Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186586 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I've heard to have a beer, then a water, then a beer, etc. Is that sound advice?
Yes, if you can. Also, water before bed. You'll likely be up peeing at night, but that is more due to the diuretic effect of the beer than the water. Remember, the water is there to prevent relative dehydration facilitated by the diuretic effect of the alcohol.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186587 Nov 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> This is arguable however I do wonder why Buck has not donned leather wear and frequented the blue oyster bar. off to the ent ugh
Bongo, I'll whoop your big ass.

You hear me?

You know better than to give any nod of credibility to that description of me.

I take them on here with superior intellect and word skill.

And I win.

You are a marked man, my friend.

You have 1 ass-whoopin on deck. It has a batting donut on.

Fennario

#186588 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What do you mean by "the offending ions"?
Salivary stones are made up of calcuim, phosphate, and carbonate ions among other substances. When their concentration rises above a critical threshold, they precipitate out. Water is intended to dilute them. Water with calcium, phosphate or carbonate will not do this as well. By analogy, if you were trying to dilute saltwater, you would use freshwater, not more saltwater.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186589 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"Base of the nuclei" is a meaningless term. Do you mean that the nuclei of ordinary matter comprises neutrons and protons? That is correct. Did you mean that these were basic or fundamental particles? They are not. They are composite particle - triplets built of two of the six flavors of quarks each.
<quoted text>
You have no idea what I understand.
Furthermore, your comment is incorrect. There is more than "purely mathematics" supporting the standards model. The mathematical sciences like particle physics are supported by an interplay between mathematics and observation/experiment. I'm sure that you've heard of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. It is a physical object that produces physical data.
Via EM interactions and interpretations of their forces. It is all machinery.

The Higg's will change things because the values of force that used to be applied to the other components will have to be recalibrated. On the universal scale.

Yes, the nuclear article have been broken down into smaller components. Fancy that. I have posted about that quite a bit in the past. It is easy enough to figure out why and how when you quit worshipping the particle idols and start understanding how things move.

Ugh. One cigarette and 4 inches of snow. Wish I had another pack hidden somewhere and jumps out of hiding.

Location hidden

#186590 Nov 22, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think he does not don leather wear and frequent gay clubs, there is no evidence that he does not. To my knowledge he has never denied it
It is disproven by E=MC^2.

Bwahahahahahahahahhhaaaaa.aa.a .a.a.aaa....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186591 Nov 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, if you can. Also, water before bed. You'll likely be up peeing at night, but that is more due to the diuretic effect of the beer than the water. Remember, the water is there to prevent relative dehydration facilitated by the diuretic effect of the alcohol.
I took your advice yesterday. Not exactly, but pretty close. I'd have a few beers then a glass of water. Did that several times. And I did have a full glass of water before bed. And sure as shit, I got up twice last night to pee. But I feel good this morning, bright & peppy.

Thanks.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186592 Nov 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Salivary stones are made up of calcuim, phosphate, and carbonate ions among other substances. When their concentration rises above a critical threshold, they precipitate out. Water is intended to dilute them. Water with calcium, phosphate or carbonate will not do this as well. By analogy, if you were trying to dilute saltwater, you would use freshwater, not more saltwater.
Oh. That makes perfect sense.

No juice, just water.

Thanks again.

And FYI - sometimes with me, the best way to get something locked in my brain is with analogy...

Fennario

#186593 Nov 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Thank You Ians, You have been edifying in many ways. Heres a song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =C-30vYwgwJUXX
Great song. Thanks.

Suddenly, I could really go for a Sloppy Joe or a tuna casserole.

Location hidden

#186594 Nov 22, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing yet another faith based, unsupported opinion. Most theists share it.
<quoted text>
You're offering your faith based preferences as proven facts. Notice the difference in our demeanors:
You: "Earth is not and was not hospitable to life forming spontaneously"
Me: "It's very possible that life formed on earth repeatedly"
As for the ideal conditions for abiogenesis, these appear to include both the absence of competing life, and the addition of deep time. We do not expect abiogenesis to occur in the presence of other life, which is presumably why all life appears to have derived from a single primordial unicellular species with no extant competing lines, nor in the laboratory over a few years.
The physical environment of earth does not include time. Conditions are not and have never been hospitable to life forming spontaneously.

This is not faith-based; it is a known fact.

All life "derived from a single primordial unicellular species", on the other hand, IS faith-based.

I have no objection to diversity of faiths.

It's when claims of exclusivity of a particular faith rises up that it get off-putting.

Like you and the Christian fundamentalists.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186595 Nov 22, 2013
http://www.animatedscience.co.uk/ks5_physics/...

Pretty good little introduction to how magnetic fields interact.

You just have to remember this works down to the atomic level. There is not a monolithic field, it is a combo of the individual atoms working on each other. Those individual atoms get worked on by the cumulative field of others.

Note the chain of paperclips caught in a field and their relative values. This is the stuff you use to make things work. This bipolarity and relative values of it.

There is an interesting phenomenon though in all "magnetized", note that word, objects. That magnetically neutral portion between the poles. If you have two charged poles and a "neutral" in between, then you are tapping into another force to fill the disturbance of its equilibrium. Has to do with conservation of energy, etc.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186596 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is disproven by E=MC^2.
Bwahahahahahahahahhhaaaaa.aa.a .a.a.aaa....
I know, huh...

Doncha think a discovery like that would change the world?

Location hidden

#186597 Nov 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2HN/post 186347
<quoted text>
I started reading this thread again for stuff like that.
Thanks, man.

Location hidden

#186598 Nov 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I call it dissection, and I enjoy it more than the "debates" that take place here.
Do you get stitches afterward?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#186599 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The physical environment of earth does not include time. Conditions are not and have never been hospitable to life forming spontaneously.
This is not faith-based; it is a known fact.
All life "derived from a single primordial unicellular species", on the other hand, IS faith-based.
I have no objection to diversity of faiths.
It's when claims of exclusivity of a particular faith rises up that it get off-putting.
Like you and the Christian fundamentalists.
"The physical environment of earth does not include time."

Really? Can you tell us what excludes Earth from a one of the physical dimensions of the 4-D universe? Space/time is inseparable.

"Conditions are not and have never been hospitable to life forming spontaneously."

The modern abiogenesis hypothesis does not surmise life arose spontaneously.

"All life "derived from a single primordial unicellular species"

Is what the evidence points too.

Location hidden

#186600 Nov 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Please elaborate on something that you feel would be an experience of God. I'm asking genuinely.
Hitting Bongo in the nose.

Location hidden

#186601 Nov 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm....that's an interesting statement.
Thanks, Intensive Care Unit.

Location hidden

#186602 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>His cosmological argument is flawed, as are all arguments dealing with this premise. Thats something CAN'T come from nothing is an argument from ignorance. There is NO way to prove that something CANNOT come from nothing. In order to make the claim that something CAN"T come from nothing, you are required to have an example of nothing. We have examples of *something* but NO examples of nothing. Therefore to claim with certainty that SOMETHING CANNOT COME FOR NOTHING, is an unsupported claim, exactly the same as the claim that God exists. So until you can product and example of NOTHING, you have no leg to stand on claiming something cannot come from nothing.
B coming from A requires the existence of A.

A cannot both exist and not exist.

Therefore, something (B) cannot come from nothing (A).

You sissies in Boston should read more.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#186603 Nov 22, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Good day to you stranger, itÂ’s been a while, good to see you.

And a fine day to you Christine.

Been away having some summer fun, but sadly, summer is over.

I can s

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#186605 Nov 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
S
(Stupid smartphone)

See that not much has changed in my absence.

Location hidden

#186606 Nov 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence for abiogenesis is the same as there is for creation.
"Living things", so you defeated your argument from the start.
Evidence for god is zero... Despite centuries of searching for one, and trying to find it, has been 100% unsuccessful.
No provable instance of it has been observed in all of history, not one god, not even once.
But you are free to take it on faith.
God was made possible by shitting a book.
With Greco-Roman text.
I won't argue with your equating belief in abiogenesis with belief in god.

Have you told IAnus, because he believes it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min Grey Ghost 1,536,430
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 hr John-K 314,357
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr The pharts 33,111
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) May 16 Patriot 11,170
Penn State University & State College May 12 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr '17 DelucaKoehn 11
More from around the web