Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238465 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Anon

Lakewood, OH

#187214 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound hot.
Ever felch?
You thought Thinking is female, didn't you?
That's the real reason you asked this, now you're trying to play it off as some ridiculous homophobe test.
You're so full of shyt...
LCNLin

United States

#187215 Nov 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your lack of comprehension is shocking!!! When anything in question is observable and testable by science, when it becomes the absolute BEST explanation at this present time, it becomes a FACT. Another word for this process is proof. Use whatever word you like, science has PROVIDED us with the very best explanation. It seems as the ONLY way you can make your point is by using "word games." To bad you don't have observable proof like science. If you did, I guess we would all be believers, and all believing in the same God, great way to end the divisiveness caused by religion.
Science is silent on atheism.
We are all impressed by your capitalization abilities.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#187216 Nov 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your lack of comprehension is shocking!!! When anything in question is observable and testable by science, when it becomes the absolute BEST explanation at this present time, it becomes a FACT.
At what point was spontaneous generation a fact?

When was the Steady State theory a fact?

When was is fact that the liver circulated blood?

When was it fact that the Earth was the center of the universe?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#187217 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Then according to your understanding of evidence, DNA did not exist until there was evidence for it.
Imagine that.
No it didn't and neither did Germs, electricity, electrons, protons, atoms, Pluto, computers, vaccines, airplanes, lasers, dinosaurs, all life in the mariana trench, nano-bots, artificial heart valves, joint replacements, washing machines, televisions..........should I keep going?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#187218 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
At what point was spontaneous generation a fact?
When was the Steady State theory a fact?
When was is fact that the liver circulated blood?
When was it fact that the Earth was the center of the universe?
So your problem seems to be with the inability of science to see the future. Strange mindset, very weird!!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187219 Nov 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
It makes me better because we know that killing is wrong, killing has always been wrong, we as a species have determined that killing is morally wrong, so I am automatically better in moral terms than someone who kills.
Killing is not always wrong, dude.

If you killed a man in self defense, how is that wrong?
We as a society have also deemed slavery and rape as being immoral and wrong, since our human morality is all we have to measure, then anyone that commits or endorses slavery and rape is both wrong and immoral. Therefore My morals are higher than the God you worship.
Which society are you referring to?

In some societies, rape and slavery is still legal and deemed moral.
Every evolutionary biologist on the face of the planet can supply you with the evidence you are ignorant to. You'r really not well read are you!!!!
You made the claim.

Why can't you back it up?

Do you think abiogenesis is real?

Oh, and if you're gonna talk shit about someone being stupid, at least spell "you're" right in your shit-talking sentence...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187220 Nov 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You thought Thinking is female, didn't you?
That's the real reason you asked this, now you're trying to play it off as some ridiculous homophobe test.
You're so full of shyt...
No, I assume he's a dude.

And I wouldn't felch ever.

Just wanted to see what kind of homophobic reaction I could get out of the homophobe.

They're really easy to spot.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187221 Nov 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>By the fact that I have never killed anyone make me automatically better than your God. I have already achieved a "greater good" than your God. And because I don't condones slavery or rape, it makes me more moral than your God. If we're created in God image it's no wonder some of us are murderers and immoral. Of course no one created us, we are in fact a product of evolution.
Interlocking little fingers and chanting, "evoluuuuuuuuution."

"evoluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuution." [laughing]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187222 Nov 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It makes me better because we know that killing is wrong, killing has always been wrong, we as a species have determined that killing is morally wrong, so I am automatically better in moral terms than someone who kills.
We as a society have also deemed slavery and rape as being immoral and wrong, since our human morality is all we have to measure, then anyone that commits or endorses slavery and rape is both wrong and immoral. Therefore My morals are higher than the God you worship.
Every evolutionary biologist on the face of the planet can supply you with the evidence you are ignorant to. You'r really not well read are you!!!!
You were in the US Army right?

The US Army has killed humans and even civilians.

There have been atrocities done by members of the US Army going back before the Civil War. Those atrocities even include rape of civilians.

Does this mean that you too are a murder and rapist? You were a member of that organization.

This is how youíre painting God. In my example I havenít shown you how the US Army help liberate Europe from a evil dictatorship. Saving perhaps millions of civilians including Jews who were being starved to death,

Doctor you donít live by your own standard. You paint God as evil yet paint yourself as more righteous than God. Your mind is polluted with self righteousness.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187223 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Then according to your understanding of evidence, DNA did not exist until there was evidence for it.
Imagine that.
blacklagoon wrote:
No it didn't and neither did Germs, electricity, electrons, protons, atoms, Pluto, computers, vaccines, airplanes, lasers, dinosaurs, all life in the mariana trench, nano-bots, artificial heart valves, joint replacements, washing machines, televisions..........should I keep going?
HAHA!

Germs didn't exist until we discovered them...

That's your argument?!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187224 Nov 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So your problem seems to be with the inability of science to see the future. Strange mindset, very weird!!!!
No.

You wrote: "When anything in question is observable and testable by science, when it becomes the absolute BEST explanation at this present time, it becomes a FACT."

Spontaneous generation was NEVER a fact, even though it was the best explanation for the time (2,000 years).

The Earth has NEVER been the center of the universe, even though it was the best explanation science had.

What the hell is wrong with you?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187225 Nov 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
You forgot the evil laugh...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAAA.....
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#187226 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I assume he's a dude.
And I wouldn't felch ever.
Just wanted to see what kind of homophobic reaction I could get out of the homophobe.
They're really easy to spot.
I looked at all Thinking's replies and I can't seem to find any that would warrant your "homophobe" test.
If there is, please show me.
I think you blurted out your stupid comment hoping that Thinking was female, then you found out a few posts later that Thinking is indeed a male, and this is a rather desperate attempt to cover another of your many asinine replies. You're attempting to hide your stupidity, but that's never an option for you.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187227 Nov 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a bigger idiot than you normally are today. Why do you think that is?
Your method of insulting someone doesnít make you look intelligent. Itís the Neanderthal method. Try putting some real thought before you annotate.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187228 Nov 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked at all Thinking's replies and I can't seem to find any that would warrant your "homophobe" test.
I think you blurted out your stupid comment hoping that Thinking was female, then you found out a few posts later that Thinking is indeed a male, and this is a rather desperate attempt to cover another of your many asinine replies. You're attempting to hide your stupidity, but that's never an option for you.
Does anyone really care what you think? Like it really matters?

You're a day late and a dollar short trying to catch the bus.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#187229 Nov 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know why you're laughing, you admitted to believing in evolution, did you not? Yeah I know, you believe in miro-evolution just not marco-evolution, which confirms you have no idea what the term evolution means, and here you belittle something for which you have no understanding. Not a very smart idea do you think?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187230 Nov 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
What would I care if Thinking was a broad or not?

I'm not here pretending it's a dating site.

He wrote:

"I'm mocking Buck's desire for anal rape."

and

"Try Buck. Is it your religion that has made you desperate for sex?"

and

"He takes turns throwing Buck's soap at the prison floor."

And when I asked him why he mocks homosexuality, I get the usual "I'm not a homophobe".

You said you checked.

You didn't do a good job.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#187231 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What produced the energy and mass, and when did it produce it?
Do you really truly believe, Buck, that putting in a man-created god figure to solve that mystery is sane? Kind of shoots your own theory in the foot, doesn't it, to suggest that something came from nothing, by an act of something that could not have existed if nothing existed?

Whether some people theorize that everything came from nothing, I don't believe that. I just don't think we have enough information yet to take us further back in the chain of events to see what came before what man has already discovered. Even what we know today about the past is a major accomplishment of man, because scientists have discovered means for determining how things work which are far beyond my ability to understand. Certainly, it is much easier for someone, who doesn't want to think, to just take the easy way out, and say that God waved his hand and 'poof' everything appeared. But that is too much like a child's fairy tale. Man would have long ago forgotten all of the 'God did it stories' except for the clever little ruse of threats of horrible unbearable torture for eternity, which has kept irrational beliefs alive, long after they should have died a natural death, as did all of the other invented beliefs that preceded them.

Location hidden

#187232 Nov 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dreams don't exist?
huh...
Did DNA exist before there was proof of it?
hmmm...
Are you sure you're thinking?
I think, RR, if you were to stop and consider your last several posts, you would see how you are digging yourself into a whole. You are arguing against yourself.

Location hidden

#187233 Nov 25, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
People can make the claim about god because they are not claiming god is matter.
You are making a claim for matter, that it existed.
If matter existed, it had electrons in motion.
What caused this? And when?
If you know the answer to that, Buck, why not tell us, rather than using that argument as if it is some sort of intellectual break through on your part? It still does not lead to us deciding that a belief created by man in an invisible never know to exist God did it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Agents of Corruption 1,224,912
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr State the Obvious 309,765
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) 22 hr robert walker 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Mon tom wingo 29,725
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
More from around the web