material you want to associate yourself with, or to use to make points? This type of language pretty much discredits any speaker that chooses to use it.

Incidentally, you forgot the first line of Bolens rant, so I've included it, as well as the link which you choose to provide :

"I have absolutely no use for the group that describes themselves as "Skeptics." The group, made up, I believe, of life's flotsam and jetsam, inhabits ..."
http://www.bolenreport.com/feature_articles/D...

I can see why you would want to remove that.

=========

Incidentally, you probably know about flotasam and jetsam, but did know about lagan and derelict?

"Flotsam is floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo.

"Jetsam is part of a ship, its equipment, or its cargo that is purposefully cast overboard or jettisoned to lighten the load in time of distress and that sinks or is washed ashore.

"Lagan is cargo that is lying on the bottom of the ocean, sometimes marked by a buoy, which can be reclaimed.

"Derelict is cargo that is also on the bottom of the ocean, but which no one has any hope of reclaiming."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flotsam_and_jets...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Thinking wrote:
If Buck's ESP worked he wouldn't have said a circle's circumference is pi r squared - it is, of course, 2 pi r.
<quoted text>
You are such a genius.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It can also dish it out.
Only a small percentage of CO2 comes from the activity of man.
Yeah.

That's why it has spiked WAY beyond all historical cycles, covering hundreds of thousands of years, in the last 100 years.

Sure.

OK.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see an argument here, just innuendo and insults. I don't know who would care about Randi's finances apart from whether he can afford to make good on his offer if necessary.
Is this the kind of person and material you want to associate yourself with, or to use to make points? This type of language pretty much discredits any speaker that chooses to use it.
Incidentally, you forgot the first line of Bolens rant, so I've included it, as well as the link which you choose to provide :
"I have absolutely no use for the group that describes themselves as "Skeptics." The group, made up, I believe, of life's flotsam and jetsam, inhabits ..."
=========
Incidentally, you probably know about flotasam and jetsam, but did know about lagan and derelict?
"Jetsam is part of a ship, its equipment, or its cargo that is purposefully cast overboard or jettisoned to lighten the load in time of distress and that sinks or is washed ashore.
"Lagan is cargo that is lying on the bottom of the ocean, sometimes marked by a buoy, which can be reclaimed.
"Derelict is cargo that is also on the bottom of the ocean, but which no one has any hope of reclaiming."
Do you think the finances disclosed imply that The Amazing Randi's motivation might not be the pursuit of scientific truth?

I would not feel the need to offer words from anyone on this subject if not for naive posters on this thread using the Amazing Randi fake prize as evidence.

It is evidence of nothing.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Because in nearly 4,000 years, the Bible hasn't changed it's tune. Science seems to change every 2 seconds.
Is this an argument for the validity or reliability of the Christian bible over over science?
Not over science. The Bible is not over science, it's a completely different subject.

It's a testament to the Bible's longevity.

How about other sources of information like encyclopedias, textbooks, telephone directories and dictionaries? Do you trust the oldest one most there as well?
I don't know.

Be more specific.
Incidentally, I think your bible changed pretty radically almost two millennia ago.
Only the translation has changed, not the core concept.
Thinking

Chard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Buck also posts incomplete definitions of Atheism.
Buck doesn't like the whole truth.
<quoted text>
=========
Thinking

Chard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Buck posted his solution is to cut climate science budgets.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
That's why it has spiked WAY beyond all historical cycles, covering hundreds of thousands of years, in the last 100 years.
Sure.
OK.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Can you share some of those proofs for us? Your video was longer than I was willing to give to this. Do you have a written report of any paranormal claim proven with scientific precision?
Buck Crick wrote:
Extrasensory Electroencephalographic Induction between Identical Twins
http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Duane1965.p...
OK, thanks for that.

Incidentally, when I ask you something like this, I expect you to provide your best data first. It is unreasonable to expect a skeptic to pour through a dozen papers to see the evidence that he doesn't expect to see ever. If I'm wrong about that, I need to know pretty quickly. Open-mindedness only requires a willingness to be convinced by compelling data and arguments, not an obligation to review a torrent of citations

I asked you for "a written report of any paranormal claim proven with scientific precision" - your language. You provided me with a papaer dated October 1965 that ended with,

"Our series of experiments does not permit us to draw any conclusions regarding the incidence of this phenomenon. Because of the paucity of controlled data, contrasted with the voluminous controversial information available on the subject of extrasensory perception, it appears unwise to draw any conclusions or to make any statements regarding these aspects of our investigations.

If the investigator/author doesn't consider it proof, why are you offering as such? Why didn't we see something from 2012 or 2013 expanding on these findings instead? Did it die along the way?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Buck posted his solution is to cut climate science budgets.
<quoted text>
I hear that's a popular solution with the big oil companies, too.

What a co-inky-dink.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Correlations between brain electrical activities of two spatially
separated human subjects
http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Wackermann2...
have

I see at least three or four more of these ahead. Give me your best one. If it is compelling, I'll ask for two more. If you have something here, it will be evident by three papers. I'll give you that much of my time and energy in good faith.

Do you know what a Gish gallop is?

"The Gish Gallop, named after creationist Duane Gish, is the debating technique of drowning the opponent in such a torrent of half-truths, lies, and straw-man arguments that the opponent cannot possibly answer every falsehood in real time."
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They have not proven it yet so how are they "proving it now"?! You're a fortune teller for science, are ya?
If.......IF........science demonstrates abiogenesis is possible, they're doing it using intelligence and intelligent design.
Sucks, huh?
<quoted text>
You know what?
Never mind.
You're puny mind can't comprehend basic logic.
Thanks for "folding" You know I'm right. Comes down to what kicks the process into action, natural means or a God thing. We can actually witness some of the natural means, but none of the God thingy. Next you'll claim God is responsible for the natural means, of course you will have made an assertion, and assertion for which evidence is required, yeah I know, thats a word that scares the shit out of you guys, sorry, but thats what rational people require.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
Thanks for "folding" You know I'm right.
A man can only reject himself is many times before realizing that he's debating with a brick wall.

That'd be you, dude.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for "folding" You know I'm right. Comes down to what kicks the process into action, natural means or a God thing. We can actually witness some of the natural means, but none of the God thingy. Next you'll claim God is responsible for the natural means, of course you will have made an assertion, and assertion for which evidence is required, yeah I know, thats a word that scares the shit out of you guys, sorry, but thats what rational people require.
How many times must you be told God can do things that man considers majic. What is impossible with men is possible with God. Do you understand, babbling buffoon?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A man can only reject himself is many times before realizing that he's debating with a brick wall.
That'd be you, dude.
*repeat*, not reject , ya dumb redneck.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Because in nearly 4,000 years, the Bible hasn't changed it's tune. Science seems to change every 2 seconds.
<quoted text>
Not over science. The Bible is not over science, it's a completely different subject.
It's a testament to the Bible's longevity.
<quoted text>
I don't know.
Be more specific.
<quoted text>
Only the translation has changed, not the core concept.
Btw someone paid over 14 million for a first edition book of psalms. A first edition bible goes for 35 million. This suggests God is alive. His spirit endearing people.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, it’s dripping along with the testosterone
ugh how gauche.
Thinking

Chard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

There is no all powerful compassionate god because I have evidence of avoidable suffering.
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How many times must you be told God can do things that man considers majic. What is impossible with men is possible with God. Do you understand, babbling buffoon?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because in nearly 4,000 years, the Bible hasn't changed it's tune.
Science seems to change every 2 seconds.
I can't consider that reliable.
Even so, if abiogenesis is ever actually discovered, that would not disprove God. If scientists are ever successful in creating life in the lab they will have only proven that life can be produced as a product of intelligent design.
They will unwittingly be making the theists point true.
Are you actually saying that when it comes to explaining our reality, you consider the bible to be more reliable than science?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, are we talking prayer or God?
Cuz I thought we were talking God.
No one can convince me that prayer doesn't work, as I've had prayers answered directly.
<quoted text>
No sir, you didn't offend me.
I'm unoffendable.
I consider your rationality when posting to you.
I'm doing my best.
I know what you mean about the success of prayer.

It certainly worked for the 9/11 bombers when they prayed to their god.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the NCAA Basketball Forum right now

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min mdbuilder 1,079,304
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Junket 305,081
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) 5 hr RICK SERVICE 26
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,649
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Jul 20 Danny 2
loan needed (Dec '13) Jul 20 Danny 4
Hairston's bounceback game highlights big day f... Jul 16 Go go d 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••